Session 5: The Shadow Beckons

GM Saint

@WolfBirch @TheGospel @Diofant @Rumrunner @Knave

The day goes of the battle goes on and grave are dug. The goliath bodies are carried outside of town and collected into a large pyre, where they are subsequently burned. The inn doesn't open today but special considerations are made for you as word quickly spreads around just how influential you were in defeating the goliath raid, notably killing both their leaders and forcing their retreat.

Night falls and you all retreat to your rooms, those who have them. When the next morning dawns, this time without a raid on the town, you all gather for breakfast together. Nobody had spoken yet when Agatha, the innkeeper, tosses a plate of fried potatoes and cheese in front of you all. "So are you going to find it? The thing what's been killing all the animals? Mayor said you might take up his bounty and ain't nobody else steppin' up." Her eye was still swollen a little from where the goliath had hit her yesterday and she looked stressed. After all, while her rooms were sold out, a tavern with no food to sell was going to struggle. "Somebody has to stop waitin' for someone else to do it..."

She looks like she's on the verge of tears. If things get bad enough, if people get hungry enough, she might find her inn has a target on it. "Someone's gotta stop it before it kills so damn much the Vale don't ever recover."

https://www.myth-weavers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107520&stc=1&d=1667330676Name Barkvin | Class Cleric 5 | AC: 18 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +2 / Dex +1 / Con +2 / Int +0 / Wis +7 / Cha +2 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (1/1)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life | Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (5/5) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (4/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (3/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS save), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6)

Level 3 | (2/2)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute), Revivify

Barkvin digs into the potatoes and cheese. "Argh, a pint of ale if you please Agatha. I hope yer feelin' better. We will do what we can. Looked for the thing before and didn't find it. Will try again. If we don't get ourselves killed in the process." He reaches down and pats the clay jar in his bag and looks around at his companions trying to figure out what they might be thinking. Takes a long draw on his mug, takes a deep breath and starts eating again.

Mechanics

Reaction:  none

Move: none

Action: none

Bonus Action: none

OOC: none

Edited by WolfBirch (see edit history)

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Ved Kith (AKA Kirit)  |  Class: Fighter 5 

AC: 16+1HP: 60/60 | Hit dice: 4/4d10 

SR Abilities: SDice: 4/4d8  1/1d6 | Action surge 1/1 | 2nd Wind 1/1

LR Abilities: Luck 2/2     Attacks Extra attack, and off-hand attack
Rapier +5 1d8+3
Light crossbow 80/320 +5 1d6+3
 | Saves Str +3 | Dex +3 | Con +4 | Wis +1 | Int -1 | Cha +0; | Maneuvers Precision attack | Menacing attack | Trip attack | Parry | Riposte | DC 13;

"The Baroness already paid me in advance, so I'm in." Ved turns to Aaliyah. "Can I keep the rock-sword thing in your magic bag? I want it close to hand, but I can't carry it while we hunt. I mean, if you are coming?"

Murdain.png.7541035011445ee62ce0a68e221882f9.pngMurdain Shattershield

Class: Psion 5 | AC: 14 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

ConditionsPotion of Heroism |0/3 0/35/5d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 4/4 SR|💼 InventoryA crowbar
A set of dark common clothes including a hood
A belt pouch
Cloak of Elvenkind,
Thieves' tools,
Woodcarver tools,
1x dagger(focus)
Explorer's pack(backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit,
a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations,
and a waterskin.
50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side
Rapier, light crossbow, 20x bolts
Harmonica
2x Healing potion(Minor)(Chargen2+1)(1 used)
Ball bearing bag 1gp
Chalk/coal 1cp
Flasks x 5 10cp
Bag of caltrops - 1gp(used, but will re-collect)
Insect Repellant 1sp
Oil Flask x5 5sp(1 used)
Parchment x5 5sp
Net x3 3gp
Scroll Case 1gp
Alchemist Fire x 2(5d8 Fire, nonmagic, Dex15 for half, 5x5 radius)
7 gp, 25sp, 7cp
Potion of Heroism x1(1 used)
Potion of Ghost Form x1
Studded Leather Armor x1
Horse(Glutton) with saddle x1
Wolfskull 'Staff' of Cone of Cold.

