General Discussion

Poor_Knight

23 minutes ago, Poor_Knight said:

I'm Poor_Knight and I support this message.

In addendum, yes AL started as exclusively FR, but they have been incorporating other settings. Those settings do not have nearly as much content to play with as FR but there is some. And many people enjoy re-playing some of the modules with different characters, so re-running anything is not likely to be an issue. But there are many unexplored modules that are not directly tied to the WotC Hardcover products; some of them have been exceptional. Others might know the details better but there are series set in the Moonshaes, for instance, where no WotC hardcover has set foot yet.

And welcome, by the way. Glad to see new names and hope to see more AL games firing up!

Thanks for the welcome! And yeah, the Eberron adventures, Ravenloft's Mist Hunters, and some "unofficial" AL products like the Moonshaes and Spelljammer seem fun, as do some of the Feywild/WBtWL-adjacent adventures, so I wasn't sure how to proceed with the unofficial content. I'm about to publish a Moonshae-adjacent adventure on the DM's Guild in the next week (formatting-willing) but wasn't planning on heading in that direction.

I'm still in the planning stages as far as that goes. What's best practice on recruiting: first come first serve, or an actual application process? I say best practice, what's standard practice I suppose I really mean.

To continue to overload with questions, what's the general attrition rate? There does seem to be a pretty close-knit community here, but I figure there's typical attrition in the middle of games; how is that normally played out? DMPC, or just quiet retcon of their involvement?

I'm glad my post was helpful (and an official PK endorsement!). If anything comes up that you have questions about, there are several people here who are wonderful sources of information (PK being one of the main ones). I'd also echo PK's welcome!

Most DMs use a first-come first-served basis for recruiting players into their games. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone ask for applications here, to be honest. I don't think anyone would object if you wanted to do it, but it would definitely be out of the norm.

As for attrition, people definitely drop out, although perhaps more frequent is people disappearing for a short time (a week or weeks) and then coming back. If someone disappears in the middle of combat, I think DMs often choose to DMPC for the missing player's turns (again, you don't want to let things get drawn out too long), but if the absence persists, I'd say a quiet retcon of their involvement is pretty common (sometimes entailing a quiet retcon of their return as well). Occasionally, somebody gets recruited to take their place (less common in modules, but still happens).

Of course, if a DM disappears, the game may have to be abandoned, but quite often someone here has volunteered to jump in to finish the game, especially if it's near the end.

Finally, as for non-WotC content, I've been running the Border Kingdoms mods here and been enjoying them very much (hopefully the players agree). I think we're on the 10th module now with a fairly consistent group of players. I haven't played any of the Dungeoncraft stuff, I don't think, but I believe several have been run here. There's definitely a shortage of DMs relative to players here, so pretty much anything you choose to run will get people eager to play.

13 hours ago, lemonstyx said:

I'm glad my post was helpful (and an official PK endorsement!). If anything comes up that you have questions about, there are several people here who are wonderful sources of information (PK being one of the main ones). I'd also echo PK's welcome!

Most DMs use a first-come first-served basis for recruiting players into their games. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone ask for applications here, to be honest. I don't think anyone would object if you wanted to do it, but it would definitely be out of the norm.

As for attrition, people definitely drop out, although perhaps more frequent is people disappearing for a short time (a week or weeks) and then coming back. If someone disappears in the middle of combat, I think DMs often choose to DMPC for the missing player's turns (again, you don't want to let things get drawn out too long), but if the absence persists, I'd say a quiet retcon of their involvement is pretty common (sometimes entailing a quiet retcon of their return as well). Occasionally, somebody gets recruited to take their place (less common in modules, but still happens).

Of course, if a DM disappears, the game may have to be abandoned, but quite often someone here has volunteered to jump in to finish the game, especially if it's near the end.

