Chapter 01a: When Home Burns (Welcome to Vogler)

Kamishiro_Rin

Date

On This Linaras, the 21st Day of Brookgreen,
in the 351st Year After the Cataclysm
(Sunday, March 21, 351 AC)
Spring Dawning (Day of the Vernal Equinox)

The 1st Day of the Campaign

When Home Burns

At the edge of the Solamnic province of Hinterlund lies the quiet fishing village of Vogler. Home to humans, kender, and hill dwarves, Vogler is the last stop on the road to nowhere. To the village’s north, scattered woods and shady brooks give way to the deadly badlands known as the Northern Wastes. Across the Vingaard River to the south stretches a land of grim legends and opportunity: the province of Nightlund, whose nearby port of Kalaman welcomes traders from long-forgotten lands. Vogler’s people know little of the evil afoot in the world. On the day you arrive, the people of Vogler are concerned with two things: kicking off the annual Kingfisher Festival and putting a local hero to rest.

spacer.png
Monsters, heretofore unseen in Solamnia, spy on the unsuspecting villagers of Vogler

Arriving in Vogler

You arrive on the day of Ispin Greenshield’s funeral, which is scheduled to take place in the evening.

The fishing village of Vogler clings to a spit of land reaching into the Vingaard River. Wooded cliffs overlook the community, and the only path from the north descends past the ivy-covered remnants of a crumbling stone keep. The village’s modest wooden buildings cluster around a quaint central circle and along the riverbank.

Jutting into the river—out of place and seemingly out of time—stands an incomplete stone bridge of incredible artisanship. The structure clearly dates to before the Cataclysm, eclipsing its modern peers in size and sturdiness. The bridge crosses less than half the river’s width before giving way to a series of ropes and tethered rafts serving as ferries.

spacer.png
Vogler, as Viewed from Above

On the river itself, dozens of small boats drift along the slow, murky waters as the fishers of Vogler ply their trade.

You can explore Vogler as you please. Individuals or small groups could peruse the market, observe villagers preparing for the Kingfisher Festival, or find the rooms that—per your invitations—await you at the Brass Crab.

Once you’re done exploring it, you should meet at the Brass Crab for the funeral.

OOC

In this chapter, you will advance to levels 3 and then 4.

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

spacer.pngColtan Bluetemper

Level 2 Neidar Folk Hero Forge Cleric

AC: 16/18 (Chain Mail +2 Shield) | HP: 21/21 (2d8+6+2) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft., Passive Perception 15, Insight 13, Investigation 12
StrSave: +2

Athletics: +5

Carrying Capacity: 210 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 420 lb.
:
14 (+2) | DexInitiative: −1
Save: −1

Acrobatics: −1
Slight-of-Hand: −1
Stealth: −1☆

☆ Chain mail gives disadvantage
:
8 (–1) | ConSave: +3: 16 (+3) | IntSave: +0

Arcana: +0
History: +0
Investigation: +2
Nature: +0
Religion: +2
:
10 (+0) | WisSave: +5

Animal Handling: +5
Insight: +3
Medicine: +3
Perception: +5
Survival: +5
:
16 (+3) | ChaSave: +2

Deception: +0
Intimidation: +0
Performance: +0
Persuasion: +2
:
10 (+0)

Languages: Speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish

"Finally, Vogler." Coltan announces the obvious.  "I would like to find Becklin and bring him the gear of the knights.  Anyone want to go with me?" The armor might bring him some work after the funeral.  Besides, the dwarf would like to learn of the last days of Ispin.  The author of the invitation of the funeral would probably know.

Walking through town, he looks for signs of Reorx on the people, on the architecture, and symbols.  It had been a few days since his epiphany and the blessing of his hammer.  He continued to wonder why he was chosen and to question his own eyes, ears, and hammer that Reorx had returned to Absalon.

OOC

Action: Ask around to find Becklin

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Actions and Resources

Actions

+1 Holy Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + 3 magic, fire damage.
Versatile damage: 1d10 + 3 magic, fire damage.

Handaxe (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6 + 2 slashing damage.

Dagger (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4 + 2 piercing damage.

Spell-casting: +5 or DC 13 | 1st 3/3

Cantrips

1. Sacred Flame (V, S). Spell Attack: Dex DC 13, ranged 60 ft., one target.  Fail: 1d8 radiant damage.
  2. Word of Radiance (V, M). Spell Attack: Con DC 13, ranged 5 ft., each creature of your choice. Fail: 1d6 radiant damage.
  3. Light (V,M).  You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.  If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.

