General OOC

rogueblade0729

21 minutes ago, Papa Bear said:

OH! Sorry, had a lot of things on my mind... like how freaking much shadow Orn was going to be burdened with... and how I'd have to turn him against the group because he turned evil.

Nah, not quite. Orn may have a Boromir moment where his Shadow-weakness causes him to act out of desperation, frustration, anger, or any other reason, but it will pass. Boromir did not turn evil, he was begging Frodo to give him the Ring because he believed it was the only way to save his people. It was a character flaw made extreme for a few moments of anxiety.

This is also why it's important for you to consider the next generation of heroes, your Heir. Opposing the Shadow takes its toll, and that is a great way to continue the story of your characters as they can no longer bring themselves to suffer the hardships of adventuring. Like how real soldiers can only bear the burden of service for so long, the time eventually comes for them to step back and let someone else take over. They emphasized this mechanic more in LOTR 5e than they did in AiME, but not only is it a great way to spend your treasure, it offers unique storytelling opportunities you don't usually get in D&D or other TTRPGs.

You have a great grasp of the system. That Boromir reference was fantastic and so obvious but I didn't think of it at all. I didn't really think Orn would turn evil, but I was concerned about what too much Shadow (and what is considered too much shadow) would cause.

4 minutes ago, Papa Bear said:

You have a great grasp of the system. That Boromir reference was fantastic and so obvious but I didn't think of it at all. I didn't really think Orn would turn evil, but I was concerned about what too much Shadow (and what is considered too much shadow) would cause.

No problem! I'll just summarize the Shadow rules here, though feel free to reach the section in the Player's Guide.

When your Shadow score is greater than your Wisdom score, you will become Miserable, which is a condition where you have Disadvantage on attack rolls, and you automatically fail all Charisma ability checks (not saving throws).

Unless you reduce your Shadow score, rolling lower than the difference between your Shadow and your Wisdom on any d20 will cause you to undergo a Bout of Madness. For example, if you have 15 Shadow points, but you roll a 3 on a d20 before modifiers, you trigger the madness. Since Orn's Shadow-weakness is Lure of Power, much like Boromir's was, Orn will most likely try to attain some greater strength for himself, depending on the narrative. He may try to dominate the wills of his allies, or forcefully take a magic item from them, or attempt to prove himself in an all-or-nothing duel against a greater foe. These are all just examples, but you get the idea.

After the Bout of Madness passes (it doesn't last long), you regain full control of your character, you immediately reduce your Shadow score to 0, but you gain 1 permanent Shadow point which can never be healed. For example, when Frodo claimed the Ring in Mt. Doom, that scarred him so deeply that he eventually longed to leave Middle-earth (he probably had 2 or 3 permanent Shadow points). In addition, you gain a level of Degradation, or a negative character trait. You can draw on this trait to gain 1d4s on your rolls or Inspiration, similar to your other traits, but doing so automatically costs you 1 Shadow point per use, akin to a Misdeed.

In Orn's case, his Lure of Power Shadow-weakness means he becomes Resentful: "A Resentful adventurer is often bitter and angry with the people they ought to protect, as they feel that they risk their life for individuals that fail to recognise their actions on their behalf."

On 11/16/2023 at 10:13 AM, rogueblade0729 said:

To me, it would make sense that Orn would only gain a Shadow point if he continues to hold his mistrust of Galian for being an Elf, after the adventure is over. But if Orn was threatening a foe who has not been subdued / captured / detained, then I think it's fine.

This makes sense to me. It's how we handled a similar situation with Fletcher/Amdiran early in the game. He tried to scare someone, but intended no threat beyond frightening the eavesdropper. You warned me as DM that it would be a Shadow point if I took the interaction further, but I hadn't planned to be any more intimidating than that.

10 minutes ago, codexgigas said:

This makes sense to me. It's how we handled a similar situation with Fletcher/Amdiran early in the game. He tried to scare someone, but intended no threat beyond frightening the eavesdropper. You warned me as DM that it would be a Shadow point if I took the interaction further, but I hadn't planned to be any more intimidating than that.

Right. Intimidation as a skill is not inherently evil. In Middle-earth, it can also cover just being impressive, glorious, making your presence known. It's the skill for being bold and leaving a lasting, powerful impression on someone.

I had a great holiday. So much turkey! I had 3 and a half Thanksgiving Dinners; 1 awesome potluck at work the friday before Thanksgiving week, 1 the day before Thanksgiving at my sister's (amazing smoked turkey), one on Thanksgiving proper (at my buddy's who is a high end professional chef - 'nuff said), then the half (leftovers at my mom's house). 

28 minutes ago, Papa Bear said:

I had a great holiday. So much turkey! I had 3 and a half Thanksgiving Dinners; 1 awesome potluck at work the friday before Thanksgiving week, 1 the day before Thanksgiving at my sister's (amazing smoked turkey), one on Thanksgiving proper (at my buddy's who is a high end professional chef - 'nuff said), then the half (leftovers at my mom's house). 

Eating like a true dwarf, lol! Glad to hear you had a good holiday my friend.