Prelude — Sandpoint

iantruesilver

image.png.5248c381aaecbcba9b8ca9f631612e8e.png

Statblock

Darhana
Female CG Half-elf Ranger (Guide), Level 1, Init 3, HP 12/12,Speed 40ft
AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   
2-handed longbow (60) +4 (1d8, x3)
Longsword +2 (1d8+1, 19-20/x2)
dagger (cold iron) +2 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2)
Studded Leather, light wooden shield (+3 Armor, +1 Shield, +3 Dex)
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 10
Condition: None 

"they were probably searching for food and loot," Darhana said, having encountered Orcs before, "so this was either a forage party or a scout party, but no, these aren't the only ones.  Orcs come in larger groups."

Wondering as well what they were doing here, she did check them on old wounds and the like to see if for instance they were what was left over of a tribe after a fight or if they were indeed just a scout party.

Name
heal check for old wounds
1d20+5 7

Neskas Weengoditin

spacer.pngNeskas glances at the equipment taken from the orcs. "We can either leave that here to pick up on the way back to town or Snappy can carry most of it, not much more than that though or he'll be slowed down." 

Statblock

Neskas Weengoditin S NG Gnome Cavalier, [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init15[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 13/13, [B]Speed[/B] 15[B]AC[/B] 19, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 18, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 4, [B]Ref[/B] 1, [B]Will[/B] 1, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1   [B]reach Lance (-) [/B] 4 (1d6+2, x3)[B]  Longsword (-) [/B] 4 (1d6+2, 19-20/x2)[B]  Shortbow (20) [/B] 3 (1d4, x3)[B]  Scale Mail[/B], [B]  Heavy Steel Shield[/B] (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex, +1 Size)[B]Abilities[/B] Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 14[B]Condition[/B] None 

Snappy
M N WolfDog Mount (Charger), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 2, [B]HP[/B] 18/18, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 17, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]CMD[/b] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 4, [B]Ref[/B] 5, [B]Will[/B] 1, [B]CMB[/B] +3, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1   
[B]  Bite [/B] 3 (1d6+2, x2)
[B]  Studded Leather Barding[/B] (+3 Armor, +2 Dex, +2 Deflect)
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 15, Dex 15, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Actions Crunch and OOC

Move: 30' on mount

Standard: share teamwork feat Escape Route

Statblock

Darhana
AC 17, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, CMD 15, Fort 3, Ref 5, Will 1, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 1   

"I think it's best only to take what we need and leave the rest here," Darhana said, "The javelins we might use, the axe as well, but I don't think we need all the extra armour.  And I doubt there is anything magical here, although we could check for that, just in case."

She looked at Bianca for that.

Neskas Weengoditin

spacer.pngNeskas shurgs. "Each suit is a worth couple weeks worth of good meals I think. Might as well sell them if we can. I agree that it doesn't make sense to carry them though."  

He dismounts and piles the armor under some brush before strapping the axe and javelins behind Snappy's saddle.

Statblock

Neskas Weengoditin S NG Gnome Cavalier, [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init15[/B] 3, [B]HP[/B] 13/13, [B]Speed[/B] 15[B]AC[/B] 19, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 18, [B]CMD[/b] 13, [B]Fort[/B] 4, [B]Ref[/B] 1, [B]Will[/B] 1, [B]CMB[/B] +2, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1   [B]reach Lance (-) [/B] 4 (1d6+2, x3)[B]  Longsword (-) [/B] 4 (1d6+2, 19-20/x2)[B]  Shortbow (20) [/B] 3 (1d4, x3)[B]  Scale Mail[/B], [B]  Heavy Steel Shield[/B] (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex, +1 Size)[B]Abilities[/B] Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 14[B]Condition[/B] None 

Snappy
M N WolfDog Mount (Charger), [B]Level[/B] 1, [B]Init[/B] 2, [B]HP[/B] 18/18, [B]Speed[/B] 30
[B]AC[/B] 17, [B]Touch[/B] 12, [B]Flat-footed[/B] 15, [B]CMD[/b] 15, [B]Fort[/B] 4, [B]Ref[/B] 5, [B]Will[/B] 1, [B]CMB[/B] +3, [B]Base Attack Bonus[/B] 1   
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Actions Crunch and OOC

Bianca Pohlo

apprentice_wizard_by_matbudimir_dcrqsex-pre.jpg

Bianca is still so flustered that at first she doesn't notice Dihana looking at her pointedly.

