Main OOC Thread (OOC)

Usually via random search string in all honesty. Sometimes I have a visual in mind before I start - for Belgoth once I'd settled on a whip controller build his visual fell into place (in this case it's the more recent version of Castlevania's Simon Belmont).

I've also used Portramatic a bit. It's a gallery program meant for adding custom portraits into Owlcat games. Its tags can be kind of... let's call them rough, and there are a lot of thirst portraits that some might find offensive. If you're interested you can grab a copy of it from Nexus Mods.

I need to tighten up a few aspects of my application, and her personality section is woefully in need of expansion, but if anyone has any commentary or criticism about Nata I would appreciate the insight.

Sure. That said, there's a lot of interesting characters being apped for this. It's really making me look forward to how they'd interact with my own if I'm chosen for this game.

Does anyone have any recommendations for mundane gear that would be helpful to buy? Nata is hurting for carrying capacity, but I have an extra 100 gold or so to burn and I'd like to find some fun, thematic things to buy.

For a Paladin? Candles, sealing wax, incense. Bells are always a good one, though I have no idea if they play a part in exorcism rituals on Golarion.

In practical adventuring gear there's always rope. Marbles are good for a laugh and useful if no one can cast Grease. Sewing needles. A whistle.

20 minutes ago, Lwmons said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for mundane gear that would be helpful to buy? Nata is hurting for carrying capacity, but I have an extra 100 gold or so to burn and I'd like to find some fun, thematic things to buy.

Rope and empty bags/vials. Always have rope and you'd be surprised where empty containers come up.

I usually like to pack coffee or tea. Some spare clothes. Maybe some cards or dice to pass the time. String or twine.

A donkey or mule costs 8gp, and feed is 5cp/day.

7 hours ago, Lwmons said:

You might want to drop an extra 75 to trade up for a chain shirt, and then 30 gold for a pony, if you feel like your character would have need for one, but a mount's usefulness as a pack animal depends on the DM's approach. And I feel like it should be a simple matter to drop the shield or put it away, depends on what you're trying to do (like pick a lock pocket).

Consider items that would would make sense for Nata to have or want to acquire, as a self-taught survivalist.

Speaking of skills: if you want to kick ass for the Lord a little bit better, why not drop Int by 1 and give it to Strength, and plan increasing Strength to 14 at level 4?

Edited by rorytheromulan (see edit history)

If more than one character with Child of the Crusade gets picked, and I happen to be one, it's easily possible for Alfrid and Torsten to be on different sides of an extended family, maybe Torsten had an uncle who married for love. If Teza has a brother, we can say he chose to marry his sister Dany. That could happen very recently. For Tanith, it could be a discovery. She might meet family she never knew she had in Mendev, and they could be Half-Elf in-laws of Alfrid's.

Just know: Alfrid has a huge extended family. It's assumed that if two share the last name "Shoven", they are definitely related by blood or by marriage.

10 hours ago, MrNeech said:

For a Paladin? Candles, sealing wax, incense. Bells are always a good one, though I have no idea if they play a part in exorcism rituals on Golarion.

In practical adventuring gear there's always rope. Marbles are good for a laugh and useful if no one can cast Grease. Sewing needles. A whistle.

Marbles are a lot of fun. Hard to get any good use out of them beyond the first couple levels but it's so much fun when the go off.

10 hours ago, Havic1137 said:

Rope and empty bags/vials. Always have rope and you'd be surprised where empty containers come up.

Solid ideas. All the more reason to invest in a mule or pack animal though if I want to carry more than the one coil of rope.

9 hours ago, Kistler said:

I usually like to pack coffee or tea. Some spare clothes. Maybe some cards or dice to pass the time. String or twine.

A donkey or mule costs 8gp, and feed is 5cp/day.

I actually already packed her a teapot and some ceremonial rose tea, as is Milani's wont.

I am definitely considering a pack animal or steed, I'm just always apprehensive about bringing non-combat animals into scenarios when we aren't sure where the story will take us. And if I'm just using them to ferry goods, I might as well wait until I can get a Haversack or a Minor Bag of Holding.

5 hours ago, saithor said:

Bear traps. Caltrops. A Pomander might be useful against stench based nausea effects for the group. Signal Whistle. Earplugs.

I hadn't seen a pomander before. That's a good one. Works well with Milani's floral imagery, too, though the four-week limit makes me hesitate a bit.

4 hours ago, Trigun said:

Don't forget holy water as well.

Holy Water is a really good one, yeah, thanks for the recommendation. Don't know how I managed to overlook that on a Paladin.

2 hours ago, rorytheromulan said:

You might want to drop an extra 75 to trade up for a chain shirt, and then 30 gold for a pony, if you feel like your character would have need for one, but a mount's usefulness as a pack animal depends on the DM's approach. And I feel like it should be a simple matter to drop the shield or put it away, depends on what you're trying to do (like pick a lock pocket).

Consider items that would would make sense for Nata to have or want to acquire, as a self-taught survivalist.

Speaking of skills: if you want to kick ass for the Lord a little bit better, why not drop Int by 1 and give it to Strength, and plan increasing Strength to 14 at level 4?

Chain shirt was my original plan, but the extra 5 lbs would push me into encumbered. Though yeah I'll definitely look into other survival gear for her.

I don't want to lower her INT any further because tbh I hate playing low-intelligence characters. Partly because I'm already hurting for skill points, partly because I feel dump stats can pigeonhole characters into particular roleplaying archetypes, especially the mental attributes, and I just don't enjoy playing dumb characters. 9 is honestly pushing it for me.

Her strength is definitely lower than I'd like for a Paladin, but honestly with the character as I've written her, I feel like her Strength and Charisma are too high.

Appreciate all the suggestions!