Finally, as for non-WotC content, I've been running the Border Kingdoms mods here and been enjoying them very much (hopefully the players agree). I think we're on the 10th module now with a fairly consistent group of players. I haven't played any of the Dungeoncraft stuff, I don't think, but I believe several have been run here. There's definitely a shortage of DMs relative to players here, so pretty much anything you choose to run will get people eager to play.

I ran PFS on another site for a few years, ultimately by myself, and the level of response and openness y'all have is astounding. Mad props on the self reflection, the advice, and yeah, noting the shortage of DMs. I had been hoping someone would open a spot somewhere, but that's the curse of the Forever DM, isn't it? Be the DM you want to see in the world.

I'm exploring the non-storyline-focused adventures right now, though I am rather drawn to Avernus Rising and Mist Hunters, both of which I partially already own. The Moonshae stuff could be serviceable, though it's not my favorite as-written, but you can always polish a stone into a gem with enough effort.

I've noticed different player archives in the AL section use different formats; from that I assume there's not a standard format and it largely depends on the preferences of the DM?

Going to probably make a decision about if and what I'm launching sometime today, and go from there. Y'all have been beyond helpful.

Edited by Gregorotto (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Gregorotto said:

I ran PFS on another site for a few years, ultimately by myself, and the level of response and openness y'all have is astounding. Mad props on the self reflection, the advice, and yeah, noting the shortage of DMs. I had been hoping someone would open a spot somewhere, but that's the curse of the Forever DM, isn't it? Be the DM you want to see in the world.

I'm exploring the non-storyline-focused adventures right now, though I am rather drawn to Avernus Rising and Mist Hunters, both of which I partially already own. The Moonshae stuff could be serviceable, though it's not my favorite as-written, but you can always polish a stone into a gem with enough effort.

I've noticed different player archives in the AL section use different formats; from that I assume there's not a standard format and it largely depends on the preferences of the DM?

Going to probably make a decision about if and what I'm launching sometime today, and go from there. Y'all have been beyond helpful.

I assume you mean different posting formats? There was a fairly consistent one that many of us used on the old site that doesn't seem to translate as well over to the new site. At least I haven't been able to replicate it to my liking. I think there's a lot of experimentation going on right now. If you have a preferred format you'd like to see as a DM, feel free to put it out there - I think a lot of people would like some suggestions as to what to do.

21 hours ago, lemonstyx said:

I assume you mean different posting formats? There was a fairly consistent one that many of us used on the old site that doesn't seem to translate as well over to the new site. At least I haven't been able to replicate it to my liking. I think there's a lot of experimentation going on right now. If you have a preferred format you'd like to see as a DM, feel free to put it out there - I think a lot of people would like some suggestions as to what to do.

Oh no, I meant like details about the character, more like an application or some such. I fully expect posting formats to be different and wouldn't sweat that as long as they're usable, for the time being.

These have been exceptionally helpful. I'm going to think on it today and probably start forum building tomorrow. Thanks y'all!

EDIT: Also I updated the ALG badge/logo to fit the circle, if anyone is interested in that.

spacer.png

What it looks like as a badge (with all topics read, on Default theme):

spacer.png

Edited by Gregorotto (see edit history)

One benefit of the new set up for AL Game on the New MW, since the games are separate, you can also advertise the game in the traditional sense so it appears in the Advertisements section of MW. Will help garner more exposure. Of course, no one is required to join our little group here, but for DMs, you'll want to generate some more interest in the game if enough people are not responding here.

2 hours ago, Poor_Knight said:

One benefit of the new set up for AL Game on the New MW, since the games are separate, you can also advertise the game in the traditional sense so it appears in the Advertisements section of MW. Will help garner more exposure. Of course, no one is required to join our little group here, but for DMs, you'll want to generate some more interest in the game if enough people are not responding here.

I was actually going to comment on that once my ad process was over, I realized I never asked but since I think I'm the first new game that's looking for players, that's a growing pain to figure out rather than an established procedure. That said, with the way ads work, it's going to open some flood gates I'll have to figure out as far as new people jumping on it and spots being tight; I may hold off for a second on that avenue.

1 hour ago, Thistledown said:

Am I correct in the impression that AL games don't allow any homebrew/variants/customization tweaks or is that dependent on individual DMs?

That's correct; AL follows a single set of regulated play that means characters are transferable between tables. That said, DMs can make calls and streamline some rules for the sake of adaptation to play by post. But nothing so differential as "I allow Warforged in my Forgotten Realms setting" or "here's a homebrew so you can play a hag!" Or stuff like that.

Pretty neat to see the list of AL Characters growing.

To be a DM, you don't need to do anything special, just start an Adventurers League game like any other game (and maybe add the ALG badge to show solidarity). If your a DM looking for players in this sub-community of Myth Weavers let me know and I'll set you as a DM here as well, which will allow you to add other people as Members of this group.

Seeing some new names which is fantastic. I know the gamers here on MW can't resist playing 2 or 3 or 10 games at a time, so likely will find plenty of people looking for games.

On 9/22/2023 at 7:55 AM, Poor_Knight said:

Gregorotto is correct. But this should not be looked at as a limitation but a "Feature". 😉

I come from LONG experience with 3.5, so I'm rather used to being able to work out customizations and use homebrew. And frankly 5e definitely needs it in several places. So yeah I consider it a limitation. I suppose if you aren't super comfortable with understanding how rules and balance work or being able to mold encounters precisely to the abilities of your players it would be considered a feature. Apparently 5e brought in a lot of new players to the hobby, which is great, but probably also many of those are more casual, and unable or unwilling to tweak things to taste...

13 minutes ago, Thistledown said:

I come from LONG experience with 3.5, so I'm rather used to being able to work out customizations and use homebrew. And frankly 5e definitely needs it in several places. So yeah I consider it a limitation. I suppose if you aren't super comfortable with understanding how rules and balance work or being able to mold encounters precisely to the abilities of your players it would be considered a feature. Apparently 5e brought in a lot of new players to the hobby, which is great, but probably also many of those are more casual, and unable or unwilling to tweak things to taste...

Oh yes, along side 3.x, 5e can seem "plain". But there is goodness in 5e's concept too and not implying one is better than the other. I've learned many years ago that not everyone has fun the same way.

My "feature" comment was meant that the goal was not to be limiting, but in that because there is a codified set of rules, we are sharing the same experience. When I play a particular module, it would be a very similar experience if you played it, and we could discuss our mutual experience (like watching the same movie and talking about it later).

But if one's expectation is to change how the game is being played, then Adventurer's League can be stifling to embrace. Thankfully there are other ways to play D&D.

48 minutes ago, Poor_Knight said:

Oh yes, along side 3.x, 5e can seem "plain". But there is goodness in 5e's concept too and not implying one is better than the other. I've learned many years ago that not everyone has fun the same way.

My "feature" comment was meant that the goal was not to be limiting, but in that because there is a codified set of rules, we are sharing the same experience. When I play a particular module, it would be a very similar experience if you played it, and we could discuss our mutual experience (like watching the same movie and talking about it later).

But if one's expectation is to change how the game is being played, then Adventurer's League can be stifling to embrace. Thankfully there are other ways to play D&D.

Ah I see, you were speaking specifically about AL, not 5e overall.

My thing is since coming to 5e from 3.5, I discovered Treantmonk's variants/class and race fixes, which are objectively better. For example, vanilla Dragonborn in 5e (my favorite race), REALLY need a few tweaks like Darkvision and better breath weapons (Fizban's was an improvement but not quite good enough).

On top of that I think BG3 had some good implementations, folding the Hexblade subclass into Pact of the Blade for example. I want to be able to play with these tweaks/fixes, but have not been able to find a DM or game willing to allow them, despite not being "broken". It has been frustrating to find that the 5e crowd seems much more dogmatic about what is printed in the books, and less comfortable with using what is there and then molding it taste.