Chapter Eight: Castle in the Clouds

codexgigas

tumblr_pai35mapsx1s1nfszo1_1280.jpgAubryn Grace

AC: 21 | Hit Points: 105/105 | Passive Perception: 14 | Init: +0

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unwavering Mark: 5/5 | Precise Strike: 2/3 | Rallying Command: 2/3 | Warding Maneuver: 4/4

Skills | Saves | Features

Aubryn frowns at Alura's words. She says, "So you are saying we should torture her by leaving her alive by leaving her in disgrace? That is cruel and unfitting of a Knight of Solomnia. I do not seek anything 'worse' than a quick death. I was looking for a merciful way to keep her from leading these cultists or coming back to kill us later. I will not have it on my conscience."

She moves to kill the bound half-dragon unless stopped.

As they move to the next chamber, Aubryn nods at the storeroom. She says, "I don't think we need to search the storeroom. Let's keep going."

She points to the room in the corner (room 12) to head towards next.

Tabletop

I don't need this to be a thing, but the way Alura described it is we are almost punishing Rezmir more by keeping her alive. Like disfiguring someone so she can live each day in humiliation. That's just cruel, and there's no chance a knight would go along with that. Killing them would be a mercy. If Alura insists on keeping Rezmir alive, I'm not going to argue. But she will knock her unconscious. The sleep spell doesn't last long enough and she might wake up and raise a fuss.

image.png.4e5d5a99c665d79a45fd0cf2a3559d5e.pngAlura Sajon LG Human Wizard [8]
HP 45 | AC 13/16 | Init +3 | Perception 19 | Investigation 23

Alura tells her companions, "Then lets kill her, but we do it in front of everyone. No more hiding and skulking around. We walk her out in the courtyard we were just in and call everyone's attention to Rezmir's defeat and behead her in front of all witnesses. That is more honorable of us than ending of her life here like we are Assassins." She would not budge on this issue: either they leave her humiliated and defeat but alive, or they take her out in the courtyard in front of the entire cult and end her life mercifully with a beheading.

OoC

Thanks for the magic item, I will mark it on my character sheet.

I understand your all's concerns and I was just looking for a way to maximize our defeat of Rezmir as the cult leader. If she lost face with the Dark Queen and the cultist then maybe that would be a boon for us as we continue to move throughout the castle. We gain nothing here if we don't make an example out of her. Either we humiliate her or we kill her in the open to show our strength and power. Because of our small numbers we need some from of psychological advantage in dealing with this cults large numbers. They need to fear us or getting out alive is going to be even harder than when we walked into this place.

Edited by rauhric (see edit history)

image.jpegNiles Gilderbrandt

Level 8 Arcane Mystic (Character Sheet)

AC: 16 | HP: 59 | Spell Save DC: 16 | Spell Slots: 1st Level: 4 of 4 | 2nd Level: 2 of 3 | 3rd Level: 2 of 3 | 4th Level: 2 of 2

Spell Attack Bonus: +8 | Bonus Spells Available: Hex: Yes | Invisibility: no | Misty Step: Yes | Ray of Sickness: Yes

Initiative: +3   Passive Perception: 14 | Channel Divinity: Yes

"That seems like a good way to get us all dead." Niles says. "If we think we can take on the whole castle, I hat was the point of how we did things?"

spacer.png

AC: 15 | HP: 54/54
Str -1 | Dex +1 | Con +3 | Int +7 | Wis +2 | Cha +0

Callista Ambers

Abilities: Transmute Spell (2/2), Spell Sniper | Ring of Spell Storing, Wand of Binding (7/7), Staff of Defense (10/10)

Spells; DC: 16. Attack +8. Spells Prepared 13 | Cantrips: Prestidigitation, Toll the Dead, Fire Bolt, Create Bonfire, Mage Hand, Mending, Eldritch Blast

Level 1 [▣ ▣ ▣ ▣]
Magic Missile, Burning Hands

Level 2 [▣ ▣ ▢]
Scorching Ray, Earthern Grasp, Crown of Madness

Level 3 [▣ ▢ ▢]
Animate Dead, Fireball, Slow, Counterspell, Summon Shadowspawn

Level 4 [▣ ▢]
Blight, Wall of Fire, Conjure Minor Elementals

"I must say, sister. I do like this colour on you.." She has the good graces not to be smiling when she says it "And though Niles has a point, i believe you may have a better one."

