Sheet Folders in Testing ×

What are you reading?

Eric

On 3/24/2024 at 11:48 AM, Suzuki Stumpy said:

Just finished reading The Three-Body Problem. Blimey, it was good. Now got the second and third books arriving tomorrow.

I have the 2nd and 3rd books but I've never been able to talk myself into reading them. 3BP was an amazing work from the standpoint of pure imagination and originality, but the writing style really bugged me. I don't think I've ever seen so much exposition in one story.

I finished SHADOW OF THE TORTURER by Gene Wolfe and am now into the next book in the series. I love the dreamlike atmosphere and pulpy adventures. Severian the torturer apprentice reminds me of Ishmael the landlubber whaler.

6 hours ago, cailano said:

I have the 2nd and 3rd books but I've never been able to talk myself into reading them. 3BP was an amazing work from the standpoint of pure imagination and originality, but the writing style really bugged me. I don't think I've ever seen so much exposition in one story.

True. The setting in revolutionary China and the (necessary for Westerners, I guess) explanation of the historical context did detract slightly from the story flow (which is one of the reasons I suspect the Netflix adaptation moves much of it to the UK), but still and incredible piece of work.

Hopefully, the sequels will flow better - primarily because of their length. They’re both far larger volumes than the first…

Still, I’ve just embarked on reading the first book of the Silo trilogy for now, so they can wait.

4 hours ago, KingArthur said:

I finished SHADOW OF THE TORTURER by Gene Wolfe and am now into the next book in the series. I love the dreamlike atmosphere and pulpy adventures. Severian the torturer apprentice reminds me of Ishmael the landlubber whaler.

I just finished that series, including Urth of the New Sun. Extraordinary stuff. Not the easiest read but unlike any other fantasy novels I've read. That bizarre fever dream feel is pervasive throughout each book.

10 hours ago, Suzuki Stumpy said:

True. The setting in revolutionary China and the (necessary for Westerners, I guess) explanation of the historical context did detract slightly from the story flow (which is one of the reasons I suspect the Netflix adaptation moves much of it to the UK), but still and incredible piece of work.

Hopefully, the sequels will flow better - primarily because of their length. They’re both far larger volumes than the first…

Honestly, the historical stuff was the best part of the book as far as I was concerned. The second book wasn't bad but I didn't like it as much as the first, never got around to the third.

5 hours ago, leons1701 said:

Honestly, the historical stuff was the best part of the book as far as I was concerned. The second book wasn't bad but I didn't like it as much as the first, never got around to the third.

Same experience here. I didn't finish the trilogy.

How to Lose the Time War was one of those stories where I wanted more meat or less fat. That's how I've been describing it so far. There's a structure to the book that flips back and forth between 'present tense action' and 'letters to another person'. By the end, I wanted either more of the former or less of the latter, but only because I thought it would have been provocatively insightful to have more of it. I kept wanting it to be more important. It was important, but I kept wanting it to be extremely relevant.

The wordplay in the letters is cheeky and a little overdone in some places, but I also admit that I would have done the exact same thing if I were the author. I wouldn't have been able to help myself, and I suspect they couldn't either.

For a quick read -the audiobook was 4ish hours- it had a very solid ending and a decent pace.

• 3 weeks later...

The Cabin at the End of the World. I'm almost halfway through it and I'm really hoping for a decent payoff. It's been pretty predictable so far, even though I've not even seen the movie (but I did see the trailer for it, which covers the premise of both book and movie).

I finished Battle Mage, which delivered on the expectations set initially. It's a fun, fast-paced novel that straddles the ground between YA and Adult fantasy. Basically, there's nothing in Battle Mage that I, as a parent, would find objectionable for a 12 or 13-year-old, but it doesn't seem to be specifically aimed at young adults. In that way, it's similar to some of Brandon Sanderson's work.

Battle Mage has many of the elements that many of us started reading fantasy for. It's got a lot of battles, plenty of magic, knights, dragons, demons, evil wizards, the whole bit. The author knew what he wanted his book to be, and he stayed the course.

If you're in the mood for a traditional epic fantasy read with good pacing and a lot of action, Battle Mage might be the book you're looking for.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a fantasy novel that breaks new ground or delivers a deep emotional impact, you can safely pass on this one.

Next up for me is Nicholas Eames's Kings of the Wyld.

I just finished Exiled from Camelot, a pretty good modern Arthurian novel. The focus was mainly on the relationship among the Knights and handling betrayal and loyalty, etc. It made me want to finally read The Once and Future King, which I'm doing now.

I usually read a fiction and a non-fiction at the same time. I'm also reading Whitney Webb's One Nation Under Blackmail: The Sordid Union Between Intelligence and Crime that Gave Rise to Jeffrey Epstein. It's starting out pretty interesting and goes well with watching The Octopus Murders on Netflix. I might be becoming a conspiracy guy?