The Brazen Bull

Amagè, is an elderly Ixian woman with only one tooth. She heard that a group of heroes had gone down under The Silvery Eel and removed whatever curse had befallen the place. They may be her only hope. She knows that there is an Ixian warrior amongst the group, and when she spots Iodás leaving the tavern with Luciana and Magnus, she hurries up and addresses them.

"Sir and ma dame, I beg of you. My grandson Ardoros has gone missing. That poor boy, as much of a pain as he is, he is a good boy deep down and I'm afraid a bad crowd got their stinky paws on him. He has a long, black mane of hair and is only fourteen years old. He was last seen with a man that has head that weirdly lists to the side. I don't know where they went, but he looked like a junkie."

She then fumbles about her shirt and pulls out a diamond-studded electrum brooch.

"I can't pay yee, but you can have this if you find him. It's all I've got and he's my only grandchild."

Of course, Iodás feels a sense of filial responsibility to an Ixian child, and Luciana and Magnus being a paladin and an honorable holy wariror, they both readily agreed and informed the rest of the party. Zalven and Artagan, went out and combed the streets for tilty-headed vagrants and learned that there is a seedy neighborhood not far from the docks where a shifty Pict named Venutios. With that information, they go and investigate.

Edited by Saltimbanco (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

image.png.d6b6a96a2e49c0605e96dacaec2a53a8.pngWhilst traversing one of the seedier neighborhoods just beyond Khromarium's docks, you are solicited by a greasy-haired Pict whose head tilts severely to one side. Just the man you are looking for. He stands under the arched entrance of a partially ruined tenement and is garbed as a merchant, though his ill-fitted shirt shews wine stains and various small burn holes. A plume of heavy, white smoke with a slight fruity odour wafts from his pipe as he calls to you.

"Greetings, good masters, "he lisps. "Can I interest you in purchasing a sheaf of magical lotus leaves? I, Venutios, have a surplus of the enchanted plant, and I have some unfortunate debts to settle, so I am willing to part with it at a bargain rate. With this lotus, one can see the future, or brew a potion that enchants the drinker with the power of sorcery - or, if none of that is of interest, surely one could double or triple his money elsewhere."

Venutios beckons the party to follow him into the dilapidated building. It is a crumbling, three-storey tenement that sits squeezed betwixt two other dilapidated structures. A light from a small fire inside flickers through cracks in its crooked, ill-fitting door and crudely boarded windows. 

IMG_1873.png.06bc128a3cf622305658ac4f6bb081b1.pngIodás looks at this ‘man’ for a while, selling his poison in the street. The authorities here probably frowned upon murder.

“I need none of your rot, but my friend has developed a taste for your wares. It could be worth a few coins if you have seen him. Young man, lots of dark hair? Ardoros by name.”

Character sheet:

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/8835-iodás-argos-ixian-warlock/

spacer.png

spacer.png | HP 22/22 AC 1 (0 vs. Evil) DR 2 | Saves 16 (vs. all +2) | Speed 30' | React/Loyal +2 | Abilities | Combat
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

"Agreed," Luciana said, glad to finally be able to take as firm a stance on something as her Ixian companion. "And make sure Wu stays away from this guy," she added.

Allowing the man a moment to reply, Luci turned to look at Zenobios who seemed to always be nearby. "Zeno, take this," she said, hefting her non-magical large shield off her back and into his hands. "You'll figure it out and it'll keep you alive," she said with a nod, looking back at the Pict man.

Artagan/Morrull- Common Stock, Scout (2); THAC0 = 19

image.png.496d9176f136affc4809bb3349ce4dd7.pngArmor AC: 5/4 | HP: 14/14 (d6) | Attributes | Speed, Saves, ATKs | Class Abilities | Thief Abilities | Languages | Special Effects |

Artagan allows his eyes to adjust, avoiding any glance at the crepuscular rays of sunlight passing through the ramshackle attempts to shade the windows.

Affecting a nonchalance whilst Iodas engaged their host - as it were - the scout and sometime purveyor of antiquities, was most interested in viewing any merchandise or detecting any cubbies/trap doors that might be present. It was doubtful that this Venutios had brought them to his primary lair and storage house, but much could remain hidden beyond this wreck of a facade.

