Prelude — Sandpoint

iantruesilver

image.png.ab6040353a22d9ab754788ba8cd3343f.png 

Darhana was soaking in the bath, enjoying herself, when the halfling came with another bucket of water.

"Thanks," she shouted.  She just poured the bucket of warm water over her and then she got out and toweled dry.  Putting on fresh clothes, she headed back up for her breakfast.  She didn't wear her armour for now, but she had her weapons with her.  Upon entering she noticed that some other people had gotten in.  She nodded to all before taking a spot where she could see the entire inn, putting her backpack next to her and waiting for her breakfast.

Lars & Noriko Only

spacer.png

As Ameiko whips up another omelette, a freckled redhead came in through the back, her head cocked curiously at the small gathering as she put on an apron. “Morning Noriko.”

Moving past the pair she joins Ameiko at the stove and the two catch up a little bit, one turning over information on today’s menu and prep that’s been completed and such. “Oh hey Lars, this is Azerian, my day cook.”

“Hi.” The redhead flashes a little smile at the young man with a brief greeting, before getting busy with collecting ingredients for the next meal.

Darhana & Kaichar Only

A few minutes later, Ameiko comes out through the kitchen door into the common room, plate of omelette in hand. She smiles a greeting to the half-elven woman before placing the meal down in front of her at her seat. “Hey. Let me know if you need anything else.”

By this time, the halfling has returned to the common room as well, and cautiously approaches the horned, red-skinned person to take his order. Understandably, much as Ameiko keeps a no judgement policy in her establishment, not often in Sandpoint does one see a creature as unique as this.

Though keeping a motherly eye on the goings on in her tavern, Ameiko does not interfere unless she has to, keeping with her norm. As she makes her way toward the back of the common room, she smiles and nods in Kaichar’s direction in silent greeting.

Having poured herself a steaming cup of coffee at the hearth, Ameiko settles down onto a single chair atop a small rug, a performing stage of sorts that’s been a defining feature of the Rusty Dragon since the young woman had taken ownership of the place.

She takes a long drag at the dark aromatic liquid, then places the cup down and picks up an odd-looking string instrument.

spacer.png

Ameiko’s fingers strum a few chords, and her voice begins to fill the space with a strange air of melancholy, both foreign and familiar all at once, singing in a language not native to Varisia by any means.

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

NorikoHS.PNG.b2302b42febc240e964d3faf81ee60b7.PNG

Noriko Kaino

The calm from her morning practice forms was fading rapidly, her fork scraping slowly against the plate. Noriko didn't object to helping out in the tavern - she lived here too after all - but sometimes Ameiko was just so infuriating. There were days when she sounded exactly like...Noriko's throat clenched and she desperately tried to clear her mind of the unwelcome memories. Become empty...become the void she repeated to herself, looking down at the plate and pointedly ignoring her sister.

She manages to regain most of her composure by the time Azerian comes in, returning the young woman's greeting. As Ameiko heads into the common room Noriko visibly relaxes, glad for the respite from her sister's badgering. The relief fades a few moments later as the first few strings sound through the tavern followed by Ameiko's voice. The song sounded sad even if you didn't understand the words; for Noriko it burned like salt in a wound. It had been one of her sister's favorites after their mother died. "Great choice for breakfast music nee-chan," she sighs, pushing away her plate.

image.png.ab6040353a22d9ab754788ba8cd3343f.png

Darhana nodded as her meal was brought and she immediately started digging in.  The food was actually not bad.  She was a bit surprised to see a tiefling in here, but as long as he didn't do anything, so wouldn't she.

She continued eating while Ameiko was signing, but when she was done, Darhana called out.

"You have something a bit upbeat?"

Ameiko took a brief moment to take another long drink of coffee, inhaling first the nose of the lightly roasted brew of beans. Then, dipping her fingers into a pouch at the side of her belt, she mumbles something incomprehensible under her breath, “ንፈስ ድም”

spacer.pngThen, as she dives full-tilt into her next number, the quality of the sound is completely different, as though even the instrument itself has somehow been magically transformed. Gone is the calm and acoustic clarity of the previous chords, replaced instead by reverberating notes carrying electrifying sound.