1st level spells prepared

1. Bless (V,S,M).  You bless up to three creatures of your choice within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.  Concentration up to 1 minute.
  2. Cure Wounds (V,S).  A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  3. Detect Magic (V,S) Ritual. For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.  The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.  Concentration up to 10 minutes.
  4. Healing Word (V) Bonus.  A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  5. Guiding Bolt (V,S).  Make a ranged spell attack against the target within 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage

Channel Divinity: 1/1 short rest

Turn Undead.  Expend a use of your Channel Divinity as an action to make each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom DC 13. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.

Harness Divine Power.  As a bonus action, expend a use of your Channel Divinity to regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield +2 Dex) | HP: 17/17 (1d8+5+4) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision, passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 9
StrSave: -1
Athletics: -1
Carrying Capacity: 120 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 240 lb.
:
8 (-1) | DexSave: +2
Acrobatics: +2
Slight-of-Hand: +2
Stealth: +2☆
☆ disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Scale Mail Armor.

Initiative: +2
:
14 (+2) | ConSave: +2: 15 (+2) | IntSave: -1
Arcana: +1
History: +1
Investigation: -1
Nature: +1
Religion: -1
:
8 (-1) | WisSave: +3
Animal Handling: +1
Insight: +1
Medicine: +1
Perception: +1
Survival: +3
:
12 (+1) | ChaSave: +5
Deception: +5
Intimidation: +3
Performance: +3
Persuasion: +3
:
17 (+3)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Gullytalk, Elven, and Dwarven

The gully dwarf smiles at Coltan's invitation.  "I'll go!" she enthuses, enthusiastically, and jumps down from the cart carrying the corpses.  Probably best that the villagers don't find an Aghar among the dead knights.  "It looks like they're getting ready for a festival.  Bet there'll be lots of good food stands to visit, too."

OOC

Action:

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Eldritch Blast (cantrip). Ranged Spell Attack: + 5 to hit, range 120 ft, one target.
Hit: (1d10+3) force damage.

Infestation (cantrip). Spell: Constitution Save DC 13, range 30 ft, one target.
On failed save: (1d6) poison damage, and target must move 5' in a random direction (d4; 1-North, 2-South, 3-East, 4-West). 

Whip (finesse, reach). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d4 + 3) slashing damage.

Battleaxe (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d8 - 1) slashing damage.
Versatile: (1d10 - 1) slashing damage.

☆ Note:  With Hex Warrior, can set one weapon to use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.  Currently whip.

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
  • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
  • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Grovel, Cower, and Beg (Reskinned Draconic Cry).

As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting

Spell Slots:  2 / 2

Hunni is a spellcaster.  Her spell slots are at 1st level.  She has 2 spell slots.  Her spellcasting attribute is Charisma.  Spell Save DC 13.  Spell Attack Modifier +5.  She can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

• Cantrips:  Eldritch Blast, Infestation, Prestidigitation
  • Spells Known:  Armor of Agathys, Wrathful Smite, Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Unseen Servant
  • Invocations:  Devil's Sight, Agonizing Blast

spacer.png                       Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Level 2 Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 17/17 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 10, Passive Insight 10, Passive Investigation 14
Str:Save: -1
Athletics: 0

8 (-1) | Dex:Initiative: +3
Save: +4
Acrobatics: +3
Slight-of-Hand: +3
Stealth: +3
14 (+2) | Con:Save: +2 14 (+2) | Int:Save: +2
Arcana: +4
History: +4
Investigation: +4
Nature: +3
Religion: +3
14 (+2) | Wis:Save: +0
Survival: +1
11 (+0) | Cha:Save: +5
Intimidation: +5
Performance: +5
Persuasion: +5
16 (+3)

Languages:  Common, Elven, Solamnic, Kharolian, and Draconic
Spell-casting: +5 or DC 131st 3/3 | Bardic Inspiration: 0/3

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’  | My actions

Mery pipes up, "I would like to go as well, Coltan.  I picked up a few items from their bodies and would like to at least offer to return them.  And I believe Becklin is a woman.  At least, the handwriting on the letter I received about Ispin's funeral felt quite feminine to me."

She tells Hunni, "I would like to do a bit of shopping before the festival and after we finish with Becklin.  Would you be interested in joining me?"

