spacer.pngspacer.png

Kuz'Arak accepts Drasil's conlcusion "Yes, I believe you are right my friend. We cannot suffer such fiends to waltz about without the defenders of this town taking action. If you all are prepared now, we could return immediately and put an end to them. Though I sorely miss Bul'Ro by my side, the delay may allow them more preparations for our return, seeing as they trust us about as much as we trust them... "

Actions

Kuz'Arak

Bul'Ro

Remaining Vital Beacon

4d10

4d8

4d6

4d4

Kuz'Arak |Lizardfolk Druid 9 | AC 27 (29) | HP 98 | Per +17|Speed 25 | Fort: 15 Ref: 17 Will: 17

Bul’Ro | animal companion 9 | AC 27 | HP 96 | Per +16 | Speed 40 | Fort: 17 Ref: 19 Will: 16

spacer.png

As the group is deciding, Garion reminds Kuz'Arak, "We must be as prepared as possible for what is sure to be a difficult fight." He continues, "With regard to giving them more time to prepare ... they already are prepared for us and they already don't trust us." Garion concludes, "Let's get Bul'Ro and get geared up. They're fully expecting us to take time to do that."

After a quick visit to the Citadel to gather the notes, gear, and Bul'Ro, Garion asks the group on the return, "So what's the plan? Do we even want to bring the real notes with us?" Turning to Braz'i, he asks, "Do you have a Darkness spell? That might help with surprise and save Fadelby, assuming we're prepared with darkvision." Turning to the others and shrugging, "Or we could pretend to show Heuberk the notes and then charge into the backroom, hoping for the best." He adds, "It would risk Fadelby's life, but we know a good healer." He nods to Kuz'Arak.

[Dax, is there a window into the backroom such that we could burst through somewhere other than the front door?]

Garion | Gnome Sorcerer 9 | AC 24 | HP 99/89 | Per +15 | F:+16, R:+16, W:+16 | Speed 25' | Focus 2/2 | Spells -/4/4/3/4/2

The Bravos hurry back to Citadel Alterein. You do see a some others who are out and about at this late hour, including a few party goers who haven't made it home yet, a man so drunk you're pretty sure that he won't make it home tonight and a pair of kids having a stolen moment. Avoiding them or having only minimal contact, you get home quickly and gather any needed items, including Bul'Ro and a facsimile of Vox's journal that you know won't hold up to scrutiny, but only needs to fool them for a few moments. If you want something better, I'll need a Society (Forgery) check. Even though it will take up a lot of the time you have, it will still be a rush job and you'll have a steep penalty.
You then rush back to the wainwright's shop. You find it much as you've left it. The door has been closed again, though.

Status

Visibility:
Terrain:
Cover:

Kuz'Arak 98/98 HP 2/3 AP;
Bul'Ro 96/96 HP;
Drasil 102/102 HP 3/3 AP;
Kyros 123/123 HP 3/3 AP; Darkvision, Low-Light Vision; Resist Fire 10
Garion 99/89 HP 3/3 AP; False Life
Braz'i 96/96 HP 3/3 AP;

Edited by Dax Thura (see edit history)

spacer.png

Kyros nods in agreement with Drasil, his expression grim.

Returning to the shop with the 'notes' he does one last check of his gear and nods to the others. No time to talk now. With no other egress into the shop, the only way to save the hostage is through this sidewinder.

Kyros | Swashbuckler 9 | AC 27, Fire Resistance 5 | HP 123 | Percep +14 | F +14 R +19 W +14 | SPD 30 ft. (45 w/ panache) | Focus 1/1

spacer.png

When they return to the Vusker's Carts and Wheels, Garion sees Kyros hunting around for a side door. "Since they're expecting us, shall we just go through the front?" With a glint in his teal eyes, he adds, "I plan to cast my invisible eye before entering, and I'll sustain it to peek into the backroom." He pauses and confirms, "We are trying to take Heuberk alive, yes?" He looks to the group for consensus.

When everyone's magically buffed and ready, Garion says, "eye spy" to cast Prying Eye.

Garion | Gnome Sorcerer 9 | AC 24 | HP 99/89 | Per +15 | F:+16, R:+16, W:+16 | Speed 25' | Focus 2/2 | Spells -/4/4/3/4/2

You know there is a regular sized door along one side of the shop.

Garion's eye sees the shop floor is the same as when they left it. The door to the back room is slightly ajar. You can tell that someone is in the doorway watching the shop area.
This is what can be seen through a window into the shop room. I presume that the team was told that Heuberk cast a spell that allowed him to see the invisible members of the team. Do you wish to continue your scouting?

Status

Visibility:
Terrain:
Cover:

Bul'Ro 96/96 HP;
Braz'i 96/96 HP 3/3 AP;

spacer.png

When the group astutely reminds Garion that Heuberk was able to see the invisible party, he decides NOT to cast Prying Eye.

Instead, he proposes, "Since we have the 'notes', shall we enter through the front door?" Garion continues, "Before we let Heuberk take a close look, we demand to see proof of life."

Turning to whoever is bristling the most, Drasil or Kyros, the little gnome concludes, "Then we attack!"

Moving this along....

Heuberk appears from the back room as you enter the workroom. He holds a small pouch with a wet red spot on the bottom of it. When you ask for proof of life, he tosses the bag over to you. "I did tell you that he would lose a finger. Any more issues and there will be no more life in Fadelby to show. Now, the notes."

Status

Visibility:
Terrain:
Cover:

Bul'Ro 96/96 HP;
Braz'i 96/96 HP 3/3 AP;

spacer.png

Garion shudders when he realizes there's a bloody finger in the bag. The gnome retrieves the notes, steps forward, and asks, "If you're willing to threaten us and torture innocent townsfolk, how can we trust you with Voz's notes?" He continues, "If you know about Alseta's Ring, you can appreciate the danger of it falling into ..." he looks pointedly toward the back room "... the wrong hands." Holding the notes aloft, he asks somewhat accusatorily, "What kind of people do you work for, Mr. Heuberk?"

Garion isn't really expecting any useful answers. Maybe he'll provoke an attack? Mostly he's stalling to give Kyros or Drasil a chance to ... get things started.

Note: If it happens to come up, could Garion maybe use Diplomacy for initiative?

Heuberk stops Garion from closing again. "You can believe me because I have been patient with your understandable reluctance with the situation. Also, because am a serious fellow who does as he says. The finger, for instance. I said I would, so I did. Now, if you'll leave the papers on the counter there (red X), we can discuss that job we have for you." Heuberk seems to be on alert for an attack from you. He can't seem to keep his hand from his weapons hilt or flexing in preparation for spellcasting. "Oh! In case you were going to ask, proof of life will be in the form of blood." A whimper comes from inside the back room.

Status

Visibility:
Terrain:
Cover:

Bul'Ro 96/96 HP;
Braz'i 96/96 HP 3/3 AP;

spacer.png

Back at the wainwrights, Drasil is clearly agitated, as though itchy. Behind and obviously fake smile he fidgets and shifts his weight restlessly.

"Blood is only proof of blood." Drasil flicks his head, as though trying to shake off an insect.

"We want proof of life." hit foot taps arrhythmically
"Bring. Him. Out." The elf is blinking rapidly, a departure form his usually half-vacant stare. In his all-black eyes, something either clicks into place, or snaps, and his composure shifts with it.

"Bark bark bark, you're as bad as dogs" he spits from a cracked smile. "you are desperate. Or wouldn't be so urgent. You are weak, or you wouldn't be so pathetic. you think you hold all the cards, or maybe you know you only have one. You think that wainwright's life is a token you can use to protect yourself."

"But you are wrong Heuberk . You think your only card is the wainwright, some human. That is wroth nothing to me Heuberk. It would take the deaths of a thousand thousand humans humans to stain my conscience Hauberk. Your only card is our word. You are not in control Heuberk."

"But you act like you've been paying attention Heuberk. You know my word is my bond."

Drasil will cast his oversized sword into the far corner of the room, crashing against the wall, out of his reach.

"This is it Heuberk. Hand the wainwright to us and my colleagues will hand over the documents. On my soul and my word, may a Nosoi be watching." The elf looks faint, eyes wide swaying slightly.

"Or don't, and I'll refresh my memory on what the crunch of a fiends skull cracking sounds like.
Heuberk."

At that Drasil recomposes slightly. He straightens his back, and holds his empty fists beside himself. "Hand them over to us now, human or find out just how empty your hand truly is." The elf renews his smile, but this smile is toothy, and does not seem friendly.

Drasil | Elf Fighter 9 | AC 28(26 while raging with weapon)(27 without oversized weapon) | HP 114/114 +0 temp| Percep +15 (+17 init) | Speed 35' |

spacer.png

Garion shakes his head at Heuberk. "We ask for proof of life, and you provide us proof of death. And you still haven't told us what kind of people you work for."

After Drasil's uncharacteristic outburst, Garion completely understands the frustration and nods to his friend. "That was ... most moving." As he says, "most moving", he casts Time Jump.

(As mentioned earlier, Time Jump is a non-offensive, verbal-only spell, which says "While you take these actions, time pauses. All other creatures are completely unaware of your actions ... once the actions are complete, time starts again, and to onlookers, you seem to have suddenly teleported across the distance you traveled.")

Garion uses the spell to stride toward the back room, peek inside as he's moving, and move back to his current location.

(Other than knowing a spell was cast, there should be no evidence that anything happened -- since time was stopped for everyone when Garion uttered the words. But if this starts us in initiative, so be it.)

Garion | Gnome Sorcerer 9 | AC 24 | HP 99/89 | Per +15 | F:+16, R:+16, W:+16 | Speed 25' | Focus 2/2 | Spells -/4/4/2/4/2

After Drasil's outburst, Garion casts his spell. You're probably aren't surprised that he reacts like he was expecting trouble from you. Before Garion can complete the spell, Heuberk calls out, "Kill him!" You hear a scream that turns into a gurgle then it quiets.

Garion is able to finish his spell. You have to push past Heuberk to get into the room. There are 3 thugs in the room and one Fadelby falling over from his sword wound.

Does Garion still wish to leave the room?

I think for this one, we're going to go with actual Initiative. You have 24 hours to roll yours before I roll it for you. Garion can still use Diplomacy, if you wish.

Status

Visibility:
Terrain:
Cover:

Bul'Ro 96/96 HP;
Braz'i 96/96 HP 3/3 AP;

spacer.png

(Yes, Garion finishes his movement as originally planned, back where he started.)

Still standing in the same spot holding Voz's notes, Garion looks incredulous at Heuberk, "You killed him? While we were talking? I guess you weren't serious about needing this information. Shame." After a disappointed sigh, he states the obvious, "Of course, you and your murderous friends will pay."

Initiative (via Diplomacy)

Garion | Gnome Sorcerer 9 | AC 24 | HP 99/89 | Per +15 | F:+16, R:+16, W:+16 | Speed 25' | Focus 2/2 | Spells -/4/4/2/4/2

Name
Initiative (via Diplomacy)
1d20+20 6