Murdain ate quietly, listening more than speaking. His manner was slow, deliberate, taking care to absorb and remember what Agatha had said for later, if he ever possibly had a doubt about what needed to be done, and what these people were reduced to from just one such encounter. Of course, it was easier said than done - assuming they could find it - he briefly glanced at the others, slightly turning his head - he was confident they could kill it. Yesterday, and in the fights before, he knew they were more than enough, if they worked to their strengths. His own strengths, he knew, were somewhere between tactics and scouting instead of direct confrontation, but he'd work with what he had. Barkvin meant well, but something about his manner just then got on his nerves a little, given the situation. Maybe he was just cynical, or becoming a grump like Ved... Who cut right to the chase. The dwarf put down his fork, having finished his meal.

"The main issue's not killin' it, I think." Murdain wiped his mouth clean, his old manner of speech returning from what it was yesterday. "..Is finding it thats the problem. So unless anyone got some good ideas, I'm thinkin' we gonna need to risk the jar... But let me open it, somewhere far from here, with you lot watchin'. Reasons." He lifted his hand, thumb and little finger tucked in: "...Could be some kinda marker. 'm already marked by em, so no skin off my back. Two, could be inhaled poison meant fer keen noses. I'm a dwarf, so I'm best at handlin' poison, worst comes to worst, we got Bark's healing. Three, in the unlikely event its meant to take out the one thats opened it entirely, rather it be me than any of you, who can hold the line, or our healer. Logical?" He looked around the group, looking for agreement, questions, or arguments. "...Lastly, best we prepare for it the way we said yesterday. Reverse the chessboard an all that."

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action: 
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)

image.png.0d2bf1c6a4777346ef39bc7c9b9df1f0.png

Name Aaliyah | Class Warlock/Sorc | Level: 3/2 | AC: 17| HP: 43/43 | Prof: +2 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 13 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Hex Curse: [o] Attacks: Leaf | +8 | 1d8+5 slash - EB | +7 | 1d10 Forcex2

CantripsEldritch Blast, Mold Earth, Shape Water, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Message       Spells Known (6)1: Hex, Shield, Disguise Self, Absorb Elements, Speak with Animals
2: Misty Step, Mirror Image, Shatter
:

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o][o]

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 Sorc Points: 2/2

Spells (Sorc lvl1) [o][o][o] (War lvl2) [o][o]  

"We don't need it. The Shadow is wherever the goliaths hunt. That has to narrow it down, right?" Aaliyah had stood up to give the innkeeper a hug. Everyone was afraid and Aaliyah was no exception.

Releasing Agatha, she sat back down to explain. "Animals don't just spread out to fill a gap. If you kill all the prey animals in an area, the predators move to new territories to find game. If you kill all the predators, the prey flourish.

The Shadow is killing both. Hes just leaving an area barren. In a few years things may migrate in but it won't happen right away. What I mean is killing all the animals here doesn't cause a famine there. So the Shadow, as a predator, moved to fresh lands. Lands with no Skorn to hurt it and plenty more food.

But it happened so fast, it must have more babies now. I do not think it will be hard to find once we get closer."

She happily allows Ved to stow his rocksword. Aaliyah is dressed a bit differently today. Her boots are higher and her glaive is much smaller, now strapped to her back as a spear. She has an ornate round shield that she sets next to the table. Its metal with a furry leather back. Its painted green and almost looks like its made of leaves folded together. On its front is an image of a two headed wolf on silver and a crescent moon behind it.

On her head is a fun little hair piece that makes it look like she has cat ears. She drew it as a joke but thought it looked fun and had it made quickly.

Edited by TheGospel (see edit history)

Class: Psion 5 | AC: 14 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

ConditionsPotion of Heroism |0/3 0/35/5d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 4/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 1/1 LR|💼 InventoryA crowbar
A belt pouch
Cloak of Elvenkind,
Thieves' tools,
Woodcarver tools,
1x dagger(focus)
and a waterskin.
Harmonica
Ball bearing bag 1gp
Chalk/coal 1cp
Flasks x 5 10cp
Insect Repellant 1sp
Oil Flask x5 5sp(1 used)
Parchment x5 5sp
Net x3 3gp
Scroll Case 1gp
7 gp, 25sp, 7cp
Potion of Ghost Form x1
Studded Leather Armor x1
Wolfskull 'Staff' of Cone of Cold. DC15.

