Chapter 4: When Worlds Collide

Powderhorn

Summer - Day 45 - Harbortown

spacer.png

Having made their return from the haunted castle, treasure in tow, the group begins planning their next journey - resting and recovering while looking at maps being made in situ.

Rather earlier than you had anticipated, you see the Fortune returning to you - however, she seems to come from the east rather than the west.

"Captain" John Hurley, of what is aspirationally termed the militia, calls out the local defenses to prepare - either in salute or to repel. Muskets are unloaded, but cartridge boxes weigh heavy. Bayonets remain affixed.

As the Fortune slows and drops anchor, you see familiar faces manning the vessel, and unfamiliar faces as well - including a dwarf and a halfling.

As people disembark, the militia raise their weapons in salute, having determined there is no cause for violence today. The dwarf, Karadoon; the halfling, Greta; and previously unmet humans Iphigenia and Brother Langdon all disembark.

It does not take long for the tale of the journey to spread: Having been blown off course shortly after departing, the Fortune spotted another ship in the distance and followed, being unaware of any other expeditions to these waters. Closing the vessel, they found heavily armed pirates, seemingly on an expedition of their own, and through skillful shiphandling and quite a bit of luck, managed to escape. However, rather than continue westward as was the plan, instead charted a course to find where these pirates may have been sailing.

In time, they discovered another vessel docked by a forest - the Havenwood Union that Greta hails from and represents. Looking for allies against a dark elf hegemony, the Fortune was willing to ferry this diplomatic mission back to Harbortown. However, knowing that pirates now sail these waters, it seems unlikely this Glowing Expanse is going to remain so isolated from Kelmar for long.

spacer.pngShe knew that she would miss the Philadelphia and, above all, its crew. But the Fortune had proven a faster, far more comfortable vessel. Now, after several days at sea, she was glad to be back on dry land and safe at her destination, despite the pirates.

She had offered formal introductions where necessary following their disembarking. To any who wished to know, she gave her name, position and lineage: Iphigenia, midshipwoman of the Philadelphia, scion of the Ines clan, citizen of Southland, and, most recently, emissary of the Havenwood Union. That last one she was less sure about, and looked to Greta nervously as if seeking her approval, but she thought that Fennel was a practical halfling. He wouldn't have minded. After all, they would need all the help they could get if they were to seek alliances, and a touch of pomp and authority couldn't hurt.

Presently, she sought the company of some locals, taking the time to study any maps of the region they may have at hand. She listened to all they had to say, absorbing information like a sponge did water.

OOC

Feel free to assume that Iphigenia has given her name to enough people so as to assume that all PCs know it at this point.

Stavard offers a firm handshake.

You find us in a strange land indeed, and we have just borne witness to stranger events in an old castle with restless dead ensepulchered within. I have got the tale of your arrival. If it's alliances you want, we cannot offer much out of necessity - Hurley's lot is about the sum of the muscle we got and we've no ocean-going ships to speak of besides that Fortune there which is of dubious ownership and obligation herself.

Still, we must hang together or else hang separately. How far is your settlement from here, if you can tell?

And how well settled are you with how many people under arms? We are spread thin if what I guess is true. And there are perils here that we are yet to understand. Beasts out of legend, no doubt more cursed ruins, horrors manifold that lurk in the forests and mists beyond our fence.

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

Karadoon, sullen as always while shipbound, was delighted to move off the boat behind Iphigenia.

"If nothing else, at least your pirates in these parts are alive when they chase you. Puts you far sight ahead of us. I am Karadoon of the Stone Eye clan. And you are correct in your assessment, our only hope lies in joining what strength we have.

We are not a large settlement, we might be two dozen strong if there have been no deaths while we were off exploring. Greta is our map expert, perhaps this evening we can settle in together and update all of our maps so that each party in this alliance has an equal share in the knowledge?"

Karadoon extended his hand to Stavard as he spoke.

Hands shook, Stavard brings them in what passes as headquarters in the settlement.

He pulls out the maps, once of the wider world and several of the island.... We've mostly kept to ourselves, but seems like our choice in that matter is subject to imminent abnegation as they say.

