Chapter 01a: When Home Burns (Welcome to Vogler)

Kamishiro_Rin

token1.png.1f361b5b69f15cd7a9ff716bb787caee.pngHunni Collic

Gully Dwarf Mage of High Sorcery Hexblade Warlock

AC: 18 (Scale Mail+2 Shield +2 Dex) | HP: 17/17 (1d8+5+4) | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses: Darkvision, passive Perception 11, Insight 11, Investigation 9
StrSave: -1
Athletics: -1
Carrying Capacity: 120 lb.
Lift/Push/Drag: 240 lb.
:
8 (-1) | DexSave: +2
Acrobatics: +2
Slight-of-Hand: +2
Stealth: +2☆
☆ disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks from Scale Mail Armor.

Initiative: +2
:
14 (+2) | ConSave: +2: 15 (+2) | IntSave: -1
Arcana: +1
History: +1
Investigation: -1
Nature: +1
Religion: -1
:
8 (-1) | WisSave: +3
Animal Handling: +1
Insight: +1
Medicine: +1
Perception: +1
Survival: +3
:
12 (+1) | ChaSave: +5
Deception: +5
Intimidation: +3
Performance: +3
Persuasion: +3
:
17 (+3)

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common, Gullytalk, Elven, and Dwarven

After a short pause, the whip at Hunni's side twists slightly against her leg, as though reminding her of something she has gained.  Or lost.  Traded, perhaps.

Her eyes clear up, and she smiles, although she then glances at Reorx's hammer on the table, almost suspiciously.  "But yes.  My family is cursed.  I will break that curse."  She glances again at the hammer, finding it hard to draw her eyes away from it.  "No matter the cost.  Mery, the Black Robes offer the training I need to do that."

After another pause, she asks, "I thought...  I heard your book was on parchment making?"

OOC

Action: 

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Eldritch Blast (cantrip). Ranged Spell Attack: + 5 to hit, range 120 ft, one target.
Hit: (1d10+3) force damage.

Infestation (cantrip). Spell: Constitution Save DC 13, range 30 ft, one target.
On failed save: (1d6) poison damage, and target must move 5' in a random direction (d4; 1-North, 2-South, 3-East, 4-West). 

Whip (finesse, reach). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d4 + 3) slashing damage.

Battleaxe (versatile). Melee Weapon Attack: reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: (1d8 - 1) slashing damage.
Versatile: (1d10 - 1) slashing damage.

☆ Note:  With Hex Warrior, can set one weapon to use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.  Currently whip.

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
  • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
  • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Grovel, Cower, and Beg (Reskinned Draconic Cry).

As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting

Spell Slots:  2 / 2

Hunni is a spellcaster.  Her spell slots are at 1st level.  She has 2 spell slots.  Her spellcasting attribute is Charisma.  Spell Save DC 13.  Spell Attack Modifier +5.  She can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

• Cantrips:  Eldritch Blast, Infestation, Prestidigitation
  • Spells Known:  Armor of Agathys, Wrathful Smite, Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Unseen Servant
  • Invocations:  Devil's Sight, Agonizing Blast

spacer.png                       Meryelle "Mery" Keryndon

Level 2 Half-Elf Sage College of Lore Bard

AC: 13 (Leather Armor) | HP: 17/17 | Speed: 30 ft.
Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 10, Passive Insight 10, Passive Investigation 14
Str:Save: -1
Athletics: 0

8 (-1) | Dex:Initiative: +3
Save: +4
Acrobatics: +3
Slight-of-Hand: +3
Stealth: +3
14 (+2) | Con:Save: +2 14 (+2) | Int:Save: +2
Arcana: +4
History: +4
Investigation: +4
Nature: +3
Religion: +3
14 (+2) | Wis:Save: +0
Survival: +1
11 (+0) | Cha:Save: +5
Intimidation: +5
Performance: +5
Persuasion: +5
16 (+3)

Languages:  Common, Elven, Solamnic, Kharolian, and Draconic
Spell-casting: +5 or DC 131st 3/3 | Bardic Inspiration: 3/3

“My words,” | ‘My thoughts,’  | My actions

Mery is impressed by the Gully Dwarf's goal.  "Wow, Hunni, breaking a curse on an entire race is a big deal.  Were the White and Red Robes unwilling to help you with this?"  She wants to ask even more than that, but imagines that Black Robes might tend to be secretive, given that they were not opposed to evil acts.  Still, it couldn't hurt to ask - the Gully Dwarf could always simply refuse to answer. "Have you learned anything more about what you need to do to break this curse?"  Technically, this is a yes/no question.  Hunni could always say yes or no and then simply not elaborate further.

