Prelude — Sandpoint

iantruesilver

image.png.5248c381aaecbcba9b8ca9f631612e8e.png

Darhana ignored the conversation around her until she had finished her meal.

"Indeed, best to get moving," she said, before looking at the other tiefling who had joined, "You want to come too?  We're going to investigate some tombs that scared the locals.  A cleric can be a good addition."

Sister Azura

54 minutes ago, TheFred said:

"I'm just... I'm just trying to help... but I'm not a soldier or a-- a-- an adventurer. I can't fight monsters!"

654945713_PNGimage.png.43e39c008b5a6a0461eb3aa3b4a85ff7.png

"Neither am I!" says Azura cheerfully. She gratefully took the seat offered by the cavalier and tucked into her food, chatting about nothing of import to anyone who would listen, and even those who didn't want to listen. The tiefling doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the shed, but she is a skilled conversationalist.

Azura thinks over Darhana's offer. "I don't think any of the clerics at the Cathedral would be willing and able to leave town to explore a tomb," she muses. "But I can come instead. I can't heal, but I'm good with a blade. I'll just need to collect my equipment from the Cathedral, and change into something more suitable. And don't worry," she says with a grin, patting Bianca on the shoulder. "You can just stay behind me. I'm spiky enough that it'll take a good few bites for any monster to eat me. There should be more than enough time for you to run away if push comes to shove."

"Sandpoint isn't big, so making a detour to the cathedral to pick up your stuff isn't a problem," Darhana said, "I also need to quickly get to my room to pick up some extra stuff."

She looks at Bianca.

"Depends on what you call fighting.  If you can help us with identifying the critters and lobbing a few spells at them, you're also 'fighting'.  you don't have to go toe to toe with them, of course, but that doesn't mean you can't help."

Neskas Weengoditin

spacer.pngNeskas just nods. "I'll go double-check Snappy's tack. See you all outside in a few." He ambles out of the inn to doublecheck that his mount's barding and such is all ready for possible combat.

Statblock

Neskas Weengoditin S NG Gnome Cavalier, [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 13/13, [B]Speed[/B] 15[B]AC[/B] 19, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 18, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 4, [B]Ref[/B] 1, [B]Will[/B] 1, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1   [B]reach Lance (-) [/B] 4 (1d6+2, x3)[B]  Longsword (-) [/B] 4 (1d6+2, 19-20/x2)[B]  Shortbow (20) [/B] 3 (1d4, x3)[B]  Scale Mail[/B], [B]  Heavy Steel Shield[/B] (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex, +1 Size)[B]Abilities[/B] Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 14[B]Condition[/B] None 

Snappy
M N WolfDog Mount (Charger), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 2, [B]HP[/B] 18/18, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 17, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]CMD[/b] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 4, [B]Ref[/B] 5, [B]Will[/B] 1, [B]CMB[/B] +3, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1   
[B]  Bite [/B] 3 (1d6+2, x2)
[B]  Studded Leather Barding[/B] (+3 Armor, +2 Dex, +2 Deflect)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 15, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Actions Crunch and OOC

For details and ooc notes

Bianca Pohlo

apprentice_wizard_by_matbudimir_dcrqsex-pre.jpg

Bianca blinks at the others, not sure what to make of all this.

"I, um, I can't "lob spells"... that's not... how it works..." she mumbles. There seem to be a lot of common misconceptions about what arcanism is amongst those who hadn't studied it. "I've mostly studied the theory... that is, I do know some incantations, but..."

She shakes her head, realising that she's getting distracted again.

"This is silly, anyway," she says. "There can't be an actual monster, so close to Sandpoint! I suppose... if there's a crypt, it could be something that was lurking inside? I was reading an interesting reference on the ecology of ghouls and it discussed... well, um, anyway, something like that could have snuck out and attacked the horses, maybe? Things like that are rare, though. It's more likely a wild animal."