Stavard had only heard the word abnegation once and that from a bo'sun who had "procured via unofficial channels" a large fancy dictionary and had been reading it while thoroughly intoxicated in the gunner's mess. But he did like the ring of it.

https://i.imgur.com/yEtP2ZH.png

https://i.imgur.com/2yLv1pR.png

https://i.imgur.com/9BkaBog.png

Note that these are from the setting info tab.

spacer.pngIphigenia listens with interest whilst also studying the maps, and her mind tries to form a consolidated image of what she knows already, and the new information-and materials-that Stavard is freely (and generously) sharing.

"Restless dead, you said?" she remarks suddenly, as if she had forgotten about it as Karadoon spoke, but has now recalled it. She turns to give a meaningful side-glance to the dwarf and to Greta, and hesitates for a moment, thinking that her question (and by extension, herself) would be perceived as strange... but she asks anyway, because knowledge matters more to her than first impressions-at least presently.

"I don't suppose any of you tried talking to them?"

OOC

Perhaps this is asking for too much, but would it be possible to consolidate game maps from the two games now that everyone's together? Not sure if this would require downtime or a roll, but I'd be happy to do either, or both, if necessary.

Beitris smiled shyly and talked for the first time. "Hi...I'm Beitris. We did talk to one of the...undead...she said a bunch of crazy things about needing to kill dark elves, before attacking us. She was not very nice about it." She shifted the rifle and shotgun on her shoulders as she talked, and shuffled her weight from her left to her right. She tried to keep eye contact, but her eyes would betray her and look to the ground. "We responded as you could imagine...also not kindly."

brother_koji.png.db3e3bb099e1b76d282b3e6b702cc501.pngBrother Koji 

A short while after you disembark what appears to be a local craftsman appears, he smiles jovially to you all introducing himself as Brother Koji Tanaka.

"We have encountered many people who appear to be no longer living, by our standards, and we have been calling them the undead, or unliving until we know more about them"

Smiling "You saw pirates, and are from another expedition, it was wise to seek out others, So far we have not only seen the unliving, but also a giant flying lizard, that breathes a cloud of incendiary gas. it might be prudent to share maps and knowledge, please come, and blessing of the father unto you and yours "The blessing is said with conviction, but lacks the formality or rigidity of the Surgere priesthood.

OOC, Mechanics

Koji is an open book, feel free to ask him anything, and read the character post.

Stavard paced back and forth but his voice was calm and his demeanor steady.

You say that we are allied and I suppose that might well be the case. But allied with you and who else and more crucially against whom are we arrayed? It is a terrible thing to make war but if that is what we must do then the tale is already told.

Lay out the factions for us, and we can make a decision. I will warn you that I am loathe to strip this settlement of the militia or indeed of more than a few sailors or warriors but perhaps a concordance of mutual benefit can be arranged.

spacer.pngShe bowed courteously to the offering of blessings, though she knew precious little about this "father"... she would have to inquire more later. Presently, more pressing matters were at hand.

She first answered to Beitris.

"Then your encounter did not go that much differently from ours, though I could not speak to them. But what I can tell you points to the same conclusion: for a scouting party encountered restless spirits, but those attacked their dark elf enemies when they were given the choice. I suspect that the dead have long memories, and an oath of vengeance that is as yet unfulfilled. Perhaps it is foolhardy, but I wonder if they too can be turned towards the same cause..."

That, of course, seemed like a tall order. And so she turned to Stavard next, suspecting that he would not take such plans all too seriously.

"The Havenwood Union sent us, though this was not meant to be our destination. They are an enclave of halflings; Greta can tell you more, I am sure... Their numbers are few, but they should not be underestimated: we saw them neutralize a Maliente patrol with nothing but cunning. Still, there are others... not least of which the elves' orcish thralls. I have not encountered them directly... but intercepted messages suggest that they are on the brink of rebellion. The time is ripe for it, and if we could convey promises of support from the motherland, then perhaps we could secure another vital ally."

9 hours ago, Vladim said:

Still, there are others... not least of which the elves' orcish thralls

At this Stavard spits on the ground. It is a foul thing to enslave another. That draws me into this more than anything else said so far.

As for what you say of the ghosts, land and spirit are intertwined and have memories unceasing. I do not think we can or even should bind the dead to our service and I do not speak from a sailor's superstition although that is something I do possess in considerable quantities. So we got you, the halflings, and the orc thralls, and then there's us.

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

Karadoon, nodded as Iphigenia spoke.

