Redemption - OOC Thread (Players only)

12 minutes ago, Varen Tai said:

First off, it's still dark. Dawn is just barely peeking over the sky. Definitely not broad daylight.

Secondly, there are scattered trees and hills not too far away, like the trees y'all are currently in. There are definitely hiding spots.

Thirdly, the dragon was clearly not searching a small area, else she'd still be circling.

Thanks for the clarification.

25 minutes ago, Varen Tai said:

The dragonfear is a dead giveaway. That hit all of you before you even had an inkling she was close. If she was circling, you'd be able to feel her.

Let's break down your statement, as it opens up a discussion about potential metagaming:

- If our characters in the game are familiar with dragons and dragonfear, it's reasonable for them to understand the signs of a dragon's presence, such as feeling fear or sensing its approach. This knowledge could be based on experiences within the game world or established lore.

- The mention of "if she was circling, you'd be able to feel her" suggests an in-game understanding of typical dragon behavior, assuming this knowledge is common within the game's lore.

It's worth noting that aside from Torben or Ragz, nobody has directly experienced Dragonfear from an ancient dragon before (I assume), and it's unlikely that anyone possesses comprehensive knowledge about its nature or facts. Therefore, it's understandable why other characters might react with fear or uncertainty—they're sensing a predator's presence without knowing its exact location. Is the dragon still around? It's something they should wonder might they feel a fear aura or not, except if they have extensive knowledge about dragon fear aura and how it function and are able to rationalize.

Rather than needing to backtrack scenes, it might feel more natural for Ragz or Torben to clarify the situation to the group and calm our horses, to make us understand that we are not in danger anymore (and why). Some characters are ignorant or fearful of the unknown, which adds depth to their personalities. I prefer characters with flaws or misconceptions over those who seem too perfect (like Mary Sues). While dragons are part of common folklore, detailed academic knowledge about them is likely rare within the game world.

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

Aly would know second hand knowledge of dragons from all the songs, sagas and studies. Nothing specific on dragonfear other than it exists and grows in area depending on age and size. She also has a more undiluted knowledge of one particular dragon (that dragon is now dead and not a green)

9 hours ago, Wizard of the Coat said:

"An ancient dragon seeks a stray black dog."

I'll fetch the catapult.

@Varen Tai (as time permits) -- lots of big names and organizations being mentioned. Please let me know if Yope recognizes anything from one of Dillworthy's endless lecturing.

6 minutes ago, Rumrunner said:

So... I don't see how an ancient green dragon applies to ragz's story. Am I missing something?

There's nothing remarkable about Ragz or Torben to merit being hunted by an Ancient Green (unless she's really bored or ill... or it really is about Torben's trek to the glacier, forgot about that). There's something insanely unusual about the dog, with evidence of it being hunted, making it a more reasonable target for the green than either humanoid.

Edited by PixCO (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, Rumrunner said:

So they just be chasin' black haired biatches in general then...

Somewhere in an alternate universe this scene ends with the Ancient Green landing in the clearing right now, saying "Can I have my dog back? Please? Thank you." and then flies off to never be heard from again.

Meanwhile I'm still trying to figure out how we can feed the Ancient Green to the even bigger, scarier Blue that's close by. I'd like to hear about this Lady F./Fell Blackeye coincidence first, though.

13 minutes ago, PixCO said:

Somewhere in an alternate universe this scene ends with the Ancient Green landing in the clearing right now, saying "Can I have my dog back? Please? Thank you." and then flies off to never be heard from again.

People at work were looking at me with a lot of questions on their faces when I started laughing out loud at my desk.

Edited by Harding (see edit history)

This doesn't add anything to the OOC conversation, but I was in the same mental/writer's camp as Harding when I started reading up on IC posts this morning.

(It's good to hear you're not alone when you drop some info out there. In this case, I don't have much more to add just that I agree.)

For the record, I like exposition, especially when the writing is fun. Ragz's story telling is great. Rillik deals with stress by being busy, this... well she'll find something to keep herself busy either way.

She would know the names and main portfolio of pretty much all... but histories, origins, main worship centers would be limited to the more well known gods. The ones she would know most about would be Mieliki (that's the one she grew up "worshipping" and by extension Lurue), Finder Wyvernspur (what bard doesn't know of him), Ohgma (knowledge is power), Bane and X'vim (family history), Mystra and Lliira (with as many festivals Aly has played at)

4 minutes ago, Civit said:

She would know the names and main portfolio of pretty much all... but histories, origins, main worship centers would be limited to the more well known gods. The ones she would know most about would be Mieliki (that's the one she grew up "worshipping" and by extension Lurue), Finder Wyvernspur (what bard doesn't know of him), Ohgma (knowledge is power), Bane and X'vim (family history), Mystra and Lliira (with as many festivals Aly has played at)

Mieliki was his heir, right. She absorbed his followers after he fell. Aly probably wouldn't know much about what came after?