Session 5: The Shadow Beckons

GM Saint

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Ved Kith (AKA Kirit)  |  Class: Fighter 5 

AC: 16+1HP: 60/60 | Hit dice: 4/4d10 

SR Abilities: SDice: 4/4d8  1/1d6 | Action surge 1/1 | 2nd Wind 1/1

LR Abilities: Luck 2/2     Attacks Extra attack, and off-hand attack
Rapier +5 1d8+3
Light crossbow 80/320 +5 1d6+3
 | Saves Str +3 | Dex +3 | Con +4 | Wis +1 | Int -1 | Cha +0; | Maneuvers Precision attack | Menacing attack | Trip attack | Parry | Riposte | DC 13;

It doesn't matter at all that Aaliyah leaves no space for responses from Ved, since he has no intention of making any. After a few half-hearted attempts to reply to the non-stop chatter, he quickly realizes they will both be much happier if he doesn't speak at all. After a while he is able to fade her out almost completely, and the ride is tolerable, if not pleasant. When they make camp, Ved also pays no heed to the mayor's injunction against hunting. No point wasting bad dry rations when free and fresh was a possibility.

Edited by Knave (see edit history)
Name
Survival
1d20+1 3

Murdain.png.7541035011445ee62ce0a68e221882f9.pngMurdain Shattershield

Class: Psion 5 | AC: 14 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

ConditionsPsionic Empowerment |0/3 0/35/5d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 3/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 1/1 LR|💼 InventoryA crowbar
A set of dark common clothes including a hood
A belt pouch
Cloak of Elvenkind,
Thieves' tools,
Woodcarver tools,
1x dagger(focus)
Explorer's pack(backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit,
a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations,
and a waterskin.
50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side
Rapier, light crossbow, 20x bolts
Harmonica
2x Healing potion(Minor)(Chargen2+1)(1 used)
Ball bearing bag 1gp
Chalk/coal 1cp
Flasks x 5 10cp
Bag of caltrops - 1gp(used, but will re-collect)
Insect Repellant 1sp
Oil Flask x5 5sp(1 used)
Parchment x5 5sp
Net x3 3gp
Scroll Case 1gp
Alchemist Fire x 2(5d8 Fire, nonmagic, Dex15 for half, 5x5 radius)
7 gp, 25sp, 7cp
Potion of Heroism x1(1 used)
Potion of Ghost Form x1
Studded Leather Armor x1
Horse(Glutton) with saddle x1
Wolfskull 'Staff' of Cone of Cold. DC15.

Well, she smiled, so things seemed to be getting better. The dwarf mentally sighed with relief, nodding with a serious look on his face. "Aye, usually comes 'round when I'm trying to get some shut-eye. 'Hey Murdain, remember when...' kinda thing. Then you're left wonderin... Goes away after a bit, though. The trick is... Least for me - to not remember those kinda moments as some secret shame of yers, you just treat it as a lesson." The dwarf shrugged, untying Glutton and pocketing the net Barkvin gave back to him, nodding in thanks. "Usin' a 'I touched a campfire' as example: Makes it easier when you consider it in the 'yeah I touched it, but now I know that didnt work out' as opposed to 'damn, how could I touch it?'. Very least, helped me all my life. You've no idea how many problems I had with me own temper..." He jumped in the saddle and patted his horse's neck, then turned to Barkvin: "Agreed. Though I'm thinkin' we're gonna need to do bit more than just ask Hopper, may take some effort to get him to pick up the scent.. Treats a good idea, though. I'll leave the convincin' to you two, I aint all that good with animals, though I did want a dog, myself."

After departing:

The ride after that wasnt anything special. With the Shadow having devoured anything large enough to warrant its attention - which meant it was fast enough to do so - there wasnt much left to threaten them. Hopper's behavior worried him, but Murdain assumed that the reason for that was the creature's scent left throughout the area - whether it was droppings or something akin to saliva left on its kills. May also have been some manner of psionic imprint, but he wasnt entirely certain. He'd briefly considered it was the spawn of the creature being found by the dog, but discarded the idea - they'd have been attacked by now. The Skorn? The Skorn had no need to follow them this closely, when one of them was possibly marked and they could simply follow the jar's progress. In his free time, he'd tried to consider how to reconcile the group, and began on an analysis of what started this to begin with. Aaliyah was worried about safety of the group and was upset they thought her stupid. She'd also dropped the bomb about 'I was told not to trust you' so there had to be external influence not of the most benign kind. Being wary was one thing, but after going through this many combats together, it was simply unintelligent. Someone who gave that advice was either malicious or was acting illogically - people acted illogically when strong emotions like love and hate were involved, so more than likely, some well-wisher who liked Aaliyah or hated others around her.

