The Hanger

darkhugh

2 hours ago, darkhugh said:

With languages, yes pretty strict, think you normally get one extra free (not got PDF in front of me). The reason for this is because we will likely be jumping around the world a little in later parts, as the pilots and OD will be doing some mini dungeon stuff (there will be some extra ways for pilots and ODs to develop 'pilot' scale skills).

I was hoping to see more AT powers at the personal scale, because i think it'd be super cool to be able to have that power even as a person not always in an eva, but i can always focus on BS or WS to compensate for not having my main career powers outside the eva. I rolled pretty good so i have decent BS/WS to start, they are just more expensive advances for my career.

1 hour ago, Cloudy Summers said:

All Career Paths get Speak Language (English) as an initial skill, as well as either their choice of an additional Speak Language skill or their choice of a Common Lore skill; you also have two free selections for Skill Proficiency, one (or both!) of which you could potentially spend on another language.

Beyond that you have to pay.

It really seems to be whether you want to make a 'foreign' Pilot or one from the UK, since they start in London a pilot could start with english for free and choose a skill prof, or choose a language.

We did also get a bonus to XP to spend so we could spend in there as well, I was very on the fence about getting some more skills

So AT powers at the pilot level is something I have done in the past, it needs to be balanced nicely though etc. Don't expect anything as crazy as you can do in the Evangelion, and it would appear later in the game. But I have had it when running this IRL, though it was at the cost of Ego Barrier, or occured under certain circumstances.

I could see it having some sort of cost - like ego barrier.

AT powers are interesting because to use any of them - including neutralize - from what i understand anyway, you have to spend ATS, and if you have 0 ATS, you have 0 deflection, which means if you want to attack the enemy - and actually deal damage - you also have to have 0 deflection, opening yourself up to equal amounts of damage, its kinda scary - that is, if i'm reading it right.

My BS and WS if i get in won't be too bad, but it would be super cool otherwise being out of the Eva would kinda suck lol. But i suppose thats the point, being out of an Eva means you're just dumb kids with PTSD.

It would be kinda fun to be able to 'spend' ego barrier points. Its like.. tearing up your soul and your mental stability to use your AT field in a way more powerful things (Eva's) can do. The cost is really high so you wouldn't want to do it much, but sometimes if you want to keep your friends safe, you have to tear up your psyche - which is half the fun of this game.

What exactly does the Quick Spread talent do? Its description says the following:

Quick Spread

[...] You may now Full Spread your A.T. Field as a Half Action. As a Free Action you may Spread your A.T. Field by an amount of ATS and ATP up to your Willpower Bonus.

Except there is no such thing as "Full Spreading" your A.T. Field. The only instance of the phrase occurs in the description for Quick Spread. Furthermore, Spreading your A.T. Field is already a Free Action, as declared by the Absolute Territory section (emphasis mine):

The Mechanics

At the beginning of the battle the Eva’s ATS is usually zero and only by Spreading their A.T. Field (a free action, but one that must still be declared) can the Eva gain an ATS.

Does this allow you to "double dip" on your A.T. Field and gain a little extra ATS/ATP, or something? It also seems plausible that Spreading your A.T. Field used to cost your entire turn before being changed, and Quick Spread was not updated to match.

[Edit] I notice that A.T. Technicians specifically have Quick Spread listed as an ability usable at both scales, despite Spreading (and A.T. Field manipulation in general) being ordinarily impossible at Pilot-scale, but beyond that I still don't understand the talent's intent.

[2nd Edit (maybe I should just double post? Nah...)] It does indeed look like a version-difference issue:

AdEva v2 Mechanics

A Spread Pattern can be activated as a Half Spread as a Half Action, generating an ATS equal to 1/2 SR Bonus (rounded up) or Full Spread as a Full Action, generating an ATS equal to your full SR Bonus.

Quick Spread operated about the same in v2 as it does in v2.5 and seems to have not entirely been updated when the Full/Half Spread distinction was removed.

Edited by Cloudy Summers (see edit history)

Thanks for catching that Cloudy.

I personally like the old 2.0 mechanics in honesty and will likely revert to that for a few reasons. 1) It makes quick spread useful, and there can be a limited 'good' choices are earlier levels 2) it makes the earlier combat against an entity a bit more dangerous, you cannot throw up a full power field. This makes the ODs job of slowing the entity down more important, and may force more tactical play earlier.

From what I understand, I think the above would work best, but shout if you disagree. I won't lie, I will get final say but would be good to see what other thoughts are. I will make a new thread for house rules and document these choices there.

So, depends on the situation and who find who doing what. But can lead to that character being lost (so, for example, imprisoned or killed).

However, if you dont do anything then your handler will lose faith and you will be 'replaced'. The mechanic I will be using is a very simple 'trust' meter for NERV and the handler (two separate ratings). Works in the vain of Splinter cell double agent if you ever played that.

Now, depending on what you get caught doing, you might be able to talk your way out, get rid of the person, or maybe throw someone under the bus.

15 hours ago, Cloudy Summers said:
[Edit] I notice that A.T. Technicians specifically have Quick Spread listed as an ability usable at both scales, despite Spreading (and A.T. Field manipulation in general) being ordinarily impossible at Pilot-scale, but beyond that I still don't understand the talent's intent.

The A.T technician being able to use Quick Spread at the personal level is exactly what made me think they would even eventually get access to AT powers on the personal scale, which is why i mentioned being sort of disappointed that it didn't. That said the GM did say they would considering allowing some access to AT powers for the technician at a personal level, which is very cool.

I think the system doesnt consider combat outside evas, at personal scale; i havent found any personal equipment/weapon for example, there is just enough to handle a fist fight which kind of make sense, the characters are extremely valuable teens, who would hand them a gun/send them to fight? you need them to be ready to jump into an eva, 24/7.

But an argument between teens can degenerate into a brawl, the rules do handle this.

I'm not surprised to see no personal gear because Adeva excepts you to also have Dark Heresy, Adeva actually has a few blind spots like that where it basically goes 'just use Dark Heresy'. So they probably assume you have access to all of those as well, if only for the OD or for moments outside of the eva where the pilots have to be protected by someone else.

It would be very easy to just use the entire (or at least the reasonable) gear from DH.

For clarity, there is personal size gear. This however is within the DM guide.

For the most part, I do not think ad Eva is actually built with pilot combat as a fire front item. Perhaps one or two events in a long running game, but more like cat and mouse.

We will be changing that a little as the game goes on.

I would strongly recommend not peeking behind the curtain unless you plan on running the game as you will see a few other contradictions if I recall.

The document does have useful information for DMs, most of the stuff is dependent on certain use cases however.