"I... um... yes, well, it's unlikely..." she mumbles. "I, uh, I suppose I know a way to check for traces... um, give me a moment."

Cautiously, she approaches the orcs. She's never seen a dead body up close before, orc or otherwise, and she's reluctant to do so now. She tries to keep a bit of distance as she begins a brief recitation which should cause any magical auras to become visible.

Show this

Cast Detect Magic, of course.

While some things change more or less on the daily in the Sandpoint Hinterlands, last time Darhana had checked, there was not any prominent orc tribes within the region. That said, nothing is impossible in these parts, particularly with all the crevices, nooks and crannies around Devil’s Platter and its surrounding range of hills.

That said, the orcs they currently see seem young. Perhaps recently having come into adulthood, and each of their bodies sport very little in terms of prior wounds and scars.

After a short debate about what they were going to do with the the looted equipment, Neskas stashed some of it underneath a nearby bush, as Bianca casts her detect magic cantrip and focuses…

At first, the arcane ley energies were but a haze, but then as Bianca continues to concentrate…

She feels something grab at her ankle all of a sudden!

(( OoC no need to make any rolls. Jump scare moment, orcs have ferocity. One of them just crawled over with his last breath and grabbed her before croaking is all. ))

Bianca Pohlo

Bianca screams as, suddenly, something grabs hold of her. Well, it's more like a yelp, but louder and more terrified. Her divination is immediately forgotten as she tries to leap back and loses her balance.

"Aaaargh! It's got me!" she shrieks, flailing her arms madly.

Neskas Weengoditin

spacer.pngNeskas spins Snappy around and charges toward Bianca, lance dipping to catch the Orc on the ground.

Statblock

Snappy
[B]Condition[/B] None 

Actions Crunch and OOC

Name
Charge
1d20+6 8
Damage
1d6+2 3
Right, charge does double
1d6+2 6

Bianca Pohlo

Bianca stumbles into Azura, and grabs hold of the strange woman as if for dear life.

"I-- uh... he grabbed me..." she mumbles weakly, before realising that the orc really is dead and there's nothing to worry about.

Feeling suddenly very awkward, she lets go of Azura and tries to straighten herself up.

"Um... *ahem*... I, uh, thank you," she says, nodding at both Azura and the gnomish gentleman. "I, uh, don't think there's any magic here..." 

Statblock

Darhana

When Bianca screamed, Darhana immediately looked around to see what the issue was.  By the time she focused on the orcs it was already done.  She did have a closer look at the others.  After dividing up the items they wanted to take with them (Darhana can take a few javelins or something) she took point again and moved on, even more carefully looking around.

Name
perception
1d20+10 11

Bianca Pohlo

Still embarrassed, Bianca looks back at Azura awkwardly. The other woman has been awfully nice to her, but she's still really just a stranger... if anything, her friendliness only serves to make the socially-awkward Bianca more uncomfortable.

"I, uh... thanks?" she replies, then tries to muster a weak smile.

Deciding to try and move on, she pushes her glasses back up her nose and clears her throat.

"*ahem*... um, do you think there could be more of them?" she asks. "We should probably alert the townsfolk! Um... is this a coincidence? It couldn't have been orcs who attacked the workers, could it? But why would they cut up the horses...? That makes no sense!" 

A trio of adolescent orcs dealt with, and with a minor jump scare behind you, the group picks up their belongings again and takes to the Lost Coast Road once more, making their way around the fallen tree trunk.

It doesn’t take them too long to reach the end of the patch of forest here, coming into a little more exposure to the afternoon sun, still thankfully giving some warmth despite the clouds threatening to close in from the west.

From here, the road winds around beside the base of a range of some jagged hills, eventually turning southwest.