Chapter 2 — The Long and Winding Road

iantruesilver

T'Sarra Only

spacer.pngUpstairs in front of Domino and Violet's room, the door is slightly ajar.  Inside, knelt on the ground beside a small desk is Violet, her a scrap of paper in her hands.  Sitting between her heels, the android seems focused on whatever is on the piece of paper, and for some moments does not notice you enter.

Gone is her bright expression of radiance and cheery if poorly excuted humming of a happy tune, replaced by a look of misery and concern.

Eventually, she looks up and, her expression is one of mixed incomprehension and dismay.  There is a tear in her eye, one that she is probably not yet aware of.

"Domino is gone..."  Is all she manages to mutter, extending the piece of paper in her hand toward you.

spacer.png

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

image.jpeg.3f95306a23dfeb7a6f315970d6687d0e.jpeg

Statblock

Vrilundass 'Vri' Arund

Female NG Half-elf Swashbuckler, Level 1, Init 3, HP 4/11, Speed 30ft
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   
silversheen, MC rapier +5 (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
cold iron dagger +4 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
shortbow (20)+4 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 15
Condition None

Hero points: 1/1

Vri was surprised at the anger in T'Sarra's voice.  She didn't like those guys either, but in this region one had to be a bit careful as the Tech League was quite present and had a long arm.  So it might be best to keep a bit quiet, at least for now.

"Does anybody know how that light in Torch came to be?  And how one might actually turn it off?  I doubt it's just turning a knob."

OOC

Rain-in-Summer

B8278D38-D56D-4D10-84D2-D1157F76821D.png.118b158dda0b886a8d97c1aa24ef7467.png“Your father taught Jerry and I much, and we have more to learn from him. We will help you. But if the League may be involved, we shouldn’t rush in underprepared. We need to be able to better heal our wounds, and I would like to purchase a high quality Buckler for myself before we depart. Did you manage to procure any useful items last night?” Rain asks Barhuce and Val.

The Plump Pearl — Common Room

spacer.png"From what I understand, the flame just burst into being a hundred and some years ago," Zyrel explained in response to Vrilundass's questions, "Before that, there wasn't even really so much of a town, besides some sparse farming activity in the area."

"Nobody's really ever thought to control it much more than using it to forge skymetal, much less trying to turn anything on or off…"  He continued, detailing some of what he knows of the subject, "The thing's literally just a big man-sized flame shooting out of the ground at the top of Black Hill, ain't like there's any bellows or anything, or even any coals so far as I know of."

"Well last time I looked, there hasn't been any movement from the Technic League yet, but that's likely because we had already sent our tithe up north to them for the month," Turning to Rain, the elf nods to acknowledge her agreement to help as well, as he tries to allay her concerns, "But who knows how much longer we can keep paying them if we don't fix whatever's going on…  Especially when some of the townsfolk are already grumbling about how high the taxes are…"

Name
Knowledge (Local)
1d20+8 20

spacer.pngVal nods to Rain.  "There wasn't a lot of amazing stuff there, but I got a masterwork buckler, a potion of enlarge person, a scroll of comprehend languages, and a wand with a light cure spell that had five charges."

T'Sarra Khonnor 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 9/11  | AC 18(+1 vs robots)Fort (2) - Reflex (3) - Will (2) 

"It's ok darling," she looked at the note, then realizing it wasn't addressed to her stopped reading. The intent seemed clear though.

"She's got her own road to walk. With luck ours will cross hers again sometime soon."

She reached out for Violet's hand, if she'd allow that, then led her downstairs.

"We're going to need more than five charges, well four now," T'Sarra interrupted as she led Violet into the common room. She handed Val the note addressed to her then reached for the wand, tapping herself with it.

"I didn't read it too close, but seems Domino has gone off on her own way." T'Sarra shrugged. Fair enough. She was eager to get to Torch, no need to go off running after Domino.

Edited by ccanary (see edit history)
Name
CLW wand
1d8+1 3

Statblock

Vrilundass 'Vri' Arund

AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 15, Fort 0, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   
Condition None

"That's her choice," Vri simply said, "If we want to move quickly, we'll need horses.  I can go and have a look for those if you want.  While I'm by no means an expert, I've been around horses in the circus for quite some time so I know the basics."

OOC

spacer.pngVal looks to Vri and nods, "Keep track of the money you spend, we'll make sure everyone gets a share, especially after we sell the horses back in Torch.  Do you think you know enough about horses to help those with no riding experience?  Oh, and don't forget feed and waterskins, all the tack we need."

