Year 2950: A Darkness in the Marshes

Vladim

Cecil Brandybuck

There was nowhere to hide from that skittish arrow. He could only hope that Ernstyr was ready with arrow nocked.

“Well! Is this how you treat all the weary that wash upon your shores, or do we look especially miserable? I'd say - if you meant to loosen that arrow, you wouldn't have told us the whereabouts of your kin. Am I right, yes? No harm done, no harm! See, we are not all strangers.” He gestured to Ernstyr and Gramtyng. "We only wish to speak with your people."

Name
Persuade
[2] (1,3) = 6
tor(2,no) 2,1,3

spacer.pngAn expression of recognition came over the face of the child as Cecil motioned towards Ernstyr and Gramtyng. There were still a good few dozen paces between him and the company, but his eyes lingered on the Woodman, and he relaxed his stance, if only slightly.

"My people," he answered, "...are to the south, as I have said already. Seek them there if you wish."

There was a hesitant pause, but soon he added a few more words.

"Have you not come for the market, then?"

OOC

Even though Cecil failed his Persuade check, interaction can continue as saying certain things here can ensure a reaction. Basically, RP >> rolls in some cases in this scene.

Cecil Brandybuck

Market...

Anywhere else, that word would mean fresh bread and cakes, cabbage, mushrooms, and eggs. But not here. Not in this miserably place… 

“That is for us to decide, my boy, and decide we will! But first we must find them. You've been helpful - and they will know of it. Goodbye for now." He bowed with a tuck of his cloak, spun around, and walked as cooly as he could manage with an arrow still nocked before him.

Dahr-Ol of the Beornings

spacer.png

Dahr-Ol and Elfwynn whispered quietly between themselves as the boy talked with Cecil. After a moment Dahr-Ol grunted and shrugged.

spacer.png

Elfwynn handed her spear to Dahr-Ol before addressing the lad in her strongly accented common, "Chyeld, dangerous this place is. If your people left you here you to guard their camp you must be brave and a good shot. Foul creatures stawlk these fields. If your people will be long in returning, you would be welcome to travel with us. Large bands roam these lands, such as even you might not be able to fend off. In fact, we could help you in meeting with your people if you were willing to guide us."

Name
Persuade check, Dahr Ol will burn a point of Courage if that is allowable
[1] (3,3) = 7
tor(2,no) 1,3,3

spacer.pngCecil's words had a calming effect on the dirty little lad: at once the hobbit's eagerness to leave and bid the boy farewell put him at ease, and he seemed relieved. He lowered his weapons-bow and sword-but still kept his eyes on them, seeking to see if they would fulfill Cecil's promise and leave him be.

But then Elfwyn spoke, and offered to aid him. Such aid he had no need of, as was soon made evident by his response.

"I have a duty to keep the watch here, until they return. And I need no guide, and nor do you. As I said, you will find my people southwards along the waters. There is only one river, and even those that are not water-wise have no danger of getting lost."

Of course, by "those not water-wise" he meant none other but the company that stood before him.

Those amongst the company that had keen eyes and ears for how folk behavedMinimum Insight of 3 dots... could sense something strange... too eager was this boy to be rid of them, even though they posed no apparent threat. But why?

OOC

Any PC with an Insight score of 3 dots or greater can attempt an Insight check (TN 14) to try and figure out what is wrong...

Dahr-Ol of the Beornings

spacer.png

Dahr-Ol watched the boy, even if he were the camp guard why would they leave things in disarray? At least the tents would be pegged down and closed up to protect the contents from weather. What then, he wondred.

spacer.png

Elfwynn took a step back not wishing to antagonize the boy, "As you wish."

Name
Insight TN 14
[𐍈] (6,3,5) = 14
tor(3,no) 11,6,3,5

OOC

According to the rules (Rivendell), rolling an Eye increases Eye Awareness even if the roll is a success. Eye Awareness score is therefore increased.

Below, I add some private text for Dahr-Ol.

Dahr-Ol of the Beornings

spacer.png

This would be delicate, and Dahr-Ol was not good at delicate. He finally settled on non confrontational. Setting down his axe and Elfwynn's spear he plopped down on the ground cross legged. As far from ready for combat as he could make himself.

"You're a good lad. And no doubt faithful to the end. Were I sick or injured, or just elderly, I would be glad of having one such as you guard me. What I don't understand is why your people would abandoned you both. Are the goblins that close? Have the shadows stretched this far? Gramtyng and Ernstyr here both say the river folk are close knit. They look out for their own. I respect that.

We would offer your companion in yon tent any such healing as we can provide. And we know a good healer who might be persuaded to travel if our skills are insufficient. There can't be much game on this island. I have some skill at hunting. I could bring food if you do not need medicine. Why have you two been left here? What happened that could drive the river folk away from their own?"

spacer.png

Elfwynn frowned in puzzlement as Dahr-Ol made himself defenseless but she did not move to stop him.

Gramtyng, son of Fastredspacer.png

Riders of Rohan | Standard of Living: MartialCallingTraits | AP: 1 | XP: 8 | DP: 0

Valour: 4 | Wisdom: 4 | End: 27/27 | Load: 15 | Fatigue: 1 [+1] | Hope: 12/14 | Shadow: 6 [0] | Parry: 6 | Weary: No | Miserable: No |Wound: No

Skills: Body 5 (8) | Heart 5 (7)| Wits 4 (5) | Weapons | War Gear | Equipment | Songs

Gramtyng furrowed his eyebrows as the others spoke with the boy. He was... familiar, but it has been years and he didnt recall every name and face he'd ever met. "You are... Wigfrith? Winfrith? Sorry, my memory is a bit foggy. I recall you running errands a few times when I visited. You remember? I bought some trinkets from you a few times." The Beorning speaks truly. While we need no guide... And neither do you - but could you use some other help?

OOC/Actions*

Adding my 1 point of Fellowship that I contribute - the success is upgraded to Extraordinary... And I'd like to invoke Story Telling for the third dot - I know its not quite a 'story' but its just something he(boy) can relate to (the memory). Like an anecdote? But if not, understandable.

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)
Name
Insight
[2] (1,6,1) = 10
tor(3,no) 2,1,6,1

spacer.pngTaken aback by the stubborn insistence of Dahr-Ol and Gramtyng, that somewhat contradicted Cecil's desire to leave the boy be and bid him farewell, the child stood surprised. The Beorning's guess had not fallen far off the mark.

"Winfrith." the boy said at length, now remembering Gramtyng, and perhaps Ernstyr as well. He stayed silent for a while, unsure of what to tell them-then suddenly he sheathed his sword and shouldered his bow. He had come to understand that they were no threat to him.

"My uncle is in that tent... There is no herb or healer that can help him. He is dying: of old age, but I still refused to leave him. The others are gone now."

He waved his hand about the air, indicating multiple directions. "South, as I said, and some into the fields of the Gladden."

He spat, and a cast his eyes downwards. "It's been many days now... they will not return, will they?" he added grimly.

OOC

Spending that Fellowship point and invoking story-telling is fine by me! I'll update the first page.

Cecil Brandybuck

Cecil pivoted with a faded expression.

"Your uncle is fortunate to have such loyal attendance, but you need not wait for them. Maybe their ships ran aground. Maybe they need your help." Cecil reached out a hand. "Our boats are not far - just there. We could take your uncle with us, assuming he is well enough to move. What do you think? Speaking as a fisherman... if I were him, I would rather sleep on the river than in a tent."

spacer.pngWinfrith shook his head in reply.

"He's too old: bedridden and blind, and dying. It won't be long now, but I will make his passage easier. He will not leave the island, and neither will I... I will bury him here, like he always wanted..."

He paused, and seemed to sink into sudden sorrow, but he did not allow it to overwhelm him, and he gathered his strength and resolve and spoke on.

"The others will not return. Those that went into the marshes set out many days ago. They sought the others that were lost there... but now think they have become lost too, or worse yety. There's been talk of orcs moving in the mists in great numbers; there's a good chance my kin will not come back at all..."

As they continued to discuss, trust between Winfrith and the company grew. What had happened here soon became clear even to the least attentive: the river-folk had lost parties of hunters and fishermen in the marshes of the Gladden. When this had become apparent, more parties were sent forth, and more, and this had continued throughout spring. But none had returned, and the evil of the marshes had at last driven all their remaining kin away.

It was, at this point, unclear if Ernstyr's éafolk friends were amongst those that had disappeared in the marshes, or those that had followed the river southwards on their barges.

Cecil wished to speak to the boy's dying uncle. The boy allowed him to do so, and led him into the tent. Those that wished to go with the hobbit did so; the rest stood watch outside. What they discussed there, this tale does not tell.

Chapter 3: The passage of the marshes

Scene 16: Into the marshes

Time: Early summer 2950 T.A. Twenty-three days since the departure from Rhosgobel. Morning.

Less than an hour had passed since their arrival on the island, but it was soon time to depart again. Having learned all that they could from Winfrith and his uncle, the company returned to their boats. The boy would not abandon his uncle, and there was no way to convince him to come with them. His heart was set on his duty.

The Fields of the Gladden were not far now. They paddled onwards, following the gentle river as they contemplated the dangers that might lie ahead.

OOC

As per Discord/popular demand, I wrapped up the scene with Winfrith. If any of your PCs (e.g., Cecil, Ernstyr etc) want to interact with the boy, just separate your post into 2 parts and tell me what your character asks or discusses. I will summarise the outcome in a single post, and we can move on.

Everyone, please give me a Travel check (TN 14) to represent the next several days of travelling in the marshes.

Additionally, the company's hunters (Gram, Cecil & Dahr-Ol) and scout (Magric) should give me 6 skill checks, which can be any combination of Hunting, Explore or Search (your choice). This represents actively searching for the Dwimmerhorn.

Remember your bonus dice! Barin and Dahr-Ol have a few).

Name
Magric Explore day 1
[ᚵ] (3,4,3,1) = 21
tor(4,no) 12,3,4,3,1
Magric Explore day 1
[3] (4,2,6,1) = 16
tor(4,no) 3,4,2,6,1
Magric Explore day 2
[3] (2,5,4,2) = 16
tor(4,no) 3,2,5,4,2
Magric Explore day 2
[1] (4,1,6,3) = 15
tor(4,no) 1,4,1,6,3
Magric Explore day 3
[𐍈] (2,3,3,1) = 9
tor(4,no) 11,2,3,3,1
Magric Explore day 3
[ᚵ] (6,3,6,6) = 31
tor(4,no) 12,6,3,6,6
Event day 2? (Yes on 51+)
1d100 88

Barin Greycloak
lhV7Mo1.png

Returning to the boats, a dour and silent Barin clambered in without his customary complaining that Dwarves are not aquatic creatures. The boy had impressed him with his devotion to duty, but also saddened him with the tale of how the Eafolk had slowly been whittled away into the Gladden.

At least, whilst they were on the river, there was little for him to do other than watch - the others were far better boatmen than he was and as far as guiding went, well, there really was only one way for the company to go ... downriver.

Name
Travel check
[𐍈] (6,1,3) = 10
tor(3,no) 11,6,1,3

Gramtyng, son of Fastredspacer.png

Riders of Rohan | Standard of Living: MartialCallingTraits | AP: 1 | XP: 8 | DP: 0

Valour: 4 | Wisdom: 4 | End: 27/27 | Load: 15 | Fatigue: 1 [+1] | Hope: 12/14 | Shadow: 6 [0] | Parry: 6 | Weary: No | Miserable: No |Wound: No

Skills: Body 5 (8) | Heart 5 (7)| Wits 4 (5) | Weapons | War Gear | Equipment | Songs

Once the group had moved on, Gramtyng had sometimes separated from the group along with Belgo, ranging to see if he could find any trace of the Dwimmerhorn. He'd thought it wouldnt be difficult, but the fog and the unfamiliar terrain would doubtless block their sight... If not something worse. Still, he trusted in the strength of his arm, the sharpness of his eyes, and his companions. All that remained is to keep teaching is esquire all he knew, and do the job they were given.

OOC/Actions

Adding my 1 point of Fellowship that I contribute - the success is upgraded to Extraordinary... And I'd like to invoke Story Telling for the third dot - I know its not quite a 'story' but its just something he(boy) can relate to (the memory). Like an anecdote? But if not, understandable.

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)
Name
Travel
[8] (5,5,4) = 22
tor(3,no) 8,5,5,4
Hunting
[𐍈] (5,3,4) = 12
tor(3,no) 11,5,3,4
Hunting
[10] (3,4,4) = 21
tor(3,no) 10,3,4,4
Hunting