OOC

Action:  

Bonus Action: —

Movement: 

Reaction:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.
                                                                                   Hit:  (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. 

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.
                                                   Hit: (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
                                                                   Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Hit: (1d4+2) piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

Bardic Inspiration (3 per long rest, for 1d6)

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Ammunition:

16 arrows in quiver, 4 arrow bundles in backpack.

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 1st-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bards available for spontaneous casting from her first level slots: 

• Cantrips (2/2 slots): prestidigitation, vicious mockery
  • 1st level (3/3 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, unseen servant

Class Features:

• 0/3 Bardic Inspiration0

Botting Instructions:  (i.e. What to do if I haven't posted in a while and haven't announced it.  Personally, if I haven't posted in 2 days and something is needed from me, BOT ME!  I hate holding up the action and will roll with whatever you choose to do.)

• Combat:  In combat, debuff enemies, inspire allies, drop Healing Word, especially on someone with low HP if Mery is close and the party cleric can't for some reason.  If all of that is out of the question, she prefers using her shortbow and staying at range, given her very low AC.
  • Outside of Combat:  She's a support, face, and lore nerd.  Do skill checks!  Persuade, deceive, and intimidate NPCs!  Drop spells that make things easier for the party!  Use tools!  If any male PCs or NPCs are kind to her, have her act like just slightly awkward, like she's not completely 100% used to that.

OOC

I sussed out during the pre-game that Becklin Uth Viharin is, in fact, female.  I thought the name was male at first, too, though, so understandable mistake.

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)

As they catch sight of Vogler from the clifftop Artanis breaths a sigh of relief that the rest of the journey was uneventful. Hopefully they could put Ispin to rest with the peace he had sought in this little village. The ruined bridge towering over the village brings to his mind those fantastical legends of the past, and he glances towards decimus, wondering if the wizard knows anything about it's history. The gully dwarf carries the crest of high sorcery too, of course, but a few days in her presence has made it clear that not everyone of their Order is what one might expect...

"Ser Becklin Uth Viharin is indeed a lady, " Artanis adds, "though I can't say anything for her handwriting one way or another. Good eye I guess, or perhaps obvious to someone more familiar with books..." he trails off, then  clears his throat before continuing "Anyway, it was she who sponsored my entry into the order, at Ispin's recommendation, so it would only be right to pay my respects at her door. She actually stays just outside the town, so maybe we should get settled at this brass crab first. The name sounds familiar but I can't quite place why...

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

token_1.png.ba18d35c074c2d2a05b1e13a8e573631.pngDecimus - Initiate of High Sorcery | Bladesinger Wizard | Human

AC: 13  | HP: 14/14 | Speed: 30 ft | Spell-casting: +5 / DC 13
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 15
STR: Score: -1
| DEXScore: +3
Sleight of Hand: +3
:
 16 | CONScore: 214 | INTScore: +3
Arcana: +5
History: +5
Investigation: +5
Religion: +5
:
 16 | WISScore: 0

Animal Handling: 0
Insight: +2
Medicine: 0
Perception: +2
Survival: 0
:
 10 | CHAScore: -1

Deception: -1
Intimidation: -1
Performance: -1
Persuasion: -1
:

Languages: Common, Abyssal, Celestial, Primordial

FeatsWar CasterPrerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell
You have practiced casting Spells in the midst of Combat, learning Techniques that grant you the following benefits:
You have advantage on Constitution Saving Throws that you make to maintain your Concentration on a spell when you take damage.
You can perform the somatic Components of Spells even when you have Weapons or a Shield in one or both hands.
When a Hostile creature’s Movement provokes an opportunity Attack from you, you can use your Reaction to Cast a Spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity Attack. The spell must have a Casting Time of 1 Action and must target only that creature.

| FeaturesRitual CastingYou can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don’t need to have the spell prepared.
Arcane RecoverYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher. For example, if you’re a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.
BladesongYou can invoke an elven magic called the Bladesong, provided that you aren't wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield. It graces you with supernatural speed, agility, and focus. You can use a bonus action to start the Bladesong, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don medium or heavy armor or a shield, or if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon. You can also dismiss the Bladesong at any time (no action required). While your Bladesong is active, you gain the following benefits: You gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). Your walking speed increases by 10 feet. You have advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. You gain a bonus to any Constitution saving throw you make to maintain your concentration on a spell. The bonus equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

| ActionsRapierATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]
RANGE: 5ft
MAGIC BONUS: 0
CRIT RANGE: 20
DAMAGE: 1d8 + DEX [3]
TYPE: Piercing
DESCRIPTION: melee weapon (martial, sword)

Bladesinging Rapier StrikeATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]
 | SpellsCantrips
Blade WardBlade Ward
Abjuration cantrip
Casting Time:1 action
Range: Self
Target: Self
Components: V S
Duration: 1 round
Description:You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Booming BladeBooming Blade
Evocation cantrip
Range: Self (5ft radius)
Target: One creature within the spell’s range
Components: V, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Description:You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 3d8) and again at 17th level (3d8 and 4d8).

