Chapter 1: Orientation

hoverfrog

spacer.pngSilas Foljet - Catfolk Thaumaturge Application  Sheet

AC: 17 | HP: 17/17 | Fortitude: +6 | Reflex: +6 | Will: +4Perception: +4

"Hmmm. Soothe the spirit in the bone? One ponders if this is some manner of metaphor," the latest scion of the House of Foljet thinks aloud as he mulls over the question.

Mechanics/OOC

OOC:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Free Action:

Name
Recall Knowledge: Society
1d20+5 10
Esoteric Knowledge
1d20+7 17

Pathfinder Strength of Thousands Adventure Path | Paizo

Chapter 1: Kindled Magic

Magaambya

image.png.fa7da66f2255fa02aaf0d5231edb35e4.pngA bonekeeper is a kind of repository of the lore of the tribe. They often double as witch doctors, healers, and defenders of their tribe. Anchor Root tries to explain, "A b..b..bonekeeper keeps the bones of our tribe and carves the history of the individual on them." She stutters to a halt, looking down at her feet, "A great leader who dies c..c..could have the tales of their leadership carved into their bones. A c..c..craftsman might have images of their greatest works set into bone. It..it really depends. Bonekeepers keep the bones of the tribe safe and our a..a..ancestor's alive."

When she finishes her description she looks just about ready to bolt or burst into tears.

image.png.9144b5d8a94852ceac1ff78f9d04686c.pngTeacher Ot listen to Kaikara's idea with interest, "So, like the Bonekeeper, you would carve the jawbone to reflect the spirit within?"

He scans the remaining faces, "Are you all in agreement?"

Anchor Root, her near panic apparently forgotten in an instant, waits for your response with interest.

"Do you have tools to carve the Bone with you?" You see the small gnoll reach into her kit bag but her hand does draw anything out yet.

Silas believes that the task is deliberately being left open to assess your solution as much as how you interpret the question. There are numerous funeral rites that are designed to soothe the spirits of the dead, some quite bizarre. The orc tribes who ride gorthek have been known to eat mounts that die in combat as a way to honour them. Burial at sea is common among coastal people.

The living dead typically require channelled, divine energy to put them to rest though this bone is not undead, perhaps that is what Teacher Ot means. Silas feels that it is up to the group to decide and present their case.

OOC Scene Notes

The dormitory map is in the spoiler below.
Please use directions when moving (N, S, E, SE, W, etc)
We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.

Show Bookkeeping

COMBAT/CONDITIONS TRACKER

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

Silas Foljet Thandeka Sun-Steel

Alandri Malfore  

Show Active Map

SWj4yTQ.png

Edited by hoverfrog (see edit history)

9ab6d132b9f09ddee59c8f32978c441d.jpg Thandeka Sun-Steel - Human Cleric Application Sheet

AC: 14/16 | HP: 18/18 | Fortitude: +5 | Reflex: +4 | Will: +9 | Perception: +7

Something that the teacher says sparks a memory in the young priestess' mind. Something about "spirits"....

Pathbuilder Character Sheet

Mechanics/OOC

Free Action:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Main Hand: Open (Scimitar sheathed.)
Off Hand: Wooden Shield

Action 1: 

Action 2:

Action 3:

Edited by artsmythe (see edit history)
Name
Religion
1d20 +7 17

DESCRIPTION Lilly is a small, slender fleshwarp. She mostly resembles a very young halfling lass except for her face. Her head is shorter that what normally would be expected, without having a lower jaw at all. Her eyes are half again larger than typical for the size of her head. Her nose is extremely flat and much longer than most but joined along the bottom. It works much like the gills of a fish in that it has vertical flaps of skin that resemble slender vents. She has no mouth and her voice comes through the air vents of her "nose" instead.

She favors black and gray clothing colors.

