Session 5: The Shadow Beckons

GM Saint

image.png.0d2bf1c6a4777346ef39bc7c9b9df1f0.png

Name Aaliyah | Class Warlock/Sorc | Level: 3/2 | AC: 17| HP: 43/43 | Prof: +2 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 13 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Hex Curse: [o] Attacks: Leaf | +8 | 1d8+5 slash - EB | +7 | 1d10 Forcex2

CantripsEldritch Blast, Mold Earth, Shape Water, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Message       Spells Known (6)1: Hex, Shield, Disguise Self, Absorb Elements, Speak with Animals
2: Misty Step, Mirror Image, Shatter
:

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o][o]

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 Sorc Points: 2/2

Spells (Sorc lvl1) [o][o][o] (War lvl2) [o][o]  

"I don't think that's how famine works. If the Shadow appeared outside that door and we killed it right this second, that doesn't make the town less hungry. It'll be a year, right? At least a year for populations to recover a little. Maybe longer, maybe less, but even if it takes us an extra week to find it that won't change things short term.

And I'm not naïve... I don't understand why you all do some of the things you do but I see you for who you are. You're a lonely girl whose afraid nobody actually likes you and can't see you're at a table full of people who love you to death and are fighting each other trying to protect you. You're a surly old dwarf - wait, maybe all dwarves are surly... - who is has some kind of heavy weight on his shoulders and keeps trying to get himself killed to make up for it but you're also a really good man and everyone at this table looks to you to take the lead. You're a happy go lucky but secretly cynical priest who loves his charges even though many of them don't deserve it. And Ved is a big jerk because he's a really good man who is really afraid he'll end up like his father so he acts like he already is, but he isn't fooling me because he ran outside to fight goliaths who weren't trying to hurt him knowing he wouldn't be paid for it. And... I don't know where the elf who doesn't like me is." She looks around, just now noticing Callisto wasn't there.

"The only thing I don't understand is why you all WANT to use the jar. If that priest hadn't given it to Barkvin, we'd still be sitting here solving this problem without it." She tried to eat something but mostly to shut herself up. It didn't help. "Oh! And I WISH it was going East because there's a great big nasty dragon there who I bet would be super mad about having to compete for snacks."

aaeab0ec9ec05e7e374192a8c918efb0.jpg.9c9492306808a75c5c4c34e10ca190e7.jpg.df53af570761510c0a6575a6223f536f.jpgName: Souris Garou | Class: Druid 5 | AC: 16 | HP: 45/45 | Prof: +3 | PP: 17 

SavesStr -1 / Dex +2 / Con +1 / Int +4 / Wis +7 / Cha +0 | AttacksShillelagh | +7 | 1d8+4 ;Bludgeoning | CantripsGuidance, Shillelagh, Shape Water | Magic Items2x Healing Potions | Wildshape:CR: 1
No Flying Speed
Duration: 2hrs

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack: +7 | Level 1Detect Magic, Faerie Fire, Goodberry, Healing Word, Ice Knife ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣  | Level 2Detect Thoughts (1/day per feat).
Moonbeam, Pass without Trace, Summon Beast
 ▣ ▣ ▣ | 
 Level 3Plant Growth ▣ ▣ | LuckWhen failing any D20 check, you may spend one luck die to reroll the result. This decision is made after the roll but before the results are known. You must declare the use of this dice in your post. These die refresh during a long rest.  ▣ ▣

A growl emanated from her throat, as her rage built and her form followed, becoming larger and more predatorial. The rumble grew louder as she grew larger, muscular and lithe. Now with a size matching her fury, she was no longer a young girl at the table but rather large lion. With a roar, she battled the table up from underneath, flipping it with a swipe of her face sized paw and then her head swung toward Aaliyah, meeting her eyes. ~I never called you naive... and I never asked to be protected~ She said to the fey girl's mind, then with a sniff, turned and stalked out of the inn.

The selfish fey child, refused to listen to reason, blabbering on about how she saw everybody for what they were, about how Souris was just a lonely girl. Nothing she did mattered, just that she was some stupid lonely girl who couldn't tell if people cared about her. This was all her fault because they were trying to protect her?! She batted something down the street, a rock or a kid or something. No, it wasn't a kid, though she could really go for a small goat about now...

