Season 2, Episode 1.2 - Selling Stones

prophane

Alvan, Hedge Wizardalvan.png.636107b403e6f2a914da455de68fdd6b.png

HP: 10/10 FP: 10/10 ER: 8/8 Conditions: Disgruntled

"No hard feelings, my foot," Alvan mutters to himself, tossing an exasperated glance over his shoulder. "It's not like it was permanent. What difference does a few knots in someones hair really make, or a bit of salt in the porridge? Cleanest that place has ever been, saved a pound of silver on food waste, and still, out on my ear." Squinting up at Piddles, he frowns, barely noticing the others.

"Damned bird," he adds, fondly. Then, blinking, he catches sight of the others.

"Oh, hello!" he says, brightening. "Already back from your grand business, eh? How did your jaunt go? Everything resolved to satisfaction? You missed a bit of a fuss over the last day or so." Shifting, Alvan adjusts his long staff, appearing much the same as he had when they left, apart from being a good bit cleaner, with tidier hair pulled back from his face.

Actions:

Edited by Galedeep (see edit history)

spacer.pngFili Kober

HP: 11/11 FP: 11/11 Conditions:

"Alvan! Just the man we was looking for!" Fili says cheerfully. "Ye got time to walk with us?" she asks before continuing on down the road.

She fills him in on what they think caused the earthquake, and how Alvan maybe can help them, if he's willing. How they want to sell these magic stones today. And then go talk to a guard official about maybe getting paid to look into the earthquake.

It's rather a long speech for Fili, and while she pauses to catch her breath, others will fill in details she's forgotten to mention.

I'll assume text below this line is OOC. It's not rolls!

HP: 10/10 FP: 10/10 ER: 8/8 Conditions: Slightly less disgruntled

Alvan nods, listening intently. "My my my...that was an eventful two days, indeed!" he says, smiling ruefully. "Given my...abrupt dismissal here, I think I rather picked the lesser option, now that I hear all that. On the bright side, I am free from obligations entirely, and would be more than happy to help however I can. We can certainly see about selling your stones...those do seem like valuable little items, but I understand making what coin you can, given the expiration date."

Running his hand through his beard, he looks around. "Truthfully, I was trying to ingratiate myself at the Able Carter, and didn't have much time for aught else, what good it did me. I imagine we can find a purveyor of some sort who would be able to move those stones nearby. Then, once you have coin in hand, perhaps we can find a place to settle in for a bit and I can take a look at those stones, see if I can scry anything up. I'm not overly familiar with druidic craft, myself, despite my appearance," he adds with a chuckle, "but I can at least make an attempt!"

Earthquakes, missing children, missing druidic stones, attacks by firenewts...all this on top of the incursions by orcs. Something grandiose is afoot. Something...unfortunate. Interrupting his musings, he looked up and down the street.

"I don't suppose you have someplace in mind, for selling your goods?" he asks, having not made himself overly familiar with the neighborhood in the past few days of getting the Able Carter cleaned and mended.

Actions:

HP: 10/10 FP: 10/10 ER: 8/8 Conditions: Disgruntled

Raising one eyebrow, Alvan smiles. "Well, we could try it in there, but given I was just unceremoniously given the boot, I don't think it would start the negotiations off on a high note," he says, dryly. "Still, I'm sure there are plenty of provisioners and curio shops somewhere in the city."

Thinking of the conversations he overheard at the Able Carter, and the bits and pieces he's picked up from his few days in the city...nothing really comes to mind.

Action: Making an Area Knowledge roll at default (10) to see if he knows of a place.

GM note: He can't think of anything specific but assumes there are lots of places buying and selling things like that. Maybe the scribe the group visited the other day would be interested.

Edited by prophane (see edit history)
Name
Area Knowledge (10)
3d6 2,3,6

spacer.pngHarolde smiles upon seeing the older man. “Do you have a recommendation, Alvan? A fellow worker of wonders, perhaps?”

He thought himself about what he had heard on the subject.

link to sheet:

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/9855-harolde-pious-pilgrim/

Name
Area Knowledge (Greyhawk) (<12]
3d6 1,3,5

Alvan, Hedge Wizardalvan-modified.png.bd83a3521f0e7ef2d486d0b76bad85bc.png

HP: 10/10 FP: 10/10 ER: 8/8 Conditions: None

With a shrug, Alvan smiles back at Harolde.