Aaliyah's shield heraldics distracted Murdain, and he spent about a half-minute staring at it with a grim look on his face. Seemed like you just couldnt outrun fate, even if you had none. The dwarf then pulled at his beard, briefly considered the possibilities in his head. "I get your point, that may work." He finally said. "To play devil's advocate, though, its about two days ride to their lands, and we're leaving the town in this state. We cant get it wrong, and your words are just a theory... Though a logical one." He took out a small map and started making markings on it with a piece of charcoal. "...We're also leaving the town exposed to the Skorn, who may be just as bad if not worse than the Goliath. Using the jar would start us off with them... So its a tradeoff." He paused again and circled an area to the north of Empyrean's Rest. "On the plus side, General Moonforge will be arriving to town soon, so they can organize a proper defense - he may boost their morale. Should probably spread that so folks dont think of leaving, which is worse for everyone. Other bonus is..." He tapped the marker where it said 'Exile's Pass'. "...If Aaliyah's right, this town is either gone or needs help. We might be able to do something... But Shadow first."

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action: 
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)

nopeys-norman-de-mesa-princessmononoke6merged2lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww2.jpg.2eef72a6061a2e02d985d446276169df.jpg.aeb1341eb5e0b968dfd7a6a1b397e93c.jpg

Name: Souris Garou | Class: Druid 5 | AC: 16 | HP: 45/45 | Prof: +3 | PP: 17 

SavesStr -1 / Dex +2 / Con +1 / Int +4 / Wis +7 / Cha +0 | AttacksShillelagh | +7 | 1d8+4 ;Bludgeoning | CantripsGuidance, Shillelagh, Shape Water | Magic Items2x Healing Potions | Wildshape:CR: 1
No Flying Speed
Duration: 2hrs

▣ ▣

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack: +7 | Level 1Detect Magic, Faerie Fire, Goodberry, Healing Word, Ice Knife ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣  | Level 2Detect Thoughts (1/day per feat).
Moonbeam, Pass without Trace, Summon Beast
 ▣ ▣ ▣ | 
 Level 3Plant Growth ▣ ▣ | LuckWhen failing any D20 check, you may spend one luck die to reroll the result. This decision is made after the roll but before the results are known. You must declare the use of this dice in your post. These die refresh during a long rest.  ▣ ▣

Souris noticed Murdain's reaction to the shield, and was about to nudge him out of his daze when he finally came to his own senses. It made sense why Aaliyah was so upset about the werewolf mercy killing by Calli. It could be said that she herself should have more sympathy for the shapeshifters, but the reality was that her experience gave her less sympathy instead of more. The cat ears only got slightly less of a frown than the potatoes and cheese breakfast. It was a good thing she wasn't a cat or this food would be now sitting on the lowest shelf, where it belonged. No meat? May as well just eat a goodberry and be done with it.

"Are you sure though Aaliyah? Did you speak with any of the Goliath's? Maybe it's already been through there too and is off again. We really don't have time to dally on a hunch, especially if it means a few extra days of travel in the wrong direction. Maybe we can ask one of the goliaths? Are there any prisoners? Or maybe some way to speak with their dead?"

Name Aaliyah | Class Warlock/Sorc | Level: 3/2 | AC: 17| HP: 43/43 | Prof: +2 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 13 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Hex Curse: [o] Attacks: Leaf | +8 | 1d8+5 slash - EB | +7 | 1d10 Forcex2

CantripsEldritch Blast, Mold Earth, Shape Water, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Message       Spells Known (6)1: Hex, Shield, Disguise Self, Absorb Elements, Speak with Animals
:

"I'm pretty sure, yeah. What direction do they live in? North? Which way was it running when we were chasing it before? North..." she sighed a little, frustrated at the doubt that she might actually be a smart person.

