Character Creation Discussion Thread

21 minutes ago, Saberfan said:

All Paizo classes with a Spheres conversion are acceptable so long as the appropriate Spheres archetypes- or in the case of Kineticist, variant classes- are implemented first.

Cool, thanks.

@Saberfan

Toying with a couple of ideas

First, how do you feel about a Collective Wraith? Playing a literal mook squad could be a lot of fun.

Edit: Am I allowed to make a second race for my cohorts from the Leadership sphere?

Secondly you mentioned allowing the Starfinder class conversions on the Spheres Wiki so long as they took archetypes to convert them into spheres characters. I'm not seeing any archetypes for that anywhere. Were you referring to the spheres rules for trading spellcasting or character progression feats for spheres progression?

Edited by Mister Doctor (see edit history)

How do knowledge skills interact with the multiverse setting?

I mean, my character has good reasons to take more than decent knowledge skills for her homeworld, but no reason to have them apply for the rest of the multiverse(in fact shes supposed to be incompetent in this area).

I was thinking, given the infinite number of worlds, would it be possible to take lore (my homeworld) as a catch all for every knowledge skill? enough to tell it's history, the nobles, religion, nature ecc but limited to her own homeworld

Okay, time to own my 'noob to Spheres' side a bit. I get that Special Attack Actions are a Standard Action. And Attack Action in general is a standard action. So Charge and sphere effects don't play nice? Hasn't come up for me before but with Doc focusing on movement wanna be sure

17 minutes ago, Inquisitor D said:

Okay, time to own my 'noob to Spheres' side a bit. I get that Special Attack Actions are a Standard Action. And Attack Action in general is a standard action. So Charge and sphere effects don't play nice? Hasn't come up for me before but with Doc focusing on movement wanna be sure

By default, yes, but you can take Skillful Charge from the Athletics sphere, which lets you make an attack action in place of the normal charge attack

7 minutes ago, Laird Ichofox said:

By default, yes, but you can take Skillful Charge from the Athletics sphere, which lets you make an attack action in place of the normal charge attack

Thank you. I have to kick myself for this - Athletics is straight up Doc's main sphere and I still missed that. Time for fun with movement!

Yeah Spheres is hyper-focused around single-attacking (and the wording is confusing), though note that often still full-attacks just do more damage anyway. The benefit is that Spheres gives you more flexibility, particularly in being able to move and still attack (though it also offers a few good options for free- or swift-action movement, or pounce).

Charging in PF is not what it once was, but Skilful Charge looks like a useful thing for anyone already building around attack actions since you get the AB bonus still and can move further with a charge. If I were focusing on charging I'd probably be riding something and using a lance and/or getting pounce at which point this isn't good any more.

*nods* I'd been considering Pummelling Charge, but I can move away from that pretty easily. In my case, I'm using Diving Attack: a charge variant that lets me deal falling damage to an opponent and Overhead Flip that lets me flank a target with myself. I have Flurry for Full Attacks, it's a useful option, but ideally that's something I pull once there are other PCs in melee ready to flank properly.

Yeah, even though it's ambiguous by RAW, I don't think Pummelling Charge will work with Skilful Charge. Personally, I'd prefer Pummelling though - Pounce is great. I generally dislike Style feats (they eat a swift action just to activate them, and then many are just... quite bad) but Pummelling is pretty decent.

Are the Origins talents available in this game? The guidelines say that "all spheres content" is available (except the Bear sphere) but there's no information on how it interacts with the RP system.

So it's explicitly called out that Striker's AC Bonus stacks with Unarmored Training (here in an AMA by the devs and here again on the wiki page), but not with other AC bonuses like Monk's. This makes sense of course, but my question is: does Unarmed Training stack with the Entropic Sage's AC bonus (which is essentially identical to Striker's) given they are two different types of bonus (armor vs untyped)? My Spherecasting Mod is likely to wind up higher than my Con Mod since I will be using magic a lot, but I want to be certain about this. Given the precedent, I think it ought to, but others/the GM may disagree so I'm putting it here.

Additional Question: The Hedgewitch's Umbral Path gives me the Shadowstuff class feature (the same as the Fey Adept class). Does this mean I treat my Hedgewitch level as my Fey Adept level for the purposes of the Shadowmark portion of this feature? The Hedgewitch Path doesn't specify.

... This damage improves by 1d6 for every odd level the fey adept possesses, to a maximum of 10d6 at 19th level. The Will penalty increases to -2 at 7th level, -3 at 13th level, and -4 at 19th level.

Edited by Faeryl_ (see edit history)

The DM has of course final say, but here are my 2c :

1/ based on what I remember from the Spheres' Discord, Entropic Sage AC Bonus is like the Monk AC Bonus and doesn't stack with Unarmored Training.
It's not like the Striker feature which is capped by level.

2/ Yes, you get all Shadowstuff, including Shadowmark and its progression, tied to your Hedgewitch level.

12 hours ago, Faeryl_ said:

So it's explicitly called out that Striker's AC Bonus stacks with Unarmored Training (here in an AMA by the devs and here again on the wiki page), but not with other AC bonuses like Monk's. This makes sense of course, but my question is: does Unarmed Training stack with the Entropic Sage's AC bonus (which is essentially identical to Striker's) given they are two different types of bonus (armor vs untyped)? My Spherecasting Mod is likely to wind up higher than my Con Mod since I will be using magic a lot, but I want to be certain about this. Given the precedent, I think it ought to, but others/the GM may disagree so I'm putting it here.

Striker stands alone with its AC Bonus, as it's a non-scaling bonus, capped by class level, and works with armor (light by default, but striker arts allow it to work with heavier). It's primarily that lack of scaling with level that allows the Unarmored Training to work, which does scale with level. It's honestly a weird exception, and one that I half suspect will be reworked if/when we finally get USoM.

Entropic Sage's AC bonus is bog-standard Monk AC, complete with scaling as you gain levels. This is why Unarmored Training does not work - you don't get to have two separate sources of scaling AC growth.