The Tomb

hoverfrog

Ok, besides all of that...

@hoverfrog Is the boy still counted as unwilling, e.g. I have to keep rolling athletics to hold onto him, or can I just carry him at this point without spending extra actions? That will likely determine what I can do with my turn.

With 1 action to grapple, 1 to open the door, and 1 to move, I'd basically just be walking into the swarm to get freely nipped-at and infected. With at least 2 actions, it would put me just a bit farther.

As far as I can tell, Magic Weapon and Runic Weapon (Remaster) are essentially the same effect: makes the weapon +1 Striking for 1 min.

Putting this down here to remind me when Razvan's turn comes around again ... assuming he's still in action by that point.

On 1/24/2024 at 6:06 PM, VennDygrem said:

Ok, besides all of that...

@hoverfrog Is the boy still counted as unwilling, e.g. I have to keep rolling athletics to hold onto him, or can I just carry him at this point without spending extra actions? That will likely determine what I can do with my turn.

With 1 action to grapple, 1 to open the door, and 1 to move, I'd basically just be walking into the swarm to get freely nipped-at and infected. With at least 2 actions, it would put me just a bit farther.

He's a dead weight. Not unresisting but certainly not helping either. I haven't looked up your carrying capacity but how easy is it for you to carry someone weighing about 60 pounds, about 6 bulk? Now you've got him, you don't need to use actions to keep hold of him (unless you do something that needs hands).

On 1/22/2024 at 4:45 PM, Vedast said:

@hoverfrog

Since the Master took a Stride Action, should not Razvan get an Attack of Opportunity (or Reactive Strike a la Remaster)?

I can get a bit lost on Block Initiative, so let me ask:

• could Razvan move 'first' (probably needing two moves) to set up a flank for Demetrius based on the latest positioning.
  • specifically, Razvan Strides to D4(5) => E3(15) => F2(20) => G2(25'). Then Step to H3. Take one Strike.
  • Demetrius could then Stride to D5(5) => D4(10) => E3(20) => F3(25'). He could then Strike x2 with a flank bonus from Razvan.

Could we coordinate that way?

PS Maybe we could get Loreli NPC'd to help deal with the rats from below?

Did I not put that in the post? Yes, you do get a reactive strike.

You have to take all your actions together unless you use two actions to Ready an Action. You could Stride to H3 (two actions) which would provide flanking for someone at F3 and then Strike but Demetrius goes first so he'd have to Stride and Strike before you arrived or Stride, and Ready an Action to Strike after you arrive. However that's quite a strict interpretation of the rules and we are using block initiative so yeah, go for it.

3 minutes ago, hoverfrog said:

Did I not put that in the post? Yes, you do get a reactive strike.

You have to take all your actions together unless you use two actions to Ready an Action. You could Stride to H3 (two actions) which would provide flanking for someone at F3 and then Strike but Demetrius goes first so he'd have to Stride and Strike before you arrived or Stride, and Ready an Action to Strike after you arrive. However that's quite a strict interpretation of the rules and we are using block initiative so yeah, go for it.

1. Yes, I think we're leap-frogging posts. I asked about the RS; you did answer (in Discord I think), so I then had Razvan take that RS in character.

2. If you'd rather we stick closer to initiative order; I can excise Razvan's three Actions and wait for Demetrius. Some GMs let Block Initiative more or less just go free form with whomever can post first does. I can work either way -- just need to know your preference so don't have to either wait without need or to avoid jumping ahead.

Just now, Vedast said:

1. Yes, I think we're leap-frogging posts. I asked about the RS; you did answer (in Discord I think), so I then had Razvan take that RS in character.

2. If you'd rather we stick closer to initiative order; I can excise Razvan's three Actions and wait for Demetrius. Some GMs let Block Initiative more or less just go free form with whomever can post first does. I can work either way -- just need to know your preference so don't have to either wait without need or to avoid jumping ahead.

Honestly, I'm fine with it. Games go slow enough on PbP without being strict about turn order.

Just now, hoverfrog said:

Honestly, I'm fine with it. Games go slow enough on PbP without being strict about turn order.

Fair enough then.

I think Razvan's RS did land, albeit to what actual effect ... who knows. As per my OOC and IC musing, Razvan's goal is to set up Demetrius who I think is our best bet here. Thanks to Sal's magic weapon spell, if Razvan can land the short sword, he might be able to get in enough damage to be significant even with resistance. But between resistance and fast-healing, we have a tough time with DPR to be effective.

