Year 2950: A Darkness in the Marshes

Vladim

Chapter 3: The passage of the marshes

Scene 13: Farewell and safe passage

Time: Early summer 2950 T.A. Sixteen days since the departure from Rhosgobel. Early morning.

spacer.pngAs the companions made their arrangements for the journey that lay ahead, the tall figure of Hartfast approached them. The council had ended, and the chieftain now wished to converse with them. He seemed to have guessed their plans already.

He spoke to Gramtyng first.

"Ardith is doing better already, son." It was the first time that Hartfast had ever called him that. The old man looked as if he hadn't slept at all, but both relief and gratitude were evident on his face. "Lachiel is by her bedside, tending to her. And I owe you more than I can ever hope to repay for this deed alone. I am glad that I showed you hospitality all those years ago."

He turned to the others.

"So you have decided. You're off to the marshes? I cannot say that this brings me joy: you proved your valor last night, and Mountain-Hall has great need in these trying times. But so be it: maybe the old wizard is right, and maybe the source of all our troubles lies in the Gladden. Magric says he's going with you. What changed your mind?" he asked, now turning to the trapper.

spacer.png"Your guest." Magric replied with a smile. "They call him cruel-tongue in his lands, he says, but silver-tongue would be more apt." He turned to look at Gram and gave him a mischievous grin, before returning his eyes to the chief.

"They've cheated death many times already, they say. I don't know if the marshes are a place for any man at present, but if there are any folk that have hope of goin' in and comin' out unscathed, it's them. Ernstyr's coming too, and with me they should be stand a better chance of finding their way through the mists."

He turned to Gramtyng again, and jested, pointing at him with outstretched finger as if launching an accusation.

"Don't make me regret it!"

Hartfast nodded. He was not going to try to convince them to stay. And so he spoke a few parting words.

"I suppose your minds' made up then. If you need supplies, stop by the trading post before you leave. You can take anything you need. Farewell and safe passage, and do not tarry there too long. The doors of our Great Hall will always be open to you."

OOC

Ok, a few things before we move forward:

• You may visit the trading post before you leave and take any item(s) you may wish, such as new weapons and gear. The Woodmen are a frugal folk, so don't expect to find a full chain hauberk or anything like that, but weapons and leather armour and such should be fine. This can also be done for other items, such as provisions, but that's mainly fluff.
  • I made an error, but the preliminary Lore checks Cecil, Barin and Dahr-Ol rolled should have received a free attribute (wits) bonus, because of Magric's help. This means that Dahr-Ol rolled a basic success, Barin a great success, and Cecil still a failure. Mark down bonus dice for the journey and any potential advancement points.
  • Any other players that haven't rolled Lore but want to try (esp. in light of the free attribute bonus), please feel free to go ahead.
  • For the first leg of the journey to the marshes, the company is essentially going the same way they came through, by descending the Misty Mountains. I haven't posted a map but for this part, it's basically identical to the previously posted one here.
  • Everyone give me a Fatigue (Travel) check, TN 14. You may all add a free attribute (Heart) bonus, since you've come the same way relatively recently. If your Travel is favoured (underlined), add Favoured Heart instead. You may also spend up to one bonus die (d6) on this roll, if you have it (or if someone will donate it to you).

Good luck!

Bonus dice:

• Dahr-Ol: 1/1
  • Barin: 2/2
  • Cecil: 0

Gramtyng, son of Fastredspacer.png

Riders of Rohan | Standard of Living: MartialCallingTraits | AP: 1 | XP: 8 | DP: 0

Valour: 4 | Wisdom: 4 | End: 27/27 | Load: 15 | Fatigue: 1 [+1] | Hope: 12/14 | Shadow: 6 [0] | Parry: 6 | Weary: No | Miserable: No |Wound: No

Skills: Body 5 (8) | Heart 5 (7)| Wits 4 (5) | Weapons | War Gear | Equipment | Songs

The bard breathed out in relief, a slight smile on his face. "I'm glad to hear that, old man." He shook his head. "No debt. I dont see how there ought to be any debt after whats happened to me. Just helping my new home." And my new family. He added mentally. He gave Magric a thumbs up at his comment, and shrugged with a somewhat waned grin: "Had to learn fast, given occupation. Well... Safe stay to you, old man. And thanks again for agreeing, Magric."

