Chapter 4: When Worlds Collide

Powderhorn

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

"Beitris, do you think such a thing as Greta infers could be done with rifles? I have no real experience with them, though the individual parts seem within my skill as a blacksmith to forge. A fearsome thought.

Koji, such a trip would be better undertaken sooner rather than later. As you know doubt know, it gets bitterly cold in these new lands. And we should appraise our own people of our new allies. Mayhap it would also put us in the right area to watch the orcs some more and plan our contact, if we decide to aid their rebellion."

spacer.pngIphigenia nodded as Karadoon spoke. "Indeed it is so. Many possible paths lie ahead, and many choices must be made, but all paths and all plans must share one thing in common: they must be taken swiftly. The gears are turning already, and we cannot afford to waste any days in idle ponderings or useless wanderings.

The time to act is now, and time may prove the most crucial consideration."

She turned to Greta. There was one question that had long lingered at the back of her mind, almost since the Philadelphia had cast its anchor into the waters of the halflings' harbour. Now was the perfect time to ask it.

"Why haven't the dragons attacked any of the villages? If what tales have reached my ears are true, then they could easily obliterate entire cities: not just travelling companies in the wilds."

5 hours ago, thesloth said:

Beitris, do you think such a thing as Greta infers could be done with rifles?

Stavard speaks up. The key ingredient, gunpowder, is not so hard to make with resources at hand and has plenty of thoroughly nasty applications in the craft of war.

5 minutes ago, Vladim said:

"Why haven't the dragons attacked any of the villages? If what tales have reached my ears are true, then they could easily obliterate entire cities: not just travelling companies in the wilds."

Who knows...? Perhaps they fear organized resistance from a village, perhaps there is an ancient and unspoken covenant with regards to what is and is not their domain, perhaps they do not see the villages as their territory or need the food and resources there. But then again this phony truce could rupture at any moment in a cavalcade of fire.

Stavard paces back and forth for a time, then concludes,

My proposal is that we journey to the oracle. From then, we can support the orcs or the halfings given which seems more provident to be aiding at the time we must make such a decision...

spacer.pngIphigenia listened. It could, of course, be just as Stavard said, but the answer did little to satisfy or reassure her. She had considered such possibilities as well, but she was uncomfortable with the uncertainty. Could anyone guarantee that they would not one day return to ruins?

She wondered what Greta thought, and as if to chase away any grim possibilities, she added, mainly to Karadoon, but also any who could answer it.

"How many days to the Oracle at this time of year, you think?"

Greta Starling - Halfling Linguist

Greta Starling

"The Halflings of the Havenwood Union build in trees specifically to mask against the dragons. I understand that the orcs were in a mountain. I am, in truth, unaware of anyone who lives in visibility from the sky - for long, anyway," Greta says solemnly.

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

"Once we make land, I suspect we would be a three day hike or so to get to the Oracle. Speaking of which, there is something else that makes haste a good idea.

We were ambushed by a Maliente patrol and killed two of the three. I believe I mentioned this before. The third we took prisoner, and in the hopes of not starting a war we tried to explain that we thought the attack by their people was an accident. We left the hostage alive as a gesture of good faith and offered to meet the Maliente, though we did not even know their name, to discuss trade and peace.

We named a spot where we have a small trade outpost being built. Our intent was to gather fur and lumber and such, conduct trade there, and keep the other peoples away from our actual dwellings. The date to meet the Maliente is about 4 weeks from now. Knowing what we know now, perhaps we should leave right away, pull down our outpost, think of some way to look like we fell victim to misfortune.

We could burn everything, leave a few small bones behind. Make it look like a dragon. Come to think of it, the dragons may already have found it. We didn't think to place it under the trees...."

brother_koji.png.db3e3bb099e1b76d282b3e6b702cc501.pngBrother Koji 

Brother Koji sits and listens while carving a piece of wood, "Do we know the Dark elves' numbers, their bases of operation, and thinks of that ilk? Perhaps some reconnaissance can also be done, whilst those that go to the oracle do so."

Koji turns to Greta "How many can travel safely so as not to be seen by the dragons, given your experiences so far?"

Ever practical, and protective of the villages, he ponders for the moment, "Stavard, we need to see to the safety of our village, the rope and rigging of the camouflage netting, should be placed higher in priorities it seems"

spacer.pngShe nodded in agreement to good Brother Koji's suggestion, and offered what little she could give: her hands and time to the task.

"I will help, if you will command me. Speed is important, but so is the safety of these settlements."

Then, turning to the dwarf, she continued.

"Were you of a mind to stay true to the promised meeting? Perhaps we can still parlay with them, and further probe their intentions and their numbers, though we should be prepared for another fight. I do not wish to leave anything to chance."

Greta Starling - Halfling Linguist

Greta Starling

"Please understand that I am not a seasoned long hunter, however in general, I understand about half a dozen with some degree of confidence can travel freely, and while the numbers can be increased, so too does the likelihood of detection from above," Greta says to Brother Koji. "A dozen would be a calculated risk, and a score would be a matter of urgency or desperation."

Karadoon
bZsmmIb.png

"I am of a divided mind on this point, Iphigenia.

I do not like breaking my word even though it becomes clear the Maliente could not be trusted. Nor am I comfortable with dealing with them under false pretenses. This sort of double dealing, as I call it, will cause much strife in it's own right. Especially if we need other people here to trust us later.

My gut tells me the larger our presence the more likely we are to draw the Maliente's full attention. I do not believe we can broker peace with them without holding the upper hand militarily. The best course there seems to be erasing our presence and operating from a hidden place until we achieve such strength.

That will not make us look like trustworthy allies in the future. I see hazards in every course we might take."

spacer.pngIphigenia fell silent for a while, contemplating Karadoon's words and weighing risk against reward. Her information was limited, insufficient for the task, but so was everyone else's. It was difficult to reach a decision with confidence.

"I shall defer to the group." she said at length, finding no better answer.

But that was not all. Her past had taught her enough to at least warn Karadoon (and the rest of them) about what they should realistically expect.

"I was born and raised in the Southland, and count myself a lesser scion of the nobility. I cannot tell you much about these lands, but I can tell you this, and tell it with confidence: the game is played with ruthless determination and no mercy. I do not love the game, be it in politics or war, but whatever we do-be it double-dealings, fomenting an uprising, or gathering allies, the time will come when hard choices will need to be made. Hesitation can and might prove lethal.

We may want to keep our hands clean and our consciences quiet in all of this business, but that may yet prove impossible if we want to secure that upper hand."

Koji cleared his throat, drawing the attention of the group. "Friends," he began, his voice steady and calm, "before we proceed, there are crucial aspects we must consider."

"Firstly, we must reflect on our principles and honour. The teachings of the Father reminds us that we should be truthful and honourable in our dealings with others. How do you align your actions with your beliefs, even when faced with those who may not share our values?" Koji’s eyes held a deep wisdom, born of years tending to both the spiritual and practical needs of his community.

"Secondly, we must clarify our objectives in dealing with the Maliente. What exactly do we hope to achieve? Is it mere survival, coexistence, or something more?" He paused, allowing the weight of his words to sink in.

"Furthermore, we must acknowledge the reputation of the Maliente. They are known to be ruthless and murderous. How do we approach them with caution yet maintain our integrity and purpose?" There was a subtle firmness in his tone, a testament to his experience in navigating such treacherous waters.

"And lastly," Koji continued, "we must consider the new dynamics at play. Several groups have joined together this day, bringing with them their own strengths and perspectives. How might we leverage this newfound diversity in our dealings with the Maliente?"

Seems like there is really only one way to go about this. Bleed 'em until they give it up. Start slow and gather some information but never lose sight of our aims.

We should leave early tomorrow for the Oracle if that is still our first goal. Must not miss our tide.

"Not quite what I said, but do we even know the numbers of the Maliente, are they a Nation-state, or just a band of ruffians, I think initial first contact might need to be handled differently that perhaps a gun-ho nature might bring to bear" he turns to look at the others "did we tell you of our other companion who hit an obelisk and an unliving shepherdess and several spirit sheep killed him, no? perhaps it could be used as a parable or some such..."