Chapter 1: Orientation

hoverfrog

9ab6d132b9f09ddee59c8f32978c441d.jpg Thandeka Sun-Steel - Human Cleric Application Sheet

AC: 14/16 | HP: 18/18 | Fortitude: +5 | Reflex: +4 | Will: +9 | Perception: +7

Interposing her body between the spellcasters and the powerful warrior-woman, Thandeka holds up her hands and tries to defuse the situation. She pointedly casts a meaningful glance in the direction of Teacher Ot, then calmly addresses Silas and Alandri. “Gentlemen, please. We are all here to learn, to better ourselves, at Magaambya, no matter what our backgrounds, ancestry and prior training. I for one am willing to open my mind to new ways of learning and -- hopefully -- will become a better person as result of all this. If you disagree with Teacher Ot's lessons or any of our future instructors' techniques, by all means, do something constructive about it. Use your influence to make things better not just for yourselves but for everyone else here at the academy. I am sure that such gainful efforts will win you not just the admiration of your fellow peers, but the respect of your families.”

Thandeka then steps next to the tall Matanji fighter and quietly whispers to her friend, "Your respect for our teachers is laudable, gentle Kaikara, but patience is required here, not confrontation. Be patient, my friend. Remember that Teacher Ot is watching and evaluating us all, and we have much to learn from him. Come. Let us try to decipher his riddle together."

The priestess of the Dawnflower then turns around, looking for help and advice from Lilly, who has remained silent throughout this exchange.

Pathbuilder Character Sheet

Mechanics/OOC

Free Action:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Main Hand: Open (Scimitar sheathed.)
Off Hand: Wooden Shield

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Edited by artsmythe (see edit history)

spacer.pngAlandri Malfore

AC: 15 HP: 12/12 Hero Points: 1

Fortitude: +3 Reflex: +5 Will: +5

Movement: 30ft |  Class DC: 17 Perception: +3

Skills: Acrobatics: +5*, Arcana: +6*, Athletics: +0, Crafting: +3, Deception: +7*, Diplomacy: +7*, Intimidation: +7*, Lore: Nantambe: +6, Medicine: +0, Nature: +3, Occultism: +3, Performance: +4, Religion: +0, Society: +3, Stealth: +2, Survival: +0, Thievery: +2

Active Effects: None Conditions: None

Alandri keeps his cool demeanor despite the menace he was facing from the orc fighter. He puts up his little annoying smirk as a counter to the Kiakara's promise to teach him a lesson. The puny sorcerer did not want to tussle with her whatsoever.

Thandeka in all her wisdom was certainly wise to step in before anything else could be said as Alandri was just about to quip back at Silas with words he would most likely regret. After her little speach he most certainly looked properly scolded by the priestess. Thandeka's words about getting respect from family seemed to sting a raw nerve in him that took every ounce of his already in short supply self control to stay cool. Especially after his conversation he had with his father right before coming here. 

I never thought that my father would actually cut me off. No matter. This is my family now whether I like it or not, so I guess it is time to play nice. Time to use the skill I didn't share before that my family taught me oh so well: Putting on a smile no matter what storm is going on inside. Skaro. 

Despite himself he couldn't help but shoot a glare at Silas before straightening his collar and speaking again with that hate to love smile, "my mistake ladies, I mean no disrespect. You are right, dear Thandeka, I should embrace new learning experiences whenever they come. It seems the rain has put me in a bit of a mood. Let me see what I can figure out." He ends again by throwing the priestess another wink.

Alandri shifts his focus to the snake and snaps his finger to send out a pulse and casts Detect Magic.

Mechanics

Detect Magic Cantrip 1

Cantrip Detection Divination 
Source Core Rulebook pg. 328 4.0
Traditions arcane, divine, occult, primal
Spell List elemental
Bloodlines imperial, genie, phoenix
Cast  somatic, verbal
Area 30-foot emanation

You send out a pulse that registers the presence of magic. You receive no information beyond the presence or absence of magic. You can choose to ignore magic you're fully aware of, such as the magic items and ongoing spells of you and your allies.