"As to my book, I'm not sure where you heard that, but I have no firm plans to write a book about parchment-making.  I have enough knowledge to write about the basics of how to make parchment, but don't imagine a book like that would be of interest to very many people."

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.
                                                                                   Hit:  (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. 

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.
                                                   Hit: (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.
                                                                   Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.

Hit: (1d4+2) piercing damage.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

Bardic Inspiration (3 per long rest, for 1d6)

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Ammunition:

16 arrows in quiver, 4 arrow bundles in backpack.

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 1st-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bards available for spontaneous casting from her first level slots: 

• Cantrips (2/2 slots): prestidigitation, vicious mockery
  • 1st level (3/3 slots): healing word, hideous laughter, cure wounds

Class Features:

• 0/3 Bardic Inspiration0

Botting Instructions:  (i.e. What to do if I haven't posted in a while and haven't announced it.  Personally, if I haven't posted in 2 days and something is needed from me, BOT ME!  I hate holding up the action and will roll with whatever you choose to do.)

• Combat:  In combat, debuff enemies, inspire allies, drop Healing Word or Cure Wounds if someone needs it (pending an official return of the gods and divine magic for Coltan).  If all of that is out of the question, she prefers using her shortbow and staying at range, given her very low AC.
  • Outside of Combat:  She's a support, face, and lore nerd.  Do skill checks!  Persuade, deceive, and intimidate NPCs!  Drop spells that make things easier for the party!  Use tools!  If any male PCs or NPCs are kind to her, have her act like just slightly awkward, like she's not completely 100% used to that.

OOC

OOC comments, if I have them, go here.

Edited by tbgg (see edit history)

:

:
:
:
:
17 (+3)

Hunni frowns again.  "Gully Dwarves are unimportant.  Nobody else seems to care.  But..."  She pauses for a moment.  "Only a rare Aghar can count past two.  None can count past three.  They aren't stupid, we can talk, build things, plan, cook.  But we can't read."  She reaches down with her right hand, and holds the braids of her whip.  With her left, she holds out her fingers.  "One, two, uh, three...  Four...  Five,"  she says, before relaxing. 

"I think I need to break the curse on me, then I can work on the rest.  White Robes won't help, they think it is the natural order, but there is nothing natural about this specific set of deficits, they look like there is intention behind them, intention to keep Aghar in the mud.  Red Robes aren't willing to help, no matter how noble they act.  Black Robes, though...  You can deal with them." 

The young warlock sighs, and looks again at Mery.  "I know it sounds crazy.  I know people think we are just simple, because we are.  But I think there is a reason behind it, a curse."  She glances again at the hammer.  "Only one group of beings would be powerful enough to do that to us, as far as I know."  Hunni shakes herself.

"Anyway.  Your book.  You want something people will want to read, then, not to just make a book for the joy of it?  You could write about cooking.  Put down how much mushroom and pepper, flour and meat, in a stew.  Someday, lots of people will read that.  Many more than would read about history or magic or parchment making or anything.  Write something useful to regular people,"  she suggests, "With lots of pictures for people who can't read so good."

OOC

Action: 

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Eldritch Blast (cantrip). Ranged Spell Attack: + 5 to hit, range 120 ft, one target.

On failed save: (1d6) poison damage, and target must move 5' in a random direction (d4; 1-North, 2-South, 3-East, 4-West). 

Whip (finesse, reach). Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target.

☆ Note:  With Hex Warrior, can set one weapon to use Charisma instead of Strength or Dexterity for to-hit and damage.  Currently whip.

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

• You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.
  • Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.
  • If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

As a bonus action, you let out a cry at your enemies within 10 feet of you. Until the start of your next turn, you and your allies have advantage on attack rolls against any of those enemies who could hear you. You can use this trait a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Spellcasting

Hunni is a spellcaster.  Her spell slots are at 1st level.  She has 2 spell slots.  Her spellcasting attribute is Charisma.  Spell Save DC 13.  Spell Attack Modifier +5.  She can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus.

• Spells Known:  Armor of Agathys, Wrathful Smite, Hex, Dissonant Whispers, Unseen Servant

Edited by KingGoblin (see edit history)

Senses:  Darkvision 60 ft; Passive Perception 10, Passive Insight 10, Passive Investigation 14

16 (+3)

Mery tilts her head, a curious expression on her face.  "If you think there's a curse on you, you'll need to see if someone can detect it.  I'm afraid I am no use in that regard other than the small amount of reading I've done about magic.  But Decimus or Coltan, maybe?"  She carefully avoids any mention of her own magic.   Her life has enough trouble without people knowing she can do magic, even if it is fairly weak magic.  Besides, she honestly doesn't know the spell she thinks Hunni would need.

