Prelude — Sandpoint

iantruesilver

spacer.png

Lars listens to the talk of the task, and his eyes light up a bit to the sound the sum of gold offered.  He makes way to where Bianca and Darhana are conversing, but waits for Biana to reply, avoiding interrupting their talk.

OOC Specifics

Short Statblock|CisMale NG Half-Elf Rogue (unchained), Level 1, Init 4, HP 10/10, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 15, Flat-footed 13, CMD 16, Fort 2, Ref 6, Will 2, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
short sword +4 (1d6+1, 19-20 x2)
dagger +4 (1d4_1, 19-20 x2)
javelin (3) +4 (1d6+1, 20 x2)
studded leather (+3 Armor, +4 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
Condition +1 to attack rolls to those that threaten Shalelu; +1 perception to detect traps and to disable device skill to disarm them; +2 saving throw vs enchantment spells and effects; immune to magic sleep.
low light vision

Common Room — Bianca, Darhana, Kaichar & Lars

spacer.pngThe tavern’s activity has slowed somewhat now that Sebastien has departed and Sandru has gone up the stairs to try to find a bath. Ameiko continues to brew another coffee on the hearth, and the halfling has gone off to do a bit of cleaning up elsewhere after delivering Kaichar’s breakfast and making sure his wants are sufficiently tended to.

“Take my advice. It doesn’t hurt to take more than you think you’ll need.” Ameiko indicated Lars and Kaichar with a tilt of her head as she spoke to Darhana.

With that said, she refocuses her attention on her coffee making, mumbling yet another little arcane phrase before pouring a foamy substance onto the cup and shaping it. With a few drizzles here and a couple sprinkles of powdery colour there, she finishes her concoction and heads back for the kitchen.

Kitchen — Noriko

A few short minutes pass by as Noriko returns to the kitchen and stuffs her face with a pastry, Azerian watching on in curiosity as her hands keep busy with prep for the remainder of the day.

Soon enough, Ameiko returns and stands beside her little sister, her hand gently sliding a cup in front of Noriko and deliberately making the contents jiggle a little.

spacer.png

”No smile? C’mon… I know it’s in there somewhere.” A light jab perhaps, but one she was confident would help salve over a fresh wound.

After a moment she continues, “Anyway why are you even here right now? Don’t you remember it’s your day off?”

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

Bianca Pohlo

apprentice_wizard_by_matbudimir_dcrqsex-pre.jpg

The drink has a strangely bitter underlying taste, but with the amount of frothy milk in it is quite delicious. Unfortunately, Bianca almost inhales some of the hot liquid as Ameiko suggests she might be some kind of adventurer. At first she's too busy trying not to choke - and to cover up the embarrassing moment - to reply.

"I, uh... what?" She says, blinking at Ameiko, who appears to be smiling at her in an infuriatingly smug manner. "I, um... no, I... well, I mean, I am studying..."

She trails off lamely, looking at the devious innkeeper pleadingly. What was she playing at? Of course, any manner of task or challenge would be no problem for the famous and rather wonderful Ameiko, but for the normal residents of Sandpoint, being volunteered for who-knows-what is hardly something one takes easily.

"I'm not a-- an adventurer," she explains, or tries to. "I, um, I suppose if you had a question... I am studying..."

As if by way of explanation, as if saying it twice wasn't enough she pulls her heavy book closer to her. From close up, it's clear that alongside the dense text are complicated-looking diagrams and strange formulae, lots of little letters but not spelling any whole words and liberally sprinkled with odd symbols.

spacer.png

Kaichar

It doesn't take the gangly tiefling long to consume his food. A combination of a large mouth and no small amount of hunger means he makes short work of the meal. Uncertain in civilisation, Kaichar stands and collects his plate and utensils, stooping as he moves through the common room. Gently he places the items down on the countertop. He clasps his hands together, hiding a nervous tremor that is betrayed by a lashing tail and ears that flicker towards each different sound. Shalelu had told him he needed practice amongst civilised people. It was all well and good to live in the forests, far from others, but there may come a time when he would have need of people like those who lived in Sandpoint. He needed to be used to people. And the people needed to get used to him. Otherwise he could find himself in hot water.

No-one was ever upset with those willing to lend a helping hand. Or claw. "Uhm. Sir? No, um. Miss? Ma'am?" He uncertainly flags down Ameiko as she heads towards the kitchen. "Did I hear right? There might be work? A job?" He keeps his movements slow and gentle. This woman had magic. It didn't pay to make spellcasters nervous.

image.png.5248c381aaecbcba9b8ca9f631612e8e.png

"And you don't want to get out from time to time," Darhana said, a bit surprised.  She started to get annoyed if she spent more than a week in a town without going out in the forest or something similarly naturly.

"Besides, isn't studying expensive?  It pays quite well, you know."

Bianca Pohlo

Bianca blinks, not quite sure how to respond to the other woman. She doesn't really want to start discussing her finances with a stranger, and truth be told she's quite happy not getting out; she came here to find a spot to read, and she's barely made it through a page of her current book. Ameiko, though, seemed to think it would be a good idea.

"Well, I, uh..." She looks around, hoping for some kind of resolution to her conundrum - but none is forthcoming. "Well, um, what do you need? I can't very well set off on some-- some kind of adventure! But, uh, I suppose if you needed some kind of, um, arcane advice... I'm not a professional arcanist, mind you. But I might be able to help?"