You detect illusion magic only if that magic's effect has a lower level than the level of your detect magic spell. However, items that have an illusion aura but aren't deceptive in appearance (such as an invisibility potion) typically are detected normally.

Heightened (3rd) You learn the school of magic for the highest-level effect within range that the spell detects. If multiple effects are equally strong, the GM determines which you learn.
Heightened (4th) As 3rd level, but you also pinpoint the source of the highest-level magic. Like for an imprecise sense, you don't learn the exact location, but can narrow down the source to within a 5-foot cube (or the nearest if larger than that).

Name
Recall Knowledge: Occult - Snake
1d20+3 1

Pathfinder Strength of Thousands Adventure Path | Paizo

Chapter 1: Kindled Magic

Magaambya

ArtStation - lie setiawanTeacher Ot hands the snake to Thandeka. She notices a tiny, hidden spike on the snake's tail. While she does so the teacher turns his smile on Alandri, "I told you, magic is all around. It takes many forms and can be seen in many ways. We start with living things because magic is most obvious there. The distinction you have been wizard and druid is a false one, they are simply different ways to explore magic."

There is more to reveal about the snake. One eye lacks the lustre of the other but it would take skill in anatomy or experimentation to determine if the colour is a sign of any secret the serpent keeps. There is also something about the patterning that reminds Silas of something about the spirit world that he heard.

Although he can detect no magic on the snake in the traditional sense his knowledge of the occult may tell him more. He does note that Ot's staff is magical.

OOC Scene Notes

The dormitory map is in the spoiler below.
Please use directions when moving (N, S, E, SE, W, etc)
We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.

Show Bookkeeping

COMBAT/CONDITIONS TRACKER

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

Silas Foljet Thandeka Sun-Steel

Alandri Malfore  

Show Active Map

SWj4yTQ.png

spacer.pngSilas Foljet - Catfolk Thaumaturge Application  Sheet

AC: 17 | HP: 17/17 | Fortitude: +6 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +4Perception: +4

Silas squints at the snake, the pattern if its scales sparking some recollection.

"As a Thaumaturge, I can tell you magic is more similar than different," he says sideways to Alandri. "Divine, arcane, occult, just different languages saying the same words. As for our serpentine friend, here..."

Mechanics/OOC

OOC: Occultism check

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Free Action:

Name
Recall/Occultism on snek (note that I have Dubious Knowledge)
1d20+5 6

KaikaraMagus(1).png.730b3b5a3f97473d414b1e83492122e3.pngKaikara, Demon-tainted Matanji outcast

AC: 18 | HIT POINTS: 21 | CURRENT: 21 | HERO POINTS: 1

FORTITUDE: +6 | REFLEX: +7 | WILL: +5 | PERCEPTION: +7

ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.

CONDITIONS: None.

Kaikara paused, it had happened so quickly, it felt as though her head snapped to and fro.  Silas, at first dismissing her as a bootlicker, because she, what?  Thought that their teacher deserved more respect than the arrogant sorcerer gave him, that the sorcerer presumed his importance in this, a place of privileged learning and study.  Then, quickly, she was dismissed, almost entirely, as a backward, uneducated, ignorant mind.  And why, she pondered, did those words cut so?  Likely because they held a strand of truth to them, or at least she believed they did.

Thandeka then defused the situation, reminding Kaikara that her actions were being evaluated, and could well lead to the refusal of admittance.  At that thought her wide stance, narrowed, her shoulders deflated.  Then, unexpectedly, Malfore offered an apology, though, as the Matanji saying went, Words were wind, unless they moved one to action.  So she bided her time, she did not expect to see Malfore's actions move in accordance to his words, though she had been wrong before.  Then Silas spoke something profound, different languages, same word, a thing could change, but it's nature remained.

"I--," she began, hesitantly, "I believe there is no secret to be discovered."  She spoke, softly, "At least not yet.  A snake sloughs it's skin when it grows too large, too quickly.  It is not yet ready to reveal it's secrets to us."  Patience, this test was to teach them patience, there weren't always answers, and sometimes the answer was just to wait.