Agatha screams as Souris suddenly becomes a large predatory animal and knocks over a table full of precious food. She backs away in a hurry behind the bar until Souris storms out, then stares at the disaster that was the center of her common room.

1. Diofant[Murdain]Today at 1:22 AM

Can I roll Dex Save to lift a couple plates up before they get bapped off the table

2. d1abe71e35ed36f9e396bc01073c2b2c.webp?si

GMSaintToday at 1:22 AM

For certain

3. deb1841cfc56932255c6deb238c9c3d7.webp?si

Diofant[Murdain]Today at 1:23 AM

/r 1d20+4

4. d1abe71e35ed36f9e396bc01073c2b2c.webp?si

GMSaintToday at 1:23 AM

!

5. b4926b52f7f1c966e01e25f0b33253f1.webp?si

CerebroBOTToday at 1:23 AM

@Diofant[Murdain] :game_die: Result: 1d20 (18) + 4 Total: 22

dish_dash.webp.7e0fcb7592e33742c1a914265e1fda0d.webp

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Ved Kith (AKA Kirit)  |  Class: Fighter 5 

AC: 16+1HP: 60/60 | Hit dice: 4/4d10 

SR Abilities: SDice: 4/4d8  1/1d6 | Action surge 1/1 | 2nd Wind 1/1

LR Abilities: Luck 2/2     Attacks Extra attack, and off-hand attack
Rapier +5 1d8+3
Light crossbow 80/320 +5 1d6+3
 | Saves Str +3 | Dex +3 | Con +4 | Wis +1 | Int -1 | Cha +0; | Maneuvers Precision attack | Menacing attack | Trip attack | Parry | Riposte | DC 13;

Ved holds his aching head as the landlady screams.

"I'm going back to bed. Those of you who want to hunt, wake me when you are ready to leave. But I swear, we better not have any bickering like this once we are out into the wilds, or I'm going on alone. You're being liabilities with all this get on."

Edited by Knave (see edit history)

https://www.myth-weavers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107520&stc=1&d=1667330676Name Barkvin | Class Cleric 5 | AC: 19 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (1/1)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life | Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (5/5) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (4/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (3/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS save), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6)

Level 3 | (2/2)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute), Revivify

Barkvin quickly dodges out of the way. He had seen his parents have spats like this before. His father had always come back, maybe Souris would to. He jumped up and picked up the table and chairs after Souris huffed out the door. Helped to clean up the mess in the tavern as best he could. He spoke in a mumble mostly to himself, but a little to Murdain. "Aye, everyone keeps calling it a death jar, but I don't think that's what it is. Maybe I'm a little naive, but I think that the jar is what I said it was and the skorn want the shadow squid dealt with as much as we do. Do I think that they will attack us after it is dead? Yes I do." He looks at Murdain after he finishes cleaning up. "Well that planning session didn't go so well. Yes, I can ask Sola to bring someone back if they've only been gone for a minute. Shall we go look for a good hunting dog? As there ain't much use for them now, we should be able to get one."

Mechanics

Reaction:  none

Move: none

Action: clean up

Bonus Action: none

OOC: none

Edited by WolfBirch (see edit history)

Murdain.png.7541035011445ee62ce0a68e221882f9.pngMurdain Shattershield

Class: Psion 5 | AC: 14 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

ConditionsPotion of Heroism |0/3 0/35/5d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 4/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 1/1 LR|💼 InventoryA crowbar
A set of dark common clothes including a hood
A belt pouch
Cloak of Elvenkind,
Thieves' tools,
Woodcarver tools,
1x dagger(focus)
Explorer's pack(backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit,
a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations,
and a waterskin.
50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side
Rapier, light crossbow, 20x bolts
Harmonica
2x Healing potion(Minor)(Chargen2+1)(1 used)
Ball bearing bag 1gp
Chalk/coal 1cp
Flasks x 5 10cp
Bag of caltrops - 1gp(used, but will re-collect)
Insect Repellant 1sp
Oil Flask x5 5sp(1 used)
Parchment x5 5sp
Net x3 3gp
Scroll Case 1gp
Alchemist Fire x 2(5d8 Fire, nonmagic, Dex15 for half, 5x5 radius)
7 gp, 25sp, 7cp
Potion of Heroism x1(1 used)
Potion of Ghost Form x1
Studded Leather Armor x1
Horse(Glutton) with saddle x1
Wolfskull 'Staff' of Cone of Cold. DC15.