"So we go north and run it down or you take a good strong whiff of the stuff the evil death priest gave you. I don't see a third option on the table."

nopeys-norman-de-mesa-princessmononoke6merged2lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww2.jpg.2eef72a6061a2e02d985d446276169df.jpg.aeb1341eb5e0b968dfd7a6a1b397e93c.jpg

SavesStr -1 / Dex +2 / Con +1 / Int +4 / Wis +7 / Cha +0 | AttacksShillelagh | +7 | 1d8+4 ;Bludgeoning | CantripsGuidance, Shillelagh, Shape Water | Magic Items2x Healing Potions | Wildshape:CR: 1
No Flying Speed

▣ ▣

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack: +7 | Level 1Detect Magic, Faerie Fire, Goodberry, Healing Word, Ice Knife ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣  | Level 2Detect Thoughts (1/day per feat).
 ▣ ▣ ▣ | 
 Level 3Plant Growth ▣ ▣ | LuckWhen failing any D20 check, you may spend one luck die to reroll the result. This decision is made after the roll but before the results are known. You must declare the use of this dice in your post. These die refresh during a long rest.  ▣ ▣

Souris was not liking Aaliyah's tone, not this early in the morning. She hadn't known what she'd been up to yesterday and now the half-dryad girl was telling her to do as she said or take a good strong whiff of something that was guaranteed to be quite unpleasant... It had the druid's hackles raising. Something that she was trying to be open minded about in helping everyone despite the risks. Popping a piece of cheesy potato in her mouth, she crushed in slowly between her teeth, trying to make sure she didn't snap at the wood headed half-elf. It very much lacked the soothing sensation of crushing meat, there were no juices coming from it, no severing of flesh, just the mashing of roots and curds into a gooey paste, and while it allowed time to pass, that only allowed the comment to fester in her rumination. After a bit, she finally swallowed the goop and spat back.

"So we ride north. That's fine, it's a good idea... and I'm sure the shadow tentacle monster easily found. Given it disappeared right in front of us here, I expect we can just go north and run it down. I mean north can't be that big can it? And we won't have to worry about the evil death priest following us, it's not like they can track us or anything... oh wait."

She shrugged and looked to the sky, then popped another piece of potato in her mouth and chomped it.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107520&stc=1&d=1667330676Name Barkvin | Class Cleric 5 | AC: 19 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (1/1)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life | Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (5/5) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (4/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (3/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS save), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6)

Level 3 | (2/2)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute), Revivify

Listening to the bickering he just finishes his plate and sips on his ale. "Aye, well, north is as good a direction as any when you don't know which way to go. I'm happy to open the jar, once we are clear of town and give it a sniff to make sure it don't kill right away. But in the end Souris your the only one who could track it by scent. The jar is really the only lead we have on trying to find the thing. The risk is great, but these are desperate times if we don't do something folks will starve. As it is will take time for the animals to come back to this area." He looks the druid in her eyes. "Please, Souris we need your help. I know the risk is greatest for you. At least think about it. If you want me to eat some of what's in the jar. What ever it takes to give you a level of comfort. I need to help the people here, but I don't want it to be at the cost of your life."

Mechanics

Reaction:  none

Move: none

Action: none

Bonus Action: none

OOC: none

Edited by WolfBirch (see edit history)

ConditionsPotion of Heroism |0/3 0/35/5d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 4/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 1/1 LR|💼 InventoryA crowbar
A belt pouch
Cloak of Elvenkind,
Thieves' tools,
Woodcarver tools,
1x dagger(focus)
and a waterskin.
Harmonica
Ball bearing bag 1gp
Chalk/coal 1cp
Flasks x 5 10cp
Insect Repellant 1sp
Oil Flask x5 5sp(1 used)
Parchment x5 5sp
Net x3 3gp
Scroll Case 1gp
7 gp, 25sp, 7cp
Potion of Ghost Form x1
Studded Leather Armor x1

Cheese and potatoes werent bad, but they were much better smothered in gravy. Preferably of the beef variety. There were no more eggs, it seemed; his darkest fears of a pie-less existence were beginning to realize themselves. He raised an eyebrow quizzically at Aailyah's outburst. It wasnt like her. Nobody here questioned her intelligence with their questions but committing without discussion or challenging a proposed solution was just... happy go lucky, and didnt sit well with him. It wasnt his way, at least - it seemed like Souris agreed. He pat her on the shoulder with a calming gesture, though he figured it was Aaliyah that was on edge; maybe something to do with what happened yesterday? Or Ved? He'd have to talk to her regardless. Sometimes her naiveté got on his nerves, but this just looked like hostility - and she had no enemies here. "The goliath are not nomadic, but their hunting grounds will be vast and not easily searched. It will be more difficult if they still have a fighting force and didnt send all of it here." The dwarf began slowly, placing his elbows on the table and joining his hands finger-to-finger. "Lets consider our options carefully before committing. Nobody here wishes ill on another, we've all fought and bled together, so I'd like to think we're all companions if not friends." He looked at Aaliyah.