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

9ab6d132b9f09ddee59c8f32978c441d.jpg Thandeka Sun-Steel - Human Cleric Application Sheet

"Oh, Kaikara. That's a very good point. Snakes do shed their skins. Maybe that's why this beautiful creature has a spike on its tail -- to help pull off its skin when it's ready. In any event, I wish I had thought of it. I... I guess I've been distracted of late." Thandeka deliberately tries to ignore the handsome sorcerer's latest flirtation.

Turning back to her friends, she then says, "Still, clever Silas has a valid observation. Perhaps magic can, indeed, be understood in many ways. Maybe if we can combine our different experiences and expertise, we might be able to decipher this new conundrum. Come, please. Let us all try."

The beautiful human lass gently holds out the Garundi shovel-snout snake for all to examine, its shiny scales glistening like tiny jewels. All the while she concentrates, trying mightily to solve the riddle.

Mechanics/OOC

Free Action:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Action 1: Tries to Recall Knowledge on snakes using Lore (Local Terrain).

Action 2: Tries to Recall Knowledge on snakes using Medicine.

Action 3: Tries to Recall Knowledge on snakes using Religion.

Name
LORE (Recall Knowledge)
1d20 +3 9
MEDICINE (Recall Knowledge)
1d20 +7 10
RELIGION (Recall Knowledge)
1d20 +7 12

Magaambya

ArtStation - lie setiawanWhile looking over the patterns Silas realizes that the snake was born alongside a shadow twin who watches events from the spirit world. Such a shadow twin is known to be the exact opposite of the physical world's twin. If one is evil, the other is good, if one is greedy the other is generous, cruelty is matched by kindness, and so on.

Thandeka considers the nature of snakes but is hard pressed to understand how this snake would differ from a hundred others that crawl upon the ground. She does see though that the lustreless eye is clouded behind the lens, which means it is probably blind in that eye, not that a snake relies much on eyesight as it remind her when it flicks its tongue out to taste the air.

Any of these facts could count as a secret but is it the one that Teacher Ot is seeking? At Kaikara announcement that the snake has no secret he shakes his head, "Is that your answer as a group?"

OOC Scene Notes

We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

Alandri Malfore  

Show Active Map

SWj4yTQ.png

spacer.pngSilas Foljet - Catfolk Thaumaturge Application  Sheet

AC: 17 | HP: 17/17 | Fortitude: +6 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +4Perception: +4

"Certainly not mine," Silas says, looking up from the snake to meet the eye of Teacher Ot. "The snake has a shadow twin, and I'll wager that, seeing as it is otherwise a normal snake, that would count as a secret inasmuch as it remains unrevealed to those lacking very specific knowledge."

Silas raises his eyebrows in both prompt and self-satisfaction, delivering his answer with confidence.

Mechanics/OOC

OOC:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Free Action:

KaikaraMagus(1).png.730b3b5a3f97473d414b1e83492122e3.pngKaikara, Demon-tainted Matanji outcast

Kaikara, for all her projected confidence felt, suddenly, very self-conscious as Silas, with as much arrogant confidence as Malfore, gave his answer.  She nodded her agreement, stepping back, and folding in on herself, slumping her shoulders, slouching, as though to make herself smaller than the wiry, catfolk.  For Silas had, once again, pointed out Kaikara's ignorance of matters arcane, her lack of knowledge, insight, or training in, even the most basic of arts.  She didn't understand why she was here, and suddenly, wanted, very much, to leave.

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Magaambya

ArtStation - lie setiawanTeacher Ot, a smile never far from his face, nods enthusiastically, "A shadow twin?" He examines the snake before putting it down and letting it slither away, "That is a secret indeed. There were others but I only asked for one. Well done."

"Kaikara, I do not try to trick my students but well done for having the courage to suggest an alternative. Not many would have spoken up with such a suggestion. Sometimes an answer will elude you. There is no shame in admitting that."