Noriko Only

The tune and tempo of this song may sound upbeat, but you know better.

spacer.pngNo sooner than the moment when she finished the song, Ameiko bolts up from her seat, her hands deftly returning the instrument to its stand beside the chair. She runs forwards, almost tumbling into the arms of a ruggedly handsome brown haired man with a neatly trimmed short boxed beard. “Sandru! When the devil did you get in town?”

“Just this morning. It’s good to see you Ameiko, you haven’t changed one bit… well maybe except for the inn owner part. You sure you ain’t just hanging out cause you’re bored?” The broad shouldered Sandru wrapped his arms around the considerably smaller Tian woman in an embrace, even as he took a proverbial jab at her new career choice. The two lingered there for the tiniest moment longer than some might consider platonically friendly, before pushing one another away.

As they did, Ameiko returned a cutting observation of her own, ”You reek of sweaty horses and crusty dirt Sandru. Go bathe for Shelyn’s sake.”

spacer.png

Lars finishes his omelet, even though he ate before coming to the tavern, remains still and quiet watching the happenings in the kitchen. He barely hears the other music against the symphony of pans.

OOC Specifics

If needed, a take 10 on stealth (I can't imagine there is any cover or concealment, so it should not matter) is 18.

Short Statblock|CisMale NG Half-Elf Rogue (unchained), Level 1, Init 4, HP 10/10, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 15, Flat-footed 13, CMD 16, Fort 2, Ref 6, Will 2, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
short sword +4 (1d6+1, 19-20 x2)
dagger +4 (1d4_1, 19-20 x2)
javelin (3) +4 (1d6+1, 20 x2)
studded leather (+3 Armor, +4 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
Condition +1 to attack rolls to those that threaten Shalelu; +1 perception to detect traps and to disable device skill to disarm them; +2 saving throw vs enchantment spells and effects; immune to magic sleep.
low light vision

Bianca Pohlo

apprentice_wizard_by_matbudimir_dcrqsex-pre.jpg

Amidst all the hubbub, the door to the Rusty Dragon creaks open once again, and a short young woman sidles in, a heavy satchel over one shoulder and a pile of books in her arms.

Bianca is a little surprised to see the inn so busy at this time in the morning; Sandpoint isn't a big place, and there aren't normally that many guests breaking fast.

Must be the festival, she muses, as she searches out a free table at the back of the common room, where it's a bit quieter. She notices that Ameiko is here, talking to Sandru, but she doesn't know everyone else... not that she really knows anyone in town that well, keeping as she does mostly to herself. Once she's found a seat, she sets her things down on the table and opens one of her books, hoping that the noise won't prove too much of a distraction for her reading.

spacer.pngJust as Bianca had sat down, the door swung open yet again hot on her heels, letting in a well dressed older man carrying a yellow cane of yellowish wood, who immediately gives off an air of educated and muted sophistication.

Ameiko barely had time to give Bianca a proper greeting before moving toward the new arrival, where an exchange of a curt nod precedes its verbal counterpart. “Good morning Madam Kaino. I expect you have fresh pastries for sale this morning?”

“Good morning Sebastien. Yes of course we do.” Ameiko straightens her apron, wiping off her hands on a tea towel she had tucked into her belt as she makes her way back behind the bar area near the kitchen, “I have apple fritters and cream puffs this morning, and I had a little shipment of maple syrup come in from Ustalav last week, so I experimented a little and made some maple cookies. How’s Runa doing?”

"Good, good. We shall have two of each then please, and a half dozen of the cookies if you'll be so kind." Sebastien replies as Ameiko calls back into the kitchen for Noriko to bring out some of the baked goods.

image.png.8bcfc428aa211905a96f16b9571ac904.png

Darhana continued her breakfast, keeping an eye on the other people in the inn.  She knew Sandru of course, having traveled with him on his last voyage to Sandpoint.  She had just finished her omelet when Ameiko told this Sebastien about pastries.  If there was one thing she had, it was a sweet tooth, so she was immediately interested.  She tried to attract someone to get some.

"Can I have some of those cream puffs, please," she asked when someone acknowledged her.