As for Souris, he'd agreed with much of what she said, except the tableflip. Both parties were hurt, but Aaliyah seemed not to understand why her idea wasnt accepted as fact; she'd grown up closer to animals than people, he recalled, so it may have simply been unfamiliar to her. Respect, he concluded, was the issue. Respect for an animal was very different than for a person. With an animal, it was physical boundaries, but with a person, you had to pay attention to emotional and ideological ones. In essence, Aaliyah couldnt understand why her concern for their safety was thrown aside, because that entailed her respect for their opinion and ideology, which she didnt understand. 'I want to protect you but I'm right so you should agree' - that was how it came across. It didnt help each member of the group had very different ideology and background. Ved was a soldier, Barkvin came from ships somewhere and was a newly ordained priest, Souris was brought up by her grandmother? and a Gardener, Aaliyah wasnt used to society and people, and Murdain himself... The dwarf shivered slightly. He probably fit here least of them all.

Ved seemed to be setting up camp at the place he'd met Barkvin on the road for the first time; Murdain pulled at Glutton's reigns and paused, glancing at the others. "Aint good to keep separate for too long, or iffen we get attacked... An' keeping large distance aint gonna help us mend this any faster, but..." He shifted his gaze to Souris: "I dont like crowding others, makes me feel like I'm imposin' on them. Lets set up a short distance away, close enough fer em to know and hear - within runnin' start if things go sour." Ideally, they'd clear this mess up before facing the Shadow.

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action: 
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

nopeys-norman-de-mesa-princessmononoke6merged2lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww-1a2e02d985d446276169df.jpg.aeb1341eb5e0b968dfd7a6a1b397e93c.jpg.7c8c458478db60f031f2b03f174f5630.jpgName: Souris Garou | Class: Druid 5 | AC: 16 | HP: 45/45 | Prof: +3 | PP: 17 

SavesStr -1 / Dex +2 / Con +1 / Int +4 / Wis +7 / Cha +0 | AttacksShillelagh | +7 | 1d8+4 ;Bludgeoning | CantripsGuidance, Shillelagh, Shape Water | Magic Items2x Healing Potions | Wildshape:CR: 1
No Flying Speed
Duration: 2hrs

▣ ▣

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack: +7 | Level 1Detect Magic, Faerie Fire, Goodberry, Healing Word, Ice Knife ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣  | Level 2Detect Thoughts (1/day per feat).
Moonbeam, Pass without Trace, Summon Beast
 ▣ ▣ ▣ | 
 Level 3Plant Growth ▣ ▣ | LuckWhen failing any D20 check, you may spend one luck die to reroll the result. This decision is made after the roll but before the results are known. You must declare the use of this dice in your post. These die refresh during a long rest.  ▣ ▣

She shook her head. Crowding people was bad, but the camp they'd found before was plenty big to allow them to space out well enough. Dismounting she handed her reigns to Murdain. "Go setup camp with them, I'm going to try to find some small game for dinner."...Then she cast a quick spell before heading out in search of game.

While she preferred to be a wolf on most occasions, they were not as quick as a cat, and quickness was what she needed to catch some food.

Dice Ex Machina

Name
survival
1d20+7 5
guidance
1d4 3

https://www.myth-weavers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107520&stc=1&d=1667330676Name Barkvin | Class Cleric 5 | AC: 19 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (1/1)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life | Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (5/5) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (3/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (3/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS save), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6)

Level 3 | (2/2)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute), Revivify

The half orc dismounts and cares for Ernie brushing him and penning him near some tall grass. As Souris gets ready to leave he speaks up to both of them. "Argh, can you give me some guidance on working with Hopper. I ain't had much experience with dogs. If you can help get him to pick up the scent that would be useful." Barkvin will work with Hopper for a little bit trying to get the dog to pick up the scent.

After Souris leaves he speaks to Murdain. "Aye, before we go and walk into their camp perhaps you should go and talk with them first. Find out if they want us to travel with them or not. If this is just a flare of tempers and all is forgiven, I'm fine with that, but if they don't want us around anymore I would like to know that before we barge into their camp. I just don't feel right imposing on them, and I really don't want to end up in a situation where we are at each others throats the whole time. I don't want to travel with someone thats goning to stab me in the back. Some folks find me a bit annoying and I would rather know that up front."