OOC/Actions*

Forgot the +5, so Travel is a success

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)
Name
Travel
[2] (5,2,2) = 11
tor(3,no) 2,5,2,2

Dahr-Ol of the Beornings

spacer.png

Dahr-Ol chose not to take from the storehouse. If the woodmen were besieged by the goblins they would need everything. Looking to the bridge across the river he tried to recall where he had seen game sign on the way up while the rest of the party packed.

"Elfwynn, there was a copse of oak near the scree that Lachiel nearly fell on. They were mature and producing acorns. On our way down we should swing wide and try check it for bucks. If we push them towards the scree slope our chances of taking one will be better I think."

spacer.png

Name
Travel TN 14
[10] (6,4) (favor) = 20
tor(2,no,favor) 10,4,6,4

Barin Greycloak
lhV7Mo1.png

Barin shouldered his pack, thanked Hartfast once again for his hospitality and added his best wishes for the old hetman's daughter. As with others, he declined to go raid the settlement's stores at the trading post. Other than some basic provisions to see them on their way, there was naught that the Dwarf required which he, or Núr were not already carrying.

He clapped his young charge's shoulder and said to him, "Well laddie. Ready for the next leg of the trip?", Núr simply grinned at this and nodded to the elder Dwarf.

Once all were ready, with packs on their backs, he called to the one called Magric who would lead them into the Gladden. "Very well, then Magric, I can guide us back down the mountains towards the river - but once we get there, we will all be reliant upon you to secure our passage downriver from the Eáfolc. Even so, I would appreciate your aid on the journey there also."

OOC

Name
Travel check (TN14)
[10] (4,1,6) = 21
tor(3,no) 10,4,1,6

Cecil Brandybuck

Cecil did not visit the storehouse. There would be no armor for hobbits among men, and what there was for dwarves would be wide and stoutly weighted. He contented himself with this, knowing that to accept armor was in some way to accept a future he did not want to know. 

He topped off his pack with whatever crumbs of bread and jam he could salvage.

“Well, Hartfast, old fellow, I’m afraid your hospitality has spoiled me! Warm nights, soft beds, and that wonderful soup with the little mushrooms. You truly are a remarkable people at the top of all things.” He handed the man a cut of rope with a nautical tie. “Please give this to Lachiel. As long as this thread remains tied, so will we. If she should, on her travels, visit the Shire, she would do well to show them. They will know who gave it to her.”

He turned to Dahr-Ol.

“Buck and rabbits cannot easily hide in these hills. If they are there, we will find them.” 

Edited by Modest_Proposal (see edit history)
Name
Travel Check
[10] (6,3) = 19
tor(2,no) 10,6,3

Ernstyr of Rhosgobel

image.png.c4e8c72bc4927f7e9fc828e453de76dc.pngErnstyr laughed at Magric's comment. "If we are lost with you, then indeed we will be doomed. I will try not to lose you, however, for that would be far worse." And to Barin, he smiled ruefully. "Magric may have some credibility among the river-folk, but if I cannot best his knowledge of their customs then I shall retire my traveling boots in disgrace."

Ernstyr declined to take any boons from the trading post, having already outfitted himself for the dangerous journey before even arriving in Mountain-Hall.

Name
Travel
[1] (3,6,3) = 13
tor(3,no) 1,3,6,3

spacer.png

(Art credit: Descending the Misty Mountains, Jon Hodgson)

♫ The Banner Saga OST-Cut With a Keen-Edged Sword ♫

Chapter 3: The passage of the marshes

Scene 14: What the future may hold

Time: Early summer 2950 T.A. Nineteen days since the departure from Rhosgobel. Sunset.