WiP
| APPLICATION | SHEET
spacer.pngLilly and Moz
Female, Neutral Good, Fleshwarp (Created), Witch 1

AC: 16 | HP: 17/17 | S/D/C/I/W/C: +0/+2/+1/+4/+1/+1 | F/R/W: +4/+5/+6 | Move: 25' | Senses: Low-Light Vision, Perception +4
Trained: Acrobatics +5, Arcana +7, Athletics +3, Intimidate +4, L:Farming +7, L:Milling +7, Occult +7, Society+7, Stealth +5, Survival +4, Thievery +5
Untrained: Crafting +4, Deception +1, Diplomacy +1, Medicine +1, Nature +1, Performance +1, Religion +1

It was clear to Lilly that Anchor was quite nervous to say the least. She lowered her voice and spoke to her quietly for a moment, leaning in close so her words were less for the group and more for the pygmy gnoll only. As Lilly herself was quite small she thought she might be less intimidating than the others. "Thank you for that information Anchor. I come from a culture that practices different customs for honoring and allowing our people to pass on. So learning what a bonekeeper is and what you would do is quite interesting. I'm most certain you will become a wonderful bonekeeper!" She nodded to Anchor.

Turning towards teacher Ot and took a step forward to address him. "If one is to deal with a spirit I should think that the spirit itself would determine how it should be handled. Anchor, as part of her tribe, and I'm certain a very skilled bonekeeper, will follow the traditions and practices for her people. My people buried their dead and we had our own ceremonies of passing that we would perform. For us it was more about the natural cycle of the world and once again becoming part of that. Except for my father... not him. My father was certainly not interested in soothing spirits, he was more about stirring them up and dragging them back from their rest." Her words ended in an almost trumpet like exclamation chopped short, a sort of chuff that was clearly an expression of anger. Her voice once again calm she shrugged. "I should think the spirit of such a creature would want, more than anything, to still be part of the hunt itself. Perhaps it would find its own peace as part of a weapon, something used to in fact hunt, just as it had in life. A bow, used by a hunter to take down prey or even something as simple as a skinning knife used on that prey. For this wild hunter perhaps being soothed is different than what each of us might want..." Her voice trailed off and she stepped back.

OoC

I added a couple dice rolls but Lilly's just sort of chatting and putting out her opinion based on her experiences more than anything else. Living in a town full of restless spirits, evil, and undead caused / created by her father as a harsh contrast to what the small town had been when she was "alive" giving her somewhat of a unique perspective I should think. 😉

Summary: ???

Reaction: ??
Action 1: ???
Action 2: ???
Action 3: ???

Offenses (Attack +6):
Dagger (+6; 1d4-1; Agile, Finesse, Thrown 10', Versatile S)
Throwing Knife (+6; 1d4-1; Agile, Finesse, Thrown 20')

Spells (Attack +7, DC 17):
Cantrips

Detect Magic spacer.png (--; --; 30' emanation; --; Registers magic in the area)
Electric Arc spacer.png (--; 1d4+4 electricity; 30'; Ref DC 17; One or two targets)
Mage Hand 
spacer.png (--; --; 30'; --; Targets 1 unattended object of light Bulk or less)
Ray of Frost spacer.png (+7; 1d4+4 cold; 120'; --; Targets 1 creature, does double damage on a critical and inflicts a -10' status penalty to the targets speeds for 1 round)
Shield spacer.png (--; --; --; --; Grants a shield of magical force until the start of your next turn that grants a +1 circumstance bonus to your AC and has Hardness 5)
Level 1
Mage Armor 
spacer.png (--; --; --; --; +1 item bonus to AC,  max Dex mod +5. While wearing mage armor, you use your unarmored proficiency to calculate your AC.)
??? spacer.png (--; --; --; --; --)

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)
Name
Occultism
1d20+7 15
Society
1d20+7 3

Magaambya

image.png.cdd826dc5e8011a8a27dfc23dba379d8.png

Teacher Ot continues to smile and listen to the exchange between you, "Knowledge can take you only so far."

Thandeka's knowledge of various faiths reveals funeral rites that placate spirits or encourage them to rest in the afterlife. Assuming animals have some sort of animism based faith or idea of an existence after death then their bones should follow that process. A predator may well want an eternal hunt as an afterlife so carving or using the bone in a weapon would seem appropriate.

"I think you are in agreement. Do you have the skill to begin?"

OOC Scene Notes

Teacher Ot is asking for a Crafting check, not to finish making a weapon but to begin the process.

We are not in initiative so your movement or actions per post is not limited to round actions.

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

Alandri Malfore  

Show Active Map

SWj4yTQ.png

9ab6d132b9f09ddee59c8f32978c441d.jpg Thandeka Sun-Steel - Human Cleric Application Sheet

Thandeka nods in agreement with Lilly, pleased that her learned friend has confirmed the priestess' very thoughts on the subject, but the young human blushes. "Forgive me, Teacher Ot, but I have little to no skill in crafting an appropriate tribute to this creature's life. Perhaps one of the others...?"

