The man nods his head some as he considers. He then stands up straight before bowing. "You have been honest, if evasive. I understand and even appreciate that. To a point. I am Heuberk. And, if you were to bring me those notes, not only would Fadelby be able to return to his life as a wainwright, I would feel comfortable enough with you to make you an offer to work for my associates." He raises his finger to enforce his point. "It is important to Fadelby that I get those notes tonight. Before the sun rises." You have just enough time to do that, you know, if you wish to.

Status

Visibility:
Terrain:
Cover:

Kuz'Arak 98/98 HP 2/3 AP;
Bul'Ro 96/96 HP;
Drasil 102/102 HP 3/3 AP;
Kyros 123/123 HP 3/3 AP; Darkvision, Low-Light Vision; Resist Fire 10
Garion 99/89 HP 3/3 AP; False Life
Braz'i 96/96 HP 3/3 AP;

spacer.pngspacer.png

Kuz'Arak has stoically stood as Garion stepped out of the sphere and engaged the man in conversation. He feels a bit embarrassed as he so confidently had strode into the room to take the measure of the person who summoned the bravos, only to flounder as he couldn't get a good read on them ans intentions. He continues to watch the mans hands and study his posture, hoping to get a better read on him.

Sense motive: Does the man seem that he is actually willing to kill the owner of the shop?

Sense motive

Finally he speaks up as the man begins to divulge a bit of information. "Apologies, we may have gotten off on the wrong foot from your line of questioning. You see, Voz was a misfortunate development in town. Her intentions may not have been purely evil.... But she did make enemies of us in the end. And it is apparent that you are aware of our dealings with the woman, since you so rightly thought that the mention of her might put us on edge. But now that we have a bit more understanding of each other, we can work past this I think.... Firstly, What are your intentions with Voz's notes? You keep suggesting that we might work for you, and yet you have shown us very little of what that job might be. We aren't just a simple mercenary band for hire here. We'll go and get the notes this instant if the job is worth the while for us to get involved in."

Actions

Kuz'Arak

Bul'Ro

Remaining Vital Beacon

4d10

4d8

4d6

4d4

Kuz'Arak |Lizardfolk Druid 9 | AC 27 (29) | HP 98 | Per +17|Speed 25 | Fort: 15 Ref: 17 Will: 17

Bul’Ro | animal companion 9 | AC 27 | HP 96 | Per +16 | Speed 40 | Fort: 17 Ref: 19 Will: 16

Edited by Nwise (see edit history)
Name
Sense motive
1d20+17 19

"Yes. Kuz'Arak understands. My line of questioning could have led to poor ends for myself. "

"I intend to pass the information along to some of my associates. I am not a scholar and I'm sure that I would personally have no use for them."

"Until you bring me those notes, there is no offer to elaborate upon."

Status

Visibility:
Terrain:
Cover:

Bul'Ro 96/96 HP;
Braz'i 96/96 HP 3/3 AP;

ao2ycQx.jpg?1

Braz'i remained silent in the sphere and studied the main closely. What sort of equipment was he carrying? What was his disposition? Was there anything odd about the man that gave away anything about his intent or capabilities?

OOC

During the conversation that feels like sufficien ttime for a few perception and RK checks?

He'll also ready 2 actions to cast Dirge of Doom as a reaction should we be rolling initiative

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Reaction:

Stat Block

Braz'i the BeaterBard 9

N, Small, Halfling, Wildwood Halfling, Humanoid

Perception +16;
Languages Common, Halfling
Skills Acrobatics +15, Athletics +0, Diplomacy +19, Lore: Warfare +11, Medicine +14, Occultism +11, Performance +19, Stealth +15, Survival +14
Str +0, Dex +4, Con +1, Int +0, Wis +3, Cha +4
Items +1 Resilient Leather, Folding Drums, Mentalist's Staff, Pendant of the Occult, Backpack, Bedroll, Chalk (10), Flint and Steel, Rope, Rations (2), Torch (5), Waterskin, Soap, Spellbook (Blank), Healing Potion (Lesser), Darkvision Elixir (Moderate), Flask of Fellowship, Scroll of Object Reading, Scroll of Pocket Library, Scroll of Comprehend Language