The journey down the mountains proved easier than their ascent. The weather remained hot and dry, as was common in this season, but they no longer had to climb, which eased their strain considerably. Of course, the mountains still held many dangers, hidden or otherwise. Slipping could prove deadly at times: but they knew such perils well by now, and they remembered well where to place their feet and where to be wary.

And they now had Margic and Ernstyr with them. Magric knew the goat-paths that shepherds from Firienseld used to move more quickly up and down the mountainside. And, perhaps just as importantly, they no longer had to make their march with their backs turned to the green valley of the Anduin that lay beneath them. From the vantage point of their high perch, and with nature's aid, who gave them clear skies stretching into the horizon, they could gaze upon it and absorb the sight, and the beauty of it was such that it could lift even the most dampened of spirits.

Three days passed uneventfully. The downwards climb tested their endurance, but they had endured worse before. Perhaps there were those amongst them that missed the Great Hall of Firienseld, and the food and drink of the mountain-folk, and Hartfast's generous hospitality. But the passing of the days gave them the chance to know each other better: a chance they should welcome, given the perils that likely lay ahead, in the marshes of the Gladden.

spacer.pngMagric proved a cheerful fellow on the road. More cheerful than Gramtyng remembered him, when he had encountered him in the trading post of Mountain-Hall, yet not unlike the man that had accompanied him to Stonyford a few years prior. He proved an invaluable scout, finding paths that others overlooked with ease, and ways around natural obstacles when they encountered them. And when night fell, he sat with the others around the campfire and boasted and jested in an amicable manner. During those times, he liked to smoke his pipe-an old habit that Gram remembered well. But he seemed to have picked new habits as well. He had a flask on his hip, and he took sips from it frequently, and not only when they made camp, but also during the daytime descents.

It was at sunset, on the third day of their departure form Firienseld, when they were already at the foothills of the mountains, that Magric, warming his hands by the fire, wished to inquire about their future plans.

"Dwimmerhorn, then..." he said, whispering the name of that accursed place, aware of the fact that some amongst the company may think it ill-fortune to even speak it openly. "The wizard wants you to find it... so let's say that we manage it. What then? Has he told you what you are to do then?"

OOC

Everyone passes their Fatigue (Travel) checks with flying colors, so there's no travel fatigue gains. @thesloth just a correction that the dice roller is set up for second edition, where 'favored' means a different thing, so it's better not to activate that option in this case... but Dahr-Ol passes the check anyway so no big deal!

Don't forget to record any Advancement Points from your successful rolls.

Since Xmas is soon approaching, I'm good to let this RP scene unfold for a little bit. I may be popping in to add replies and keep the conversation flowing; I won't necessarily wait for every player to post for this since one reply may be sufficient (and it makes the conversation feel more real, a common problem in PbP when everyone's talking at the same time).

As I understand it, the goal of the company is to go to Traders' Isle and seek out the éafolc. This is a reasonable plan. If this happens, since the company will no longer be avoiding other peoples, I will remove the -2 hunt modifier ('rarely trodden lands'), which will bring us closer to a revelation episode.

An Insight check (TN 14) reveals that although Magric appears cheerful on the surface, he is in fact using jests and the march and drinking from his flask to try to take his mind off of their final destination-he is still uncomfortable with the idea of entering the marshes, which should not be entirely surprising to Gramtyng (given their conversation in the trading post of Mountain-Hall).

Dahr-Ol of the Beornings

spacer.png

Dahr-Ol picked his way down the slopes, carefully following Magric's lead. The man knew this area well, it was obvious. What seemed less obvious was why Magric was so talkative. It was a stark change in his demeanor.