Ot suddenly beckons over another student who was nervously standing behind all of you, "Anchor Root, allow me to introduce the new students who will be sharing the dormitory with you. They have already moved into their rooms," He goes on to give all your names. 

image.png.fa7da66f2255fa02aaf0d5231edb35e4.pngAnchor Root is a small humanoid, about three feet tall. She resembles an aardwolf more than a deadly carnivore but you know that she is an ant gnoll, a rare breed of pigmy gnolls. There are few tribes of ant gnolls known. She looks down at her feet and you get the impression that under her fur she is blushing, "Anchor Root of the R..R..Redridge Clan. I am p..p..pleased to meet you all."

"I'm going to be the B..Bonekeeper of my Clan one day."

ArtStation - lie setiawan"And a fine Bonekeeper you'll be," Ot interrupts, "I'm glad you were here, Anchor Root because I have another test for your new fellow students. Do you have a bone in your pouch that you could lend to us?"

Anchor Root nods. She reaches into a pouch at her belt and draws out a small jawbone from some sort of canine predator. Long, sharp fangs are still attached to the jaw though it is clean of any flesh, "Very fierce looking, Students, look at the power of these jaws. This belonged to a hunter that used her speed and strength to survive every day. Her life was violent as that is the price a hunter pays for survival. Can you soothe the soul of this bone?"

A difficult question for new students. How does one soothe a spirit? Some ritual or rite perhaps? Once again you are left to interpret the question and devise an answer.

OOC Scene Notes

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

Alandri Malfore  

Show Active Map

SWj4yTQ.png

spacer.pngAlandri Malfore

AC: 15 HP: 12/12 Hero Points: 1

Fortitude: +3 Reflex: +5 Will: +5

Movement: 30ft |  Class DC: 17 Perception: +3

Skills: Acrobatics: +5*, Arcana: +6*, Athletics: +0, Crafting: +3, Deception: +7*, Diplomacy: +7*, Intimidation: +7*, Lore: Nantambe: +6, Medicine: +0, Nature: +3, Occultism: +3, Performance: +4, Religion: +0, Society: +3, Stealth: +2, Survival: +0, Thievery: +2

Active Effects: None Conditions: None

When the jaw is brought before the group, Alandri cannot help but roll his eyes so hard he thinks he pulls a muscle in his eye socket. Maybe that ache is from trying to decipher the snake. After the sorcerer realizes that he made such an expression he quickly glances over Kaikara to see if she notices. He tries to recover quickly by trying to engage in the test and turns towards Anchor Root to address her, “Might I ask a question of you? How did it die?”

Magaambya

image.png.fa7da66f2255fa02aaf0d5231edb35e4.pngAnchor Root's eyes go wide when addressed by Alandri, "I..I..I didn't kill it. I just found the bone."

"I collect them." She looks around, at the edge of panic, "I'm going to b..b..be a bonekeeper. I like to examine them."

OOC Scene Notes

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

Alandri Malfore  

Show Active Map

SWj4yTQ.png

Edited by hoverfrog (see edit history)

DESCRIPTION Lilly is a small, slender fleshwarp. She mostly resembles a very young halfling lass except for her face. Her head is shorter that what normally would be expected, without having a lower jaw at all. Her eyes are half again larger than typical for the size of her head. Her nose is extremely flat and much longer than most but joined along the bottom. It works much like the gills of a fish in that it has vertical flaps of skin that resemble slender vents. She has no mouth and her voice comes through the air vents of her "nose" instead.

She favors black and gray clothing colors.