"Are you saying that you think the gods may be responsible for cursing your people?"  They're the only ones Mery can think of who might have the power to curse a race.  And Hunni did say "beings""Do you have any thoughts on which god might have done it?"

"As for my book, I'm definitely open to adding...well, not really pictures, more sketches.  I like to draw, but have too many interests to bother mastering painting with color.  So I mainly do charcoal sketches.  Once I earn a bit more gold to buy the tools I need, I'll be able to sketch whenever I have a few hours free.  If you'd like, I could probably do a sketch of you and Ispin, if you were to tell me a story involving the two of you."

"As far as topics, the joy in writing a book for me lies in explaining a subject that really interests me.  But at the same time, I also want it to be useful to people.  That's why I still haven't made up my mind about what to write about - I haven't found a subject that both interests me and would also be useful to people.  A book of recipes would definitely be useful, and I might even do one one day, but it's not a subject I'm strongly interested in."  

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Shortbow (simple, ranged, ammunition, two-handed). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 80/320 ft., one target.

Dagger (light, ranged or melee). Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, ranged 20/80 ft., one target.

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

As a bonus action, a creature (other than yourself) within 60 ft. that can hear you gains an inspiration die (1d6). For 10 minutes, the creature can add it to one ability check, attack roll, or saving throw. This can be added after seeing the roll, but before knowing the outcome.

Ammunition:

Spellcasting:

Mery is a 1st-level spellcaster. Her spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). She has the following bards available for spontaneous casting from her first level slots: 

Class Features:

Botting Instructions:  (i.e. What to do if I haven't posted in a while and haven't announced it.  Personally, if I haven't posted in 2 days and something is needed from me, BOT ME!  I hate holding up the action and will roll with whatever you choose to do.)

• Combat:  In combat, debuff enemies, inspire allies, drop Healing Word or Cure Wounds if someone needs it (pending an official return of the gods and divine magic for Coltan).  If all of that is out of the question, she prefers using her shortbow and staying at range, given her very low AC.
  • Outside of Combat:  She's a support, face, and lore nerd.  Do skill checks!  Persuade, deceive, and intimidate NPCs!  Drop spells that make things easier for the party!  Use tools!  If any male PCs or NPCs are kind to her, have her act like just slightly awkward, like she's not completely 100% used to that.

OOC

:

:
:
:
:
17 (+3)

"I dunno," Hunni replies, although she probably has her suspicions.  "What subject really interests you?" she asks, instead.

OOC

Action: 

Bonus Action:

Movement:

Reaction:

Actions and Resources

Actions

Bonus Actions

Hexblade's Curse.

Spellcasting

6 hours ago, tbgg said:

She focuses on Ispin, and finds herself feeling restless, so she decides to ask a question.  "Tell me, Ser Becklin, will there be an opportunity for a private moment with Ispin's body before he is finally put to rest?"

When Mery pulls Ser Becklin aside and asks her for some private time with the body, Ser Becklin takes Mery outside to the dock where you find his body laid out in a boat. Although there are a few people working hither and thither, Mery imagines that she would receive sufficient privacy for some time alone. Ser Becklin leaves you be, telling you to come back inside when you’re ready.

OOC

@tbgg, During the funeral, they sent the body on down the river, so it’s too late for that in the other thread, so I moved it here.

16 (+3)

With Hunni

Mery tells Hunni, "Well, I'm definitely interested in history, but there are many fine historians in the ranks of the Order of Aesthetics.  I'm not really sure I could add anything they couldn't.  The one exception might be if I were to witness something of historical significance as it was happening - then that first person vantage point would give me something unique to offer.  I'm just not sure the odds of that happening are very high."

"But there's another thing that interests me:  overcoming a difficult past.  I don't feel like I've really overcome mine yet, but I thought maybe a book telling the stories about people who faced some kind of hardship from their past, then went on to do something important in spite of it might be worth writing, as encouragement to others who are facing hardship.  Ideally, the people I'd write about would be people who are well-known in some fashion - you know, like Huma Dragonsbane, though of course he's dead now.  I would just have to meet them, and then get them to trust me with their story."  She gnaws her lip upon finishing, an indicator of the uncertainty she feels about her chances of persuading anyone to trust her with their story.