That's why I've been advocating the "take the boy and run."

38 minutes ago, hoverfrog said:

He's a dead weight. Not unresisting but certainly not helping either. I haven't looked up your carrying capacity but how easy is it for you to carry someone weighing about 60 pounds, about 6 bulk? Now you've got him, you don't need to use actions to keep hold of him (unless you do something that needs hands).

A full-sized medium creature is 6 bulk, but he was described as a child, which is surely lighter bulk than an adult, no? Usually children are a size smaller, so I'd think 3 or 4 bulk max. My encumberance is 9 bulk, and I'm currently carrying 4 bulk in armor and items. 3-4 keeps me under the limit, but a full 6 means I'll be encumbered. Which is dangerous on its own, but if we need to drag him along, no one else is doing it better. Well, I suppose Cyntheria is less encumbered so she could, but that's a whole other issue.

Also, the text after I scooped up the boy literally said "Krott scoops up the child who slips from his grasp. He is small and light and the mummy fails to appreciate how small he is" so I'd have assumed not an encumbrance problem.

Edited by VennDygrem (see edit history)

IF this helps (bulk size of creatures):

https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=192

Small creature is bulk = 3.

This table is certainly not entirely consistent with "estimating an item's bulk" where the 5-10# per bulk is cited, but perhaps this is merely a game device to regulate the carrying of 'objects' without being too restrictive on carrying a fallen comrade.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

To speed things up, I posted my actions, hoping I can just open the hatch and move, whether it's at full speed or encumbered speed. We're not jumping from the top level of the tower, and there's not really enough time to tie a rope and climb down. Besides, climbing down while bats swarm us and then the vampire just cuts the rope anyway doesn't seem the best move.

1 hour ago, VennDygrem said:

A full-sized medium creature is 6 bulk, but he was described as a child, which is surely lighter bulk than an adult, no? Usually children are a size smaller, so I'd think 3 or 4 bulk max. My encumberance is 9 bulk, and I'm currently carrying 4 bulk in armor and items. 3-4 keeps me under the limit, but a full 6 means I'll be encumbered. Which is dangerous on its own, but if we need to drag him along, no one else is doing it better. Well, I suppose Cyntheria is less encumbered so she could, but that's a whole other issue.

Also, the text after I scooped up the boy literally said "Krott scoops up the child who slips from his grasp. He is small and light and the mummy fails to appreciate how small he is" so I'd have assumed not an encumbrance problem.

I'm glad you looked that up. I found something that said that 10lbs was 1 bulk and went from there. Half the bulk of an adult seems fair.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm tempted to play 'SWAT team at the wrong address:'

Oh, so sorry Mr. Vampire. We had a warrant, but it seems we were deployed to the wrong address. Pray, continue with what you're doing. Here's a number to contact with any concerns: qualified immunity and all that.

@Starhawk Despite rolling minimum damage, you still deal more damage against the rat swarm than a typical individual enemy, since they have weakness to both area damage and splash damage. It should also take the persistent damage, until it saves to remove it. So, at minimum you're still dealing at least 6 damage to the swarm in total.
If anyone has a flask of oil, tossing it on the rat swarm wouldn't be the worst idea (after it moves away from your only real exit, that is).

As for Krott... I've basically got 2 options: Move and climb down the ladder, taking all 3 actions to get, I believe, to the bottom (it's got to be ~10 feet, given the Vampire could take gaseous form, move to the next floor, and resume normal form in one turn), but then I'm only at the bottom. Next turn will be more difficult to evade the vampire, since the ladders keep switching to different sides of the rooms.

Option 2: Jump, taking falling damage and winding up prone. Should be able to get up from prone, but that likely means dropping the kid, too. So I wind up spending more actions picking him and myself up. Vampire still has to spend his next round chasing me, but after that he can likely catch up. So I'll have taken 5 falling damage and then still be susceptible to his attacks or powers.

In 1e, I'd at least be able to soften fall damage by making an acrobatics check combined with a deliberate jump, but that isn't an option in 2e without taking the Cat Fall skill feat... which I do not have. Then again, I never expected to be in this exact predicament. 😅

Edited by VennDygrem (see edit history)