The Tomb

hoverfrog

2 hours ago, VennDygrem said:

If anyone has a flask of oil, tossing it on the rat swarm wouldn't be the worst idea (after it moves away from your only real exit, that is).

No oil for Razvan, I suppose having darkvision lead to eschewing the usual lanterns and oil and such. He does have torches as part of a standard Adventurer's Pack, but it would likely take a full Round or more to drop both weapons; get the torches and F&S from my pack; light them; and use them.

@hoverfrog  how high are the floors? Razvan has the Cat Fall feat. He is only Trained in Acrobatics, but this feat allows him to treat falls as 10' shorter. The wording is:

When you fall more than 5 feet, you take bludgeoning damage equal to half the distance you fell when you land. [...] If you take any damage from a fall, you land prone. You fall about 500 feet in the first round of falling and about 1,500 feet each round thereafter.

So if the floors are 10'-15' high, presumably Razvan would take no fall damage and would land on his feet. So that, even if Cyntheria & Mud can't destroy the swarm (and they're closest), could Razvan:

• stride to the opening
  • drop
  • stride (so at least to interpose himself between Krott/Danior and the Master?

presumably the swarm is ... on the ladder or about it ... point being that Razvan wouldn't need to actually climb down the ladder covered with rats.

56 minutes ago, hoverfrog said:

@VennDygrem are we just waiting on you?

As Vedast mentioned, he also hasn't taken his action. I think we're trying to see if there's any legitimate way for Krott to not be facing/running from the vampire alone, especially since everyone else is now occupied by the rat swarm and we're split in two. Pretty soon we'll be split in three, and that's not great.

I think I've come up with my turn, though, after thinking of nearly every permutation I can put together. I think my best and only option is to just keep moving.
-edit-
I've also asked a follow-up question in the Discord server to determine which version of my plan I go with.

Edited by VennDygrem (see edit history)

And, of course, feedback as to the effect of Razvan's AoO as the Master went gaseous form and left the square both he and Demetrius threatened.

Demetrius too, has a turn, I believe. I guess the question would be whether he might follow Razvan's plan (if it would work) of Cat Fall down or whether he takes on the Swarm. Razvan's priority is to try to give the Master something else to deal with or spend Actions upon whilst Krott makes off with Danior.

On 1/30/2024 at 3:01 AM, Vedast said:

@hoverfrog  how high are the floors? Razvan has the Cat Fall feat. He is only Trained in Acrobatics, but this feat allows him to treat falls as 10' shorter. The wording is:

When you fall more than 5 feet, you take bludgeoning damage equal to half the distance you fell when you land. [...] If you take any damage from a fall, you land prone. You fall about 500 feet in the first round of falling and about 1,500 feet each round thereafter.

So if the floors are 10'-15' high, presumably Razvan would take no fall damage and would land on his feet. So that, even if Cyntheria & Mud can't destroy the swarm (and they're closest), could Razvan:

• stride to the opening
  • drop
  • stride (so at least to interpose himself between Krott/Danior and the Master?

presumably the swarm is ... on the ladder or about it ... point being that Razvan wouldn't need to actually climb down the ladder covered with rats.

The floors are quite low, only about 8 feet from floor to ceiling. The floor is about a foot wide so falling from one floor to the one below is nine feet.

The swarm is emerging from the top of the steps so you'd have to pass through the swarm to drop down the ladder.

The bat swarm is on the way.

On 2/6/2024 at 6:59 PM, Vedast said:

And, of course, feedback as to the effect of Razvan's AoO as the Master went gaseous form and left the square both he and Demetrius threatened.

Demetrius too, has a turn, I believe. I guess the question would be whether he might follow Razvan's plan (if it would work) of Cat Fall down or whether he takes on the Swarm. Razvan's priority is to try to give the Master something else to deal with or spend Actions upon whilst Krott makes off with Danior.

Yes you get an AoO, as does Demetrius. In addition the gaseous form loses all damage reduction.

39 minutes ago, hoverfrog said:

The swarm is emerging from the top of the steps so you'd have to pass through the swarm to drop down the ladder.

Sigh.