With Ispin's Body

Mery shuts out the people working around her and imagines invisible walls up with herself and Ispin's body on one side and the rest of the world on the other.  Staring down at the now lifeless face of her friend, she tells the body, "Ispin, I know you don't live in this shell anymore, but this feels like the best way to have a private goodbye with you.  I wish I'd known you were going to die - there were things I would have told you, like the fact that I was starting to seriously think about killing myself three days before you and I met, and I challenged the universe to show me that someone cared.  You were the answer to that challenge, Ispin.  I chose to keep living because you cared about me.  And I never told you.  And you are, to this day, the only male who has ever hugged me.  I never told you what that meant to me."  Two tears run down her cheeks. "But I'm going to tell both things to those who have come for the funeral.  They should know that about you.  And I'm going to get better at telling people important things like this, too, because I don't like what knowing that I never told them to you feels like."

"I know you're not a big fan of tears, Ispin, but I really need to cry.  It's not just that you're gone.  If that were the only thing, I might not need to cry, or at least not this much.  You have to understand - I've never cried, and a lot of rotten things have happened to me throughout my life.  I think maybe what I'm needing is catch-up crying on all of that other stuff.  So if you're in the afterlife somewhere looking down on me, just know my sadness is bigger than just you being gone.  I'll even try to come up with some crazy story or joke in honor of you, just so you know you influenced me.  You remember my mentioning Janala in my letters, right?  The lady in Palanthas who I've rented a room from for the past 7 years?  Well, she told me that to heal from all of the rotten stuff I've been through, I need to feel the pain of it.  And I'm starting to.  She told me that tears help cleanse a wounded soul, like cleaning out a cut so it doesn't get infected.  And that's really what I'm needing.  You would want my soul to heal and be whole, right, Ispin?"

"I'm going to miss your stories and tall tales, Ispin.  And your letters.  And your hugs, even though you only ever gave me just two.  They were important hugs, okay?!?  And one day when I'm older, I want to reach out to someone young like you did with me.  Sort of pay what you did for me forward, you know?"

She stands there for several more minutes not speaking, just letting the tears flow.  Finally, she touches the boat the body lies in and says softly, "Goodbye, dear friend" before turning back into the town of Vogler and to the living.

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

Ammunition:

Spellcasting:

Class Features:

OOC

• 2 weeks later...

token_1.png.ba18d35c074c2d2a05b1e13a8e573631.pngDecimus - Initiate of High Sorcery | Bladesinger Wizard | Human

AC: 13[+5 from Shield, +3 from Bladesong]  | HP: 14/14 [+4] | Speed: 30 ft [+10ft] | Spell-casting: +5 / DC 13
Senses: Passive Perception 12, Insight 12, Investigation 15
STR: Score: -1
| DEXScore: +3
Sleight of Hand: +3
:
 16 | CONScore: 214 | INTScore: +3
Arcana: +5
History: +5
Investigation: +5
Religion: +5
:
 16 | WISScore: 0

Animal Handling: 0
Insight: +2
Medicine: 0
Perception: +2
Survival: 0
:
 10 | CHAScore: -1

Deception: -1
Intimidation: -1
Performance: -1
Persuasion: -1
:

Languages: Common, Abyssal, Celestial, Primordial

FeatsWar CasterPrerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell
You have practiced casting Spells in the midst of Combat, learning Techniques that grant you the following benefits:
You have advantage on Constitution Saving Throws that you make to maintain your Concentration on a spell when you take damage.
You can perform the somatic Components of Spells even when you have Weapons or a Shield in one or both hands.
When a Hostile creature’s Movement provokes an opportunity Attack from you, you can use your Reaction to Cast a Spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity Attack. The spell must have a Casting Time of 1 Action and must target only that creature.

| FeaturesRitual CastingYou can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don’t need to have the spell prepared.
Arcane RecoverYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher. For example, if you’re a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.
BladesongYou can invoke an elven magic called the Bladesong, provided that you aren't wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield. It graces you with supernatural speed, agility, and focus. You can use a bonus action to start the Bladesong, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don medium or heavy armor or a shield, or if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon. You can also dismiss the Bladesong at any time (no action required). While your Bladesong is active, you gain the following benefits: You gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). Your walking speed increases by 10 feet. You have advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. You gain a bonus to any Constitution saving throw you make to maintain your concentration on a spell. The bonus equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

| ActionsRapierATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]
RANGE: 5ft
MAGIC BONUS: 0
CRIT RANGE: 20
DAMAGE: 1d8 + DEX [3]
TYPE: Piercing
DESCRIPTION: melee weapon (martial, sword)

Bladesinging Rapier StrikeATTACK: DEX [3]+ Proficiency [2]

| SpellsCantrips
Blade WardBlade Ward
Abjuration cantrip
Casting Time:1 action
Range: Self
Target: Self
Components: V S
Duration: 1 round
Description:You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Booming BladeBooming Blade
Evocation cantrip
Range: Self (5ft radius)
Target: One creature within the spell’s range
Components: V, M (a melee weapon worth at least 1 sp)
Description:You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 3d8) and again at 17th level (3d8 and 4d8).

