Spire Dormitory

hoverfrog

12 hours ago, farothel said:

just to let you guys know I'll be away from this Saturday until the 12th of January.  I should have internet access during my holiday, but I might be a bit slower to respond.  And I'll be offline during the travel days.

I think everything will slow down over the Christmas and New Year period but thanks for the warning.

detect magic on the snake,

Since the Setting is likely to involve a lot of Detect Magic, I thought this might be a good opportunity to review that spell in PF2e.

The spell's effect is a 30' emanation - described as a pulse - centered on the caster. So one doesn't really cast Detect Magic (DM) on something.

• As a 1st or 2nd level (rank) spell, the information gleaned is only a 'yes' or 'no' to whether a magical effect exists within 30' of the caster. No information on where or direction; what type or form; whether multiple instances etc. Illusions are detected only if their spell level (rank) is lower than the DM casting.
  • As a 3rd level spell, one can discern the 'school' of the highest level effect within range (again, detecting illusions only if their level is lower than the DM). IN THE REMASTER (p. 323), one learns only the rank of the highest ranking effect within range and, again, illusions detected only if of a lower rank than the DM.
  • As a 4th level (rank) spell, one can determine the square (5' cube volume) in which the most powerful magical effect exists (ditto vis-a-vis illusions).

There is a codicil that one can ignore known magical effects on oneself or one's allies.

So a 1st level (rank) DM really cannot detect any illusions since they'd at least be of the same level as the 1st level DM. So if the snake is under an illusion effect, we can't determine this as yet (just as Kraawkaw's casting DM in his room would not reveal any illusions therein). To be honest, I was really more curious to learn whether the spell would even go off or, maybe sound an alarm. We haven't been briefed really on the rules and limits on casting at the Magaambya.

If the snake had some other magical effect on it, one wouldn't know from the DM detection whether that effect was on the snake or Teacher Ot (or both) or a sconce or ... though there are ways to triangulate with multiple simultaneous casters.

Anyway, hope this is helpful: not trying to be pedantic. Just figured this sort of spell interpretation issue would arise sooner or later. And, of course, perhaps I'm misinterpreting something.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

12 hours ago, farothel said:

yeah, but if I exclude you and the teacher, the only thing I will get is the snake, right

As I understand the RAW, one can only exclude magical effects that one knows. You can't exclude "those guys" or "that statue" in general. So Teacher Ot would have to tell you of each and every magical effect on his person.

But let's suppose Player M asks their party and interlocutor about all magical effects on their persons.

Player M, thinking that the snake might be magical, casts DM.

GM: You detect magic within 30' of you.

Player M can infer that the snake is the likely source, but one doesn't actually know this. There might be other, unknown magical effects in the area. Maybe a sconce is magical (like the baths). Maybe a student in their room within 30' has a magical item or effect ongoing. Or ... whatever.  I suppose one might move to 29' from the snake; cast and, if magic is detected, move 2' farther to 31' from the snake and cast again. If no magic is detected then the case is fairly strong.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, only pointing out the distinction between what information the spell actually provides and our attempts to make deductions from that information.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)