Green Flame Blade1st Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects, and you can cause green fire to leap from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes fire damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 fire damage to the target on a hit, and the fire damage to the second creature increases to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 2d8) and 17th level (3d8 and 3d8).

1st-Level
Expeditious Retreat1st Level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Classes: Artificer, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: This spell allows you to move at an incredible pace. When you cast this spell, and then as a bonus action on each of your turns until the spell ends, you can take the Dash action.

Magic Missile1st Level Evocation
Range: 120ft
Target: A creature of your choice that you can see within range
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dart for each slot level above 1st.

Tensors Floating Disk © (a drop of mercury)
Tash's Hideous Laughter © (Tiny tarts and a feather that is waved in the air)
Identify (A pearl worth at least 100 gp and an owl feather)
Detect Magic ©
Absorb Elements
Charm Person
Comprehend Languages [Initiate of High Sorcery Feat]
Shield1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell
Duration: 1 Round
Description: An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.
[Initiate of High Sorcery Feat]

If it were up to Decimus, he would be lying down under a tree near the small cliffs he saw on their initial entry to the town, eating some fresh fruit and relaxing, but at least the salty air of the port town is refreshing.  After travelling for so long, feeling the combination of the cool ocean breeze and the warm morning sun makes him feel a little sleepy, but for once, he pushes aside any thought of having a nap.  He stretches his arms out and intertwines his fingers behind his head, leaning back a little bit, the sakkat drooping forward over his eyes as he walks lazily behind the group.  These people have a lot of energy, and he had spent the last few days just trying to keep up.  He follows slowly behind as they discuss plans to meet with the mysterious sender of their invitation letters to the funeral, planning on shopping at the same time.  His confidence in their benefactor was not strong, but the wizard feels no need to try and justify his bad feeling to his new companions, knowing that his penchant for mentioning bad omens was reason enough for people to avoid him.  For now, he was content to follow and stay quiet, basking in the relaxing atmosphere of the town.  Though his belly began to grumble when Hunni mentions food stalls. 

"I second the festival food stand idea..."

spacer.png

OOCAction: Cast booming blade and strike the creature with his rapier

Bonus Action: Bladesong is activated

Movement: Move forward five feet to put himself within reach of the monster, then 10 feet backwards after attacking

Reaction: Shield is cast if struck

Edited by tyrtaeus (see edit history)

:

:

:

:

:
10 (+0)

Coltan swallows his annoyance at the specificity of the gender of the Knight of the Crown.  Man, woman, dwarf, or kender, what does it matter, if Becklin is a Knight of Solamnia? 

After collecting his manners, the dwarven smith replies, "I will go visit this Knight of the Crown before anything else.  Besides being our host of the funeral, I would visit the knight first to avoid being accused as a thief or scavenger possessing plate armor with markings of the knighthood." 

After a pause, he turns to the squire of Solamnia, "Artanis, would you please provide directions to her location?  We can reconvene at the Brass Crab, as Becklin suggested we stay."  Coltan patiently waits for the directions.

OOC

Action: Ask around to find Becklin

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Actions and Resources

Actions

+1 Holy Warhammer (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Handaxe (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.

Dagger (light, thrown). Melee & Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/60 ft., one target.

Cantrips

1. Sacred Flame (V, S). Spell Attack: Dex DC 13, ranged 60 ft., one target.  Fail: 1d8 radiant damage.
  2. Word of Radiance (V, M). Spell Attack: Con DC 13, ranged 5 ft., each creature of your choice. Fail: 1d6 radiant damage.
  3. Light (V,M).  You touch one object that is no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. Until the spell ends, the object sheds bright light in a 20-foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. The light can be colored as you like. Completely covering the object with something opaque blocks the light. The spell ends if you cast it again or dismiss it as an action.  If you target an object held or worn by a hostile creature, that creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw to avoid the spell.