"Famine? No, I meant 'lizardmen can come to raid and in the end they'll be left with nothing'. A week of absence is a large window of opportunity, and I dont think the north can be scoured in just three days... But we could get lucky. I just wouldnt count on it." Murdain went to scoop up the grease in his plate when Aaliyah began to talk about how she saw each of them, and his brows furrowed. The hairs on the back of his neck were beginning to stand up. He'd tried to dismiss it and went back to his plate; a lot of what Aaliyah said made sense and matched up to his own perceptions, though her views were charged with a great deal more positivity than his own. Maybe he really was becoming a grump. He froze when she got to him, staring at her incredulously, and just about opened his mouth to object when he felt more than heard a growl at his side, and his hands moved at a speed he'd not seen of himself since before he quit his old job at the Valefort. It took one brief motion to send his own empty plate skidding across the floor safely, hand catching Souris' plate, the other diving for Aaliyah's still full one - at this point the table flew and Agatha screamed, while the dwarf half-jumped from a sitting position, catching the side of an empty plate - he wasnt sure whose - with his teeth, then shifted rapidly to the side and made his back paralell to the floor, putting his left foot out on the ground in a stomp to support himself, to have a fourth plate land on his back. He froze like that for a moment, before slowly putting down the plates in his hands on the floor, and took the plate's edge out of his mouth.

"Someone please take the potatoes off my back, they're extremely hot." Was what he managed, eventually feeling the plate leave his back and straightened up, grabbing up his fallen chair and twirling it to sit down again before finally breathing out, and scowling at the door. "...That was why I called you naive." Murdain massaged his eyes, still not entirely certain how he contorted himself in that manner. He went back to what she said about him and shook his head: "I cant speak to your judgement of others, so I can only comment on what you said about me. "You're right about the weight, your view of me as leader is surprising, but thank you for the compliment..." He looked up directly at Aaliyah, locking his eyes with her: "I'd be a liar to say if I havent considered looking for death even if I'd not take my own life, but I gave my word, so I will not. Maybe some of that still bleeds over." He breathed out, relaxing. "I am also not old, though I can understand why you think that. I'm about... Twenty? In human years? Thereabout. The reason I want to use the jar is because the risk of using it, to me, outweighs the risk of depending only on ourselves to find the monster."

He leaned forward on his chair and nodded to Ved, who went back to his room, with a bit of envy, wishing he could also walk away. "...I think Barkvin's right. We're jumping to conclusions. Even if the priest of Umbra is an evil man who would do the worst, we've been assuming he'll just poison the jar or whatever else he'd done with it. If I were to put myself in his shoes, and cast aside empathy, kindness, and regard for human life, leaving only goals to be accomplished..." He wiggled his fingers, slightly inclining his head to the side. It wasnt terribly difficult to get into that mindset, and it always made him wary. It was too comfortable. "...Realistically, it is of better value to be rid of a major opponent - the Shadow - by use of people you dislike - us, and then finish them off when they're wounded. Even if he really wanted Souris dead, and somehow acquired access to instant death poison - which does not exist, by the way - then you're killing off one inconvenient instead of two by not letting her fight the Shadow. It is a waste of resources. Not to mention he fully knows we've access to a cleric of Sola, and while the Shadow is invisible and hard to track, the Skorn are not."

He got to his feet. "Thank you for the breakfast, Agatha, sorry about all this. I'll talk to Souris. Lets go, Barkvin. Having a good hunting dog would be a great thing regardless." Murdain put a gold coin on the counter to account for the broken cups and the mess and headed for the door, but turned for a second: "...And Aaliyah? Most of what you said about Souris - that applies to you. I'd only suggest you think things through before you say them out loud - how others will think of it. A word isnt a sparrow - once its out, you cant return it."

