Interlude

Zen Gypsy

Hmmm... a fire would be illegal I suppose, and dangerous to other innocent citizens, Ionacu wouldn't go for it.

I like the idea of a mistaken delivery. One thing we could attempt is a distraction front and rear, force some confusion.

Goal could be simply getting inside and then attacking, like good door to door sales persons 🥳

8 hours ago, Thramzorean said:

Hmmm... a fire would be illegal I suppose

Most likely that carrying out a bit of vigilante justice on Lamm & his minions is 'illegal.'

The fire I was proposing was to the small skiff, not the larger cargo vessel, and thus likely more localized. But yes, fires do run risks of getting out of hand.

Perhaps one fundamental matter to decide is whether we are willing to split the party? Just as an example, Caltrix and Valerica up on the Warehouse roof to provide ranged cover (and we can jump/rope climb down) to join a melee/search. I mention those two as, I think, they're the two highest DEX characters and both have bows. Alternatively, a sub-group up front; and one around back?

But if we're not going to split the party, that will dictate how we plan our diversion(s).

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

My bow is just a shortbow so I need to stay within 60ft. Regardless, the warehouse is small enough that if we were sniping from back a bit or another group went to a different entrance, etc. I think it would be fairly easy to close the distance again in a single turn of movement actions.

I'm a strong advocate of the fake delivery tactic and dealing with whoever comes out. Valerica is not a seasoned tactician and the blunt approach would work well enough, unless someone in the party takes charge of a plan.

Fake delivery could work. Other disguises are possible as well. City workers. Raising funds for the poor. If we just need something to keep the people at the entrance busy I think we could do it with Ihrin and maybe 1-2 others

We probably run the risk of decision paralysis.

Personally, I don't think the notion of sending someone "inside" during a "distraction" will go well: we're not here to pilfer the desk or safe (I don't think). Ostensibly, we're after one guy, Lamm, and those who would protect/assist him, and, whatever due respect for the Law we might otherwise have, I don't think we're here to bring Lamm before a no-bail magistrate.

All this to say that I think we should be expecting the deception to bring out one or two of the operatives who we then simply attack, or given an ultimatum (and then attack) or ...

I think the distracting group needs to be large enough to fight ... either out front or trying to force its way inside. Maybe four?

I like the idea of two-three on the roof, either to provide cover and/or to interdict anyone fleeing out the back. Valerica suggested that we rig a grappling hook so that we can descend down to support. Caltrix has one.

I (via Caltrix) am still taken with dealing with that skiff, but perhaps I exaggerate (imagine) its importance. I'd like to try to disable it, but it isn't something I consider critical.

=========

All this said, if folks are more in favor of trying to sneak or break into the rear whilst the frontal distraction happens, I'll support that. I guess my feeling is that we're at more of an advantage fighting outside, rather than inside a structure that the enemy knows and may well have booby-trapped.

Or any other ideas. But I suspect we need to make a decision and go.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

I agree that attacking anyone we manage to distract and lure outside is the plan. Whatever her regular disposition may be, Valerica is here on a mission of vengeance and anyone allied with Lamm is just as bad in her eyes.

I think having archers on the roof makes sense if we're approaching from the A3 side, but if we're coming in from the A2 side where the children were making deliveries I'm unsure if there is another structure in close range there to be atop (can only see 15 feet on that side of the map so it's possible there is another building somewhere in that next 45 feet)?

I think as long as we can figure out if there's a structure on that side, then we're good to go with Valerica/Caltrix perched in range. Whoever is going to be the face for the group managing the distraction can really choose to tell whatever tale they want like Saithor suggested (delivery, city workers, raising funds, etc).

1 hour ago, Gnaws said:

I agree that attacking anyone we manage to distract and lure outside is the plan. Whatever her regular disposition may be, Valerica is here on a mission of vengeance and anyone allied with Lamm is just as bad in her eyes.

I think having archers on the roof makes sense if we're approaching from the A3 side, but if we're coming in from the A2 side where the children were making deliveries I'm unsure if there is another structure in close range there to be atop (can only see 15 feet on that side of the map so it's possible there is another building somewhere in that next 45 feet)?

I think as long as we can figure out if there's a structure on that side, then we're good to go with Valerica/Caltrix perched in range. Whoever is going to be the face for the group managing the distraction can really choose to tell whatever tale they want like Saithor suggested (delivery, city workers, raising funds, etc).

Difficult to tell, but it seems A1 is the most likely "front door" even if A2 is the working entrance? Like a delivery crew knocking on the front door, even if the W/D are coming in through the garage? Maybe if there is no action on the A3 side that snipers can target, we then slide down the rope to engage as needed?

"The lucky man is he who knows how much to leave to chance."

-- C.S. Forester, Lord Hornblower (1946)

Posted an update giving you a lay out of the area to the north and south of the fishery ... I am going to consider the observations and surveillance as having taken about an hour, putting us past midday.

I just need a rudimentary plan of action, so I can narrate the beginning of the next sequence, which, it seems, will likely lead to a conflict of some sort or another. I hope to have my next post up by Sunday, so that give folks who haven't already, time to chime in on their preferred course of action ... I am not trying to enforce deadlines, I just want to keep us rolling and maintain our momentum!

In interest of maintaining momentum as Zen suggested, I propose that any ranged folks stay a bit behind, maybe just using the corner of the buildings for cover. The rest can stand ready while Carthen, in full view of Hookshank, bullies a returning orphan group into getting their goods. This should pull at least Hookshank away from the door.

I know it sounds harsh roughing up some kids lol but it would mostly be intimidation. I feel this is a better way to get people drawn from the door then approaching.

The only problem I see with that approach is we don't want the kids afraid of/angry at us as much as, or more than, Lamm's cronies. It might drag the cronies outside, but what if the kids gang up on us, too? In fact, if we could get them on our side then we'd have an advantage, though I don't know how plausible that is.

• I'm fine with @VennDygrem version of the outside distraction.
  • We could have a greeting party of 2-3, leaving 3 or 2 (respectively) as "back ups" for on the ground.
  • If I read @Gnaws correctly, I think Valerica and Caltrix prefer to take a sniping position from the warehouse roof: we can tie off a rope and use a grappling hook to hook to the edge of the fishery roof (or we might simply have to repel off the warehouse wall over to A3.
  • Caltrix would still like to drop a cinderblock or such into the skiff: it only seems between 5'-10' away from the warehouse roof corner.
  • GM asked about intentions. I'd say we want Lamm or information about him. We obviously can't take and hold prisoners, so we'd have to let any, er, survivors lose. Said individuals could warn Lamm or rejoin him (depending on whether Lamm is present, but escapes or isn't here). Even if we Intimidated/Bribed them to stay silent, could we trust that, though they might then more more afraid of Lamm than us? Caltrix isn't an assassin: but, she probably considers the reality of how things go "amongst thieves."

Generally, there are various ways to defend against a "home invasion." Defend via barricade or fighting withdrawal are two. I suppose we need to be ready here for either: either Lamm's lackey's defend the fishery as their turf (and/or to allow Lamm to escape); or they might make a fighting withdrawal to one or other of the boats we can see (or others we can't --- maybe beneath the fishery). And will they fight to the death or will they be subject to morale?

Btw, I didn't mean to exclude any other characters from the roof: I was simply going by those characters that I found had a bow on the equipment list. I could have missed something or an ability that would useful from such a vantage.

I'm fine with drawing somebody out (however we choose to do it), who can then be ganged up on and also allow forcing our way inside at the same time while the door is open. We don't want to be beating up somebody while somebody else is locking and barring the door... let's effectively go directly into combat mode, make sure we're keeping the initiative in our hands as it were.

Bran will be on the eaves above. Walking up to a place with a raven on one's shoulder is a bit of a give away.

Just quick add about "intentions." I'm embarrassed to admit that with the focus on tactics here, I/Caltrix certainly should have noted above that each character has their own individual need for information, not only vengeance. For Caltrix, seeking her friend Lollifar.

Anyway, thought to mention this as certainly "seeking information" is a primary motive for us.