1. Bless (V,S,M).  You bless up to three creatures of your choice within 30 ft. Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw.  Concentration up to 1 minute.
  2. Cure Wounds (V,S).  A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  3. Detect Magic (V,S) Ritual. For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any.  The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.  Concentration up to 10 minutes.
  4. Healing Word (V) Bonus.  A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
  5. Guiding Bolt (V,S).  Make a ranged spell attack against the target within 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage

Turn Undead.  Expend a use of your Channel Divinity as an action to make each undead that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you to make a Wisdom DC 13. If the creature fails its saving throw, it is turned for 1 minute or until it takes any damage.

Harness Divine Power.  As a bonus action, expend a use of your Channel Divinity to regain one expended spell slot, the level of which can be no higher than half your proficiency bonus (rounded up).

Edited by JubalBreakbottle (see edit history)

Artanis notices the dwarf's brief frown, but isn't sure what had produced it. Either way it seems over soon enough, and his tone carries no particular malice. He points out yonder "Last I heard, she held vigil in the old fort - I doubt she had changed her posting of still in Vogler. I don't know if she'll be busy with any funerary arrangements, but I understand your concern" he replies kindly "I'm more than happy to testify to your intentions and character if required or desired my friend." The knight was vaguely aware that dwarves took longer to forge relationships than other races, but in his mind the fellow had proven himself on the journey - dashing into conflict unknown against those monsters to help a stranger. Besides, Reorx was at least not black as far as he remembers.

The wizard seems happy enough to avoid any labour and continue his relaxed pace towards the food stalls - no doubt to busy with intellectual problems to devote time to pulling a cart or finding people. That at least fitted with his stories past.

OOC

Talking of using the metal to fashion a dwarven suit of plate, could you use it as component in your forge channel divinity? I guess that asks for gold value metal components for mechanical purposes, and obviously gold value of broken armour would be significantly less. Not sure if whatever you divinely forged would come out branded of Reorx either.

OOCTalking of using the metal to fashion a dwarven suit of plate, could you use it as component in your forge channel divinity? I guess that asks for gold value metal components for mechanical purposes, and obviously gold value of broken armour would be significantly less. Not sure if whatever you divinely forged would come out branded of Reorx either.

Edited by PureChance (see edit history)

spacer.png                       Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Level 2 Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 17/17 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 10, Passive Insight 10, Passive Investigation 14
Str:Save: -1
Athletics: 0

8 (-1) | Dex:Initiative: +3
Save: +4
Slight-of-Hand: +3
14 (+2) | Con:Save: +2 14 (+2) | Int:Save: +2
Arcana: +4
History: +4
Investigation: +4
Religion: +3
14 (+2) | Wis:Save: +0
Survival: +1
11 (+0) | Cha:Save: +5
Intimidation: +5
Performance: +5
Persuasion: +5
16 (+3)

Languages:  Common, Elven, Solamnic, Kharolian, and Draconic
Spell-casting: +5 or DC 131st 3/3 | Bardic Inspiration: 0/3

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’  | My actions

Mery sees Coltan frown, but what catches her attention is the way his body tenses up just slightly.  For a moment, she is swept away to a different place where her mother's husband's angry eyes are glaring down at her and he is opening his mouth to begin a tirade because she pointed out an oversight on his part related to the family business.  With a grimace, she shakes her head rapidly, as though trying to clear it.  'No!  I am not there anymore, and I am not going there in my head!  The Dwarf at least has the good graces to not say anything.'

Casting about for something else to focus on, she remembers the money she gathered from the dead knights.  "I found 70 gold on the knights' bodies.  My initial thought was to bring it back and have it sent on to the families, but I suppose it might be possible to make the argument that we earned the gold by killing those creatures.  What do you all think we should do with it - send it on to the families or keep it for ourselves?"

She tries not to think about how much she herself needs gold.

OOC

Action:  

Bonus Action: —

Movement: 

Reaction:

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.
                                                                                   Hit:  (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. 

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.
                                                   Hit: (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
                                                                   Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Hit: (1d4+2) piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

Bardic Inspiration (3 per long rest, for 1d6)

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Ammunition:

16 arrows in quiver, 4 arrow bundles in backpack.

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 1st-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bards available for spontaneous casting from her first level slots: 

• Cantrips (2/2 slots): prestidigitation, vicious mockery
  • 1st level (3/3 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, unseen servant

Class Features:

• 0/3 Bardic Inspiration0

Botting Instructions:  (i.e. What to do if I haven't posted in a while and haven't announced it.  Personally, if I haven't posted in 2 days and something is needed from me, BOT ME!  I hate holding up the action and will roll with whatever you choose to do.)