AC 27; Fort +15, Ref +18, Will +19; Resolve
HP 96

Speed 30 feet
Melee +1 Fighting Stick +12 (Uncommon, Backswing, Halfling, Nonlethal, Shove, Magical), Damage 1d6 B
Ranged +1 Striking Shortbow +16 (Deadly d10, Magical), Damage 2d6 P
Halfling Luck action_free.png
Bon Mot action_single.png
Folding Drums action_single.png
Occult Known Spells DC 27, attack +17; 5th Synesthesia, Shadow Siphon (2 slots); 4th Silence (H+2), Resist Energy (H+2), Restoration (H+2) (3 slots); 3rd Slow ☆, Invisibility Sphere, Fear (H+2) (2/3 slots); 2nd Telekinetic Maneuver, Dispel Magic ☆, Hideous Laughter (3 slots); 1st Summon Fey, Phantom Pain, Schadenfreude, Soothe ☆ (3 slots); Cantrips Daze, Shield, Haunting Hymn, Telekinetic Projectile, Bullhorn
Focus Spells (3 points) Counter Performance action_reaction.pngArea 60-foot emanation Your performance protects you and your allies. Roll a Performance check for a type you know: an auditory performance if the trigger was auditory, or a visual one for a visual trigger. You and allies in the area can use the better result between your Performance check and the saving throw.
Inspire Courage action_single.pngArea 60-foot emanation Duration 1 round You inspire your allies with words or tunes of encouragement. You and all allies in the area gain a +1 status bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, and saves against fear effects.
Lingering Composition action_free.pngYou add a flourish to your composition to extend its benefits. If your next action is to cast a cantrip composition with a duration of 1 round, attempt a Performance check. The DC is usually a standard-difficulty DC of a level equal to the highest-level target of your composition, but the GM can assign a different DC based on the circumstances. The effect depends on the result of your check. Critical Success The composition lasts 4 rounds. Success The composition lasts 3 rounds. Failure The composition lasts 1 round, but you don't spend the Focus Point for casting this spell.
Dirge of Doom action_single.pngArea 30-foot emanation Duration 1 round Foes within the area are frightened 1. They can't reduce their frightened value below 1 while they remain in the area.
Inspire Heroics action_free.pngYou call upon your muse to greatly increase the benefits you provide to your allies with your inspire courage or inspire defense composition. If your next action is to cast inspire courage or inspire defense, attempt a Performance check. The DC is usually a very hard DC of a level equal to that of the highest-level target of your composition, but the GM can assign a different DC based on the circumstances. The effect of your inspire courage or inspire defense composition depends on the result of your check. Critical Success The status bonus from your inspire courage or inspire defense increases to +3. Success The status bonus from inspire courage or inspire defense increases to +2. Failure Your inspire courage or inspire defense provides only its normal bonus of +1, but you don't spend the Focus Point for casting this spell.
Additional Feats Adopted Ancestry, Assurance, Battle Cry, Cat Fall, Dirge of Doom, Esoteric Polymath, Guiding Luck, Inspire Heroics, Lingering Composition, Multifarious Muse, Nimble Elf, Toughness, Versatile Performance, Virtuosic Performer, Wildwood Halfling
Additional Specials Adopted Ancestry (Elf), Assurance (Medicine), Great Fortitude, Keen Eyes, Multifarious Muse (Polymath), Muses (Maestro), Signature Spells

Name
perception to asses the man's intent
1d20+16 6
occultism to see if there is anything odd that he carries and what it might do
1d20+11 16
lore warfare to see what Braz'i might be able to assess about his combat abilities
1d20+11 10

He wears leather armor and carries a dagger and a well made mace. He has what you think is a spellbook. He did say he had Discern Lies. A set of manacles are on his belt.

There is obviously at least one someone in the room with Fadelby to make sure he behaves and to trip the trap if necessary. When combat starts, things have a greater than average chance to quickly go poorly for Fadelby.

Status

Visibility:
Terrain:
Cover:

Bul'Ro 96/96 HP;
Braz'i 96/96 HP 3/3 AP;

Edited by Dax Thura (see edit history)

spacer.png

Listening to the conversation, Garion nods slowly. "Ok ... Heuberk ... we're willing to consider your request and retrieve the notes." He quickly continues, "But since this entire meeting has essentially been a hostage negotiation, you'll forgive me if we require proof of life. We have only your word that Fadelby is alive and well behind that door." The gnome holds his hands up non-threateningly. "If you'll allow me to verify the situation, we'll be on our way to get those notes." Garion takes a step toward the back room.

Garion | Gnome Sorcerer 9 | AC 24 | HP 99/89 | Per +15 | F:+16, R:+16, W:+16 | Speed 25' | Focus 2/2 | Spells -/4/4/3/4/2

spacer.png

Drasil waits. tense like a coiled spring.

If he were alone he would move to kill the man, but he is with the Bravos, so he waits patiently. there is still an advantage in his presence not being known.

But as he waits, he seethes behind a salesman's smile.