Mechanics

Reaction:  none

Move: none

Action: tries to get Hopper to pick up the scent

Bonus Action: none

OOC: Would like help from Murdain and guidance from Souris before I work with Hopper to pick up the scent.

Name
animal handling
1d20+4 19
advantage from Murdains help
1d20+4 18

image.png.0d2bf1c6a4777346ef39bc7c9b9df1f0.png

Name Aaliyah | Class Warlock/Sorc | Level: 3/2 | AC: 17| HP: 43/43 | Prof: +2 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 13 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Hex Curse: [o] Attacks: Leaf | +8 | 1d8+5 slash - EB | +7 | 1d10 Forcex2

CantripsEldritch Blast, Mold Earth, Shape Water, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Message       Spells Known (6)1: Hex, Shield, Disguise Self, Absorb Elements, Speak with Animals
2: Misty Step, Mirror Image, Shatter
:

Magic Items: Healing Potion [o][o][o]

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 Sorc Points: 2/2

Spells (Sorc lvl1) [o][o][o] (War lvl2) [o][o]  

"Its a good thing someone was smart enough to buy supplies!" She dumps some of the hard tack into a bite of water to loosen it up and then handed Ved a dried apple and a bit if fish jerky. "Eat up! When you're done, will you... fight me? I got this shield now but I never used one so I want to practice it!"

nopeys-norman-de-mesa-princessmononoke6merged2lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww-1a2e02d985d446276169df.jpg.aeb1341eb5e0b968dfd7a6a1b397e93c.jpg.7c8c458478db60f031f2b03f174f5630.jpgName: Souris Garou | Class: Druid 5 | AC: 16 | HP: 45/45 | Prof: +3 | PP: 17 

SavesStr -1 / Dex +2 / Con +1 / Int +4 / Wis +7 / Cha +0 | AttacksShillelagh | +7 | 1d8+4 ;Bludgeoning | CantripsGuidance, Shillelagh, Shape Water | Magic Items2x Healing Potions | Wildshape:CR: 1
No Flying Speed

▣ ▣

Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack: +7 | Level 1Detect Magic, Faerie Fire, Goodberry, Healing Word, Ice Knife ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣  | Level 2Detect Thoughts (1/day per feat).
 ▣ ▣ ▣ | 
 Level 3Plant Growth ▣ ▣ | LuckWhen failing any D20 check, you may spend one luck die to reroll the result. This decision is made after the roll but before the results are known. You must declare the use of this dice in your post. These die refresh during a long rest.  ▣ ▣

It didn't take long to hunt down a few rabbits, they were quick but not quick enough, besides there was something therapeutic about chasing down prey and pouncing on it, crushing its neck in your jaws as it kicked its feet until dead. Probably not something she should share with most civilized folk. They probably wouldn't understand the sheer predatory urge.

Striding back to camp she had a single fat rabbit, she'd caught a second but it was carried off by a scavenger as she continued her hunt, and soon realized that unless she wanted to hunt like a human that was going to be a continuous problem. So she decided to supplement with some mushrooms and berries.

She didn't ask permission, simply lay out her shield as if it was a table and began taking out her cooking utensils and herbalist kit, before getting down to prepping the rabbit. They'd already been gutted, she didn't like doing that at camp as it attracted scavengers, though she had made a point to keep the heart and liver. "I'm making stew."

Dice Ex Machina

Screenshot-20221031-063129.png.e20281c2da35b0e6c02db914a986139f.pngName: Ved Kith (AKA Kirit)  |  Class: Fighter 5 

Rapier +5 1d8+3
 | Saves Str +3 | Dex +3 | Con +4 | Wis +1 | Int -1 | Cha +0; | Maneuvers Precision attack | Menacing attack | Trip attack | Parry | Riposte | DC 13;

Ved frowns. "That's... a good idea actually." He stands and draws one sword. "I've not used a shield in a long time." He taps the other hilt. "But I know how. I used to drill the new recruits with it." He leans across, adjusts the strap and shows her how to hold it.

"Ready? I'll attack, you block, and then you counter. Always counter. If you make them miss, there's an opening. Don't let them try again without making them hurt, or at least making them move. Let's go."

When the others arrive, he gives a nod, but doesn't let up his attacks. The less time they had to talk together, the better.