As she reads the letter her face goes dark, under her breath you may hear her mutter something like, "Drama queen...".

Val walks over to Violet and puts a hand on her shoulder, "This has nothing to do with you... this is an old matter between us that I have learned in the past few days was mostly in her head.  Please don't feel that you were any part of this... if it wasn't you, she would have picked something else to proclaim her outrage over."  Val sighs and folds the letter up, putting it in a pouch, "So, changing the course of my whole life, three years preparing to search for you, finally finding you, helping you escape captivity along with all of us... and this is what you have to say."

Edited by Wiz (see edit history)

Statblock

Vrilundass 'Vri' Arund

Condition None

"Well, as long as we're not galloping or jumping over stuff," Vri said, "it shouldn't pose a problem.  We'll just have to put someone who has some clue about riding on the alpha horse and the rest will follow.  But it would be good if someone comes along, as getting four horses back will be tricky with just one person."

OOC

spacer.pngViolet was following behind T'Sarra's step as she came back downstairs and handed the letter to Val. Having read its contents upstairs, Violet kept deathly silent, and when Val came to touch her shoulder, the android moved forward and clutched the human girl in her arms. At length she said, still holding Val close to her chest, "Val… I will stay with you, if that is what you wish."

After a light breakfast at the Plump Pearl, that's included on the house with your stay, the group was informed by the barmaid Alliandra of a reliable horse tender, the Round Pen, just outside the city gates on this side of the river behind the Lady's Palace.

spacer.pngVal stands, being held by and holding the android.  "You may stay with me as long as you wish, because that is what I wish."

Val will go, if nobody else is going with Vri to purchase the horses, but she will suggest that the group go as a whole to the Round Pen, that way no one will end up with a horse they don't feel comfortable with.

Statblock

Vrilundass 'Vri' Arund

Condition None

"Not a bad idea," Vri said, at Val's suggestion, "we have to go that way anyway."

After packing, she would head out to the Round Pen to have a look at the horses, taking the ones they already had with them with the carts.  They might actually sell the carts there if they didn't need them.

She would have a look around for some good horses, but not needing combat trained ones and knowing that most people, including herself, weren't used to riding horses, she would try to find easy ones to ride.

OOC

going for light riding horses, saddles and stuff and some extra fodder

spacer.pngMaking your way out of the Plump Pearl, you follow the barmaid's directions out of the city, which ran something to the tune of, "Hang a left at the main road, go all the way to the palace wall, turn right and follow it around until you find the city gates.  Then outside'a that it's the last building on your left.  Can't miss it."

At the Round Pen, you make a transaction to sell off your carts, and pick up four light horses with saddles and all, plus a total of twenty-five days worth of feed.

After a quick primer on riding with the stablemaster, you're off along the road following the Seven Tears, headed upstream slightly north but mainly towards the west.  You know that staying with the riverbank will get you to Torch in about four day's worth of time, given appropriate rest for yourselves and the horses.

[[ Map — Hajoth Hakados ]]

(( Table is yours for the moment for RP while on the road.  Please roll a perception check with your next post. ))

Name
???? (1-75 N,76-95 E,96-100 H)
65; 83; 36; 24
1d100;1d100;1d100;1d100 [65]; [65,83]; [65,83,36]; [65,83,36,24]

T'Sarra Khonnor 

EmSbKrE.jpg?1HP 9/11  | AC 18(+1 vs robots)Fort (2) - Reflex (3) - Will (2) 

T'Sarra clearly did not enjoy riding. And she was no better at it than she felt she was. The prehensile tail didn't help matters. So she held on to the horse for dear life, until every muscle in her body ached, didn't say much and snapped when spoken to, fearing it would break her concentration. Overall a very stressful experience!

She tried to watch the horizon, the sides of the roads, anywhere at all really to take her mind off of the sickly wobble of her mount and the pain in her backside.

Name
roll
1d20+6 15

Statblock

Vrilundass 'Vri' Arund

Condition None

Vri rode quite comfortable.  While she hadn't trained like a lot of soldiers or nobles did, she had a natural dexterity that allowed her to stay on reasonably comfortable and it wasn't her first time on horseback.  She would give small tips to those who clearly weren't natural riders.  And in the evening she would propose to massage the legs of those who had leg cramps so they would be able to continue the next day.

OOC

Name
perception
1d20+7 15