First One In The Breach

Grudge

I got soooooo confused by the question that I forgot the answer 😝 I had to go to the games where I already made characters to check. 🤡 It's the same as at OGMW. Only it's horizontal and not vertical, I made a new folder for characters so go there and make just press a new Topic and make a Malcom. And everyone will call you Mal. By the way, I finally found a Baldr feature that I like without caveats. If you accidentally click to a different folder before saving the post it remembers it when you return and you can just continue. And I think it remembers it for a day, if not more 

Ah, now "Characters" is presenting itself as a top level folder/subsite heading. All good.

It's unlikely he'll be called Mal. That implies he's got friends. He will, of course, be a horrible elitist. He's the brainbox at the top of the pile, not one of the grunts who do the actual mining or whatever.

By Mal, I always draw from "Firefly" episode where River says Mal means (Bad, Evil, Rotten) in Latin, That's why most of my morally dubious characters (usually warlocks) are named Malus. I think it is kinda cool, little-known thing. That's why the name is usually spelled Malcolm, kinda warding off bad things, while your is Malcom, which is more inviting. Language and Firefly lesson over 😝

Edited by Grudge (see edit history)

I have a character I have wanted to play for over 20 years, Captain Bill Pulsifer. He is more of the dashing captain kirk type. Doesn’t really seem to fit with this premise. 
I am going to roll with my communication/linguistics pitch. Name and sex TBD, probably by a good pic that speaks to me

OK gents, I found a pic that struck a little chord to awaken some creativity. Dexam the Unshakeable is coming to form. Dragging and dropping a pic was pretty easy, I was even able to figure it out without help! Now I have no idea how to size it or offset it to right, left or center, but at least I have started.

14 minutes ago, Root said:

OK gents, I found a pic that struck a little chord to awaken some creativity. Dexam the Unshakeable is coming to form. Dragging and dropping a pic was pretty easy, I was even able to figure it out without help! Now I have no idea how to size it or offset it to right, left or center, but at least I have started.

Depends on what you wanna do with it. You can just open it until you see JPG and then literally drag it to the field

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/35/b1/6a/35b16a962444cd99564948ae068bf598.jpgthe upside of this method is that resizing is easy to click twice on the pic and you will get a window with a bunch of options that you can explore but the important is size near the bottom. Make sure resizing is linked and then just write the size of pixels and it will automatically resize it. The issue with this it can create some funky stuff with the text. See that gap up there? That is not on purpose. If I started a sentence anywhere else it would push the pic down. The second way I already showed you once. Tables. It is a thingy up and right of the source. Click that aaaaaaaand there is where the table falls short, you will likely have to try a few times until you get size tight the way you want it, because if you don't know pixels right by heart it's guesswork. (scroll down)

The nice thing about tables is that you can write wherever ab pic won't move unless you want it to. If you want to manipulate the table or pic in it you press Ctrl and

right click on it and you will get special many for the table where you can do all stuff including resizing the image, adding another row, or column, naming the thing and most importantly deleting it. If you are anything like me you'll delete like 10 of them until you ate satisfied.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/35/b1/6a/35b16a962444cd99564948ae068bf598.jpg

I don't know if I'm too far off from the general intended vibe, but in terms of equipment, I was thinking of some specialized field specific stuff.

Some of the ideas I had were:

A stun gun that my character uses to keep some of the larger things he grows subdued. In my head, it looks like a big flashlight with a pistol grip and a cord that connects to a rechargeable battery pack. It shoots out what amounts to essentially a biological EMP which stuns living things for a short period of time. The battery pack is to limit the number of uses a day. The item would have a short range of effectiveness. Inside a 10 foot range whatever it is gets stunned, from 10 to 20 feet whatever it is gets dazed for a round, and outside of 20 feet it isn't effective.

The other "equipment" I considering are Dr Smithers biological implants. I was thinking blood vessels that had been made out of worm tissue that both enhance his circulatory system's performance and also reduce bleed damage.

Enhanced senses, either from implants or lab equipment.

A specialized medkit for the strange mutated viruses that survive in space as well as protection from parasitic organisms.

28 minutes ago, Fiery Gift said:

I don't know if I'm too far off from the general intended vibe, but in terms of equipment, I was thinking of some specialized field specific stuff.

Some of the ideas I had were:

A stun gun that my character uses to keep some of the larger things he grows subdued. In my head, it looks like a big flashlight with a pistol grip and a cord that connects to a rechargeable battery pack. It shoots out what amounts to essentially a biological EMP which stuns living things for a short period of time. The battery pack is to limit the number of uses a day. The item would have a short range of effectiveness. Inside a 10 foot range whatever it is gets stunned, from 10 to 20 feet whatever it is gets dazed for a round, and outside of 20 feet it isn't effective.

The other "equipment" I considering are Dr Smithers biological implants. I was thinking blood vessels that had been made out of worm tissue that both enhance his circulatory system's performance and also reduce bleed damage.

Enhanced senses, either from implants or lab equipment.

A specialized medkit for the strange mutated viruses that survive in space as well as protection from parasitic organisms.