• Combat:  In combat, debuff enemies, inspire allies, drop Healing Word, especially on someone with low HP if Mery is close and the party cleric can't for some reason.  If all of that is out of the question, she prefers using her shortbow and staying at range, given her very low AC.
  • Outside of Combat:  She's a support, face, and lore nerd.  Do skill checks!  Persuade, deceive, and intimidate NPCs!  Drop spells that make things easier for the party!  Use tools!  If any male PCs or NPCs are kind to her, have her act like just slightly awkward, like she's not completely 100% used to that.

OOC

OOC comments, if I have them, will go here.

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)

:

:

:

:

:
10 (+0)

Coltan arches an eyebrow at Mery's suggestion to keep the knight's gold.  What were they, mercenaries?  He sighs and replies, "I strongly suggest that we return the gold to Becklin, too.  The weapons and armor of the knights are worth more than those coins, but they still belong to their families, or at least the knighthood.  It's respectful, and I would appreciate others doing the same for me when I die."

Hypothesizing that the half-elf is short funds, the dwarven smith offers, "Mery, if you are short coins, I can spot you until you can pay me back.  And, thank you for admitting to finding the gold.  It would be unfortunate if Becklin knows about the gold, and believes us untrustworthy by not returning it." 

OOC

Action: Head to Becklin

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Cantrips

token_1.png.ba18d35c074c2d2a05b1e13a8e573631.pngDecimus - Initiate of High Sorcery | Bladesinger Wizard | Human

AC: 13  | HP: 14/14 | Speed: 30 ft | Spell-casting: +5 / DC 13
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 15
STR: Score: -1
| DEXScore: +3
Sleight of Hand: +3
:
 16 | CONScore: 214 | INTScore: +3
Arcana: +5
History: +5
Investigation: +5
Religion: +5
:
 16 | WISScore: 0

Animal Handling: 0
Insight: +2
Medicine: 0
Perception: +2
Survival: 0
:
 10 | CHAScore: -1

Deception: -1
Intimidation: -1
Performance: -1
Persuasion: -1
:

Languages: Common, Abyssal, Celestial, Primordial

FeatsWar CasterPrerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell
You have practiced casting Spells in the midst of Combat, learning Techniques that grant you the following benefits:
You have advantage on Constitution Saving Throws that you make to maintain your Concentration on a spell when you take damage.
You can perform the somatic Components of Spells even when you have Weapons or a Shield in one or both hands.
When a Hostile creature’s Movement provokes an opportunity Attack from you, you can use your Reaction to Cast a Spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity Attack. The spell must have a Casting Time of 1 Action and must target only that creature.

| FeaturesRitual CastingYou can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don’t need to have the spell prepared.
Arcane RecoverYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher. For example, if you’re a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.
BladesongYou can invoke an elven magic called the Bladesong, provided that you aren't wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield. It graces you with supernatural speed, agility, and focus. You can use a bonus action to start the Bladesong, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don medium or heavy armor or a shield, or if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon. You can also dismiss the Bladesong at any time (no action required). While your Bladesong is active, you gain the following benefits: You gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). Your walking speed increases by 10 feet. You have advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. You gain a bonus to any Constitution saving throw you make to maintain your concentration on a spell. The bonus equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

| ActionsRapierATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]

Bladesinging Rapier StrikeATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]
 | SpellsCantrips
Blade WardBlade Ward
Abjuration cantrip
Description:You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Booming BladeBooming Blade
Evocation cantrip
Range: Self (5ft radius)
Description:You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 3d8) and again at 17th level (3d8 and 4d8).

Green Flame Blade1st Level Evocation
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects, and you can cause green fire to leap from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes fire damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 fire damage to the target on a hit, and the fire damage to the second creature increases to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 2d8) and 17th level (3d8 and 3d8).

1st-Level
Expeditious Retreat1st Level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Classes: Artificer, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: This spell allows you to move at an incredible pace. When you cast this spell, and then as a bonus action on each of your turns until the spell ends, you can take the Dash action.

Magic Missile1st Level Evocation
Range: 120ft
Target: A creature of your choice that you can see within range
Description: You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dart for each slot level above 1st.

