Closed Game  ·  2 members

Serpent's Skull

OOC

I am making an unchained rogue. That has finesse training as a class feature - which just grants weapon finesse. How does that interact with the feat tax?

Edit: I went ahead and looked at the updated pdf version of the feat tax rules and they have a ruling for that, but I don't know which version of the feat tax you are planning on using.

Edited by Inash (see edit history)

The pdf version is very different than the web one. I believe the web one is being used intentionally.

That being said the Finesse Training does have the ability to add Dexterity to damage with a selected finesse weapon and two more selected weapons at higher levels. Its like a full Weapon Finesse feat and a mini Deadly Agility feat as well.

Normally when something replaces a feat or is a copy of one you're getting in another fashion you would get to pick a different feat instead, typically one that is suited as a replacement or simply that the DM approves of. *shrug*

Perhaps simply making it the full fledged version of the Deadly Agility feat as a bonus feat would be appropriate?

Okay I've been eyeing scholar since it seems like a fantastic fit for an idea I'm thinking on but it might run afoul of some wants for the game. It doesn't matter right now but scholar gets access to several knacks that give them magical talents.

Hypothetically speaking would those knacks be available, or would you just rather avoid things like that entirely?

On 11/10/2022 at 8:48 PM, Miasma said:

@Toptomcat - Combat Talents gained via class options or by consuming feats are fine. It's more the actual champion classes and archetypes that turn other classes into champions that aren't being allowed. I think most, if not all, champion options have a bright green title.

I would think this applies to exactly what you're asking about EDTA. *shrug*

Edit: For example, I took an oath that granted Advanced Magic Training and casting tradition, i.e. 2 starting magical talents. My character is still 99% a martial build as an Unchained Monk (Beastsoul and Streetfighter spheres of power Archetypes). 😄

A lot of champions, for the most part, allow for almost free selection between spheres types, cross class ability picks / selections and other stuff that makes them much more of a hybrid enhanced build, generally speaking. A lot of them are just over the top crazy and can be very cheese flavored, so to speak.

Edited by Ryfte (see edit history)

On 11/13/2022 at 8:59 PM, Starhawk said:

When is the date that PCs will be chosen? 🧐

11/20 is when I had the advertisement marked. 11/21 will probably be the day unless the date comes around and a lot of people are still working on their character. 

22 hours ago, Inash said:

I am making an unchained rogue. That has finesse training as a class feature - which just grants weapon finesse. How does that interact with the feat tax?

Edit: I went ahead and looked at the updated pdf version of the feat tax rules and they have a ruling for that, but I don't know which version of the feat tax you are planning on using.

Usually in those cases I allow taking a feat in the same category. In this case a combat feat.

@EDTA - Knacks are fine. I just didn't want champion classes/archetypes that freely give access to both power and might with no restraint, other than the amount talents one has. I've allowed them in my live games before and those particular players seemed to outshine the others. That could have been the players themselves (more experienced, more of a minmaxer, etc) but I thought it better to just leave them out.

Tomorrow, the 20th, is the last day to get an application in. Sheet doesn't have to be fully complete but the concept should be. As a side note I have a friend from my live game joining. She is locked out until they sync the sites again so will probably be joining after game start. This does not affect applicants. She said she will pick race/class after I have chosen the other players so that she doesn't step on any toes.

Alrighty then...so how about that party comp?

From what I'm seeing we have:
-Wraith (summons with death sphere, roguey stuff with class features)

-L. Ninja (summons with conj sphere, roguey stuff with class features)
-Incanter (healing and blasting, also protection sphere)
-Hedgewitch (healing and blasting, also alchemy sphere)
-Scholar (healing and blasting, also light sphere)

perfectly balanced, as all things should be

I could certainly shuffle things around. While it looks like I've got a lot invested in Conjuration, it's a single summon and my caster level won't rise very high, certainly not right away (Beastmastery animal companion would have scaled better, but I liked the idea of the shadow companion). It's mainly for added mobility and a flanking partner if I need one . I also have some alchemy for a bit of added versatility, though I can swap it out or move it to poisons if we're too alchemically focused as a party. I avoided healing since 1) it didn't fit super well, and 2) it looked like a lot of people had healing options. I wanted to be fairly flexible since I couldn't know who else would get selected. I can still flex into some healing through Ninja Tricks, but it looks like now I won't have to.

Having a lot of healing options in the group isn't a bad thing, though we can probably afford to diversify.

I can probably get my zombie minion to have a decent Str score so that we have at least one person in the group who's not totally noodle armed. Between Tomb of Flesh and Wraith Form, I can smuggle most of the party into just about anywhere, and keep my zombie concealed around anti-undead types.