General Discussion

Poor_Knight

8 minutes ago, TricksterArcane said:

They have a specific info pack for building DungeonCraft adventures for AL. A new one is currently in the process of being updated, but I don't believe there are any drastic changes. If you want to be absolutely sure, you can follow the development progress on their Discord server.

Does AL have its own Discord or just the D&D general server?

Possible new players heading our way... I told some people from an AD&D1E game that I was in, elsewhere, that'd been ongoing for sixteen years, to check this out. Here's hoping!

While my current WotR game takes precedence in all of my GMing ventures... I'm foolishly considering starting another game. And considering doing it as an AL game. I'm starting to poke through this forum and see what resources there are, as time allows. But I think that my big question is: What kind of bookkeeping to I have to do to register as an AL GM, if any?

25 minutes ago, mildly_competent said:

While my current WotR game takes precedence in all of my GMing ventures... I'm foolishly considering starting another game. And considering doing it as an AL game. I'm starting to poke through this forum and see what resources there are, as time allows. But I think that my big question is: What kind of bookkeeping to I have to do to register as an AL GM, if any?

You don't really need much bookkeeping if you don't want to. That's only required for claiming service awards (but they're pretty sweet).

This post on the dndbeyond forums has all the updated documentation you'd need:

https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/dungeons-dragons-discussion/d-d-adventurers-league/192532-d-d-adventurers-league-resources-links

For tracking your hours, anything will do, but the adventurersleaguelog site has an option for it as well.

Edited by TricksterArcane (see edit history)

I would like to run "Dragonlance - Shadow of the Dragon Queen". I ordered this book now: https://www.amazon.de/dp/0786968281?psc=1&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Is there anything else I need to run it as an AL game? Particularly, is this both adventure and campaign setting, or only one of the two? Is there any way to buy the digital assets as well? Meaning maps, illustrations etc. I saw a pack for Roll20 on dmsguild.com, but I don't want to run it on Roll20, I want to run it here.

1 hour ago, Feuerrabe said:

I would like to run "Dragonlance - Shadow of the Dragon Queen". I ordered this book now: https://www.amazon.de/dp/0786968281?psc=1&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Is there anything else I need to run it as an AL game? Particularly, is this both adventure and campaign setting, or only one of the two? Is there any way to buy the digital assets as well? Meaning maps, illustrations etc. I saw a pack for Roll20 on dmsguild.com, but I don't want to run it on Roll20, I want to run it here.

The book is both the campaign setting and the adventure--but mostly the adventure.

As for digital assets, consider using MapTool, into which you can import any digital assets you have. That's what I do for my games. I just take screenshots of the MapTool on my desktop and post them here.

The adventure gives places where you can run some sort of mass-combat board game? But I didn't get that and don't use it in my campaign, and anywhere it does mention it, it always says, "If you don't use the Warriors of Krynn . . . proceed to the next section".

"proceed to the next section" sounds good to me.

I don't quite understand the MapTool reference... my problem is that I don't have any digital assets. I am perfectly happy to work with The Gimp for the maps themselves, though I heard others suggesting vector graphics programs such as Inkspace.

Oh, let me guess: I need to have a D&D Beyond account after all... :/

I think I may have found something. Handouts, Maps, Tokens, Lists for Shadow of the Dragon Queen : r/dragonlance (reddit.com)

Ok, if the adventure and the campaign setting is in the same book... is there some kind of Player's Guide with the variant rules for players?

yeah, there's no way to legally get digital assets unless you buy a digital copy as well. For that, you can buy it on any digital platform, Roll20 or dndbeyond.

There is a physical + digital combo, but that is dndbeyond only.

If you haven't already, also review the AL DMs guide document and the Dragonlance AL adaptation guide.

19 minutes ago, TricksterArcane said:

yeah, there's no way to legally get digital assets unless you buy a digital copy as well. For that, you can buy it on any digital platform, Roll20 or dndbeyond.

There is a physical + digital combo, but that is dndbeyond only.

If you haven't already, also review the AL DMs guide document and the Dragonlance AL adaptation guide.

If I buy the digital assets for say dndbeyond, can I then import them into MapTool, as Kamshiro_Rin suggested? My impression was that, if I buy assets for Roll20 or dndbeyond, I can only use the assets in the respective platform, but they don't actually hand me a file, or do they? If that were the case, I could just subscribe, buy the package, cancel the subscription and be done with it?

"proceed to the next section" sounds good to me.

I don't quite understand the MapTool reference... my problem is that I don't have any digital assets. I am perfectly happy to work with The Gimp for the maps themselves, though I heard others suggesting vector graphics programs such as Inkspace.

Oh, let me guess: I need to have a D&D Beyond account after all... :/

I think I may have found something. Handouts, Maps, Tokens, Lists for Shadow of the Dragon Queen : r/dragonlance (reddit.com)

Ok, if the adventure and the campaign setting is in the same book... is there some kind of Player's Guide with the variant rules for players?

https://www.rptools.net/toolbox/maptool/

It's a free-to-use vtt

I use it for my groups and just take screenshots.

As for maps . . .

If I buy the digital assets for say dndbeyond, can I then import them into MapTool, as Kamshiro_Rin suggested? My impression was that, if I buy assets for Roll20 or dndbeyond, I can only use the assets in the respective platform, but they don't actually hand me a file, or do they? If that were the case, I could just subscribe, buy the package, cancel the subscription and be done with it?

the subscription service and marketplace on dndbeyond are separate. you only need a free account to access anything you buy on dndbeyond marketplace.

once you've got that in dndbeyond, you can then right-click, save as any image you want and import that into your preferred VTT.