"I don't know yet exactly what we need," Darhana said, "The advert mentioned an investigation close to but probably outside of the town.  I was going to head over to the townhall to get the particularities.  Why don't you join me and that way you can hear first hand, instead of having to rely on second hand information."

spacer.png

Lars nods, though no one is asking him anything and begins to talk and stops, turns and walks back to Noriko, sheepishly. "I am sorry ma'am, I was rude to you, but I am not used to crowds any more" motioning to the not very crowded inn before continuing, "and when I heard there was possible work, my mind went there." He again pauses trying to gauge her reaction, before concluding, "I know it is too soon to ask for your pardon, but I wanted you to know. " He bows slightly, backs away slowly as if she was a noble one did not turn one's back to, before he stops and adds, "I am going to the townhall to get the particulars of the job. If you were also going there, we could walk there together."

OOC Specifics

hopefully, this conveys one trained in diplomacy but not still not very good at it.

Short Statblock|CisMale NG Half-Elf Rogue (unchained), Level 1, Init 4, HP 10/10, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 15, Flat-footed 13, CMD 16, Fort 2, Ref 6, Will 2, CMB +1, Base Attack Bonus 0
short sword +4 (1d6+1, 19-20 x2)
dagger +4 (1d4_1, 19-20 x2)
javelin (3) +4 (1d6+1, 20 x2)
studded leather (+3 Armor, +4 Dex)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
Condition +1 to attack rolls to those that threaten Shalelu; +1 perception to detect traps and to disable device skill to disarm them; +2 saving throw vs enchantment spells and effects; immune to magic sleep.
low light vision

Bianca Pohlo

Bianca shakes her head, initially unconvinced. "Oh, no, I think I..." she begins. Then she glances over at Ameiko. Perhaps the other woman was simply trying to get her to... well, be more adventurous?

"Um... well... very well, then," she says reluctantly, nodding. "I can come with you to see what the trouble is. I, um, that is to say - I don't think I can help, not if it's a... well, we can see. Maybe there is a magical solution to... um, whatever the problem is?"

NorikoHS.PNG.b2302b42febc240e964d3faf81ee60b7.PNG

Noriko Kaino

Slumped against a counter Noriko finishes her pastry, not really tasting it. Why was Ameiko so much better at this than she was? She was still just the kid sister tagging along...

The girl didn't even notice Ameiko's approach until the adorable mug slides into her view. "Hey, nee-chan." Noriko manages a half smile at least; the trick with the coffee foam was one her sister's favorites and it was hard to be upset when staring at the tiny floating cats. "I came inside for breakfast and then you put me to work, remember?" Poking the mug and watching the foam she sighs. "Am I just invisible? How do you-" She cuts off abruptly as the kitchen door swings open to reveal Lars standing there offering an apology. Trying not to gape she just nods until he mentions the job. "Um...sure." Grabbing her coffee she starts to follow him back into the common room, shooting her sister a sideways glance as she goes. "Did you say something to him?"

"Good," Darhana said, "Finish your breakfast and then we'll go."

In the meantime, her sensitive ears had picked up a conversation at the bar. 

"Hey," she said, walking over to the bar, "If you're interested in the job, you can join us when we go over.  I'm Darhana by the way and I'm good in tracking and shooting.  You?"

Kitchen — Kaichar, Lars & Noriko

spacer.png“Yeah I know. You were standing around getting in the way!” Ameiko smirked at her little sister as she gave a witty counter to deflect the statement of fact, but then even that sisterly mischief softened as she noticed Noriko’s moment of self-doubt and evaporating self-esteem, “You’re just an angel in disguise 順ちんNori-chin

*〜ちん (~chin): Further diminutive form of 〜ちゃん (~chan), which is in itself a diminutive of the 〜さん (~san) honorific. Typically used toward children, specially girls, or younger women with whom you are intimate or familiar, also pets and mascot characters. Common use of this diminutive is often contracted into the subject’s name.
, that’s all.”

It was that moment when Lars cut in with his apology. Initially Ameiko flashed him a brief and warding side glance, but kept her mouth shut and didn’t interrupt, and that too melted away at the end to give way to a shrug and an innocent smile, followed by a light nudging at her little sister’s back, “Maybe you just need to learn to spread your wings a little more, and not be so worried about hiding them all the time.”

Effectively shooing the pair out the kitchen door, Ameiko is once again stopped in her tracks, this time by questions from the tiefling with his very unique appearance. She paused for a moment before directing him, “Sounds to me like Darhana over there is taking the lead on that, you might want to talk to her if you’re interested.”

Edited by iantruesilver (see edit history)

spacer.png

Kaichar

Kaichar spins at the question, partially guided by Ameiko's suggestion. "Hello." He keeps his head low, being conscious of the height of his horns, and the general size of his frame. "I am...good in the wilderness. Much better than here." He gestures vaguely at the space around them. "I learned a little magic. From a druid." He shrugs. "Would that be...useful? Shalelu says I need to get better at um. Dealing with people. I would like the experience."

"I can probably use some more experience in that as well," Darhana said with a grin, "but you're in luck, as this thing seems to be outside of town, so while some interaction might be needed, there will also be trees and such."

A druid, Darhana thought, interesting to say the least.