What are you reading?

Eric

I'm very scatter-brained so I've been making my way through a lot of different stuff lately. Namely, Man After Man. This book is short, it should've taken me far quicker to finish it, but I find about 70% of the book so dull that I get bored, and it seems the stuff that actually interests me is pretty back-loaded. Secondly, I've been reading two different books by Jan Harald Brunvand as apart of my folklore studies, both are compilations of urban legends and folktales. Also apart of my folklore studies though more for fun than education I've been reading GeGeGe Kitaro by Shigeru Mizuki. I've been fascinated by the series because it covers so many different folktales and beings that it's in some cases the only pop-culture depictions of many of them.

Started reading some Marvel comics. I read a ton of them as a kid and teen but lost interest right around the when Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen were published. Those kind of ruined me for normal comics.

But I’ve been playing Marvel Champions lately and it’s made me want to catch up on some of the lore.

So I got a one year subscription to Marvel Unlimited and started following this continuity guide. It’s been good times! The medium has changed quite a bit since I was a kid.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading the Shadow and Bone trilogy because I liked the Netflix show based on it, but oddly, this is a rare time I actually prefer the tv to the books. The books aren't bad, but they aren't anything to write home about either.

Just before that, though, I read something very much outside my normal genres and comfort zone: "60 Songs that Explain the '90s". It's non-fiction, it's an adaptation of a popular podcast and it is, quite honestly, completely unlike anything I would usually read, but I loved every page of it. If you're between the ages of 35 and 50, I can't imagine you not getting a kick out of that book.

I started Foundryside by Robert Patrick Bennett on a whim when my other book finished and a bunch of books on my app are currently wait-listed. I'm a few chapters in and it's okay so far. I don't know what my expectations are for it, but I'm hoping it grabs my attention enough to see it all the way through. I guess it's a series, so there's always the chance there's more to be read.

Haven't read it, but I hear good things from some people who's taste I respect, so maybe it will still grab you.

About halfway through Tim Powers Last Call.  I'm digging the world and the way it seems to work, I'm just not sure I really care about any of the characters.

Just started Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence, Book 1 in his War of the Red Queen trilogy a few days ago. Already around one third of the way through the book and loving the central character. Mark isn't the most complex of writers, but his characterisation is top notch.

On 12/10/2023 at 6:04 PM, DecoyGirl said:

I am almost done with
The Light fantastic. By Terry Pratchett.

2nd Discworld book.
Not BAD.
But the first two books are widely held as the worse books in the series.
I've read a few after this one but am sitting down to read them all in order.

I'm reading the biography of Terry Pratchet - A life with footnotes.

Really recommend it if you like Discworld