General OOC

rogueblade0729

Oh, also, one last thing! There's a ruling that I'm trying to make and I need the rest of the party's input.

So, according to the Shadow rules, "violent threats" are a Misdeed worth 1 Shadow point. Our rough-and-tumble dwarf has, notably made quite a few of these over the course of our adventure. However, I'm wondering how you would all feel about dwarves getting a bit of a pass. Like, obviously if he's gripping his hammer and threatening to kill a defenseless target with it, that's one thing. But just shouting out battle cries towards perceived enemies? That's a little more vague.

What do you all think? Should this ruling be uniform across all heroes, or are we giving our hammer-happy dwarf more leniency in this specific case, 'cause dwarves? Whatever the ruling is, I will not be retroactively granting Shadow points.

Edited by rogueblade0729 (see edit history)

10 hours ago, rogueblade0729 said:

Oh, also, one last thing! There's a ruling that I'm trying to make and I need the rest of the party's input.

So, according to the Shadow rules, "violent threats" are a Misdeed worth 1 Shadow point. Our rough-and-tumble dwarf has, notably made quite a few of these over the course of our adventure. However, I'm wondering how you would all feel about dwarves getting a bit of a pass. Like, obviously if he's gripping his hammer and threatening to kill a defenseless target with it, that's one thing. But just shouting out battle cries towards perceived enemies? That's a little more vague.

What do you all think? Should this ruling be uniform across all heroes, or are we giving our hammer-happy dwarf more leniency in this specific case, 'cause dwarves? Whatever the ruling is, I will not be retroactively granting Shadow points.

For anyone, I think it should only apply to violent threats towards innocent people. If he's threatening an orc, no. Battle cries once the fight is underway, no. If he threatens the barkeeper for a free drink, yes.

25 minutes ago, grimlock said:

I would agree with Bob, if the threat makes sense in the moment and the intent is not 'evil' no shadow should be given. But straight up provoking innocents or acting cruel would certainly be a cause for shadow.

Sure. In this specific case, Orn was threatening violence upon Galian, who was genuinely trying to help. This was also spurred on by the prejudice dwarves and elves tend to have for each other, which itself is enacted by the Shadow. On page 182-183 of the Player's Guide, it states:

It is important to note that merely attempting to do something despicable is a Misdeed, regardless of whether the action achieves its intended objective or not. If the action is classed as a Misdeed due to circumstances that the players are unaware of, for example if they ambush someone they completely believe to be guilty of a heinous crime (unprovoked aggression), but who later turns out to be innocent, they should not immediately gain the Shadow points. Instead, their behaviour when the mistake comes to light determines if they take the points or not.

To me, it would make sense that Orn would only gain a Shadow point if he continues to hold his mistrust of Galian for being an Elf, after the adventure is over. But if Orn was threatening a foe who has not been subdued / captured / detained, then I think it's fine.

1 minute ago, rogueblade0729 said:

@BobtheWizard To clarify, which brigand are you shooting? There is only one visible enemy with a bow, and that's the Robber way in the back. He is out of your weapon's range, and is also 10ft higher than you, so you'll be shooting at disadvantage.

If he's the only one with a bow then that's fine. I had rolled with advantage since I was hidden, so just use the first roll, which was the 26. Even the lowest roll would be 19 to hit.

3 minutes ago, BobtheWizard said:

If he's the only one with a bow then that's fine. I had rolled with advantage since I was hidden, so just use the first roll, which was the 26. Even the lowest roll would be 19 to hit.

Ahhh, right. I forgot about your Stealth roll! From your new position, you would now be within your bow's normal range of 80ft, so you would now have advantage. Of course, attacking the Robber reveals your position, but you at least hit him.

Man, it would be hard to play a dwarf (at least the way I think of them) if I got shadow anytime he made a threat to someone he perceived as an enemy! I too agree the 'pass' should apply to everyone and shadow points should be situational. If Orn had seen Gror for who he was (but he was in his cups a little) and threatened him, probably no shadow. But not if he had threatened Tomas for misleading them without trying to get them killed.