Green Flame Blade1st Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (5-foot radius)
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects, and you can cause green fire to leap from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes fire damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 fire damage to the target on a hit, and the fire damage to the second creature increases to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 2d8) and 17th level (3d8 and 3d8).

1st-Level
Expeditious Retreat1st Level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Classes: Artificer, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: This spell allows you to move at an incredible pace. When you cast this spell, and then as a bonus action on each of your turns until the spell ends, you can take the Dash action.

Magic Missile1st Level Evocation
Range: 120ft
Target: A creature of your choice that you can see within range
Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dart for each slot level above 1st.

Tensors Floating Disk1st Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 30 Feet
Target: An unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range
Components: V S M (A drop of mercury)
Duration: 1 Hour
Classes: Wizard
Description: This spell creates a circular, horizontal plane of force, 3 feet in diameter and 1 inch thick, that floats 3 feet above the ground in an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range. The disk remains for the duration, and can hold up to 500 pounds. If more weight is placed on it, the spell ends, and everything on the disk falls to the ground. The disk is immobile while you are within 20 feet of it. If you move more than 20 feet away from it, the disk follows you so that it remains within 20 feet of you. It can move across uneven terrain, up or down stairs, slopes and the like, but it can’t cross an elevation change of 10 feet or more. For example, the disk can’t move across a 10-foot-deep pit, nor could it leave such a pit if it was created at the bottom. If you move more than 100 feet from the disk (typically because it can’t move around an obstacle to follow you), the spell ends.

Tash's Hideous Laughter1st Level Enchantment
Components: V S M (Tiny tarts and a feather that is waved in the air)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Classes: Bard, Wizard
Description: A creature of your choice that you can see within range perceives everything as hilariously funny and falls into fits of laughter if this spell affects it. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or fall prone, becoming incapacitated and unable to stand up for the duration. A creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or less isn’t affected. At the end of each of its turns, and each time it takes damage, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. The target has advantage on the saving throw if it’s triggered by damage. On a success, the spell ends.

Identify1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Casting Time: 1 Minute
Range: Touch
Target: One object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell
Components: V S M (A pearl worth at least 100 gp and an owl feather)
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Wizard
Description: You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.

Detect Magic1st Level Divination
Classes: Artificer, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any. The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

Absorb Elements1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 Reaction, which you take when you take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage
Components: S
Classes: Artificer, Druid, Ranger, Sorcerer, Wizard
Description: The spell captures some of the incoming energy, lessening its effect on you and storing it for your next melee attack. You have resistance to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. Also, the first time you hit with a melee attack on your next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 damage of the triggering type, and the spell ends. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Charm Person1st Level Enchantment
Target: A humanoid you can see within range
Classes: Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: You attempt to charm a humanoid you can see within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw, and does so with advantage if you or your companions are fighting it. If it fails the saving throw, it is charmed by you until the spell ends or until you or your companions do anything harmful to it. The charmed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance. When the spell ends, the creature knows it was charmed by you.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them.

Comprehend Languages1st Level Divination [Ritual]
Components: V S M (A pinch of soot and salt)
Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard
Description: For the duration, you understand the literal meaning of any spoken language that you hear. You also understand any written language that you see, but you must be touching the surface on which the words are written. It takes about 1 minute to read one page of text. This spell doesn’t decode secret messages in a text or a glyph, such as an arcane sigil, that isn’t part of a written language.
[Initiate of High Sorcery Feat]
Shield1st Level Abjuration
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell
Duration: 1 Round
Description: An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.