Mechanics

Attacks Actions
Attack Target To-Hit Damage Effects

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png  

Zombie A

HP: 30
AC: 8
Attack: +7
Damage:
1d6+1

Zombie B

Damage:
1d6+1

Zombie C

Damage:
1d6+1

Second Wind: 1/1 | Action Surge: 1/1 | Unwavering Mark: 5/5 | Precise Strike: 2/3 | Rallying Command: 2/3 | Warding Maneuver: 4/4

Aubryn blinks startled at the bold and likely foolish gesture of a public execution. Quiet for a moment, she then says, "I cannot condone a public execution. It feels like a good way to get ourselves killed. If you insist on doing things this way, we will leave her alive and humiliated. But I am knocking her unconscious as I know the sleep magic won't last forever."

Tabletop

Alura breaths deeply and lets the air out of her lungs slowly as if she is seeking to center herself once more. She feels her hot energy and roiling slowly underneath her skin like it is about to explode ... one of these days. Locking eyes with Aubryn, but addressing all the companions she says, "Thank you." It is a small victory that seemed to matter to her at this moment.

After Aubryn knocks out Rezmir Alura goes one step further and ties her mouth shut. Using some rope she cuts off a portion and ties it around Rezmir's snout nice and tight and makes sure to tie it behind her horns. That way if she wanted to force the rope to break using raw force in her jaws she would need to break her horns as well.

OoC

Alura wants to gag her with some rope and tie if off behind her horns so whatever strain she makes to rip the gag it will not allow her to speak unless she manages to rip off her horns as well.

I am assuming we are also tying up her hands and feet behind her back as well? No need to make it easy for her to escape.

Alura makes sure Rezmir is securely tied up and asks, "Where too now?" There are a few other rooms here to search, so how should they continue?

OoC

We have another 3 rooms to search here, where to?

Aubryn says, "We keep going counterclockwise. So head towards the room in the corner next. We focus on taking out the cultists and finding that treasure."

Tabletop

Aubryn is suggesting room 12 next and then keep going. We need to figure out how to get the treasure. Hopefully someone here knows.

spacer.png

Callista Ambers

Abilities: Transmute Spell (2/2), Spell Sniper | Ring of Spell Storing, Wand of Binding (7/7), Staff of Defense (10/10)

Spells; DC: 16. Attack +8. Spells Prepared 13 | Cantrips: Prestidigitation, Toll the Dead, Fire Bolt, Create Bonfire, Mage Hand, Mending, Eldritch Blast

Level 1 [▣ ▣ ▣ ▣]

Level 2 [▣ ▣ ▢]

Level 3 [▣ ▢ ▢]

Level 4 [▣ ▢]

"So far so good, lead on brave knight.."

Mechanics

Attacks Actions

Zombie A

Damage:
1d6+1

Zombie B

Damage:
1d6+1

Zombie C

Damage:
1d6+1

Palast, 31st of Gildember, Morning

Moon Magic

White Robes receive a +1 bonus to spell attack rolls and spell save DCs.

Solinari (17+1)--High Sanction, 7 days to Waning
Lunitari (17+1)--Waning, 1 days to Waning
Nuitari (5)--Waxing, 2 days to High Sanction

image.png.5eb26f8fa794306575e73602f8db0779.pngYou open the next door. Each of you is unprepared for what you find.

Hundreds of horse skulls are nailed to the ceiling and cover it entirely. Thick carpets cover the floor, and desks, chairs, and lecterns are everywhere, some covered with books and scrolls, others with potion vials, bits of meat and fur, and other things. Four hulking gargoyles stand frozen in the room. In the center of the room, a elderly human stands with his back to you. He is speaking to a large, floor-length oval mirror. In the mirror, you see the wavy image of Azbara Jos, the Black Robed Wizard of High Sorcery you encountered on the caravan to Solanthus. The background behind Azbara is an indistinct room, which could be anywhere.