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action: 
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)

Name Aaliyah | Class Warlock/Sorc | Level: 3/2 | AC: 17| HP: 43/43 | Prof: +2 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 13 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Hex Curse: [o] Attacks: Leaf | +8 | 1d8+5 slash - EB | +7 | 1d10 Forcex2

CantripsEldritch Blast, Mold Earth, Shape Water, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Message       Spells Known (6)1: Hex, Shield, Disguise Self, Absorb Elements, Speak with Animals
:

"What are you talking about?" Aaliyah yells at Souris, raising her voice for the first time. "I never said you were stupid! And you run away all you want but you don't have to ASK a friend to protect you. They just do it and I'm gonna keep doing it you big furrball! So go chase some mice or something." It was about as 'meant and she was capable of.

She didn't even notice Murdain's display of dwarven looney toon prestidigitation at first. When she did turn back, expecting to find a giant mess, she blinked at it for a moment, half listening to him. The she helped right the table and took the plate off his back.

"And if I wanted to kill us and kill the Shadow and I knew we'd use whatever magic I offered, I would use a slow curse that helped you find the Shadow but gave me access to your mind or let me siphon your magic or whatever death priests are capable of."

After Murdain leaves, she yells up to Ved. "How much do I give you to come with me and go north? Just us two. I have forty gold and you keep my share of the bounty and nobody has to die."

Edited by TheGospel (see edit history)

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Ved Kith (AKA Kirit)  |  Class: Fighter 5 

Rapier +5 1d8+3
 | Saves Str +3 | Dex +3 | Con +4 | Wis +1 | Int -1 | Cha +0; | Maneuvers Precision attack | Menacing attack | Trip attack | Parry | Riposte | DC 13;

Ved stops in the corridor. He turns around and stomps downstairs to Aaliyah.

"I don't need more than my share. That's how a bad reputation gets made, and that's bad for business. So keep your gold - you might need it later. That's the way with coin, you always need it again after you spent it.

"The mayor will pay us both when we get back. What you do with your half after that is up to you.

"I'm with you, I can leave anytime."

aaeab0ec9ec05e7e374192a8c918efb0.jpg.9c9492306808a75c5c4c34e10ca190e7.jpg.df53af570761510c0a6575a6223f536f.jpgName: Souris Garou | Class: Druid 5 | AC: 16 | HP: 45/45 | Prof: +3 | PP: 17 

SavesStr -1 / Dex +2 / Con +1 / Int +4 / Wis +7 / Cha +0 | AttacksShillelagh | +7 | 1d8+4 ;Bludgeoning | CantripsGuidance, Shillelagh, Shape Water | Magic Items2x Healing Potions | Wildshape:CR: 1
No Flying Speed
Duration: 2hrs

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack: +7 | Level 1Detect Magic, Faerie Fire, Goodberry, Healing Word, Ice Knife ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣  | Level 2Detect Thoughts (1/day per feat).
Moonbeam, Pass without Trace, Summon Beast
 ▣ ▣ ▣ | 
 Level 3Plant Growth ▣ ▣ | LuckWhen failing any D20 check, you may spend one luck die to reroll the result. This decision is made after the roll but before the results are known. You must declare the use of this dice in your post. These die refresh during a long rest.  ▣ ▣

Stalking down the dusty street, she flexed her claws and whipped her tail at the onlookers. She swaggered aimlessly for a bit, past the stables and down the allies, eventually her wanderings placed her in front of Murdain's small home. So she shrugged, leaped up and clawed her way onto the roof, then sprawled in the sun.

Dice Ex Machina

:

"Let's go then. Maybe we can find it before any of our friends kill themselves." Aaliyah goes to her room and gets her other things, mostly her bag, and then meets Ved outside. She'll get her horse and start north on the road.

Rapier +5 1d8+3

Ved saddles his horse and nudges it on to the road as well. He rides about 40 feet ahead of her as they proceed, and keeps a careful lookout for any signs of attacks. If they meet anyone on the road, he plans to ask for information.

@Diofant @WolfBirch

It isn't hard to find someone with a hunting dog. Once word gets out, a dozen men offer their own dogs, most even offering to come with you.

"I'm good with a bow, good tracker. I'll come with you and run the dogs, keep an eye out on your backs," one man offers. He was an older man but still actively did small game hunting and trapping. This is a halfling, older in years but spry enough, named Faslin. Barkvin knows he fled to the Vale years ago and he mostly runs traps. He's a grandfather by now.