I'll post ahead of Demetrius ... maybe Razvan can clear the swarm to allow Demetrius to get down on his turn (this round).

PS One can move through a friendly player's square (p. 474) I believe? So if Razvan moves to I6 (Cyntheria is now in H6), Demetrius could still access the ladder if we can eliminate the swarm? I know I'm planning ahead of the facts (rolls), but just trying to convey my thinking/intentions.

Maybe just as well ... my attack roll(s) would have given the Master a good laugh, but they might have hit the rat swarm.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

Well, figured the Domination ability was going to kick in ... good luck Krott!

I'm not sure about the map to the 5th floor, but would it be ok @hoverfrog to have Razvan's In Character post articulate a "haul a$$" to get to Krott and the Master and then leave it to you to clarify how far he gets? If he can use Cat Fall to drop down vs. taking more time/movement to climb down the ladders, he'll do so.

@hoverfrog  Mechanical question re: Rat Swarm.

I see from your notes:

DEAD: 4 from Sal, 4 from Razvan, 20 from Demetrius

Resistances physical 6 (except bludgeoning); Weaknesses area damage 3, splash damage 3

Razvan's Double Slice attack did 14 damage which, due to the Feat, is the combined 10+4 from the two attacks. Resistance should only apply once, to the combined damage. So (10+4)-6 = 8. Not: (10-6) + (4-6 => 0) = 4. I think it should be net 8, not 4.

PS not trying to make a big issue of 4 hps of damage: but the Double Slice Feat is foundational to the melee tactics of the character, so being on the same page here regarding how this Feat applies seems critical.

Double Slice[two-actions]Feat 1

Fighter 
Source Core Rulebook pg. 144 4.0
Requirements You are wielding two melee weapons, each in a different hand.

You lash out at your foe with both weapons. Make two Strikes, one with each of your two melee weapons, each using your current multiple attack penalty. Both Strikes must have the same target. If the second Strike is made with a weapon that doesn't have the agile trait, it takes a –2 penalty.

If both attacks hit, combine their damage, and then add any other applicable effects from both weapons. You add any precision damage only once, to the attack of your choice. Combine the damage from both Strikes and apply resistances and weaknesses only once. This counts as two attacks when calculating your multiple attack penalty.

On 2/13/2024 at 3:57 PM, Vedast said:

would it be ok @hoverfrog to have Razvan's In Character post articulate a "haul a$$" to get to Krott and the Master and then leave it to you to clarify how far he gets? If he can use Cat Fall to drop down vs. taking more time/movement to climb down the ladders, he'll do so.

Of course.

On 2/13/2024 at 5:13 PM, Vedast said:

Razvan's Double Slice attack did 14 damage which, due to the Feat, is the combined 10+4 from the two attacks. Resistance should only apply once, to the combined damage.

It never hurts to point these things out. I appreciate it.

@hoverfrog

As I understand it, the Ready Action only refers to an Action that is held for out-of-turn use as a reaction (not "your" reaction). It doesn't specify a Target unless, I suppose, the Target is specified in the Trigger.

My point being that whilst Razvan is threatening to attack/slay Danior in hopes of ... something ... he's not committed to Targeting Danior and, depending on what Demetrius does/accomplishes, and what the Master does vis-a-vis the Trigger, might well Target the Master.

I held off on posting a roll or rolls to await developments.

===========

Ready[two-actions]

Concentrate 
Source Core Rulebook pg. 470 4.0

You prepare to use an action that will occur outside your turn. Choose a single action or free action you can use, and designate a trigger. Your turn then ends. If the trigger you designated occurs before the start of your next turn, you can use the chosen action as a reaction (provided you still meet the requirements to use it). You can’t Ready a free action that already has a trigger.

If you have a multiple attack penalty and your readied action is an attack action, your readied attack takes the multiple attack penalty you had at the time you used Ready. This is one of the few times the multiple attack penalty applies when it’s not your turn.

So basically the ready action says that you'll perform a single action when or if an event occurs. i.e Ready an action to shoot the first enemy who comes round the corner. There's nothing wrong with having a complex or convoluted trigger.