Mechanics/OOC

Free Action:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Action 1: 

Action 2:

Action 3:

KaikaraMagus(1).png.730b3b5a3f97473d414b1e83492122e3.pngKaikara, Demon-tainted Matanji outcast

AC: 18 | HIT POINTS: 21 | CURRENT: 21 | HERO POINTS: 1

FORTITUDE: +6 | REFLEX: +7 | WILL: +5 | PERCEPTION: +7

ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.

CONDITIONS: None.

Like Thandeka, Kaikara knew she did not have the skills to craft the skinning knife on her own, nor, even, the tools to make such an attempt, so she looked from the jaw-bone to Teacher Ot.  "I do not have the skills to attempt such an endeavor."  She looked down, shuffling from one foot to the other, she fully expected some scathing remark on her lack of education, as it related to Magaambya as a whole.  "Though, should our studies allow, I would be interested in learning."

Out of Character

Free Action:

Reaction:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Silas snorts and folds his arms languidly, tilting his head to one side.

"I think Anchor Root should do it. None of us know how. And you may call this conjecture, but I believe that the relationship between spirits and objects is symbolic in many ways. What matters to the spirit, in my humble opinion, is that the effort is made by one who knows what it represents and shares those feelings. Which, as nonadherents all, we do not, sympathize as we may or mayn't. So who better to carve the bone, than the Bonekeeper-to-be?"

Silas punctuates his remark with an eyebrow waggle and a confident smirk towards the nervous Gnoll.

Mechanics/OOC

OOC:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Free Action:

spacer.pngAlandri Malfore

AC: 15 HP: 12/12 Hero Points: 1

Fortitude: +3 Reflex: +5 Will: +5

Movement: 30ft |  Class DC: 17 Perception: +3

Skills: Acrobatics: +5*, Arcana: +6*, Athletics: +0, Crafting: +3, Deception: +7*, Diplomacy: +7*, Intimidation: +7*, Lore: Nantambe: +6, Medicine: +0, Nature: +3, Occultism: +3, Performance: +4, Religion: +0, Society: +3, Stealth: +2, Survival: +0, Thievery: +2

Active Effects: None Conditions: None

Alandri lets out a sigh of relief. He didnt know what to do here, but Silas’s suggestion seems like an excellent one to him. Alandri takes the jaw and crouches down in front of the Anchor Root to get on her level. He addresses the gnoll directly with that smile that annoyingly seems to sparkle, “In a weird aligning of the stars I am in agreement with the Foljet.” 

Alandri places the jaw in her hand and closes her fingers around it gently. He speaks softly to her and says, “take this jaw and let it be a part of your hunt. Carve your journey on it and the beast will share your story. You will make a wonderful bone keeper.”

Mechanics

Name
Diplomacy
1d20+7 4

Magaambya

image.png.fa7da66f2255fa02aaf0d5231edb35e4.png

"I..I..I," Anchor Root stammers, looking left and right, possibly for a way to escape, "I'm n..n..not very good with my hands. I c...c...could ask Tzeniwe to help me."

She seems to perk up at the idea, "T..t..teacher Ot asked if you could s..s..soothe the soul of the bone. He didn't say that you should do it. M..m..maybe Tzeniwe c..c..could do the actual carving?"

It comes out as a request but then she closes her eyes and repeats it, "Tzeniwe could do the actual carving to sooth the soul of this bone."

image.png.cdd826dc5e8011a8a27dfc23dba379d8.png

Teacher Ot smiles approvingly, "Well done, my students. You are yet to meet Tzeniwe but I commend your insight and cooperation. Anchor Root, you are growing ever more confident in your abilities. Skill will follow practice. Perhaps you could ask Tzeniwe to tutor you while you perform the carving. That is if you can convince Zachva and Zanvi to spare their mother the time."

"There is one more task I have for you," he dismisses the little gnoll before continuing, "This should be simple after the other tasks."

He spins his fingers in the air and seems to pluck a stone from nowhere. Handing it to you, you note that it is a smooth, flat rock, a little smaller than the palm of a hand, "Can you make this stone dance by itself?"