He looked to Zalven to judge his reaction. This fellow might deal superficially with pleasure drugs, but there might be more to this than met the idea. Artagan had little experience in such matters, albeit his home of Port Zangerios, naturally, trafficked in all sorts of illicit drug trade.

OOC

3:6 to detect Secret Doors; 2:6 to detect a grade or slope (maybe betraying a floor bowing over a basement or crawlspace)?

Posted (edited)

Zenobios takes the shield, and gives a questioning look when Luciana mentions the need to keep Wu away.

Venutios responds do Iodás. "Hmm. A young man with dark hair? Let's see." He then turns around and shouts out, "Any of you know about a young man named Ardor's?"

"No, wait. I don't remember." You can hear a voice slurring from inside.

Venutios shrugs his shoulders. It looks uncomfortable with that sideways head. "Guess we're not sure. He might have bought some of our fantabulous product and I just don't remember. Come on in and try some. It'll put hair on your chest, ha ha!"

Artagan, you're still outside. Looking around the building, however, you can see that there is a back door but it appears to be blocked by debris.

spacer.pngZalven Tainos - Illusionist of the First Order, Adherent of the Gleaming Eye

HP: 5/5 | AC: 8 | SV: 16 | Class Abilities | Gear | Sorcery | Character Sheet

Zalven looks past Venutios with equal amounts of curiosity and skepticism. Lotus-chewers are often a passive lot, but they could be unpredictable. Besides that, this man in particular does nothing to dissuade the notion that he is up to no good.

To the others, he says, "Ardoros may be in there somewhere. We may want to take a look, though we must be careful. There are more than just our one friend here inside, though who knows how many lurk within? We need not succumb to yet another trap, although we need information."

He looks Venutios over with a discerning eye, unsure just what dangers he and his friend, or friends, may pose.

Attributes & Stats

Attributes & Stats

Strength (ST)

• Att. Mod (Melee): +0
  • Dmg Adj: +0
  • Test of ST: 2:6
  • Ex Feat of ST: 4%

Dexterity (DX)

• Att. Mod (missile): +1
  • Defence Adj: +1
  • Test of DX: 3:6
  • Ex Feat of DX: 24%

Constitution (CN)

• HP Adj: +1
  • Poison/Rad. Adj: 0
  • Trauma Survival: 80%
  • Test of CN: 3:6
  • Ex Feat of CN: 8%

Intelligence (IN)

• Languages: +2
  • Bonus Spells: Lv. 3
  • Learn New Spell: 85%

Wisdom (WS)

• Willpower Adj: 0
  • Bonus Spells: N/A
  • Learn New Spell: N/A

Charisma (CH)

• Reaction/Loyalty Adj: 0
  • Max. Henchmen: 4
  • Undead Turning Adj: 0

Posted (edited)

image.png.d6b6a96a2e49c0605e96dacaec2a53a8.pngimage.png.1299efb67dda025e55a2498fdc504bbf.pngThe warlock presses a handful of silver into Venutios' hand and pushes past into the southern door.

"Hey, uh. Thank-see much. This place ain't much to look at but on the nod heh heh it don't much matter does it? Ha ha. Well, maybe we can talk to my boys about seeing if your missing friend has been here..."

Venutios talks on and on as Iodás takes in the sights of the building. The first and most obvious thing he sees is four figures huddled around a fire in the north eastern corner which provides a dim light to the room. They do not appear to be armed or armoured, save one half-naked man demonstratively waving a dagger over his head to his seemingly unimpressed audience.

Debris from the tenement's collapsed upper storeys litters the open ground floor of this building, blocking the back door. A rickety roof 30 feet above does little to shield the interior from the elements. 

Suddenly, the crazed half-naked man waves his dagger over his head and shouts to Venutios.

"No one passes Naitol! This crate is not to be budged— or even looked at—lest you suffer the same fate as old Dillmor here!" 

Venutios looks on in shock and yells back. "What in the hell did you do, Naitol?"

As your eyes adjust, you can see that they are talking about a square-jawed man, who lies slumped against a mouldy, discoloured wall. Blood oozes from a deep, wide gash under his left eye. Another fleshy man with ulcerous skin lies face down on the floor and seems oblivious to all of what is going on. A squirrely, thin-faced man huddles close to the fire, gently rocking whilst smoking lotus in a pipe. 