"Finding this place is half the task, that is true. We must learn what role it plays in the increased numbers of goblins in these lands. I suppose that will aid the wizard and no doubt ourselves in defeating our enemies.

Being on the road agrees with you, Magric. It's good to be out in the open, travelling the lands, I say."

spacer.png

Name
Insight
[9] (2,3,2) = 16
tor(3,no) 9,2,3,2

Ernstyr of Rhosgobel

image.png.c4e8c72bc4927f7e9fc828e453de76dc.pngMuch of Ernstyr's earlier talkative demeanor is erased as the party leaves Mountain-Hall. In the wilds, every leaf-scrape against the dry tree roots could announce a threat, for the days of peaceful travel along the paths of the Gladden are as yet a memory of blessed days past. He takes his duties as lookout seriously, keeping his eyes and ears trained toward the horizons. Still, he can hear the hushed tones of Magric and the talk of the Dwimmerhorn. Without turning, he rejoins, "I suppose it depends on what we find. If it is the work of orcs and goblins, then dint of numbers may well be our guide. If it is the work of wizards, however... then we shall have to hope Radagast is not too far off to attend to the matter."

Name
Insight
[5] (5) = 10
tor(1,no) 5,5

Dahr-Ol of the Beornings

spacer.png

Dahr-Ol cocked his head as Ernstyr opined on the nature of the troubles.

"If by wizards you mean the human sorcerers who grovel for power from the Shadow, I should think none of my former kin would be found this far south. Their numbers were greatly diminished in battle some generations ago. If by wizards you mean men like Radagast I have never heard of such. Though in truth, I have never met any of his fellows.

Cecil's kin used to tell tales of a Gandalf who was one such. But they believed him above reproach, much like Radagast. What sort of wizard do you mean, Ernstyr?"

spacer.png

Elfwynn joined the conversation as it turned to her former people, "Our former people were hard pressed last I saw them. Forced to give thralls to Viglund. I do not believe they would be able to maintain an outpost this far south. But their masters have many servants, it does not necessarily need to be Hillmen who are the hands of the shadow in this."

Barin Greycloak
lhV7Mo1.png

Happy to not have much to do in his role as guide for the moment, Barin enjoyed the sunshine as the company made their way back down the mountains and into the plains of the river once more. On the way he chatted amiably with all who were of a mind to and probed Magric when able as to the flora, fauna and peoples of this region.

He couldn't quite put his finger on it, but there was something about Magric's good humour that seemed a little forced, but he paid it no mind. After all, the man had only just come through a near-death experience, and Mahal only knew how that could affect a person's demeanour.

So, around the campfire on the third day, when the conversation turned to the Dwimmerhorn, he finally realised what had been niggling him from the outset, what to do once - if, he corrected himself - they reached their destination?

"Magric, you are correct in that we need to reach the Dwimmerhorn, but as to what then? Apart from a survey of what, who and in what numbers, I suppose we play things by ear. If we can get in, survey the scene and depart without confrontation, well, that would be nice. But I doubt things will be that easy."

"Still, let us not darken the mood any further until we have need. Tell us more about these river folk we are set to deal with. I have heard tell of them, but only via hearsay, never directly have I encountered them before." Nodding towards their other new companion he added, "Ernstyr, did you not also say you are familiar with them?"

OOC

Name
Insight
[2] (4,6) = 12
tor(2,no) 2,4,6

Ernstyr of Rhosgobel

image.png.c4e8c72bc4927f7e9fc828e453de76dc.pngTo Dahr-Ol, Ernstyr can only shrug. "Perhaps it is much assumption on my part. Yet it seems to me that orcs cannot make fog spring up from the ground unbidden, nor conceal a fortress such that none can find it. Is it more comforting to believe these evils can spawn from nature itself, or that there is a twisted mind behind them?"