Edited by Knave (see edit history)

https://www.myth-weavers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107520&stc=1&d=1667330676Name Barkvin | Class Cleric 5 | AC: 19 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | PP: 13 | Saves: Str +3 / Dex +2 / Con +3 / Int +1 / Wis +8 / Cha +3 | Luck: (2/2) | Channel Divinity: (1/1)

Special Abilities darkvision, Warcaster, Disciple of Life, Turn Undead, Preserve Life | Attacks: Mace | +5 | 1d6+2 bludgeoning, Light Crossbow | +4 | 1d8+1 piercing (80/320)

Prepared Spells | Spell DC: 15 | Spell Attack +7 | Hit Dice d8 (5/5) | Death Saves: 0/0

Cantrips: Light, Spare the Dying, Sacred Flame (2d8 radiant DEX save), Word of Radiance (2d6 radiant CON save)

Level 1 | (3/4) | Bless C (+d4), Cure Wounds (1d8+7 healing), Healing Word (1d4+7 healing), Inflict Wounds (3d10 necrotic)
Level 2 | (3/3)  | Hold Person C (WIS save), Zone of Truth, Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon (1d8+4 force), Prayer of Healing (2d8+8 x6)

Level 3 | (2/2)  | Beacon of Hope C, Mass Healing Word (1d4+9 x6), Daylight, Aura of Vitality C (2d6+5 for 1 minute), Revivify

Barkvin enjoyed working with Hopper. The old dog seemed to take to him and though it hated it when he gave it a sniff from the jar, it seemed to at least accept it as the scent. He walked the dog around some but it didn't seem to pick up the floating squids trail at all. That was a good sign. The creature hadn't been here for a long time. The questions was which way had the thing gone. Maybe north was the right direction, maybe not. As he was lost in his thoughts and playing with the hound, he is suddenly startled by the clanging of metal. Looking over he sees Aaliyah and Ved fighting. He first panics and it about to yell out, when he stops, and watches more closely. They weren't fighting at all, not really, they appear to be practicing. He sits down against a tree and pets the old dog. He can still hear the clanging, but at least it was a little way off. The half orc wasn't ready to join the others yet. He still felt betrayed, abandoned.

Mechanics

Reaction:  none

Move: sits by a tree

Action: none

Bonus Action: none

OOC: Stays at the remote camp with the dog and the horses.

Name Aaliyah | Class Warlock/Sorc | Level: 3/2 | AC: 17| HP: 43/43 | Prof: +2 Stats: Str 8 / Dex 14 / Con 13 / Int 12 / Wis 10 / Cha 18
Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Hex Curse: [o] Attacks: Leaf | +8 | 1d6+5 slash - EB | +7 | 1d10 Forcex2

CantripsEldritch Blast, Mold Earth, Shape Water, Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Message       Spells Known (6)1: Hex, Shield, Disguise Self, Absorb Elements, Speak with Animals
:

"Block, block, stab," she echoed, nodding her understanding before immediately thrusting with her spear. It was so short now and she couldn't put as much weight behind it. Ved gets a playful wink as her defensive practice became offensive right away then she settled back to actually listen and focus on blocking his attacks. "It's harder to fight with the spear when it's this short but it's too heavy to use just one hand when it's long..."

Then Souris walks into the camp and she breaks away from their practice skirmish and walks directly at her. About halfway, she thrusts her her spear into the ground and then continues towards her. When she gets close, she pauses, a stern look on her face, then throws her arms around her and wraps her into a tight hug. "I'm glad you're still alive and not a zombie or driven mad or possessed or something."

No Flying Speed

▣ ▣

▣ ▣ ▣ | 

Walking into camp she tried to be passive, walk in, make food, not engage, but Aaliyah made a bee line for her and she winced. With her arms full there was no way to defend herself, and she stiffened, bracing for the smack or shout, but neither came. Instead arms wrapped around her. What could she do? She wasn't used to this sort of contact when not in a beast form, and so she considered what she would do if she was hugged tightly as an animal. "Are you so sure?" She said with a grin and then chomped the green haired girl on the shoulder.

Dice Ex Machina

Class: Psion 5 | AC: 14 | HP: 50/50 | Prof: +3 | Init: +3 | PP: 16 | Speed: 30ft

ConditionsPsionic Empowerment |0/3 0/35/5d8 HD| image.png.a82f23fe2d47028594124051b651afdc.png 2/2 LR| image.png.708944f243459fdd52c280f6b499426c.png 3/4 SR|image.png.c62acd6d65df4d9d52e101b519ead606.png 1/1 LR|💼 InventoryA crowbar
A belt pouch
Cloak of Elvenkind,
Thieves' tools,
Woodcarver tools,
1x dagger(focus)
and a waterskin.
Harmonica
Ball bearing bag 1gp
Chalk/coal 1cp
Flasks x 5 10cp
Insect Repellant 1sp
Oil Flask x5 5sp(1 used)
Parchment x5 5sp
Net x3 3gp
Scroll Case 1gp
7 gp, 25sp, 7cp
Potion of Ghost Form x1
Studded Leather Armor x1