"There are yet two more bands upon this land at least. We met a dog faced short statured tribe. We judged them to be cruel and violent. We were ambushed immediately upon our first contact. Prior to that we found a wooden box that could be mistaken for a coffin. But it had a small air hole. Inside was a dead dog faced creature. Our best guess was that he was buried alive to suffocate slowly. This was very close to the encampment of dog faces which we found. Our scout reported hundreds of campfires, so they must be fairly numerous.

The Maliente are allied with, apparently, dark dwarves. Dark in both nature and appearance. They lent much aid to the Maliente during their wars to exterminate our ancestors. These Dwarves dwell deep if I understand what was told to me.

We have indirect knowledge of a fourth group, nomads of some sort. Our elvish companion was able to communicate to the trees, so she said, and learned of them. They shelter in a forest for the winter near where we saw the Dragun. The flying lizard which you saw, though I had not known it could breathe fire. We saw it carry off a horse, the way an eagle would a rabbit. It flew into the mountains near to where we found this orc armory. I presume it is a fully functional outpost, the weapons and armor seemed of good quality. And possibly being stock piled in secret.

Stavard, all of your leaders should come with us to the chamber of the oracle. The ancestors to all of us here left some sort of magical chamber. It has spirits which awaken and speak to you in your tongue. About your history. We learned much. It cannot tell us anything of what happened after our ancestors fled. At least, it does not seem capable of doing so. We only visited once before the magic gave out. Our elvish companion said the magic therein would refresh itself after a time. We should try it again.

I believe our ancestors fled this land and lied to their progeny about where we came from. I think it was done to keep us from looking back here, to the place of our almost extinction. I suspect that elves and the wizards of the tower keep some of this knowledge alive. Perhaps some few of my elders are also privy, I can not say for sure. All of our peoples were driven from here at the brink of total extinction. If we go back with news that another war is in the offing, I cannot say what reception we will get.

We had talked with the halfling leader, Fennel, about aiding the rebellion indirectly. Assisting and supporting without making it obvious we have joined the fray. Such action might keep the Maliente focus off us, as I am certain our numbers here could not withstand a dedicated assault. I feel it would be a wiser course than opposing them openly."

brother_koji.png.db3e3bb099e1b76d282b3e6b702cc501.pngBrother Koji 

Koji nods along to the suggestions made by the Dwarf, "What was his name Karadoon?"
"You seem to have travelled and done so much, how long have you been here?"

"As to the various unliving that we have spoken with they seem to support the idea, that there was a great war fought here, and our races dispersed from this place, but they also lacked information about where we had dispersed too"

he nods to Karadoon

"I think visiting the oracle, and shoring up our defences would be prudent" Turning to Stavard "your thoughts?"

Stavard was not quite sure to make of all this mess. Tendrils interwoven like a madman's hallucination of being tangled in the web of a great spider. No matter, one step at a time.

Information is useful. Although I do not trust the voices of the departed much, it is still something that may be of use to us. Perhaps a trip to the oracle would be good to get started on this new journey.

We can run weapons to the rebels and support them on raids. The cutting-off way of the small bands of tribesmen, bandits, and woodsfolk alilke.

In our dealings with this threat that I fear will spread like a septic contagion I think the Pirate's code actually has the right of it. Take what you can, give nothing back.

Greta Starling - Halfling Linguist

Greta Starling

In heavily accented common, Greta speaks up to offer what insight she can. "Though I may be too bold, please allow me to offer the perspective of the Havenwood Union. We are familiar to these lands, having been here as long as time remembers. The dragons, so to call them, were not here always, according to works of the Maliente, but our own records are scant having had to flee our own homes in years lost to time."

"The dragons themselves have had a strange effect. It is possible to move through the open, but only in small groups that can hide from the air - this affects all, and only allows for small groups to journey. Thus, distance and dragons have allowed us to keep our people alive from the Maliente, who in turn would see us extinguished. It sounds, too, that that antipathy extends further to your people as well."

"We are of course interested in finding our original homes, but the Maliente have had their hungry eyes set upon us for as long as we know. We suspect that they, too, were the cause of our people's original displacement - and perhaps yours as well."

"While I can understand a desire for exploration, I fear what may happen if the Maliente fuse their magicks with what technology you bring as they become more exposed to it and learn from it."