The roiling fire, rich wine, and calming atmosphere after such a long trip had found its way deep into his muscles, relaxing him to the point where he had fallen asleep, the empty clay cup of wine resting loosely in his hand as he relaxed in one of the plush cushioned chairs by the fireplace. There was no recollection as to when it happened, but as he opens his eyes blearily he yawns and stretches, letting the concern drift away. The inn is safe, he is surrounded by friends, and that nap was well deserved. Looking around, he wonders what the rest were up to. Hunni and Mery seem engrossed in a deep conversation given their thoughtful expressions, though the tightness of the face of the half-Elf and the strained biting her lip give him the impression that they were perhaps, too involved for him to interrupt with his lazy meandering thoughts at the moment, as even Hunni has a thoughtful look instead of the usual nonchalant gaze. Artanis, Modri, and Coltan all seemed to be in their own conversation as well, a crowd he finds himself a little intimidated by. As a Wizard with a penchant for poetry and soft colors, it was not often he was looked upon favorably by the more martial inclined acquaintances he had known, and while these men had not given him reason to think they are like many in his past, a bias is not so easy to overcome. He yawns again. The warmth of the fire making him feel quite like butter, and if he is not careful, he will melt once more in front of the flames, there is no time or benefit to standing in front of an open flame worrying about one thing or another. Slowly pushing himself to his feet, mourning the loss of the comfortable give of the chair against his back, he stifles yet another yawn and approaches the bar looking for a pick me up.

"Miss Yalme, if I may intrude, do you perhaps have any coffee or a particularly strong tea back there? I can't seem to keep my eyes open..."

He smiles at his own silly joke as she nods and begins to prepare his request.

spacer.png

OOCAction: Sprint to the weapons cart and search for Decimus' Rapier, Artanis' Sword, Mery's Arrows, and Modri's Axe.

Bonus Action: Enter Bladesong

Movement: With Urgent Orders, my action to Dash, and Bladesong increasing my regular movement by +10m, I have 110ft of movement in order to get to the cart through difficult terrain. Hopefully that is enough

Reaction: If the last rider is near and attempts to strike, Decimus will cast Shield as a Reaction, giving him +5AC

Edited by tyrtaeus (see edit history)

16 (+3)

Mery spends several seconds waiting patiently for a response to her proposed book topic, but none is forthcoming. 'Why is it always like this?' she wonders. 'I say something about something I care about and no one can be bothered to reply. Are they bored by my ideas? Do they think they're terrible but just don't have the guts to tell me? Or are they simply digesting what I'm saying? I bet I said if I wanted to write some book for entertainment purposes, I'd get a lot more responses. Or maybe these people have never undergone hardship and simply don't understand how helpful encouragement can be when you're struggling. Or they have and they just prefer to avoid thinking or talking about it. Which would be ridiculously short-sighted, but what can I do about it?'

When it becomes clear that no answer is going to be forthcoming, she turns her attention to her other companions, deciding that she needs to keep believing in her idea regardless of how anyone else responds or doesn't respond. Decimus seems to be hanging out on the edge of things, so she says to the wizard, "Decimus, why don't you tell us about why you wear an eye patch? Did you lose an eye, or is the patch more for flavor?"

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

Ammunition:

Spellcasting:

Class Features:

OOC

token_1.png.ba18d35c074c2d2a05b1e13a8e573631.pngDecimus - Initiate of High Sorcery | Bladesinger Wizard | Human

AC: 13[+5 from Shield, +3 from Bladesong]  | HP: 14/14 [+4] | Speed: 30 ft [+10ft] | Spell-casting: +5 / DC 13
:
:

:

:

You have practiced casting Spells in the midst of Combat, learning Techniques that grant you the following benefits:
You have advantage on Constitution Saving Throws that you make to maintain your Concentration on a spell when you take damage.
You can perform the somatic Components of Spells even when you have Weapons or a Shield in one or both hands.
When a Hostile creature’s Movement provokes an opportunity Attack from you, you can use your Reaction to Cast a Spell at the creature, rather than making an opportunity Attack. The spell must have a Casting Time of 1 Action and must target only that creature.

| FeaturesRitual CastingYou can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. You don’t need to have the spell prepared.
Arcane RecoverYou have learned to regain some of your magical energy by studying your spellbook. Once per day when you finish a short rest, you can choose expended spell slots to recover. The spell slots can have a combined level that is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded up), and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher. For example, if you’re a 4th-level wizard, you can recover up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.
BladesongYou can invoke an elven magic called the Bladesong, provided that you aren't wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield. It graces you with supernatural speed, agility, and focus. You can use a bonus action to start the Bladesong, which lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are incapacitated, if you don medium or heavy armor or a shield, or if you use two hands to make an attack with a weapon. You can also dismiss the Bladesong at any time (no action required). While your Bladesong is active, you gain the following benefits: You gain a bonus to your AC equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). Your walking speed increases by 10 feet. You have advantage on Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks. You gain a bonus to any Constitution saving throw you make to maintain your concentration on a spell. The bonus equals your Intelligence modifier (minimum of +1). You can use this feature a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

| SpellsCantrips
Blade WardBlade Ward
Abjuration cantrip
Description:You extend your hand and trace a sigil of warding in the air. Until the end of your next turn, you have resistance against bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

Evocation cantrip
Description:You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target on a hit, and the damage the target takes for moving increases to 2d8. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 3d8) and again at 17th level (3d8 and 4d8).