"No clue, truth be told, but we may as well start looking. That little shop you went by before you left, with the flamboyant proprietor...crinkle-warts, or something to that effect? He seemed to have all sundry goods, likely a good place to start."

Setting off, he smiles to himself, surrounded by the others again. It had been a less than pleasing few days, back on his own. As much as he was used to it, there was a joy to be had in companionship.

Action:

Edited by Galedeep (see edit history)

Cost_of_Living_in_the_Free_City.pngLocation: Crinklequartz Scribe, Cooper Street, Artisans' Quarter, Domain of Greyhawk
Date: Moonday, Third of Growfest (festival week)
Time: half past 11
Weather: Moderate, 63°, thick, low cloud cover, and mostly calm winds with moments of intense gusts
Sunrise/set: just before 6am/ just after 6pm
Characters Present: Alvan, Emily, Fili, Harolde, Vidar

Geldavus Crinklequartz

attachment.php?attachmentid=107967&d=1669784061Being all in agreement, the group heads off toward the the Gnome scribe's office. He did say he was a procurer and seller of oddments and magical items. The shop is empty of customers upon arrival and Geldavus comes out from the back wearing a heavy apron and thick goggles pushed up onto his forehead. "Ahh, my new friends, how are you? Was your first adventure a success? Did you bring back anything shiny for good Geldavus to take off your hands?" He smiles widely as he rubs his wide hands together.

OOC

This group has all the Pelor Stones but Hank's right?

Character Status

Alvan HP 10/10 || FP 10/10 || ER 8/8 | Power Item 8/8 || tired at 10pm

Emily HP 10/10 || FP 10/12 || ER 1/1 || 0-Enc 5/8, 1-Enc 4/7 || tired at 11pm

Fili HP 11/11 || FP 9/11 || 0-Enc 6/9, 1-Enc 4/8 || tired at 11pm

Harolde HP 12/12 || FP 7/14 || PI 3/3 || 2-Enc 4/7, 3-Enc 3/6 || tired at 11pm

Vidar HP 11/11 || FP 10/12 || 0-Enc 7/9, 1-Enc 6/8 || tired at 9pm

Edited by prophane (see edit history)

spacer.pngFili Kober

"It's good to see yer well after the earthquake, Mr Geldavus" Fili says with a smile. She takes the stone from her bag and passes it over to Alvan, then pointing with her eyes to direct Geldavus' gaze towards Alvan, she takes a step back and away from the bargaining. It's really not her thing.

OOC: All but Hank's, I believe. Richard gave his to Alvan already, and the rest of us are here in the shop.

Alvan, Hedge Wizardalvan-modified.png.bd83a3521f0e7ef2d486d0b76bad85bc.png

HP: 10/10 FP: 5/10 ER: 4/8 Conditions: None

Alvan steps forward, pausing to rub his hands against his robe, as if to dry them, before reaching out to offer a handshake to Geldavus.

"Pleasure to meet you, sir. The young folk told me you took good care of them before their jaunt out of the city! They told me you were the person to go to with any goods or rewards they received that needed liquidation, as they felt you were fair and honest with them on your first meeting."

Reaching down, he draws one of the stones from his pocket, and offers it to the man. "Looks like they did well enough. Their priest rewarded them with this...a stone, made by the priesthood, known as 'His Light Within'. It is enchanted, quite cleverly, to serve as a controllable light source, a stunning weapon, or a powerful healing implement. Are you familiar?"

Transitioning directly from idle chitchat, Alvan begins the back and forth of a traveling merchant.

Action: Alvan will surreptitiously cast Persuasion for +5 on his reaction roll, disguising the motion as rubbing his hands on his robe.
Communication and Empathy college - 2 prerequisites, effective skill 18 (subject to the rule of 16, depending on Geldavus's Will). Costs 9 energy for a +5 bonus, cast through his staff. 4 from ER, 5 from FP.

Persuasion

He would also get +1 to the reaction roll for having Merchant.

