Prelude — Sandpoint

iantruesilver

NorikoHS.PNG.b2302b42febc240e964d3faf81ee60b7.PNG

Noriko Kaino

"You're going to ask about the job posting as well?" At Ameiko's direction she steps over towards Darhana and the massive Tiefling, then gestures hesitantly to Lars. "Ah, we were just talking about that as well. If we're all interested it would be better to work in harmony, yes?"

image.png.5248c381aaecbcba9b8ca9f631612e8e.png

"Sure, why not," Darhana said, "Let's go and have a look at what exactly they want us to do.  The name's Darhana by the way."

She took the paper off the board before heading out, assuming the rest would follow, towards the city hall to ask about the job.  Arriving there she would ask where she had to be for this job, showing the paper if needed.

Outside of the Rusty Dragon, Sandpoint in is a glorious display of a Varisian autumn mid-morning.  Several leaves of varying shades ranging from red to orange, yellow to green blow across Market Street in the gentle sea breeze, with it carrying a slightly salty tinge in the air.  Across the street, Sandpoint Boutique is just opening its doors, the shopowner putting out her sign and some wares out onto the front of the building.  Down the street toward the west, a few people are already busy purchasing meats from the butcher at the Sandpoint Meat Market, while a few people seem to be coming in and out of the Mercantile League building carrying whatever business and documents they have with the town's major trade commissaries.

Beyond that, at the junction of Festival, Market and Water Streets, the Sandpoint Market is bustling with activity, some farmers having set up stalls or mats upon which are piled full of fresh produce, while Sandru's caravan has brought various curios and wares from other parts of Varisia to sell to the locals.  Continuing up Water Street and around the corner from Turandurok Academy, one finds themselves on Main Street, where the mood is noticably more subdued, though still not without some small amounts of foot traffic around the various shops.  Along the way, one can't help but notice a pair of posters advertising Sandpoint Theatre's "star studded" new production, "The Harpy's Curse".

spacer.png

Then, just before one gets to Tower Street, the Sandpoint Town Hall stands on the right, directly opposite from the town's Garrison building.  A two level affair, the Town Hall serves as the town's meeting hall, offices for the town's nobles, as well as the town's bank.  A notice board stands outside the front entrance, with various ads relaying information on jobs and other notices posted for public view.

spacer.png

[[ Map of Sandpoint ]]

spacer.png

On the walk to the townhall, after a quick nod greeting to Kaichar, as they have met before - both being pupils of Shalelu. Lars addresses the group, "I'm Lars."

OOC Specifics

Short Statblock|CisMale NG Half-Elf Rogue (unchained), Level 1, Init 4, HP 10/10, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 15, Flat-footed 13, CMD 16, Fort 2, Ref 6, Will 2, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
short sword +4 (1d6+1, 19-20 x2)
dagger +4 (1d4_1, 19-20 x2)
javelin (3) +4 (1d6+1, 20 x2)
studded leather (+3 Armor, +4 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
Condition +1 to attack rolls to those that threaten Shalelu; +1 perception to detect traps and to disable device skill to disarm them; +2 saving throw vs enchantment spells and effects; immune to magic sleep.
low light vision

NorikoHS.PNG.b2302b42febc240e964d3faf81ee60b7.PNG

Noriko Kaino

After introducing herself and breifly returning to the kitchen to retrieve her sword Noriko follows along with the group through the bustling morning streets. Getting momentarily distracted by the advertisements for the new play she hurries to catch up, reconnecting with the group just as the reach the town hall. Following Darhana inside she offers a small bow to the person at the front desk. "Good day," she begins formally. "We are here to inquire about the job posting." The girl gestures to the notice flyer that Darhana holds up.

The front reception area inside Sandpoint's town hall is by no means an opulent affair — a desk for the clerk, a couple of shelves caching various documents.  While not at all a dreary workplace, the best things it has going for it are the pointed arch windows on one wall, and a set of wall hangings framed on the opposite side, artistically depicting some parts of the town's earlier history.

spacer.pngAt first the reception desk seemed to be unoccupied, but then as you look about you notice the sound of hurried footsteps coming through one of the doors leading from another area in the back.  This is followed by a female voice profusely apologizing as she approaches, "Oh!  I'm so sorry, did you have an appointment?  Business?  Banking deposits perhaps?"