You could have your choice from most dogs in the town.

@Rumrunner

You find a warm enough spot to lay. Murdains roof probably wouldn't take your weight in this form. From here, you spot the two horses leaving town carrying Ved and Aaliyah. Its just the two of them.

@TheGospel @Knave

Temporary pause for you two.

Murdain.png.7541035011445ee62ce0a68e221882f9.pngMurdain Shattershield

Class: Psion 5 | AC: 14 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

ConditionsPotion of Heroism |0/3 0/35/5d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 4/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 1/1 LR|💼 InventoryA crowbar
A set of dark common clothes including a hood
A belt pouch
Cloak of Elvenkind,
Thieves' tools,
Woodcarver tools,
1x dagger(focus)
Explorer's pack(backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit,
a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations,
and a waterskin.
50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side
Rapier, light crossbow, 20x bolts
Harmonica
2x Healing potion(Minor)(Chargen2+1)(1 used)
Ball bearing bag 1gp
Chalk/coal 1cp
Flasks x 5 10cp
Bag of caltrops - 1gp(used, but will re-collect)
Insect Repellant 1sp
Oil Flask x5 5sp(1 used)
Parchment x5 5sp
Net x3 3gp
Scroll Case 1gp
Alchemist Fire x 2(5d8 Fire, nonmagic, Dex15 for half, 5x5 radius)
7 gp, 25sp, 7cp
Potion of Heroism x1(1 used)
Potion of Ghost Form x1
Studded Leather Armor x1
Horse(Glutton) with saddle x1
Wolfskull 'Staff' of Cone of Cold. DC15.

Thankfully, it was not overly difficult to find hunting dogs even if he couldnt find Areya's - poor pup was likely with her when the Skorn hit. There were a large amount of offers, and Murdain wasnt sure what to make of it - the chance to get some extra food? Or were they just thankful because their group helped take out the goliaths? Either way, it was a bit awkward and he didnt feel it was deserved, as he'd not done overmuch in the grand scheme of things. The offers to go with them were met with as polite refusal as he could manage, knowing he was short on timeMeaning daylight hours and the danger they'd end up being in. He didnt actually explain it to anyone but when Faslin offered his aid Murdain chewed his lip. The man was a skilled tracker, and he was not - Souris almost certainly was, based on what he saw, though. It stung to refuse this old man, but it would feel significantly worse if he'd accepted and he died. The dwarf sighed, running his hand through his hair. "Listen, Faslin..." He lowered his voice. "...Not said it to the others, but... Main reason I keep declinin' is because this aint some normal hunt for food we're goin' on. You're a way better tracker than me, an' maybe better than Souris, but this is dangerous business. Dunno if I'll manage to come back - an' if I come back without you, how'd I look yer grandkids in the eye?" Murdain shook his head. "Plus, we're short on horses an' already gonna need to ride double. If you've a recommendation for a tracking dog, I'd really appreciate your opinion on it... Just need to keep the reason on the down low."

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action: 
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)
Name
Persuasion(Being Polite, maybe adv from Bark?)
keep(2d20,highest,1)+5 18,1

https://www.myth-weavers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107520&stc=1&d=1667330676Name Barkvin | Class Cleric 5 | AC: 19 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (1/1)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life | Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (5/5) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (4/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (3/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS save), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6)

Level 3 | (2/2)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute), Revivify

Barkvin agrees with Murdain as they talk to the old hunter. "Argh, Murdain is right. Yer a good man Faslin and a great tracker. The best around here, but yer family needs you. If you'd sell us one of yer dogs, a good seasoned one that knows his business but stays out of trouble, I can give you 25 gold. One of your dogs is probably worth a fair bit more, but its all I can afford. And don't offer to give us one, cause we can't guarantee he makes it back." It would be hard for this man to part with a good dog, but it would be best for everyone.

Mechanics

Reaction:  none

Move: none

Action: helps Murdain

Bonus Action: none

OOC: If the halfling sells us the dog, then head back to the tavern to gather the party. When he finds they are gone he would go look around town for Souris, before heading out.

Edited by WolfBirch (see edit history)