Name
Persuasion
3d6 5,2,3

Cost_of_Living_in_the_Free_City.pngLocation: Crinklequartz Scribe, Cooper Street, Artisans' Quarter, Domain of Greyhawk
Weather: Moderate, 63°, thick, low cloud cover, and mostly calm winds with moments of intense gusts

Geldavus Crinklequartz

attachment.php?attachmentid=107967&d=1669784061The Gnome narrows his eyes and looks at Alvan then at the Pelor Stone. "I have seen these before, passed out by the Priests of Pelor for some special task. I have heard it is bad luck to sell them, but I may be interested in buying them. How long ago did you receive them? Ahh, just 2 days ago. Hmmm," he mutters turning one of the Stones over in his hand. He pulls out some sort of strange looking magnifying glass and gazes at it some more. "Yes, yes, and you have 5 of them? I would like to buy them from you, though I do not have the cash on hand for all of them. I can pay you 500 in silver for two of them. I am hopeful that I COULD turn them all around within the next couple of days. Maybe we could come to some sort consignment deal? I will buy 2 of them upfront for 500 and then say we'll split the sale of the remaining ones? Does that seem reasonable?"

OOC

Character Status

Emily HP 10/10 || FP 10/12 || ER 1/1 || 0-Enc 5/8, 1-Enc 4/7 || tired at 11pm

Fili HP 11/11 || FP 9/11 || 0-Enc 6/9, 1-Enc 4/8 || tired at 11pm

Harolde HP 12/12 || FP 7/14 || PI 3/3 || 2-Enc 4/7, 3-Enc 3/6 || tired at 11pm

Vidar HP 11/11 || FP 10/12 || 0-Enc 7/9, 1-Enc 6/8 || tired at 9pm

Alvan, Hedge Wizardalvan-modified.png.6d22b450ad264cd12dc382cb8ff1abd7.png

HP: 10/10 FP: 5/10 ER: 4/8 Conditions: None

Alvan hems and haws for a moment, before nodding.

"Reasonable, very reasonable. Could we perhaps work out an accommodation? Two up front for coin. The remaining three in credit against your other goods and services? My young friends are new to the adventuring path, and from the looks of things, you would be a good provider for many of the various odds and ends that such adventurers need moving forward. After all, they are in need to trade goods, as well as writs, permits, documentation, and so on. So, 500 silver in coin, 750 in trade, for five stones transferred to you outright and in total."

If this is agreeable, Alvan offers his hand, shakes on it, and steps aside to let the others collect the coin and peruse merchandise.

Action: So that would be 2 sold outright for $500, with 3 traded for $750 credit.

Geldavus Crinklequartz

attachment.php?attachmentid=107967&d=1669784061Geldavus strokes his white beard, one eye closed, head cocked to the side, a quiet humming sound, almost a purr, can be heard coming from his throat. "Ahh, you drive a hard bargain, Alvan. I am amenable to the first half of your offer, 500 silver now for the two stones, though I cannot make promises on the sale price of the remainder. As I said, I will offer to put them on consignment. If they sell, I will split the amount with you. And if you want store credit instead, I can most definitely work with you, make it worth your while. But I cannot guarantee that I can sell these stones. I have heard that some folk will buy them on the secondary market, but typically these things, most religious items and boons, are taken as gifts or rewards, and many folk consider buying and selling them a bit of a sacrilege, and will have nothing to do with it. These Stones pose an additional hiccup as they have an hourglass slowly draining, their value will be zero in just over a week. As a young adventurer, I would have jumped at the opportunity to have such an item in my possession, I am actually surprised to see you all selling them off." He fumbles with some things on his workbench. "So, 500 silver now, and we split whatever else I am able to sell the others for, deal?" He sticks out his stubby but wide hand in Alvan's direction.

OOC

Character Status

Emily HP 10/10 || FP 12/12 || ER 1/1 || 0-Enc 5/8, 1-Enc 4/7 || tired at 11pm

Fili HP 11/11 || FP 11/11 || 0-Enc 6/9, 1-Enc 4/8 || tired at 11pm

Harolde HP 12/12 || FP 14/14 || PI 3/3 || 2-Enc 4/7, 3-Enc 3/6 || tired at 11pm

Vidar HP 11/11 || FP 12/12 || 0-Enc 7/9, 1-Enc 6/8 || tired at 9pm

spacer.pngFili Kober

Fili turns to Harolde. "I reckon he'll sell the ones he bought off us first," Fili adds. "Seems ta me we'd be better off just taking the others wit us, and mebbe stopping back to see if he kin use more. Then they's wun't go bad sitting in the shop."

OOC: Dangit, b10

Edited by hakootoko (see edit history)