What are you reading?

Eric

Finally started Urth of the New Sun, which I had intended to start a month ago. The Book of the New Sun is an extraordinary** read, and this one is just as melancholy and gonzo as the others in the series.

** Note: extraordinary does not mean "best." It means outside the ordinary.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Suzuki Stumpy said:

Currently reading the final book in Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire trilogy.

Good stuff. I'm on some lighter, shorter fare while I await a library copy of The Towers of Midnight, just finished Legends and Lattes (quite fun) and partway through Slow Time Between the Stars.

5 hours ago, leons1701 said:

I loved Space Opera, which, to be sure, is not exactly part of the space opera genre (that I also love) but damn, Bowie does Eurovision in Space by way of HHGttG is a heck of a concept and Valente mostly makes it work.

It was not what I was expecting, but a pleasant surprise. It seem very stylish and a light read, but I am just starting.

I'm finishing Dead Beat by Butcher on audio while I type this. I don't know if I'll do another in the series or jump back to the Dark Tower series. I did The Gunslinger in like three commutes but it's certainly the shortest book in the series. I feel like reading books I've already read is silly when the to-do list is so long, but I definitely thought I remembered a major detail of Gunslinger differently than how it actually happened. So I'm intrigued by the idea of re-learning things after 15ish years.

But I keep coming back to this thread and adding the books to my Libby list. So thanks for that.

Edited by Basil_Bottletop (see edit history)

On 2/6/2024 at 4:50 AM, yxanthymir said:

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers. It starts strong, but derails at the end.

I find about half of his books are like that.

On the Gripping hand, I really enjoyed both "Drawing of the Dark" and "The Stress of Her Regard"

22 hours ago, Roughtrade said:

I find about half of his books are like that.

On the Gripping hand, I really enjoyed both "Drawing of the Dark" and "The Stress of Her Regard"

I didn't read enough of him to know yet, but so far it checks. It is exactly 50%. Only two books.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Space Opera by Catherine M. Valente. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it is a good book and very interesting. The end is really bad, but the journey is satisfying enough to compensate.

Started All Systems Red by Martha Wells.

I attempted to read The House on Needless Street but I couldn't stomach the writing. The concept was fine, but the writing was sloppy. Life is too short.

Now I'm on Blackfish City and I'm getting some fun vibes from it. I'm not sure what kind of tale I'm in for, but the worldbuilding is interesting enough.

Edited by Basil_Bottletop (see edit history)

We are reading Absalom, Absalom! for our next book club meeting. I've read it before, and I really like it. It is dense, but I like it.

I also grabbed The Sound and the Fury, and William Faulkner: A Life Through Novels by André Bleikasten at the library. I think I can get through all three by the book club meeting in March. That's the plan anyway.