WiP
| APPLICATION | SHEET
spacer.pngLilly and Moz
Female, Neutral Good, Fleshwarp (Created), Witch 1

AC: 16 | HP: 17/17 | S/D/C/I/W/C: +0/+2/+1/+4/+1/+1 | F/R/W: +4/+5/+6 | Move: 25' | Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception +4
Trained: Acrobatics +5, Arcana +7, Athletics +3, Intimidate +4, L:Farming +7, L:Milling +7, Occult +7, Society+7, Stealth +5, Survival +4, Thievery +5
Untrained: Crafting +4, Deception +1, Diplomacy +1, Medicine +1, Nature +1, Performance +1, Religion +1

Lily hadn't heard of such a thing nor was she certain that a bone of a clearly long dead creature could hold a soul. Of course, perhaps she was thinking too literally, something she had a tendency to do. Still, she found this Anchor fellow quite interesting at the moment. Something new for her to learn about immediately was something she could focus on directly and the bone itself was simply that, a bone. It wasn't in the least interesting to Lilly, not really. She'd seen piles of bones before and they were boring, dull things. This new fellow on the other hand with his funny new word, now that was intriguing to her.

"Hello there, I am Lilly and what exactly, if you don't mind me asking, Anchor, is a bonekeeper? I've never heard of such a thing before. I mean, you like to examine them but what does a bonekeeper do?" She is clearly serious and quite curious about it. In fact, the new term is something so interesting to the young witch that she's completely distracted from teacher Ot's actual question.

OoC

Summary: ???

Reaction: ??
Action 1: ???
Action 2: ???
Action 3: ???

Offenses (Attack +6):
Dagger (+6; 1d4-1; Agile, Finesse, Thrown 10', Versatile S)
Throwing Knife (+6; 1d4-1; Agile, Finesse, Thrown 20')

Spells (Attack +7, DC 17):
Cantrips

Detect Magic spacer.png (--; --; 30' emanation; --; Registers magic in the area)
Electric Arc spacer.png (--; 1d4+4 electricity; 30'; Ref DC 17; One or two targets)
Mage Hand 
spacer.png (--; --; 30'; --; Targets 1 unattended object of light Bulk or less)
Ray of Frost spacer.png (+7; 1d4+4 cold; 120'; --; Targets 1 creature, does double damage on a critical and inflicts a -10' status penalty to the targets speeds for 1 round)
Shield spacer.png (--; --; --; --; Grants a shield of magical force until the start of your next turn that grants a +1 circumstance bonus to your AC and has Hardness 5)
Level 1
Mage Armor 
spacer.png (--; --; --; --; +1 item bonus to AC,  max Dex mod +5. While wearing mage armor, you use your unarmored proficiency to calculate your AC.)
??? spacer.png (--; --; --; --; --)

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)

Kaikara listened to the question, inspected the jawbone when it was presented, holding it in her hand, closing her eyes as she did so.  She looked from the diminuitive Anchor Root, to the group and back.  She empathized with the, obviously, very nervous looking Bonekeeper, curious what traditions she had learned to sooth the spirits of the departed from her own tribe.  She looked ack to Teacher Ot, "I," 'can only tell you what my savage, backward thinking mind', a pause, as she left words unspoken, Silas' scathing remark still stinging in her thoughts, "can only tell you how I, given my lack of ability in the area of spirits, would do.  I would fashion the jaw bone into a knife, sharpen the edge, and wrap the hilt in leather.  As a skinning knife, the spirit within could continue to taste the blood and flesh of it's prey."

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Thandeka is surprised at the shrewd and rapid analysis that the catfolk thaumaturge displayed so readily. “A ‘shadow twin’? What in the Mwangi Expanse is that? How does Silas know these things? There is so much that I do not know.” The priestess then started wondering about her own worthiness to her village, her family and Magaambya Academy.

She would have decided then and there to give up, but she couldn’t help but notice Kaikara’s own obvious battle with self-doubt. Thandeka quietly reaches out to hold the warrior-maiden's powerful hand in solidarity. And when her friend Lilly unashamedly speaks up expressing her own ignorance and curiosity, she remembers that that after all was why she was at the fabled learning institution – to learn and to grow. Ignorance is not a sin, not in the eyes of the benevolent Sarenrae.

The human tries to focus on what is being discussed, but she also tries to calm the agitated pygmy gnoll. “There, there, Anchor Root. All will be well. I just know it. And I know that you will make a marvelous, um, ‘bonekeeper’.”

Mechanics/OOC

Free Action:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Action 1: 

Action 2:

Action 3: