Chapter 1: By the Pricking of my thumb....

Michael

Brandisher.png.4abccf9766ad79862caaa7976666ebfe.png"Simple! These mortals were weak and unfulfilling. Angel-cradling paladins have souls bursting with virtue, and their power could be ours!"

Brandisher was not in fact ready to argue his case, but slaying crusaders that remind him of his former self is always close to mind.

"Besides, paladins have no mind for trickery! They are easy to ambush, and easier to fool - if we lay a trap for them, they will fall in on their faces!"

Grimley pipes up. Hard to tell if it's helpful or not

Well, with the town guard in tatters, y'all could waltz in...well, creep in when it's really dark art least...and get Huntsbridge and his witch pretty easy like. On t'other hand, from what I heard Flame be camped some distance from tha town, well fer obvious reasons, could be taken, I suppose.

image.png.3b04e7734d8ae67f23ecffd296b9f75e.pngCreed eyes Grimley "Do you or any of your fellows have a map?"

He looks about, looking at the guards weapons and armor. "You should also have our new friends equip themselves a little better. You first mind, as you've been the most helpful."

MolgrugMolgrug blinks. The hound is certainly not well-versed in public speaking, and both his rhetoric and his elocution leave a little to be desired.

"Yes, well, um, strong points," he says in an annoying and slightly disparaging tone. "Many questions remain, however. How strong is this force of paladins? How might we lay a trap for them?"

He turns to the humans.

"Grimble! Who is this "Huntsbridge" you keep talking about, and are you sure that his witch is actually a witch?" He demands. "You are quite sure that she is not a sorceress, warlock, incantrix, shaman - or, in fact, simply some charlatan, preying upon the foolishness of small-minded country bumpkins such as yourselves?"

Statblock

[URL=https://test.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2794812][B]Molgrug[/B][/URL] [B]Senses:[/B] Darkvision 60ft, Spot/Listen +7, [B]Init:[/B] +2 [B]HP:[/B] 9/9 [B]AC:[/B] 15, [B]Touch:[/B] 11, [B]Flat-footed:[/B] 13 [B]Saves:[/B] Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +5 (+2 vs mind-affecting spells, +4 vs poison) [B]Spells:[/B] Command, Resurgence, [strike]Obscuring Mist[/strike], Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light [B]Special:[/B] None
Molgrug
Senses: Darkvision 60ft, Spot/Listen +7, Init: +2
HP: 9/9
AC: 15, Touch: 11, Flat-footed: 13
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +5 (+2 vs mind-affecting spells, +4 vs poison)
Spells: Command, Resurgence, Obscuring Mist , Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light
Special: None

Vrockv2.png.7061aa1e9941662b23152259ccde478f.pngKerapsis|Female, Medium Outsider (Tanar'ri, Extraplanar, Evil, Chaotic), Vrock, Cleric 1

HP: 11/11 | AC/Touch/FF: 16/12/14 | Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha: +4/+2/+3/+0/+3/+0 | F/R/W: +5/+4/+5 | Speed: 30ft | Spells Active: 

“I have to admit the paladins are quite tempting. But I wouldn't be opposed to taking on the town leadership either if we don't know how strong the paladin force is.”

Kerapsis felt like she was finally getting used to her new reduced form, and looked forward to more combat, providing that they weren't biting off more than they can chew.

She briefly considers the guards' armor, but decides she prefers to stay light on her feet for now, even if her current armor is of quite inferior materials.

Actions

The bandits listen in wide eyed surprise at the generosity of the arms offer and waster no time stripping the guards and outfitting themselves.

Reckon we could pass as town guard, at least from a distance

comments one of the men.

Grimley, seeming impervious to the mispronunciation of his name, responds to Molgrug

Huntsbridge be tha mayor, such as the position exists in tha town. As fer the witch question

He shrugs

I dinnae ken there be a difference twixt any of those.

MolgrugOh dear. The ignorance of these peasants is astounding!

"I think you'll find..." Molgrug wheedles, "that there is quite a difference between different users of magic, both in terms of their education and areas of focus, and also the manner in which they utilise magic! It's quite important to distinguish between someone who has been granted their powers by a pact with some entity - and indeed the nature of that entity, be it divine, infernal or otherwise - and someone who has an innate ability to perform acts of magic! Or whether they have learned the Art through rigorous study!

"No, listen, pay attention!" he sniffs, seeing that the humans clearly ascribe much less importance to these things than he does. "This is quite important! And, what is this witch's relationship with Mayor Huntsbridge?"

Statblock

[URL=https://test.myth-weavers.com/sheets/?id=2794812][B]Molgrug[/B][/URL] [B]Senses:[/B] Darkvision 60ft, Spot/Listen +7, [B]Init:[/B] +2 [B]HP:[/B] 9/9 [B]AC:[/B] 15, [B]Touch:[/B] 11, [B]Flat-footed:[/B] 13 [B]Saves:[/B] Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +5 (+2 vs mind-affecting spells, +4 vs poison) [B]Spells:[/B] Command, Resurgence, [strike]Obscuring Mist[/strike], Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light [B]Special:[/B] None
Molgrug

image.png.3c50f5f01340f5cf1820543dc2b4fceb.png"So she's either there for the good of the community or she's controlling the Mayor. Could be an ally. Especially if the Paladins are suspicious of her."

He watches as the bandits swap out their old crappy gear with the guards better gear.

"We can continue this discussion in another place. I expect we will get further attention if we stick around here. So why don't we move on." He purposefully looks at Grimley.

DESCRIPTION Kaida was once a powerful and beautiful creature. She had sweeping wings, full and strong, and glorious horns! Her body was a powerful killing machine through which poisonous toxins flowed to strike down her enemies with. Her body had been strong and hardy, capable of going toe to toe with devils of much higher ranks than she.

Now she is but a pale echo of what she once was.

She was never a hulking creature and that is still true. Not even reaching two feet in height she is as tiny as ever. Her wings are small, much less muscle supporting their frame, and her tail, as long and sinuous as ever, was tipped by a stinger that was coated in what should have been a vibrantly colored sap-like toxin. Instead it was dull, and watery, quite weak indeed.

Her choice of color is always black and gray when given the option. Sometimes she'll stray from the more "bland" colors to exceedingly dark blues and purples but she does so very rarely. Clothing with folds and hidden pouches or pockets for concealed weapons are always of interest to her and she is rarely without a hooded vest.
| APPLICATION | SHEET
spacer.pngKaida Reombath Attor
Female, Tiny Outsider (Baatezu, Extraplanar, Evil, Lawful), Imp, Swordsage 1

AC/TAC/FFAC: 16/15/12 HP: 10/10 S/D/C/I/W/C: 0/+4/+3/+1/+3/+0 F/R/W: +5/+6/+5 Move: 20' Init: +5
See in Darkness (Su)Kaida, like other devils, can see perfectly in any form of darkness as if it were full daylight.; Tail StingMelee Attack, 10' Reach, 1d4+StrMod, 20/x2

Poison
Fort save DC 16
Dexterity 1 (primary) / Dexterity 1 (secondary)
MA +3, 1d4+Poison (20/x2); Concealment 20% vs. Ranged and Melee
Balance +8, Escape Artist +10, Hide +16, Listen +7, Move Silently +8, Search +5, Spot +7, Survival +7, Tumble +8
Maneuvers: Burning Blade (DW), Counter Charge (SS), Mighty Throw (SS),
Shadow Blade Tech. (SH)Shadow Hand Strike 1; Supernatural
Standard action melee attack vs. 1 target

You create a mystical double of your attack and roll two d20's for your attack vs. the target. Select the roll you want to use. If its the higher one its a normal attack. If you use the lower attack (or if both rolls are the same result) and the attack hits then you deal an extra 1d6 points of cold damage as both strikes hit.
, Child of Shadow (SH, Stance)Shadow Hand 1 Stance; Supernatural

If you move at least 10' during your turn you gain concealment against all melee and ranged attacks until the start of your next turn as well as the standard benefits of concealment. This cannot be used to hide in any form, you still need some other terrain feature that would normally allow you to use the Hide skill.

She half listened to the conversation as she mulled things over on her own. Kaida was so often on her own, always having to look out for herself, that working with others was simply not something she'd really ever become used to doing. This "group" thing was strange and felt unnatural really. Why after all wouldn't she be plotting against most of these others let alone the humans. Still, survival was of course more important than any of that and somehow the drive simply wasn't there like it had been, prior to the gate incident itself. It was almost as if something fundamental in her own nature had changed. The fact that some of these gathered here were willing to work with others clearly was an indication that they were likely suffering from this strange new affliction just as she was.

Regardless of all that clearly they needed to move and figure out their next step. "It seems to me as though providence, or simply horrible planning by a bunch of idiots, either of which I care not, has created a situation where we should take advantage of the towns weakness. Clearly its not a large place for this to have been a large force but still having the advantage now is something we should take advantage of sooner rather than later. At least, that would be my suggestion at this point."

She eyed the remains of the fallen warriors and the bug, half eaten, she was still holding. Somehow she was both hollow and full at the same time. It was a strange sensation and clearly one unrelated to normal hunger. It felt more innate, more like a primal need and in fact seemed most similar to the old drive that was gone after so many years. This was a new drive and one that was clearly about sustenance of a particular nature.

OoC

Summary: ---

Full Round: ---
Move: ---
Standard: ---
Swift: ---
Immediate: ---
5' Step: ---

Current Effects:

• Concealment 20% from all ranged and melee attacks; Child of Shadows Stance

Molgrug

"Yes, yes, we should move on, with all haste!" Molgrug agrees, nodding at Creed. "But the question remains: to where? To ambush the paladins? To the residence of this witch? Perhaps we should visit the mayor directly? Or establish a secret base of operations within the city, from which to launch our dastardly attacks?"

Statblock

Molgrug
Edited by TheFred (see edit history)

Vrockv2.png.7061aa1e9941662b23152259ccde478f.pngKerapsis|Female, Medium Outsider (Tanar'ri, Extraplanar, Evil, Chaotic), Vrock, Cleric 1

HP: 11/11 | AC/Touch/FF: 16/12/14 | Str/Dex/Con/Int/Wis/Cha: +4/+2/+3/+0/+3/+0 | F/R/W: +5/+4/+5 | Speed: 30ft | Spells Active: 

“I say we confront this witch. See if she’s of any use to us, and take out the potential threat if not. Maybe she’ll have some spells for Molgrug.”

Kerapsis considered adding a snide comment about Molgrug’s reliance on his spellbook, but she decided against it in hopes to avoid a rambling tirade on the importance of the organizational skills he brings to the group.

Actions

Molgrug

Molgrug nods his agreement, keen to replace what he can from his ruined possessions.

"Oh, yes, that should most definitely be one of our near-term objectives," he says. "I'm afraid that since everything I had went up in, as they say, smoke, and I myself... well, we all are, not quite overselves, eh? Ha, ha. Well, I'm sorry if my weather magic wasn't quite what everyone wanted, but you have to invest in things if you want results! I rather think that dedicating a portion of what existing resources we do have - that is to say, well, time and personnel, given the state of our current inventory - to the acquisition of magical supplies will, in the longer term, pay dividends!"

He scratches his head, considering.

"Now, that said," he adds, "dear old Brandisher here did seem to have his blackened heart set on attacking these paladins. A pre-emptive strike, wasn't it? Jolly good! Eliminate the threats before they are even threatening? And, I must admit, I too am... hungry? I have a sort of craving... it's rather strange, but I do feel that eating a paladin would be somehow quite satisfying... not that I am not "hungry" for knowledge, as it were, ha ha! I could quite happily devour a tome or two, should this witch or, indeed, perhaps the mayor, have anything. Nothing like sitting down with a good book, wouldn't you say? I, um, don't suppose you have a favourite? I'm quite a fan of the classics, myself."

It seems a vain hope; one would expect that the elite lords of the outer planes, however militarily-minded, would at least be literate... but after having their brains addled by this ill-fated escapade, it's doubtful that most of these characters would be able to read a menu with "Paladins" written on it in very large letters, let alone a whole book!

Statblock

Molgrug

image.png.bb102698456e72b37a31e3d36dfe4f02.pngCreed looks at Molgrug, his eyes narrowing. "Do you always babble this much?"

He shrugs. "I don't really have a preference. But I am tempted to go have a look around this place. I won't stick out as much as the rest of you lot."

He moves closer to Grimley and speaks in a lower voice. "What about god botherers? I mean priests or clerics by that in case you're confused. Any experienced enough to cause a problem? Or any new or young ones?"