As you cross the threshold, Azbara Jos' eyes instantly narrow. He holds up a hand, which stops the other man from speaking further. "Callista," he says, his voice distorted by the magic allowing him to communicate across the distance from where ever he is at the moment, "you weren't supposed to be here yet. This is terribly inconvenient."

The other man turns to you. His grey robes are covered in symbols of the Knights of Neraka. "Oh, these are the busy-bodies Azbara warned me about. I hope you aren't going to resort to violence." Blue sparks crackle between his fingers as he mentions violence. "It's terribly inadvisable."

Tabletop

You are in Area 12.

Map

image.png.53f5e6542d89e735ef00ffb2c0981c53.png

spacer.png

Callista Ambers

Level 1 [▣ ▣ ▣ ▣]

Level 2 [▣ ▣ ▢]

Level 3 [▣ ▢ ▢]

Level 4 [▣ ▢]

Callista doesn't enter the room - she's notably never in the front of the group either, preferring to stay in the middle, along with her 'assistants' but she does lean a little to look around Aubryn, hands up and shrugging in a 'what can you do' sort of way "So sorry to inconvenience you, but unfortunately, we are sort of on a bit of a schedule. You understand, i'm sure."

Mechanics

Attacks Actions

Zombie A

Damage:
1d6+1

Zombie B

Damage:
1d6+1

Zombie C

Damage:
1d6+1

image.jpegNiles Gilderbrandt

Level 8 Arcane Mystic (Character Sheet)

AC: 16 | HP: 59 | Spell Save DC: 16 | Spell Slots: 1st Level: 4 of 4 | 2nd Level: 2 of 3 | 3rd Level: 2 of 3 | 4th Level: 2 of 2

Spell Attack Bonus: +8 | Bonus Spells Available: Hex: Yes | Invisibility: no | Misty Step: Yes | Ray of Sickness: Yes

Initiative: +3   Passive Perception: 14 | Channel Divinity: Yes

Niles furrows his brow... he was shocked to see the 'decor' of the room, but even more shocked at his companion being on speaking terms with one from this place... he was really rather confused having only been a part of the group for a short time since he had been rescued by them. Now... what was he to do? To think? He figured he best keep his mouth shut. Not knowing and speaking out made one a fool.

Alura moves in closer to whispers in Calista's ear, "How do you want to handle this? I think you should take the lead in negotiating with this man." Alura felt that this encounter could really be a fight they might not walk away from. She is going to give this room a good quick inspection to understand better its purpose of design and this man's role in it.

OoC

OK, so this looks like a tough fight. Negotiations might be the best strategy here.

Doing an Arcana check to get clues about room decor.

Name
Arcana
1d20+8 5

spacer.png

Callista Ambers

Level 1 [▣ ▣ ▣ ▣]

Level 2 [▣ ▣ ▢]

Level 3 [▣ ▢ ▢]

Level 4 [▣ ▢]

As an aside, Callista murmurs "Oh, we're negotiating..?" There is a small shrug as she steps around Aubryn "Violence is such a petty response. We don't need to worry about that." she turns her attention to the image of Azbara "Apologies for arriving a little too early, we managed to avoid being side-tracked too much."

Mechanics

Attacks Actions

Zombie A

Damage:
1d6+1

Zombie B

Damage:
1d6+1

Zombie C

Damage:
1d6+1

Aubryn takes in the room and its strange, ritualistic environment. As this encounter turns more to banter, the knight grips her sword in frustration. She says, "This foolish 'knight' needs to tell us where to find the treasure horde on the castle, or I'm afraid we will need to keep being busy-bodies. Any other conversation seems pointless to me. And not telling us would be...inadvisable."

The knight is prepared for the wizard to look to attack and she is ready to strike him down. She doesn't like the enchanted mirror and looks around for a means to cover it.

Tabletop

We can't be sure how difficult the fight will be. Assuming Cole is still with us, he does great damage at range...as long as Aubryn can hold off the melee folks. I do agree that four gargoyles and this wizard might be a tough fight. The wizard is far more dangerous than any gargoyle though.

Edited by Shadeus (see edit history)