General Discussion

Poor_Knight

Hello! Here's the guide for creating a new character. Note at the bottom the varying rules for FR/Spelljammer, Eberron, Dragonlance, and Ravenloft.

Worth noting, there's currently no open games nor any established games looking for new characters, that I'm aware of. I'm the newest DM of the bunch and my understanding is that demand for games is much higher than DMs able to fulfill that need, not that the temptation has done anything but thrust itself upon me nigh constantly.

3 hours ago, Taigains said:

Ah~ okie~ would you recommend i wait for a game then make a character for it or make a character first then wait for a game?

I want to say to make a character first, and then apply when something that interests you comes up. Because sometimes, slots fill up fast-fast-fast.

Edited by SCARY WIZARD (see edit history)

In the character creation guide, its says something a little confusing

Title

Background: You can create a custom background or use any available background as presented. If you choose a background that does not grant a feat, you may choose one of the following feats for your character: Skilled or Tough.

Later for FR it adds magic initiate to the kist of feats but i havnt found a background that dosnt have a feature...

Am I getting feature and feat confused?

Feature is something all Backgrounds give, like Acolytes being able to hang out in temples for free over night and Criminals being able to know the criminal element of any city they're in. Prior to Tasha's Cauldron of Everything and Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen, Backgrounds didn't have Feats. Now, with 5.5. on the horizon, all Backgrounds now get a Feat, though they limit the selection because a lot of Backgrounds want to give you specific Feats relevant to the setting you're using (the upcoming Planescape book is the most recent to come to mind). The ALG book gives access to those two Feats, but also some setting-specific ones like the one you've listed that adds Magic Initiate to the list.

I'm unaware of such a list, it's a fairly fresh mechanical change. I know it started with Dragonlance, so anything released in the last year (Bigsby Presents being the most obvious, and as I'm reading Planescape now I can confirm that's the case). For Urchin you'd just get the three choices.

Now, I've got a question... I'm fixing up my Illusionist Wizard to 2nd level. I might have seen somewhere in an Adventurers League text from a prior Season information about factions within the Forgotten Realms, such as the benefits to joining them. Is there anywhere that I can find this, or is that information obsolete?

You can rebuild your character any time you like, which I would read as 'not currently in an adventure' for pbp.
So at a session break, or between games you can rebuild your character, and that should allow you to add the feat.

You only get to pick between Skilled or Tough. 

9 hours ago, SCARY WIZARD said:

Now, I've got a question... I'm fixing up my Illusionist Wizard to 2nd level. I might have seen somewhere in an Adventurers League text from a prior Season information about factions within the Forgotten Realms, such as the benefits to joining them. Is there anywhere that I can find this, or is that information obsolete?

You may choose one faction at character creation or anytime the opportunity arises during play. Benefits for faction membership are detailed within adventures where relevant. The starting factions are listed in appendix C in the Basic Rules. I think in older versions, you replaced background ability with the faction agent one, and maybe got a magic item, but that doesn't appear in the latest version of the rules.

9 hours ago, 8w_gremlin said:

oh so we get a feat now at 1st level?
is that retroactive?

In essence, yes. As omegoku points out, you can now rebuild your character however you like between sessions, and there are no longer official rules on how to "officially" update a character from previous seasons, but it's assumed they would be rebuilt with current rules (which I assume are going to be updated after Planescape gets dropped next week). The Feat list depends on what you select as your character's setting and if they choose a Background that gives a Feat (one of the newer ones). So check out the setting section at the bottom of the Player's Guide for a full list of Feats settings give.

9 hours ago, SCARY WIZARD said:

As omegoku says, the Faction bit is obsolete and has been eliminated. This nifty reddit thread seems mostly accurate for updating characters/rebuilding them to current season specs.