General Discussion

Poor_Knight

I'm trying to get my bearings with the website, but this is the first time I've been on a play by post form so I'm a bit confused about how to navigate and make character sheets. But this group seems pretty cool from what I've seen. I've played a little bit of 5e before but there doesn't seem to be many groups running 5e.

Yeah, there isn't much new activity happening it seems. But happy to see the new "faces" here - welcome.

Seems like we should resurrect the thread we used to have on old MW to help new players get their characters created? Any volunteers for migrating the old post or re-creating it here?

But, we do need more DM's to start up new games as well :)

I'm not opposed to recreating it, if you can direct me to the old stuff.

10 hours ago, Ahimuto said:

I'm trying to get my bearings with the website, but this is the first time I've been on a play by post form so I'm a bit confused about how to navigate and make character sheets. But this group seems pretty cool from what I've seen. I've played a little bit of 5e before but there doesn't seem to be many groups running 5e.

This is actually somewhat misleading; 5e gets more ads than most games, but it's a lot slower now that we've switched from the old site to the new one, I think because people are still getting their bearings to the new forum layout and way coding works. It looks like there's not a lot of 5e, but there's a steadier stream of 5e games than, say, PF2e, PbtA, or FATE games. But there's also a renaissance of smaller RPG systems, too, which is actually quite nice.

Poor_Knight and I have been discussing things in private, just a heads up in general: I'm going to be rebuilding/transferring the guides from OGMW and updating them to the current Season (with the full expectation that ALG is about to get another season sometime after Planescape drops next week), and we thought building a Getting Started section would be a good idea. So if you're new, or interested in updating your character, or interested in DMing, look for those guides to drop in the coming days in a new tab!

2 hours ago, Gregorotto said:

Poor_Knight and I have been discussing things in private, just a heads up in general: I'm going to be rebuilding/transferring the guides from OGMW and updating them to the current Season (with the full expectation that ALG is about to get another season sometime after Planescape drops next week), and we thought building a Getting Started section would be a good idea. So if you're new, or interested in updating your character, or interested in DMing, look for those guides to drop in the coming days in a new tab!

Can you define what a season is in this context? Also, is it alright if i just ask a questions whenever i don't understand something?

Ask away!

So, the way AL is laid out, each year is a "season" tied to the big release of the year. In the past this has been big advenutres—Waterdeep, Curse of Strahd, Descent into Avernus, etc.—but lately they've been more tied to settings—Spelljammer, the Feywild, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Eberron, etc. Each new "season" they take the opportunity to update the rules for characters and DMs, as well as content creators.

For example, I'm running Season 9, Avernus Rising, right now. But I'm also running it during the 2022-2023 season, which focuses on Spelljammer but I have no interest in Spelljammer, so I'm running adventures from a prior season. Presumably, after Planescape drops next week, AL will drop new season rules so people can create Planescape adventures for AL and give guidance on how to run adventures like Phandelver and Below and Turn of Fortune's Wheel for AL. Chances are they'll also update rules to include books like Glory of the Giants. OR, and this is a big or, they'll pause new AL rules until the 2024 Core Revision rules are released.

So help me - if they do anything to try and force the subscription model/Beyond based VTT stuff on us, Im gonna flip my lid. I know it isn't going to have the promised backwards compatibility, so I am willing to bet AL as weve known it is going to go the way of Living City and some new league will be their focus.

7 hours ago, Quint Essence said:

So help me - if they do anything to try and force the subscription model/Beyond based VTT stuff on us, Im gonna flip my lid. I know it isn't going to have the promised backwards compatibility, so I am willing to bet AL as weve known it is going to go the way of Living City and some new league will be their focus.

I can't possibly speculate with any accuracy, though as a D&DB subscriber, the AL material is only minimally implemented. It would take a lot of work to make it backwards compatible. But they do seem to be building towards something with AL's Dreams of the Red Wizards storyline, and since that will be the hardcover adventure in 2025-ish after the Vecna adventure, it's entirely possible. As AL is a major draw to get people into D&D, it would be odd to hide that behind a subscription paywall.

All that said, it will have virtually no effect on us, in the end.

On 10/10/2023 at 1:47 PM, Gregorotto said:

Thanks so much for doing this, Gregorotto. I think this will be very helpful for all of us.

"Sir! I have come... to tell you have been served by the city of Balder's Gate for destruction of city property, fifteen counts of kidnapping, and highly suspect implantation of tadpoles."

Hands the papers to the Mindflayer.