Tensors Floating Disk © (a drop of mercury)
Tash's Hideous Laughter © (Tiny tarts and a feather that is waved in the air)
Identify (A pearl worth at least 100 gp and an owl feather)
Detect Magic ©
Absorb Elements
Charm Person
Comprehend Languages [Initiate of High Sorcery Feat]
Shield1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell
Duration: 1 Round
Description: An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.
[Initiate of High Sorcery Feat]

Decimus still wanders lazily behind his companions as some mild tensions are brought to light.  With equally as mild interest, he notes where the differences lie in their sensibilities.  The information is not particularly useful to him, but it entertains him nonetheless.  Colton, and his steadfast and honorable Dwarven nature rubbing against Mery and her practical but slightly captious personality.  If he thinks about it enough, he supposes he can see both sides of the coin.  Taking loot from an enemy who had been trying to kill you is one thing, but those knights had not been enemies, it had been an act more akin to grave robbing in that regard.  Still, the Wizard had been called many things, and wealthy was certainly not one of them.  He can hardly recall a time when he had more than one or two coppers to rub together, never mind a sack full of gold.  The white cape upon his back was a strong reminder of what he needed to do, and it was not usually what he wanted to do.  Not that he was going to say anything, Colton had said more than enough about it, and Decimus did not feel like adding to the pile and making her feel bad over something she had simply been playing devils advocate for.  

"If I may be so bold, I'm afraid I wont I have much to offer in your conversation with Becklin, but I do so enjoy a good sale, so I'll be found perusing the market

They would inform him of their conversation, he had no doubt, but all this intrigue and politicking was not good for his heart, that sort of thing was best left in the hands of people like his new companions.  If he was meant to be there, then the universe would guide him there.  It always had an interesting way of getting people where it needed.  But until then, he wants to see what this little town has to offer. 

spacer.png

OOCAction: Heads towards the market to see if there are any interesting trinkets

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Edited by tyrtaeus (see edit history)

Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Game McHolyGrail IIIModri

Hill Dwarf Outlander Wild Magic Barbarian

AC: 16 (+1Dex + 3Con + 2Shield ) | HP: 31/31 (2d12+6+4+1) | Speed: 25 ft.
Senses: passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 10
Str: 16 (+3) | Dex: 13 (+1) | Con: 16 (+3) | Int: 10 (+0) | Wis: 12 (+1) | Cha: 8 (-1)
Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Dwarvish, Elvish

“Forty gold." Modri offers a low whistle at the sound of so much money, more than he's ever had or seen. "Not interested. If there was a bounty on those beasties, and they're willing to believe you all with no trophies, happy to take my share. Otherwise, will earn a bit of coin the honest way. Through gambling up my items and winning."

It's hard to tell if he's being serious or not, but he doesn't seem like he's joking, even about the last part. "See you lot at the Brass Crab. Good place, better people. Expect a triumphant and wealthier Dwarf there ready to pay for everyone's food and drinks!"

OOC

Modri wants to find a place he can gamble, preferably one he can auction some of his non-combat items he has on him. 

River Gate

Those who enter Vogler from the north pass through the unguarded River Gate, a 15-foot-tall wooden archway carved with two leaping fish on its frame. Over the years, locals have etched the coin-sized scales of these fish with prayers for bountiful fishing. Two large wooden doors stand within the arch, but they haven’t been closed for years and are embedded in the surrounding dirt.

Hunni and Decimus are happy to go to the market, hoping that maybe there’ll be festival food stalls. Unfortunately, they’re a day early for that, but they do find stalls being set up in preparation for the marrow.

They’re in luck, however, as they enter the market proper:

Market

Across from Vogler’s busy wharf spreads the village market. Amid this collection of stalls, vendors sell fresh river fish, fishing supplies, crafts, the bounty of local farms, and all manner of mundane equipment. One notable stall is that of Froswin, a kender who sells intricate fish-bone puppets she designs in the shapes of animals and sea serpents.

Modri, asking around for a place where he can gamble and drink is directed to The Fishbowl.

The Fishbowl

After a long day on the river, many of Vogler’s fishers gather at the Fishbowl to tell tales, quench their thirst, and indulge in baked fish pies. The cramped but well-kept tavern is known for its savory baked goods more than its weak ale. The Fishbowl’s proprietor is the elderly Elthar, a human whom most locals call Uncle.