OOC Scene Notes

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

Alandri Malfore  

Show Active Map

SWj4yTQ.png

Thandeka ponders this latest problem... and gets an idea. Smiling, she holds out her hand for the stone, and then asks, "With your permission, Teacher Ot?" Next she proceeds to extract a veil from her pouch. She then hands one end of the humble cloth to Lilly and the other... to Silas. "Master Foljet, if you please?"

Looking at the two of them, the priestess adds, “Now, please, pull the ends and keep the veil taut between you. Thank you.”

As the two of them hold the veil between them, Thandeka then takes the stone and... drops it onto the material, whereupon it bounces merrily for a bit before settling down.

Mechanics/OOC

Free Action:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Action 1: 

Action 2:

Action 3:

Silas obliges Thandeka with a polite nod, clearly happy to lend a hand (or paw), smiling ever so slightly as the priestess' idea unfolds.

Mechanics/OOC

OOC:

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Free Action:

Magaambya

image.png.cdd826dc5e8011a8a27dfc23dba379d8.png"Very well reasoned, well done," Teacher Ot, beings to draw shapes with the tip of his staff, magically conjuring glowing symbols in the air and says, "You see six symbols before you. Which do you choose?"

The six symbols seem related to the questions and the aptitude tests, a flickering candle, balanced scales, a key with many prongs, pursed lips, an open palm wiht an eye in the palm, and a running hourglass, "These will help kindle the innate magical talent's that each of you hold within you into a spell."

A hero who selects a symbol gains a cantrip as an innate spell, which you can cast at will. If you already know the cantrip, choose another arcane or primal cantrip that you don’t already know that seems appropriate for your symbol choice. When you choose the druid or wizard multiclass archetype at 2nd level, the greater magical lore they’ve unlocked replaces this minor spark of magic. If you decide not to choose a symbol you gain no cantrip but instead gain a a +1 status bonus to saving throws against spells until you reach 2nd level.

Glowing Symbol

Flickering Candle: The hero gains dancing lights as a primal innate spell.
Balanced Scales: The hero gains guidance as a primal innate spell.
Multipronged Key: The hero gains mage hand as an arcane innate spell.
Pursed Lips: The hero gains message as an arcane innate spell.
Open Hand with an Eye in the Palm: The hero gains shield as an arcane innate spell.
Running Hourglass: The hero gains stabilize as a primal innate spell.

OOC Scene Notes

Show Bookkeeping

INITIATIVE CONDITIONS

MECHANICS DESCRIPTIONS

Not in Use!!

Default Marching Order

CHARACTER STATUS

Kaikara Lilly

Alandri Malfore  

EXPERIENCE TRACKER

150xp from the aptitude tests.

Show Active Map

SWj4yTQ.png

Edited by hoverfrog (see edit history)

spacer.pngAlandri Malfore

AC: 15 HP: 12/12 Hero Points: 1

Fortitude: +3 Reflex: +5 Will: +5

Movement: 30ft |  Class DC: 17 Perception: +3

Skills: Acrobatics: +5*, Arcana: +6*, Athletics: +0, Crafting: +3, Deception: +7*, Diplomacy: +7*, Intimidation: +7*, Lore: Nantambe: +6, Medicine: +0, Nature: +3, Occultism: +3, Performance: +4, Religion: +0, Society: +3, Stealth: +2, Survival: +0, Thievery: +2

Active Effects: None Conditions: None

Alandri steps forward and stands in front of teacher Ot and says, "I will take the keys professor. I wish to unlock what knowledge I can of magic and learn their secrets for myself. I wish to better myself and the ones that I love with the knowledge that this school can give."

There is an awkward pause as Alandri stands there waiting. "Oh is there something I'm supposed to do? Do I need to take the symbol out of the air or what not. Not sure what the next step is here."

Mechanics

Edited by MinjaMan (see edit history)

Thandeka carefully scrutinizes each and every floating sigil. Each offered the students much reward, she was sure, so she had to be as sure as she could that she wouldn't make any mistake.

Her sensitive hand hesitates in front of the symbol that resembles an Open Hand with an Eye in the Palm. There was something there, something attractive, alluring, but she then moves deliberately to the floating sign of the Flickering Candle. It seemed right, it seemed proper, for her to make this selection. After all, has not the goddess Sarenrae always lit Thandeka's pathway through life?

Confidently, she announces to the pedagogue, "Teacher Ot, I choose this one."

Mechanics/OOC

Free Action:

Action:

Bonus Action:

Action 1: 

Action 2:

Action 3: