The Brazen Bull

image.png.e7c8a25eef12e207a1ab2145f448b0ab.pngMorrull explores a further down the tunnel, but stops as he sees the tunnel widen into a larger chamber.

Iodás' doesn't think it would be too difficult to get to the body. Someone trained could climb over or you could find some way to drag the body from the ledge. A jump seems out of the question.

Artagan/Morrull- Common Stock, Scout (2); THAC0 = 19

0a4e00a317d9bf372a7648b95a6401f4.jpgArmor AC: 5/4 | HP: 14/14 (d6) | Attributes | Speed, Saves, ATKs | Class Abilities | Thief Abilities | Languages | Special Effects |

Morrull returns, reports, and turns his attention to the ledge and the wall, assessing a horizontal crawl. He tries to gauge which is easier: going over at his current 'level' or going down over the edge a few feet; then over; and then back up.*

In any case, let's mark out about 30' on this rope. That should be as much as I would need to get over there and have sufficient slack to move about. If I need more, I'll have to signal. All this in his characteristic manner of talking to himself.

OOC

*In other words, are hand and foot holds more easily attained at the (lower) level of the material exposed by the collapse?

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)

45 minutes ago, Vedast said:

*In other words, are hand and foot holds more easily attained at the (lower) level of the material exposed by the collapse?

It's pretty much the same. Standard climb check either way.

Just now, Saltimbanco said:

It's pretty much the same. Standard climb check either way.

Ok, we'll keep it simple then and attempt to climb sideways at the current level. Was just hunting for a "circumstance bonus" if Morrull could find an easier route e.g. maybe the more recently exposed rock/surface had more hand/foot holds.

0a4e00a317d9bf372a7648b95a6401f4.jpgArmor AC: 5/4 | HP: 14/14 (d6) | Attributes | Speed, Saves, ATKs | Class Abilities | Thief Abilities | Languages | Special Effects |

It appearing that there was no easier climb either way, the scout decided to keep it simple and make the attempt from the platform level. Securing the rope to himself, he sets out.

OOC

Name
Climb Check
1d12 12

Posted (edited)

image.png.72c80f471189339da4af5d9a905429e9.pngMorrull ties off the rope on himself and attempts to make his way across. About half way he slips, bouncing along the rock face taking 5 hps of damage from the scrapes and bruises.

The three warriors above together are able to maintain grip on the rope. Morrull recovers, makes his way back up, slips again but with more effort is able to climb up over the edge next to the skeleton wrapped in an old blanket.

Under the blanket, the scout can see that the skeleton is wearing pristine looking armour made of a multicoloured leather darkened by the tanning process. Also on the body is an old short sword, thieves' tools, a soft leather pouch containing 46 gp and 3 pearls, and a hard leather pouch containing five egg-shaped metal cylinders. Each cylinder is topped by a stem through which a small lynchpin has been inserted. Hellenic lettering are embossed on the surface of the cylinders.

Edited by Saltimbanco (see edit history)
Name
Wall Damage
1d6 5

0a4e00a317d9bf372a7648b95a6401f4.jpgArmor AC: 5/4 | HP: 9/14 (d6) | Attributes | Speed, Saves, ATKs | Class Abilities | Thief Abilities | Languages | Special Effects |

As Morrull catches his breath, he wonders whether he had passed out for a moment? Something in the sequence of events appeared to be missing - a gap in his memory. Perhaps I cracked my head, he muttered, whilst going through some exercises to assure himself that he was only scraped and bruised ... and nothing was sprained or broken.

Hard luck, friend, he murmured, speaking to the skeleton, noting the tools of a fellow ... man-of-business. We lost a fledgling in this curséd place and I damn near joined you both just now.

The thief's tools and the two pouches he placed into his own pack: their contents could be appraised and evaluated later. He could make out the letters, but not their meaning - was it a word or a set of abbreviations?* The sword he could stash in his belt, but the armor ... he'd have to attach it to the rope for his return ... unless.

He then searched the wall around and above the ledge for any hidden or secret passages. If none are to be found, he motions with his hands to have the bullseye lantern illuminate the section of wall between this ledge and the SW opening. He might be able to secure the rope with a grapnel on the ledge here to secure his way over. It was worth investigating, though perhaps unwise.

I must be feeling a bit fey, he said to ... Rel?

OOC

*I think Common uses the Hellenic alphabet?

image.png.9db784fe16fbb278794efe6da8dd5162.png

Magnus Karlson, viking Cleric of Lunnaqua: Armor AC: 3/4 | HP: 18 (d8)

Magnus comes over and says let me help you with those wounds and calls on his power to heal Morrull

Name
cast cure light wounds on Murrell
1d8 8

6 hours ago, dtspurrier said:

Magnus comes over and says let me help you with those wounds and calls on his power to heal Morrull

This will need to wait until after Morrull gets back, but go ahead and keep that roll.

12 hours ago, Vedast said:

*I think Common uses the Hellenic alphabet?

Yes. The PH says that "The dialects of a language group will have many commonalities and are generally intelligible to one another, but the written forms may exhibit significant differences."

Κίνδυνος! Απελευθερώστε αμέσως.

These are the words on the cylindrical devices with the pins. Zalven, who can read Hellinic (Hyperborean) can deduce the the words indicate that one of the words means "Danger" and that the others allude to needing to quickly let go of the objects.

Kindunos! Apeleutheroste amesos.

Sure, can make out the letters, but not the language ... well, Morrull didn't take Koine Greek back in the day, so he'll stay ignorant.

But Morrull will take a look and listen: can he see or hear anything differently now that he's closer to the tunnel mouth from which the light and pleading are coming?