"The death priest will doubtless follow us - specifically me. That may alleviate threat on Empyrean's Rest. The Shadow, given it is invisible, wont be found as simply as climbing a tree and surveying the area. Scent is an easier way; unfortunately we've no access to the spell the death priest has been using on me... Unless of course he can be... convinced to use it on our part." He considered that. Even if the bastard found the monster, 'its among some trees' isnt really going to cut it; but there were other ways. "As I said, I volunteer to open the container first, somewhere far from here. Worst comes to worst, we fight them first. As for the dead... Barkvin, do clerics not have that ability?" He half-turned his head to the half-orc.

"Lastly, even if we choose to track the thing..." Murdain leaned back in his chair and scratched his beard with a thoughtful look. "...Didnt Areya, earth be like goosefeather to her, have a hunting dog? And Aaliyah can speak with animals."

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action: 
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

:

"I thought we were friends but I'm told I'm a naive little idiot who shouldn't trust any of you. But here I am anyway, trying really hard to not expose any of you to death magic but you're all looking for reasons why you have to do it anyway. Its okay though. My mother wants the Shadow dead too now so I'm still coming."

Aaliyah wasn't eating anything. She didn't have much of an appetite this morning. "What are you going to do with the dog because I'm not using my magic to have an innocent dog sniff at the death jar."

A belt pouch
Cloak of Elvenkind,
Thieves' tools,
Woodcarver tools,
1x dagger(focus)
and a waterskin.
Harmonica
Ball bearing bag 1gp
Chalk/coal 1cp
Flasks x 5 10cp
Insect Repellant 1sp
Oil Flask x5 5sp(1 used)
Parchment x5 5sp
Net x3 3gp
Scroll Case 1gp
7 gp, 25sp, 7cp
Potion of Ghost Form x1
Studded Leather Armor x1

"You are naive, which isnt necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not sure who told you that you're an idiot. Same person who told you not to trust us?" Murdain frowned, looking for Ved Sr, then shook his head. "Nobody here really wants to take unnecessary risks. But risks are unavoidable - you open one door, and another opens, right? So we go north without any further leads than going north." He spread his hands. "Like I said, your thought process is logical. It probably went north since the Goliaths are displaced. Are you willing to bet the lives of this entire town that you're right, though? One of the worse case scenarios is we go north and eventually find it, but it takes a long time, and we come back to a starving town. Or worse." He finished grimly. "I'd not ask anyone to risk themselves without volunteering myself. Lets try worst case here too. There's poison in the jar and I die instantly. Say I'm even beyond Barkvin to bring me back. There's now one fewer of you, but you know that wont work, and Skorn cant track me."

He glanced at her shield through narrowed eyes, then picked up a piece of bread. "To answer your question, I was going to open the jar, open it to see if its dangerous, then let the dog track the Shadow instead of Souris." He chewed the bread thoughtfully, then swallowed and ended his words: "If your meaning is if I value Souris' life over a dog, then my answer is yes. I would also put my own life as of less importance than this town's. So my proposal is risk management over risk avoidance, but I do appreciate you're trying to steer us away from danger, as a friend."

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action: 
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

No Flying Speed

▣ ▣

▣ ▣ ▣ | 

Souris' face dropped, wide eyed at the half elf's comment. "Well if that isn't the needle calling the thorn a prick... if anything you've been undermining anyone else's ideas and basically calling us idiots. I've backed up up every plan you had to date, even carrying you on my back into and out of danger to do it. On your instruction I've ran out to confront goliaths, taking blows enough to kill a large bear, twice and then some! That's not fun, it bloody hurts! But I would never consider holding anyone but myself to any of that. I would love to not stick my nose anywhere near the damn death pot, but if the chance is high that I'll have to, I'd much rather us check it here where there's a safe place to recover and a paladin, than out in the middle of nowhere north hills filled with Goliaths who have good reason to want us dead. I'm sorry some jackass called you an idiot, but don't put those words in my mouth."

She had more to say but stopped, and stuffed another damn angry potato in her jaws to mash into goo.