Description: You brandish the weapon used in the spell's casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects, and you can cause green fire to leap from the target to a different creature of your choice that you can see within 5 feet of it. The second creature takes fire damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell’s damage increases when you reach certain levels. At 5th level, the melee attack deals an extra 1d8 fire damage to the target on a hit, and the fire damage to the second creature increases to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. Both damage rolls increase by 1d8 at 11th level (2d8 and 2d8) and 17th level (3d8 and 3d8).

1st-Level
Description: This spell allows you to move at an incredible pace. When you cast this spell, and then as a bonus action on each of your turns until the spell ends, you can take the Dash action.

Description: You create three glowing darts of magical force. Each dart hits a creature of your choice that you can see within range. A dart deals 1d4 + 1 force damage to its target. The darts all strike simultaneously, and you can direct them to hit one creature or several. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the spell creates one more dart for each slot level above 1st.

Description: This spell creates a circular, horizontal plane of force, 3 feet in diameter and 1 inch thick, that floats 3 feet above the ground in an unoccupied space of your choice that you can see within range. The disk remains for the duration, and can hold up to 500 pounds. If more weight is placed on it, the spell ends, and everything on the disk falls to the ground. The disk is immobile while you are within 20 feet of it. If you move more than 20 feet away from it, the disk follows you so that it remains within 20 feet of you. It can move across uneven terrain, up or down stairs, slopes and the like, but it can’t cross an elevation change of 10 feet or more. For example, the disk can’t move across a 10-foot-deep pit, nor could it leave such a pit if it was created at the bottom. If you move more than 100 feet from the disk (typically because it can’t move around an obstacle to follow you), the spell ends.

Description: A creature of your choice that you can see within range perceives everything as hilariously funny and falls into fits of laughter if this spell affects it. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or fall prone, becoming incapacitated and unable to stand up for the duration. A creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or less isn’t affected. At the end of each of its turns, and each time it takes damage, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. The target has advantage on the saving throw if it’s triggered by damage. On a success, the spell ends.

Description: You choose one object that you must touch throughout the casting of the spell. If it is a magic item or some other magic-imbued object, you learn its properties and how to use them, whether it requires attunement to use, and how many charges it has, if any. You learn whether any spells are affecting the item and what they are. If the item was created by a spell, you learn which spell created it. If you instead touch a creature throughout the casting, you learn what spells, if any, are currently affecting it.

Description: For the duration, you sense the presence of magic within 30 feet of you. If you sense magic in this way, you can use your action to see a faint aura around any visible creature or object in the area that bears magic, and you learn its school of magic, if any. The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt.

Casting Time: 1 Reaction, which you take when you take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage
Description: The spell captures some of the incoming energy, lessening its effect on you and storing it for your next melee attack. You have resistance to the triggering damage type until the start of your next turn. Also, the first time you hit with a melee attack on your next turn, the target takes an extra 1d6 damage of the triggering type, and the spell ends. At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the extra damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Description: You attempt to charm a humanoid you can see within range. It must make a Wisdom saving throw, and does so with advantage if you or your companions are fighting it. If it fails the saving throw, it is charmed by you until the spell ends or until you or your companions do anything harmful to it. The charmed creature regards you as a friendly acquaintance. When the spell ends, the creature knows it was charmed by you.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 1st. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them.

Description: For the duration, you understand the literal meaning of any spoken language that you hear. You also understand any written language that you see, but you must be touching the surface on which the words are written. It takes about 1 minute to read one page of text. This spell doesn’t decode secret messages in a text or a glyph, such as an arcane sigil, that isn’t part of a written language.
Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell
Description: An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.

As Yalme slides over his steaming hot coffee, he pulls his attention from the small mug as Mery breaks her conversation to ask a question of him. A question he is not particularly sure he is ready to answer. Before the inkeeper turns away, he speaks up again.