Having gathered the necessary information on their job and indulging in a nourishing lunch at the Rusty Dragon, the small group of would-be problem solvers gathered their things and set out toward the Pyre, exiting the town of Sandpoint via the southern bridge.  Sandpoint bridge is unattended as usual, crossing the lazy Turandarok River just before where its mouth empties into the small protected bay in Sandpoint Harbour.

Just over the other side, the winding length of Lost Coast Road splits off to Schooner Gulch Road, before it begins to cut through the forestry in the surrounding valley of the penninsula in earnest.  A gentle onshore breeze still carries with it light wafts of the ocean's salt air, though a bank of dark clouds from the windward direction looks as though it might threaten to bring some rain into the area soon.

(( Please feel free to post as much detail as you feel you need to on the process of getting out of town.  Once there, please roll perception checks when ready. ))

Statblock

Darhana
Female CG Half-elf Ranger (Guide), Level 1, Init 3, HP 12/12,Speed 40ft
AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   
2-handed longbow (60) +4 (1d8, x3)
Longsword +2 (1d8+1, 19-20/x2)
dagger (cold iron) +2 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
Studded Leather, light wooden shield (+3 Armor, +1 Shield, +3 Dex)
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 10
Condition: None 

Darhana would pick up her gear from her room and then head out.  Picking up all the people who wanted to join and also passing by the cathedral to pick up Azura, she would then take the lead when they were outside of the town.

"I'm quite good at scouting in the wild," she said as soon as they passed out of the town, "so maybe it's best if I scout a bit ahead and warn you of any issues that might arise.  Of course, everybody should be very careful and look around."

She would then move out a bit ahead of the group and carefully looking around, also for tracks that might tell what happened.

OOC

As I have movement 40ft, I should be able to scout ahead of the group

Name
perception
1d20+10 12

Sister Azura

654945713_PNGimage.png.43e39c008b5a6a0461eb3aa3b4a85ff7.pngAfter finishing her meal, Azura heads back to the Cathedral. There, she finds Lynda, her caretaker, painting in the chambers the two share. Lynda is a middle aged human woman of common stock, though she is no less vibrant for it.

Now away from the group and no longer feeling a need to make a good impression, Azura babbles excitedly to the priestess as she collects her arms and armour. Lynda smiles knowingly when Azura mentions that Ameiko was absent, but otherwise is silent throughout. "I will not stop you from going, child, but please, promise me that you will be safe. And careful," Lynda pleads.

"Of course! When am I not careful?" Azura responds. Sadly, she has already rushed out of the room before Lynda can begin reciting the very long list of times when Azura was, in fact, not careful. The priestess sighs, and utters a small prayer to the Eternal Rose. She looks around at the chambers once more. Suddenly, they seem so much emptier than they had been, scant minutes before.

Azura takes a moment to calm herself before stepping out of the Cathedral to meet with Darhana and the rest of the group. Gone are the silks, replaced now with tough hide armour. Iomedae's symbol sits proudly on the tiefling's hip, and she has a wide array of weapons on her person, from javelins to a longsword, to a blade that appears to be of Tian make. "I hope I didn't leave you waiting long. Shall we head out?"

Once the group is outside of Sandpoint, Azura agrees to Darhana scouting ahead. The tiefling takes her position of the front of those who remain, making good on her promise to Bianca to put herself between the scholar and any monsters they may encounter.

Name
Perception
1d20+5 7

Neskas Weengoditin

spacer.pngNeskas mounts up. Seeing Azura take the lead, he shifts to a rear-guard position. He rides along placidly, eyes scanning the surroundings in the manner of a slightly bored but competent guard - ok so maybe more than slightly bored.