Murdain helped Barkvin with Hopper, but it was too early to try and pick up the trail - though not early enough to get him to respond to them and to not jump away from the jar. Of course, the dog knew there was something unnatural there - the Shadow wasnt from its home plane, after all - but eventually, repeated efforts should have borne fruit. When Souris encouraged him to go speak with the others, he nodded. Barkvin's own hesitation, though, made him frown. Stabbed in the back by Aaliyah? That wasnt a worry the cleric should have had in the physical sense, at least. Her worry was genuine, even if she expressed it in a way most would find offensive. Annoying? Hardly. There were times when he'd been taken aback by the half-orc's actions, but it wasnt ever in that sense. "I doubt it." He shrugged, but walked towards Ved and Aaliyah, who were sparring. He did not interrupt, taking a seat on the nearby stump and taking out a knife to clean a branch of leaves and bark, working on a walking stick. Souris coming back and Aaliyah running past to hug her made him put the stick down and sheathe the knife, then slowly walk towards the two. Reconciliation would be good, but he doubted that was happening until Aaliyah understood what she did.

"It was feces. Or rotten flesh." Was all the dwarf said. No point keeping it a secret or else there'd be more problems down the line. Souris seemed decently relaxed, so he mentally sighed. Maybe it would work out after all. But she still needed to understand.

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action: 
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

Edited by Diofant (see edit history)

@Knave @Diofant @WolfBirch @TheGospel @Rumrunner 

Hopper's hair suddenly goes up again and he begins snarling at a nearby tree, even backing away to hide behind Barkvin as he starts barking at... nothing. There's nothing there. From entirely the other direction comes a loud howl, then another and another. You count four in total and the howls cut off and turn into the sounds of wolves fighting, growling and snarling. It's not that far away - perhaps a hundred yards at most but this is the most wooded area on the road so you don't have line of sight. Then a wolf cries out, yelping in pain and panic.

These don't sound like wolves though. They're much bigger...

Rapier +5 1d8+3

Ved tries not to sweat or breathe too heavily as Aaliyah puts him through his paces. Never let the troops see you struggle. But the girl was a fast learner, no doubt about that. As she turns away to greet the latecomers, he takes the opportunity to lean against a tree. Too long off the trail, too long in town, and the booze was taking its toll. He'd have to be careful or he'd end up like Old Ved. That thought brought him up short - it was a new one.

Then the howling begins. "Form up! Face the enemy. They'll try to outflank us, so don't spread out too much."

Special Abilities: Luck: [o][o] Hex Curse: [o] Attacks: Leaf | +8 | 1d6+5 slash - EB | +7 | 1d10 Forcex2

:

"What? Hey!" She giggles when Souris suddenly bites her. Then the howling starts. "Blood and bloody piss," she exclaims, quickly turning to Ved and asking, "did I say it right? I never curse."

"Oh no, they aren't coming for us. They're fighting something else. What attacks giant wolves? You think?" She doesn't wait to find out and starts into the woods, snatching her shield up as she runs. Her journey is cautious though and she tries to pay close attention to her surroundings.

Name
Perception
1d20 18

A belt pouch
Cloak of Elvenkind,
Thieves' tools,
Woodcarver tools,
1x dagger(focus)
and a waterskin.
Harmonica
Ball bearing bag 1gp
Chalk/coal 1cp
Flasks x 5 10cp
Insect Repellant 1sp
Oil Flask x5 5sp(1 used)
Parchment x5 5sp
Net x3 3gp
Scroll Case 1gp
7 gp, 25sp, 7cp
Potion of Ghost Form x1
Studded Leather Armor x1

"These sound too large to be wolves." Growled Murdain. Dire wolves? He glanced at Souris. Maybe. Winterwolves wouldnt be this far south, even if there were more than the druid's old friend. "They aint headed to us, but we oughta take a look. Hopper's goin' nuts, maybe its the Shadow they're fightin'." The dwarf unsheathed his old dagger and sprinted after Aaliyah. "We've got lotta casters, spread firin' line might work, really, soften' em up." He threw to Ved. "Then we close distance after a volley."

OOC/Mechanics

Action:
Bonus Action: 
Free Action: 
Move: 
Reaction:
OOC: 

Name
Perception(Hopper's Tree)
1d20+6 5