Drasil | Elf Fighter 9 | AC 28(26 while raging with weapon)(27 without oversized weapon) | HP 114/114 +0 temp| Percep +15 (+17 init) | Speed 35' |

ao2ycQx.jpg?1

Braz'i saw the tension in Drasil and reached up and patted the mighty warrior gently on his hip. He admired the elf as a man of action. He found the elf intimidating and knew that when it was necessary he would act and ensure the Bravo's, and those they chose to help, would be at an advantage. But it wasn't necessarily comfortable standing alongside the elf as they were forced to wait.

OOC

He'll continue using 2 actions to cast Dirge of Doom as a reaction should we be rolling initiative

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Reaction:

Stat Block

Braz'i the BeaterBard 9

Perception +16;
Skills Acrobatics +15, Athletics +0, Diplomacy +19, Lore: Warfare +11, Medicine +14, Occultism +11, Performance +19, Stealth +15, Survival +14
Items +1 Resilient Leather, Folding Drums, Mentalist's Staff, Pendant of the Occult, Backpack, Bedroll, Chalk (10), Flint and Steel, Rope, Rations (2), Torch (5), Waterskin, Soap, Spellbook (Blank), Healing Potion (Lesser), Darkvision Elixir (Moderate), Flask of Fellowship, Scroll of Object Reading, Scroll of Pocket Library, Scroll of Comprehend Language

HP 96

Speed 30 feet
Melee +1 Fighting Stick +12 (Uncommon, Backswing, Halfling, Nonlethal, Shove, Magical), Damage 1d6 B
Occult Known Spells DC 27, attack +17; 5th Synesthesia, Shadow Siphon (2 slots); 4th Silence (H+2), Resist Energy (H+2), Restoration (H+2) (3 slots); 3rd Slow ☆, Invisibility Sphere, Fear (H+2) (2/3 slots); 2nd Telekinetic Maneuver, Dispel Magic ☆, Hideous Laughter (3 slots); 1st Summon Fey, Phantom Pain, Schadenfreude, Soothe ☆ (3 slots); Cantrips Daze, Shield, Haunting Hymn, Telekinetic Projectile, Bullhorn
Focus Spells (3 points) Counter Performance action_reaction.pngArea 60-foot emanation Your performance protects you and your allies. Roll a Performance check for a type you know: an auditory performance if the trigger was auditory, or a visual one for a visual trigger. You and allies in the area can use the better result between your Performance check and the saving throw.
Inspire Courage action_single.pngArea 60-foot emanation Duration 1 round You inspire your allies with words or tunes of encouragement. You and all allies in the area gain a +1 status bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, and saves against fear effects.
Lingering Composition action_free.pngYou add a flourish to your composition to extend its benefits. If your next action is to cast a cantrip composition with a duration of 1 round, attempt a Performance check. The DC is usually a standard-difficulty DC of a level equal to the highest-level target of your composition, but the GM can assign a different DC based on the circumstances. The effect depends on the result of your check. Critical Success The composition lasts 4 rounds. Success The composition lasts 3 rounds. Failure The composition lasts 1 round, but you don't spend the Focus Point for casting this spell.
Dirge of Doom action_single.pngArea 30-foot emanation Duration 1 round Foes within the area are frightened 1. They can't reduce their frightened value below 1 while they remain in the area.
Inspire Heroics action_free.pngYou call upon your muse to greatly increase the benefits you provide to your allies with your inspire courage or inspire defense composition. If your next action is to cast inspire courage or inspire defense, attempt a Performance check. The DC is usually a very hard DC of a level equal to that of the highest-level target of your composition, but the GM can assign a different DC based on the circumstances. The effect of your inspire courage or inspire defense composition depends on the result of your check. Critical Success The status bonus from your inspire courage or inspire defense increases to +3. Success The status bonus from inspire courage or inspire defense increases to +2. Failure Your inspire courage or inspire defense provides only its normal bonus of +1, but you don't spend the Focus Point for casting this spell.
Additional Feats Adopted Ancestry, Assurance, Battle Cry, Cat Fall, Dirge of Doom, Esoteric Polymath, Guiding Luck, Inspire Heroics, Lingering Composition, Multifarious Muse, Nimble Elf, Toughness, Versatile Performance, Virtuosic Performer, Wildwood Halfling
Additional Specials Adopted Ancestry (Elf), Assurance (Medicine), Great Fortitude, Keen Eyes, Multifarious Muse (Polymath), Muses (Maestro), Signature Spells

Garion takes only one step before Heuberk puts up a hand to stop him. "You are killing him." There is a moan of pain from within the room. "Your concern is touching though." He doesn't mean that. "However, in this matter, I must insist that you trust me. Bring those notes to me post haste and you will see that your faith has not been in vain."

