Interlude

Zen Gypsy

I didn't mind differences in visual acuity in a party, but as I was recently running a D&D 5e game it was annoying to describe the lighting conditions in a room and have the players go "but we all have darkvision so it doesn't matter." 🙄

Lira will always be carrying her lantern, even when she doesn't light it, as it is her thaumaturge implement and so it's used for the ability that improves her damage.

As long as Lira is around you'll have a light source, and others won't need to carry one if we stick close enough. Although with a group this large there could certainly be line of sight issues with one light source while we're coming around a corner or in other similar situations which are common enough.

Some thoughts (of mine) from the Discord over to here:

• I'm not sanguine on 'sneaking.' Granted, it is raining and overcast, but it is daylight and folks are active. We can't Follow the Expert so the entire party using Avoid Notice means x7 stealth checks (assuming there is someone to notice) nor does anyone have Quiet Allies feat (yet). Without cover or concealment to approach (as I was hoping that the warehouse hop-down might provide), it seems a more "we have every reason to be here to do business" might be more 'stealthy' than actually sneaking

What if, say, we look for some things in the warehouse that we could grab to make it SEEM that we were a group arriving with goods? Get THEM to come out to see versus us having to go in (obviously, we'll need to get inside at some point, but if we can take a few thugs out in the open with a bit of 'surprise,' it might make the subsequent searching easier)?

• Another possibility might be a distraction by fire? I'm concerned that setting fire to the larger vessel might be problematic or get out of hand, but perhaps setting fire to the skiff might bring out some of the ruffians from within that we could ambush?

This said, should the group prefer to make a sneak/Avoid Notice approach to the building proper, Caltrix will do her part.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

Based on Discord chatter, I see three ideas being tossed around. In order to expediate the scene, I will ask, OOC, for a vote.

1. Deception (Approach the Fishery and attempt to bluff your way inside)
  2. Distraction (Cause a diversion of some sort and cause those inside to exit to investigate)
  3. Stealth (Quietly approach and attempt to gain access unobserved)

Cast your vote, and the option with the most votes wins. Then come up with a plan along those lines and we can see what we can see 🤔

FWIW, my proposal for #1 (pretend to be a crew making a misdirected delivery) was not to bluff "our way inside," at least not directly, but to lure those inside out to see what the "mistaken delivery" might be. A conflation of #1 and #2 if you will. A deceptive distraction.

So my 'vote' as it were is #2 with a side of #1.

PS Also had thought of trying to put fire arrows into the skiff (the smaller boat) from atop the warehouse roof, but GM properly pointed out that it has been raining for about a 24 hour period.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

I was just generalizing, as a group you still need to pick a method, then let me know what you're trying to achieve. Set up for an ambush, clear the door so someone can sneak in, whatever.

22 minutes ago, Zen Gypsy said:

I was just generalizing, as a group you still need to pick a method, then let me know what you're trying to achieve. Set up for an ambush, clear the door so someone can sneak in, whatever.

I wasn't being critical. Just wasn't sure who might have or have not read the Discord elaboration. And to explain my 'mixed' vote.

Perfect! Distraction it is!

Now if you want to explain how you plan to distract those you suspect are inside, and what the intended outcome is? Attack, capture, interrogate, etc ...