What are you reading?

Eric

I just finished Genius Makers, a nonfiction book about the rise of deep learning and AI over the last ten years (it also touches on the earlier history of AI). If you're curious about the people and companies involved in that and about how AI is built, it's a good, nontechnical read.

This month, I've finished The Elements of Eloquence by Mark Forsyth and On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King. I am two-thirds through The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White (with illustrations by Maira Kalman). Likewise, I recently began reading The Fiction Writer's Guide to Dialogue by John Hough.

I finished The Cabin at the End of the World and I'm seriously confused by who the intended audience was for it. I did not enjoy it, but it wasn't offensively bad enough for me to put it down. When that happens I have to evaluate what the intentions were for a fiction novel. I've been told he has other better books and I might even give them a chance down the road.

I picked up David Sedaris's Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls. I don't read a lot of non-fictional books and I think this sits firmly on the fence between fiction and non-fiction. It's already been a delightfully light read and I'm only an hour into it.

Just finished reading "New Dark Age - Technology and the End of the Future" by James Bridle. It's a little disjointed and alarmist in parts, but a good and thought provoking read all the same.

Now onto the third part of Cixin Liu's Trisolaris trilogy...

Halfway through reading The Ministry for the Future by Kim Stanley Robinson and overall it has been a very thought provoking and stimulating read! The narrative jumps and style changes across chapters between 3rd person limited and epistolary accounts can be a bit disconnecting from the narrative and some chapters may seem a bit redundant (though that may just be a consequence of my own knowledge on Climate Change) but it most definitely is a worthwhile read that everyone who's into Hard Sci-Fi / Semi Non-Fiction should pick up!

I'm reading The Killers of the Flower Moon right now. Ouch. Just...ouch. Much like the Black Wall Street murders, I just never knew anything about this stuff, but man, it's eye opening. Talk about stuff we should have learned about in school but never did!