The voice belonged to a young female gnome, standing approximately three foot two, who looked curiously from one face to the other.  She seemed to be either confused of preoccupied for quite a few moments before cluing in to the fact that you are here seeking information about the job.  "Oh!  The job!  Yes yes.  Miss Runa Derelith has assumed the human resources sourcing for that, but whatever I guess, I suppose I could help you, y'know what I'm sayin'?  What is it you want to know?"

"The usual," Darhana said, "what is the job exactly, as the paper isn't all that forthcoming with details?  Where is it, as it's only mentioned outside of Sandpoint, but that's quite a large part of the world?  Things like that."

She wasn't sure that the receptionist would know all the details, but if all else failed, they could still go and search for this Runa Derelith.

"Um, well...  Well technicallyspacer.png Miss Derelith's already responsible for all of that, but I suppose it couldn't hurt.  I mean if you're already here with that ad, chances are you probably got it from her butler right?"  The gnome reasoned aloud for a moment, more to herself it seems than to any of you, as though you were only mirrors at which she could bounce off her logic.

Then, retrieving a small file from the shelf behind her, she quickly skims through it before verbalizing the information to you, "Says here the council has commissioned some cleanup and restoration work for the Pyre a few weeks ago, so that Sandpoint can revive the tradition of honouring the old rituals for the Swallowtail Festival coming up next week..."

"That work has stopped for some unknown reason, and Sir Jasper Korvaski has reported that the workers have fled the work site and are refusing to return."  The gnome continues with her nose burried in the file, "Your role is to investigate the cause, and resolve it if possible, so that the restoration efforts can be resumed."

Bianca Pohlo

apprentice_wizard_by_matbudimir_dcrqsex-pre.jpg

Still not really sure what she's getting herself into, Bianca reluctantly follows the ragtag band across town to the town hall, hurriedly shoving her books back into her bag before doing so. It occurs to her, as she lugs them across town, that perhaps she brought too many books with her this morning - not least because she doesn't seem to be getting any chance to read them!

Her musings end as the nature of the task is finally revealed - though that only opens up new questions.

"The workers have fled?" she asks, frowning quizzically. "From the Pyre? Did they say why? The Pyre isn't that far from town - there shouldn't be anything dangerous out there, surely?"

"spacer.pngActually, that’s all I got here for notes in my file.” The gnome shrugged haplessly at Bianca, her blonde bangs and the occasional tress of red hair bouncing slightly on her head as she shook in reply. "I mean, I would assume not? But then, why would the workers flee otherwise? Guess that’s probably why the council’s hiring help to get this thing sorted out."

"And for that we're getting 750gp, right," Darhana asked.  She was happy that at least one person had been in this town for long enough to know a few of the locations around it.  And she knew that some townies were afraid of their own shadow, so she hoped that it was just that.

"spacer.pngLet's see here... ” The gnome once again buried her nose into the file, digging it up after a few seconds of scanning it for information, "Yes, the reward is 750 gold pieces.  That's granted the work can resume on time to be completed for the Festival."

"Your guess is as good as mine, Miss Kaino. ” Looking toward the young Tian woman, the clerk throws up her arms in some gesture of defeat, "I suppose you could start by asking Sir Jasper?  He'd most likely be at the Mercantile League office if anything."

spacer.png

Kaichar

Kaichar hangs awkwardly at the back of the group, not really contributing to the questioning. Rather, he ponders the situation as it unfolds through the telling of the gnome woman. People abandoning a work site near town? When animals vacate an area, it's usually because their environment has become unsuitable, or because a predator has moved into the area. Does the same apply to people? He surmises that as much could be true.

"Um. Probably a predator of some sort." He pipes up quietly from the back of the group where it is impossibly for him to hide thanks to his bulk. "If a pack of wolves moved into the area, most of the animals would move on. People probably should too." He continues. That was helpful, wasn't it? "Maybe we could encourage them to move on." He suggests.