Status

Visibility:
Terrain:
Cover:

Bul'Ro 96/96 HP;
Braz'i 96/96 HP 3/3 AP;

ao2ycQx.jpg?1

Braz'i frowned. The situation put the bravos in an awkward spot. He studied the man carefully to see if he spoke the truth or not.

OOC

He'll continue using 2 actions to cast Dirge of Doom as a reaction should we be rolling initiative

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Reaction:

Stat Block

Braz'i the BeaterBard 9

Perception +16;

HP 96

Speed 30 feet

Name
perception to see if the man lies
1d20+16 17

spacer.png

Garion raises an eyebrow at Heuberk's reaction. "To make sure I understand: You send us a threatening letter. You hold a hostage out of sight. And you're asking us to trust you?" Garion considers and corrects himself, "Sorry ... you insist that we trust you. Interesting approach..." Garion shakes his head and turns to Kuz'Arak, "I've heard enough. I'm ready to leave, find the others, and consider these ... demands. Shall we?" The gnome takes a step back.

Unless Kuz'Arak (or anyone else) does anything to suggest another course of action, Garion slowly backs toward the exit, keeping his eyes on Heuberk the entire time. When they get a reasonable distance (200'-300' from the shop), Garion motions the group into a random alley to discuss the situation.

Garion | Gnome Sorcerer 9 | AC 24 | HP 99/89 | Per +15 | F:+16, R:+16, W:+16 | Speed 25' | Focus 2/2 | Spells -/4/4/3/4/2

Edited by ScottGell (see edit history)

ao2ycQx.jpg?1

Braz'i motioned for the others to stay as Garion looked set to leave. Perhaps they ight learn something once the gnome had left.

OOC

Action 1:

Action 2:

Action 3:

Reaction:

Stat Block

Braz'i the BeaterBard 9

Perception +16;

HP 96

Speed 30 feet

spacer.pngspacer.png

Kuz'Arak shrugs dejectedly as Garion motions for the two of them to leave. He sees the man means business and knows he won't hesitate to act as promised if pushed to far. He turns to leave, hoping that he doesn't bump into the others, who he suspects remain in the doorway invisible.

Finally, once Garion and Kuz'Arak are far enough from earshot he sighs deeply. "That man unsettles me my friend. He means what he says. He will kill Fadelby without hesitation. Even if it is all an elaborate bluff, it is not a chance I am willing to take... Whatever organization this man works for, he is eager to get these notes. I feel he would also gain something from pulling us into whatever their aims are... I feel that there may be an opportunity here that we should discuss with the others."

The Iruxi rubs his chin thoughtfully, feeling rather exposed without Bul'Ro by his side. Once the others have retreated from the building and gathered he would continue "I believe we have a rather interesting opportunity here, though it may test some of our willingness. This man obviously is connected to some nefarious group. And he seems all to eager to lump us in with them. We might use his greed for glory against him... I'm assuming this group is the same that Voz was working for. And if you remember, there was mention of the same group having connection to the Cultists in the Mwange. I believe that we may be able to use this man to gain an upper hand on this organization. Infiltrate from the inside. If they are connected to Voz and the Cultists, I believe that we still have great interest in seeing their plans fail. For one, I doubt they will give up on Alsetta's ring and whatever their plans for the Mwange might be. I would see that they would fall before they can see these plans through..." He looks to the rest of the group, hoping that they might see sense in his plan. Though it seems crazy, even unwise, he was confident that this was a surprising opportunity that they must take advantage of

Actions

Kuz'Arak

Bul'Ro

Remaining Vital Beacon

4d10

4d8

4d6

4d4

Kuz'Arak |Lizardfolk Druid 9 | AC 27 (29) | HP 98 | Per +17|Speed 25 | Fort: 15 Ref: 17 Will: 17

Bul’Ro | animal companion 9 | AC 27 | HP 96 | Per +16 | Speed 40 | Fort: 17 Ref: 19 Will: 16

Edited by Nwise (see edit history)

spacer.png

Once Kuz'Arak and Garion are in a nearby alley, the gnome assures his friend, "I'm always in favor of crazy plans. I think the others can be persuaded." Garion peeks back toward the shop. "In the meantime, let's listen in, shall we?" Garion chants, "hear there, and everywhere", casting Clairaudience.

(With Clairaudience, Garion creates an invisible floating ear above the doorway of the backroom of the shop. Note: Range is 500' and does not have to be within line-of-sight or line-of-effect.)