Out of Character thread

Vladim

2 hours ago, thesloth said:

Sort of. I'm talking about the slaying of Isildur, but I'm assuming that in a thousand years of oral retelling all we really have is the broad strokes and some propaganda.

I assume from the view point of Mordor that was a great victory. I figure they probably don't mention that he wasn't really running from the battlefield, just from an ambush.

So add a thousand years of oral retelling, remove any mention of the One Ring because that is too deep a secret for my people to know, and presto you have a legend you can motivate your Black Uruks and your Hill people with:

"The Anduin was a place of a mighty victory long ago. Our people killed one of the first Kings of Gondor, as he tried to flee across it. Got him right in the back with a black arrow. The Anduin belongs to the Orcs! And tonight we kill men there again!"

Although Elfwynn could talk the slaying of Oghma, that wouldn't be a motivator for the forces of Mordor. One of their own betrayed the sorcerers and got away with it is bad propaganda. That kind of story you would trot out when you're planning a raid on the Beornings: "3 fat pigs and a barrel of ale to the crew what brings down the traitor when we hit them Beornings tonight. You'll recognize him easy enough... He carries a Long Bearded Axe like the Hill people make.... He's the one what killed Oghma. Took the chief's head to old Beorn as a present. Don't you worry about the Bear Lord though... scouts say he is a day away holding court at some village. He won't be back until it's too late for the traitor."

Sounds good! I'll leave it to @Suzuki Stumpy to decide what to do with it.

I figure that Barin would know some detail of the slaying of Isildur since the Dwarves are longer lived than men and also tend to be decent historians … so I’ll try to dredge something up today or tomorrow….

Sweet. I really like how we are able build lore within our cultures. This is something I've only seen @Vladim and one other GM do on the weave. But I really like it.

On 4/20/2024 at 6:35 PM, thesloth said:

How did you guess?

Something told me it might be it!

How many years have you been in that one for?

I think we started that game just prior to COVID, but I can't be sure because OGMW is not taking my old login. I probably forgot the password. But I've been gaming on the weave with Eric and that circle of friends since 2018 I think.

That game has taken some long hiatuses. As did our Stargate game prior to it.

The Stargate campaign was a long one. With numerous PC switches. Then there was the quickie A-team game via Discord for the COVID era Mythweavers Meet up, if Memory serves.

But, this campaign might have been underway already?

9 minutes ago, thesloth said:

The Stargate campaign was a long one. With numerous PC switches. Then there was the quickie A-team game via Discord for the COVID era Mythweavers Meet up, if Memory serves.

But, this campaign might have been underway already?

Dramacydle started it around early summer 2016. So it'll be 8 years old soon!

On 4/24/2024 at 1:43 PM, thesloth said:

Does Dahr-Ol need to roll for the River option? He's basically laying down in the boat. Obviously, if we take the mountain hike he will be active.

Fair enough, I guess he could just chill if the others are doing all the work :)