Edited by farothel (see edit history)

spacer.png

Kaichar

Looking up at the woman who comes by to take his order, it takes Kaichar more than a few beats to conjure the words to say. In the wild, words have limited use. Shalelu, his onetime savior also doesn't have much use for them. So to suggest that he is...unpracticed at talking to people is a gross understatement. He stares at the woman for a few uncomfortable moments, his face still. "Uh. Yes. Food...please." He nods gamely, trying to be both nonthreatening and polite at the same time. "Do you...can I have meat?" He asks uncertainly. "There is...usually meat. I would have some. Please." His tone is quiet, barely loud enough to be heard over the other noises in the inn.

"I can pay. How much?" He follows up quickly, as if he had forgotten and the idea of payment has only just come to him.

Bianca, Darhana & Kaichar only

spacer.png“Why, ‘coarse ye can ‘ave meat, ducky!” The halfling giggled, taken aback by the strange tiefling’s child-like directness and half-sentences, “‘Ows ye like it, inna soup with noodles, or inna toss’a eggs?”

The barmaid split her attention expertly as Darhana called for her to bring some cream puffs, “Yes m’love. I’ll come’n drop’em on ya in a shake or two.”

spacer.pngSeeing that Ameiko had seemingly gotten herself quite busy all of a sudden, Sandru whistles low under his breath in some fashion of disbelief, continues watching for a few moments, then shrugs and moves over closer to where Darhana’s seated at the table, “So, any luck?”

NorikoHS.PNG.b2302b42febc240e964d3faf81ee60b7.PNG

Noriko Kaino

"On my way sis!" Noriko calls back loud enough to be heard over the gathering crowd out front before hurriedly bustling around the kitchen, weaving deftly around Lars. "You should try some of this when I get back if there's any left." Flashing the half-elf a quick smile she backs through the door to the main area, tray in her hands. Turning away from the kitchen she almost misses a step at the sight of the massive fiendish form, but quickly recovers and heads for Ameiko. Still her eyes drift towards the Tiefling. She had seen him around a few times but he was still a strange sight, though he always seemed incongruously polite and gentle.

spacer.pngAmeiko and Sebastien continue in polite conversation, as Noriko brings some of the baked goods out to the front. "Mistress has been deep in study lately. Though keeping current with town business, she seems to have developed some interest in that odd job that the town council had posted a flyer for yesterday. From the sounds of it, the workers at the Pyre may have experienced some trouble during their restoration efforts."

"Oh, you mean the old crypt? I had heard the council wanted to do some cleaning up in there, but I didn't know they actually went ahead with it. I wonder what could’ve happened?" Carefully packaging up the treats, Ameiko hands the small basket over to Sebastien, and a prompt exchange of goods for coin is made.

spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

"The council hasn’t been very forthcoming with details Madam. Judging from the ad, I am inclined to believe they want to keep it that way.” With that, he fished out a piece of paper from a pocket inside his suit jacket, unfolding it and pushing it across the bar towards the innkeeper, “However from what I've been told by counsellor Scarnetti, some of the men have fled the job site and are refusing to go back."

Noriko Only

spacer.png

image.png.5248c381aaecbcba9b8ca9f631612e8e.png

Darhana gave the barmaid a thumbs up as she finished her omelet.

When Sandru comes around, she looks at him.

"Depends on how you see it.  Work, not yet.  A nice refreshing bath and a good breakfast, yes, that worked quite well.  You were right, the food is good here."

Bianca Pohlo

apprentice_wizard_by_matbudimir_dcrqsex-pre.jpg

Bianca tries to focus on her book, but she can't help but stare a bit at the tiefling sat in another corner of the room. Everyone in town knows about him, of course, but he's still strange to look at.

It's not his fault, she thinks to herself. In fact, she probably knows better than most of Sandpoint's inhabitants that there's no harm to being a tiefling, having read all about the "planetouched" races in some of her more esoteric books. It's still hard not to stare, though, so she turns her attention to ordering a drink. Unfortunately, the bartender seems to have her work cut out for her with the patrons closer by the bar, and Bianca's very pathetic attempt to catch her eye doesn't seem to accomplish anything. Sighing, she turns back to her book, trying to find her place again.