"I apologize, I feel as though this conversation will need something a little stronger, some wine as well if you please"

Turning to face Mery, his features harden, his brow furrow and his jaw clenched. Having spent his life running away from his childhood, he was not excited to return, even for a short conversation. While Yalme prepared his wine, he sipped on his coffee and stared off into the distance, trying to think of a way to approach the subject. Slowly, the words began to form, and he shifted uncomfortably, leaning against the bar, unable to make eye contact.

"My mother was... A complicated person. I never knew my father, as far as I am aware, he never had a place in her life beyond their initial meeting. Over time, I can't recall when it started, she fell under the illusion that my father was a demon who had used demonic magic to seduce her and force her to raise his corrupted child. I guess she felt that because I was only half demon, she only needed to take one of my eyes to make sure he could not use me to spy on her... I'm not sure how she decided which one to take, but I don't suppose it matters... My recovery was difficult, as she did not do it gently, but I survived, and as soon as I recovered enough, I snuck away in the back of a merchant caravan and never looked back..."

During the tale-telling, Yalme had slid a cup of the rich red wine across the bar, and he switches from the hot, bitter concoction to the rich, velvety wine, and in an out of element move, tips his head back and drinks deeply from the cup. Finishing the wine, he places the cup gently back onto the bar top, and uses a napkin to dab his mouth slowly before turning back to Mery, this time making eye contact.

"I take my time, and I take in my surroundings and admire as much beauty as I can, because I can never shake the feeling that maybe... she was right, but took the wrong one..."

spacer.png

OOCAction: Sprint to the weapons cart and search for Decimus' Rapier, Artanis' Sword, Mery's Arrows, and Modri's Axe.

Movement: With Urgent Orders, my action to Dash, and Bladesong increasing my regular movement by +10m, I have 110ft of movement in order to get to the cart through difficult terrain. Hopefully that is enough

Reaction: If the last rider is near and attempts to strike, Decimus will cast Shield as a Reaction, giving him +5AC

16 (+3)

Mery blinks, the only evidence of startlement at Decimus' story. She gives a thoughtful pause, then says, "Well, one thing we share is an absent birth father. Mine ceased communicating with my mother the moment he learned of my existence. I have a stepfather, but, well, I don't count him as a father. In fact, I think of him in my head as my mother's husband." She doesn't say why she doesn't count him as a father. "My mother's and birth father's relationship was also short-lived - about six months, I believe. As you might be able to guess from the fact that I come from Palanthas, my father is the Elf in my heritage. I am told I get my love of learning and scholarship from him, though obviously I have no personal experience with that. He committed a social taboo by taking up with my mother, but I am given to understand he is eccentric and unconventional."

"I am sorry about your eye. That's a terrible reason to lose one, especially if your mother isn't even right about you. I also suffered during my childhood, it just wasn't from anything physical. What happened to me has given me scars that can't be seen with the eye, although it does come out in my behavior at times."

"Do you have any evidence of your mother's claim? Have you ever looked into it or...ummm, manifested anything beyond an ability to do magic that would suggest she is right?" She is unsure if the wizard will be willing to answer this question, but she wants to understand. And if there is no proof, then the claim is nothing more than hearsay. Even if there is evidence, she imagines that the wizard still needs friends, especially if he is working to do good, as his allegiance to the White Robes suggests.

Actions & Resources

Actions:

Bonus Actions:

Healing Word

Ammunition:

Spellcasting:

Class Features:

OOC

:
:

:

:

| SpellsCantrips
Blade WardBlade Ward
Abjuration cantrip

Evocation cantrip

1st-Level

"Scars are scars, weapons alone do not cause wars. Family can be chosen, and made... You owe no one your love"

Decimus takes in her revelations on her own past, but does not press, nodding in understanding when she explains that her own scars exist, which the Wizard had guessed, given her insecurities. Traumatic experiences give people certain eccentricities he supposed. He could hardly say his own inertia and fear of choice was a healthy lifestyle. In spite of himself, a mirthful smile crosses his features when she asks about whether or not he had ever experienced any demonic manifestations, and instead of answering, he raises the cup of coffee to his lips and faces away from her. He takes a long draw from the drink and slowly places it back down on the bar, his hand still gripping the clay handle as he turns back.

"Truthfully, I have no evidence, but even if I did, why would I reveal my darkest secrets...?"

He winks dramatically, knowing Mery well enough. In any case, he has no desire to dwell on thoughts of his mother any longer, and his studious companion seems no less inclined to think any further on her family either. But tough conversations build character.

"What happened to your father?"

spacer.png