When you ask around town, you’re directed to Thornwall Keep, though you’re told that Becklin might also be around town preparing for Ispin’s funeral as well as the Kingfisher Festival. They tell you that she’s the steward of the ruined castle—that she maintains it as well as excavates its ruins for pre-cataclysmic history.

On the subject of the Solamnic Knights . . . well, the villagers’ faces sour. You hear various complaints that “they caused the cataclysm!” and “I heard they din’ do nuthin’ to stop the cataclysm!” and various other rumblings along those lines. “Good ol’ Becklin, though, she’s a’ight. Keeps us safe from bandits an’ the like!”

You get the impression that common folk don’t hold the Knights of Solamnia in high esteem anymore—not since the Cataclysm. Seems like they have no problem with an actual knight they’ve met.

Thornwall Keep

The ruins of an ancient Solamnic keep perch on a rocky rise at the western edge of town. Partially ruined walls surround the keep’s three-story tower.

Atop the roof of the keep, you can clearly see a bizarre, elaborate, catapult-like contraption. Villagers explain that the thing is their resident tinker gnome, Than’s “Gnomeflinger’s what he calls it! In the early hours o’ the morn, when the air’s still, ye can hear him hammerin’ away at it all the way in the marketplace!”

spacer.png   When you reach the keep, Darrett Highwater greets you. He is Becklin’s squire. He welcomes you in warmly and ushers you over to reception chamber where you’re invited to sit. “Becklin’ll be back in a few,” he says. “I’ll go get you some refreshments, or whatever you’d like.”

The furnishing is old and has seen better days. It has, at least, been reupholstered, so it’s not uncomfortable.

Darrett comes back in from what must be “the kitchens” sets a tray down with a pitcher of tea. “I couldn’t help notice those suits of armor you had! Those were some vicious looking slashes in them. I bet there’s an interesting story behind that!”

“Behind what?” an aging woman wearing armor asks, entering the room from another door. “Do we have guest—Oh my! Artanis! It’s been forever! You must have gotten my invitation to dear Ispin’s funeral . . . and that might make the rest of you . . . Ispin’s friends as well—the ones I wrote to?”

spacer.png
Becklin Uth Viharin

Edited by Kamishiro_Rin (see edit history)

:

:

:

:

:
10 (+0)

Coltan listens to the locals respond to his traveling companions, while looking for symbols and signs of the Worldsmith throughout Volger and appreciating the craftship old and new. 

Arriving at Thornwall Keep, he lets the others who know this Becklin lead the introductions.  He reverently carries the armor and weapons inside and sets them where instructed.  The dwarf sits on the closest dwarf-size furniture available to keep his legs from dangling from a human-sized one and compliments the hospitality of the squire.  While waiting for Becklin, he quietly surveys the masonry work required to restore and update the keep.

After Becklin arrives, the dwarf lets Artanis and Mery lead the conversation.  When it his turn to speak, he introduces himself, "aye.  I'm Coltan Bluetemper.  Thank you for the invitation to Ispin's funeral.  He was a remarkable man.  I'm glad that I was able to arrive in time."

After Artanis or Mery officially returns the knights' armor and weapons to Becklin, Coltan offers, "the monsters wrecked the armor with their claws.  I might be able to repair the armor with some material if you would appreciate.  It would be a shame to let that fine craftship go to waste."

OOC

Action: Head to Becklin

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Use Object:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Cantrips

Name
Perception (spot signs of Reorx)
1d20+5 20
Stonecunning (Thornwall Keep)
1d20+4 11

Coltan notices a pendant or emblazon here or there of various good, and even a couple neutral gods. On his way up to the keep, he passed by a blacksmith who had a pendent of Reorx hanging from his neck. The man gave you a courteous bow of his head, acknowledging your clerichood, before going back to beating a strip of metal with his own hammer.

The stonework of the keep is old and of clear Solamnic make. It bespeaks of ancient days of glory, when the Knights of Solamnia were respected and revered—of pre-Cataclysmic days—of days before the gods abandoned Krynn.

Many stones, however, are gone. And your keen perception—though not specifically looking for it—noticed a lot of home foundations that had remarkably well cut stones—better cut than your average peasant could afford to use to build a house atop!

Here and there, you can see dull grey of lead warped and ripped where stone-thieves yanked expertly cut blocks from the tops of the walls to scavenge for building materials. These chunks of lead were how two blocks used to be sealed together: a T-shaped slot was cut along the sides of the blocks, lined up, and the resulting I-shape hole would be filled with molten lead. Once the lead cooled, the blocks were stuck together.