The point of a freeform in my mind is for people to create crap together, so don't fret too much about the vibe. As for your toys, I'm not sure if you saw the Equipment part, since only armor is there now (right from Characters), I haven't yet gotten to weapons but there will be more (theoretically) non-lethal stuff than lethal and most are electric based. Besides the Stun button (that you won't have automatic access to, those are security toys), by your explanation stun gun should be within your security clearance, there is also the good ol' tazer, actually, it should go tazer, stun gun and shock rifle (all three supposed to be non-lethal stuff) Shock Rifle despite its scary name supposed to be a most powerful non-lethal weapon. It's basically a shotgun stun gun, able to shock several persons at once. It's like a last resort before real guns go out. However, as some might figure out, electric-based weapons might be slightly more damaging if aimed at augmented limbs, robots, and shells. So it's kinda rock paper scissors thing, good ol' reliable slug throwers are likely best against soft organic things. Usually, non-lethal electric stuff used on stuff based on electricity might be much more lethal, etc... there are several more such interactions. As for your personal augmentation (biological or mechanical) again depend on your workplace. Since this place doesn't have army-grade shells or weapons, a dude who decided to place a Gatling gun somewhere on his person likely wouldn't be even allowed to leave Earth if he's not in army. Same with biological stuff, faster self-healing is ok in the context of your work, and higher endurance also, but I think being strong enough to crush a metal shell would pass a mustard for a scientist. Practice self-restraint in the beginning, not one of you expected this trip to go tits up, so nothing out of the ordinary likely would not be tolerated (based on your profession). If by the end you make yourself into fire breathing lizardman with rocket launchers for hands I don't think there would be many complaints. Only this start you have to obey some... norms. Depending on how things go such things can change rapidly.

@Root @Thramzorean @Fiery Gift This kinda shows my not-very-familiar side with the West. As some of you might notice, I placed melee weapons on the table. Now disclosure, the only time I had any experience with electric weapons was from the side of one late-night club...and they were using cattle prods. I'd like to say it was some "we tough" stuff but they were plentiful and cheap in the place where is relatively lot of cattle. Been on receiving end only once, a 1/10 review, would not recommend it.

Why do I ramble about it now? Well Tazer was supposed to be the last item on the melee list, but after some digging, yeah there are real melee Tazers, however, there are those that kinda cross into stun gun territory. So before I continue. In your opinion, taser's last melee weapon, or first ranged?

I’m thinking of the stun gun as a lab tool adapted for use as a weapon. Dr Smithers uses it to kill or subdue tanks of small creatures prior to dissection and disposal. Now that he finds himself in trouble he is adapting the item to be a weapon. That’s the idea. From a crunch perspective, it is a battlefield control item with limited range and daily uses to keep it balanced.

On 5/24/2023 at 10:48 PM, Fiery Gift said:

I’m thinking of the stun gun as a lab tool adapted for use as a weapon. Dr Smithers uses it to kill or subdue tanks of small creatures prior to dissection and disposal. Now that he finds himself in trouble he is adapting the item to be a weapon. That’s the idea. From a crunch perspective, it is a battlefield control item with limited range and daily uses to keep it balanced.

Those are 2 different weapons. Taser shoots those cables stun guns shoot here on Earth now but shorter, leaving you open for melee revenge. The stun gun here shoots actual small darts filled with 1 time electric charge. While it's non-lethal (and since first on the Ranged list) it uses the equivalent of bullets. (10 per mag) it has a 30 ft. range.

A quick Google on Tasers results in two types.

1. Civilian Grade: Max range 15'

2. Law enforcement Grade: Max Range 30'

Both would be ranged weapons IMO

Stun "guns" are more of a melee weapon, you have to touch someone with them, similar to a touch attack, for the jolt of electricity to be effective.

Of course this is the current state of these weapons, not the future state.

10 hours ago, Root said:

A quick Google on Tasers results in two types.

1. Civilian Grade: Max range 15'

2. Law enforcement Grade: Max Range 30'

Both would be ranged weapons IMO

Stun "guns" are more of a melee weapon, you have to touch someone with them, similar to a touch attack, for the jolt of electricity to be effective.

Of course this is the current state of these weapons, not the future state.

Just kind of slightly reverse it and nerf something and buff something Tasers come in one variant but with adjustable power, I have no issues with placing them on the range table but they are still kinda connected to the user, It's like saying various kinds of whips are ranged. Once their "delivery system" is damaged, you are sol until you solve that. Stun Gun would maybe be better called Stun Pistol to distance the relationship bit. It's for all purposes actual pistol. The only thing is that is a nonlethal, 30 ft range. No wires some freak can damage, 30 ammo per mag, they shoot around half an inch polymer casings that when broken basically release the small lightning bolts. Two larger evolutions that are in the test phase so they should not be here are. Stun Shotgun, imagine sawed-off, but instead of sawed-off is a lever operated 4 shells shotgun, every such shell has 20 previously described half an inch polymer casings. Basically being able to make a wall of electricity, the main reason why they are in the test phase is not unreliability but calcification. During testing is shown that as little as 3 of casings can either flatline a person or leave them permanently, to use technical terminology, severely f'd up. The last one is a natural rifle. Bolt action supports all add-ons (scope, silencer, bipod...) 1 bullet before reloading. But the bullet is 2 inches long, It is meant for wildlife bullets from one of those will absolutely kill human-sized or smaller targets.

Now, there is thing it's a tiny bit harder to explain. Only Taser is hard-wired electric all others could be improvised on like a real bullet. So if we have a geneticist and a technology-savvy person. One could safely gut the bullet while leaving the delivery system intact, maybe even improved. While the other makes basically biohazard weapons that can fit in the pocket, a LOT of fun can be had with them.

Don't worry, we'll make it up. I still want the monoblade/vibroblade/diamond axe type weapon of sharpness in the boot sheath, heh.

One more serious question Grudge - you mentioned 'countries', what is the politics of the place? A unified solar system under the all-guiding benevolence of a unified organization? (not)