Naitol, who apparently just killed Dillmor perches on a 4x4-foot crate, waving a bloody dagger whilst repeatedly rasping, "I told him." He wears only a loincloth and is heavily muscled and scarred.

"Told him what you fool? He wasn't gonna do nothing you dumb ass!" shouts Venutios.

Shouting back, and waving his dagger towards the tilt-headed man. "The frak you think you are talking to me like that you asshole. I'll kill you too you sumbitch!"

Venutios draws his own dagger and advances on the shirtless, murderous junky.

What do you do?

spacer.png

spacer.png | HP 22/22 AC 1 (0 vs. Evil) DR 2 | Saves 16 (vs. all +2) | Speed 30' | React/Loyal +2 | Abilities | Combat
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

To Zenobios' questioning glance, Luci simply shook her head once and said, "Don't ask."

The more the Pict man spoke the more Luciana's heckles were raised. She didn't like his greasy personality, nor the apparent greed of him and his associates. As Iodás pushed his way inside, Luciana followed and waved her companions in.

Pinching the bridge of her nose in frustration, Luci watched as the drugee and druger drew weapons on one another. "Artemis help me, do I let filth fight filth or... Tch, damn it all," she said aloud, striding forward into the fray. "STAND DOWN!!" she boomed, sword drawn with a less-than-graceful pull. Her old blade had a different balance than Thorn.

image.png.e1d6c814016ca607a0ff6f8cff4b518c.pngZenobios closely follows Luciana into the room, strapping the shield to his right forearm and making sure it is secure in his grip.

"By Artemis that man is whacked out of his skull."

IMG_1873.png.06bc128a3cf622305658ac4f6bb081b1.pngIodás kept a careful eye on the others. Luci could handle an unarmored junkie by herself, but if this was going to become a wider melee hE would of course help.

And who knows? Maybe they’d listen to her before they got their beating? Probably not, but we’ll see…

Character sheet:

https://www.myth-weavers.com/index.php?/topic/8835-iodás-argos-ixian-warlock/

Posted (edited)

With the paladin's strong words, Venutios holds out his hands in supplication, dagger held loosely in his palm and backs up.

"Whoah, whoah. Yeah. Okay, Ma'am." He stares warily at Luciana and Naitor, tilted head toggling between the two.

Naitor, however, is not mollified, and instead turns towards the paladin.

"Oh is that so mister high and mighty. Well ole Dillmor didn't learn his lesson now you ain't gonna learn your lesson either. NO ONE LOOKS AT THE CRATE! And that includes YOU!"

The drugged out lotus-smoker then lifts his dagger and charges the paladin. Venutios backs away, clearly not wanting to get in between Luciana and Naitor.

The squirrelly man by the fire continues to rock and moan and smoke his lotus leaves.

--------------------------------------------------- Combat Round One -------------------------------------------------

Declare actions.

Name
Naitor morale check
1d12 5

Artagan/Morrull- Common Stock, Scout (2); THAC0 = 19

image.png.496d9176f136affc4809bb3349ce4dd7.pngArmor AC: 5/4 | HP: 14/14 (d6) | Attributes | Speed, Saves, ATKs | Class Abilities | Thief Abilities | Languages | Special Effects |

STAND DOWN!

Some noise from inside disrupts what appears to have been an episode of day-dreaming on the scout's part.

Huh ... could have sworn I went inside, he said sotto voce.

Muireach, who was nearby, hadn't any experience of the 'Morrull' personality - who muttered to himself quite regularly. What the sailor thought was anyone's guess.

So ... as I was saying, knowing the ways into and out of any building should be part of one's standard plan of casing: and, of course, I mean ways of ingress and egress that are not meant to be known.

Take this back door here. It appears to be blocked off. But ... I wonder?

NO ONE LOOKS AT THE CRATE!

The two Kelts shared a look.

Let us make a more careful examination of this door, urged Artagan, taking another look ... around AND up! He readies his horseman's pick, but if there is a lock or trap to be engaged, he can hand that to Muireach whilst he manipulates his business tools.

OOC

Detect Secret Doors and/or Manipulate Traps/Devices whatever as appropriate should this door not be as it seems.

Artagan probably figures that the rest of the Party are handling the matter -- unless a more strident call is heard. Besides, covering what might be an escape route could have its advantages.

Edited by Vedast (see edit history)