Statblock

Neskas Weengoditin S NG Gnome Cavalier, [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 13/13, [B]Speed[/B] 15[B]AC[/B] 19, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 18, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 4, [B]Ref[/B] 1, [B]Will[/B] 1, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1   [B]reach Lance (-) [/B] 4 (1d6+2, x3)[B]  Longsword (-) [/B] 4 (1d6+2, 19-20/x2)[B]  Shortbow (20) [/B] 3 (1d4, x3)[B]  Scale Mail[/B], [B]  Heavy Steel Shield[/B] (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex, +1 Size)[B]Abilities[/B] Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 14[B]Condition[/B] None 

Snappy
M N WolfDog Mount (Charger), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 2, [B]HP[/B] 18/18, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 17, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]CMD[/b] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 4, [B]Ref[/B] 5, [B]Will[/B] 1, [B]CMB[/B] +3, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1   
[B]  Bite [/B] 3 (1d6+2, x2)
[B]  Studded Leather Barding[/B] (+3 Armor, +2 Dex, +2 Deflect)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 15, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Actions Crunch and OOC

For details and ooc notes

Edited by Inash (see edit history)
Name
perception
1d20+7 1

spacer.png

Kaichar

Outside of Sandpoint, Kaichar loses some of the tension being held in his body. His movements become more relaxed, and he stands up straighter. He brings up the rear of the group, his eyes bright and his fuzzy ears flickering and twitching at the comforting sounds of nature. He gives Snappy a wide berth as they travel, his unnatural nature putting the wolf dog on edge by his mere presence alone.

Bianca Pohlo

apprentice_wizard_by_matbudimir_dcrqsex-pre.jpg

After a lot of prevarication, Bianca reluctantly agrees to go with the group, telling herself that all this talk of monsters is just silly rumour blown all out of proportion. If anything, they might appreciate a rational mind to analyse the evidence without such foolish preconceptions.

She leaves (most of) her books with Ameiko, asking her to let her father know where she's gone if he should come looking for her - and almost abandons the idea of going along when she thinks of what he might say about it. But, the way Ameiko looks at her, almost as if she's impressed, toughens her resolve not to back out now. Besides, they'll be back in no time.

All in all, she's more than a little flustered as the group crosses the Turandarok, glancing around occasionally - and nervously - but mostly focused on her own thoughts.

Edited by TheFred (see edit history)
Name
Perception
1d20+3 10

About ten to fifteen minutes into the brush, the group has settled into a bit of a rhythm. Darhana at the front, scouting ahead along the road while the others gaggled in a bit of a huddle behind.

The winding road cuts through the forest, the autumn leaves making a colourful foliage of greens, golds, oranges, reds and magentas, casting shadow from up on the branches and lining the path under their feet.

Azusa, Bianca and Darhana Only

Around the bend ahead, there looks to be a large fallen tree blocking the road.

Darhana Only

There’s three orcs in the brush just before the downed tree, laying in wait. Their skill at stealth is clearly lacking.

[[ Map — Along Lost Coast Road ]]

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)
Name
???
1d20 4

Statblock

Darhana
Female CG Half-elf Ranger (Guide), Level 1, Init 3, HP 12/12,Speed 40ft
AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   
2-handed longbow (60) +4 (1d8, x3)
Longsword +2 (1d8+1, 19-20/x2)
dagger (cold iron) +2 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
Studded Leather, light wooden shield (+3 Armor, +1 Shield, +3 Dex)
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 10
Condition: None 

Darhana was on happy to be in the forest, an environment that she liked more than a city.  She did look out though, as she was quite aware of many dangers of the forest, so she had her bow out, just in case

"Three Orcs," she called out to the others, as she moved to cover (should they have ranged weapons, which was quite possible), grabbed an arrow and fired at one of them.

Surprise Round

move into cover (done on map, but as it's not clear where cover is, I can move up to 40ft.  Not going closer, but I can go either way).

Then one attack on one of the orcs (don't know the modifiers, so I'll just roll my regular attack and then let the GM sort it out).

Name
attack
1d20+4 19
damage
1d8 7
initiative
1d20+3 14