Seeing that Magric continues to avoid the difficult conversation, the Woodman latches on to Barin's question. "Yes, indeed. Magric would probably say that I have an unnatural familiarity with them, but I would rather tell you that I share their sense of wandering and curiosity. Woodmen seem to have a natural inclination to put down roots, and inwardly they know the river-folk are vital to the flow of trade through this part of the world."

spacer.pngAs Ernstyr finished, Magric added his own thoughts, so that the rest of the company would know more.

"Aye, they ain't too bad." he answered, but then quickly corrected himself with a smile. "Well, most of them anyways. Ask your friend." he continued, this time pointing a finger towards Gramtyng. "He's been to the isle, and he's seen them and broken bread with them, I hear. Haven't you?"

He waited for a moment, and then allowed Gram a few more minutes to gather thoughts and old memories as he explained his own further.

"The Woodmen-they don't like 'em too much, and I couldn't speak freely about it in Mountain-Hall. I s'pose one too many have been tricked or cheated by the river-folk over the ages in the Marketplace: sold some shiny trinket for a pretty penny, only to find out all too late it's useless. You know how it is: word spreads around, and before long the stories grow."

He rubbed his wrist and scratched his chin.

"They do like to drink and to gamble, and some of the young ones even venture into the fields of the Gladden, looking for treasures. Worst of all, though, they have no home: only the river. That's enough to make 'em seem strange to peoples such as Hartfast's. That's all there is to it, I think."

Gramtyng, son of Fastredspacer.png

Riders of Rohan | Standard of Living: MartialCallingTraits | AP: 1 | XP: 8 | DP: 0

Valour: 4 | Wisdom: 4 | End: 27/27 | Load: 15 | Fatigue: 1 [+1] | Hope: 12/14 | Shadow: 6 [0] | Parry: 6 | Weary: No | Miserable: No |Wound: No

Skills: Body 5 (8) | Heart 5 (7)| Wits 4 (5) | Weapons | War Gear | Equipment | Songs

"Aye." Agreed Gramtyng, a bit ascent-mindedly. The journey was so far proving a bit too relaxed for how he pictured it, though Magric's smile seemed... frozen at best? He wasnt sure why. "Visited their Market a few times, usually got a good deal. They appreciate humor an' song, so we got along fine. They respect Old Mab, an' I do to... Its enough common ground, for me." He took the pipe from his mouth. "Mind you, the gamblin' played up a bit more, so you can run into getting a poor deal when you talk prices. Gamblin' doesnt suit the woodmen much, I think."

OOC/Actions

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)
Name
Insight
[1] (1,3,3) = 8
tor(3,no) 1,1,3,3

Cecil Brandybuck

The weed of men was harsher than Cecil liked, and not as clean (there were always bits of twig and dirt in the pack). Still, he was thrilled to have another piper. He offered Magric a pinch of pipeweed before laying down to close his eyes and listen. “Try this, would you? Smooth as a dry leaf.”

Three weeks of near-constant travel had done much to improve his keel. His blisters had softened while at Mountain Hall and had not returned. No longer did he lag behind, though he still thought the pacing too timely each morning. 

He opened an eye at the talk of wizards. A strange term for strange men. Smoke lifted from the crack of his grin.

“Yes, Gandalf. We called him Gandalf. An old hawk, maybe older than Radagast, if you can imagine. And a good deal friendlier, at least to the peculiar sort of hobbits. Big white beard! Haven’t seem him since… the dragon incident.” He raised an eyebrow. “I suspect he got bored with us, as travelers do, and took his tricks Eastward. Radagast may be a keen sort, but I don’t see what good he’d be on the road or in a marsh. Best to let him wave his crooked stick and point it out to use poor fools, instead.”

His eyes softened as he looked at Barin and Dahr-Ol.

“Anyway, I have cross-purposes in Gladden, though I don’t expect it to concern any of you. Ernstyr - what do you know about Dwimmerhorn? We had heard that - those that seek it often become lost. That it is a cursed place.”

Edited by Modest_Proposal (see edit history)