The First Step

Ruess

Robin Kirkko

egXhMPu.jpg

Robin heaves buckets of away around until his muscles ache, and his mood turns somewhat petulant once he's well past any hope of looking dashing doing it. A good deed's a good deed, but he's a cleric of Sune! Still, by the time the tavern in saved, he's gotten some fresh air, and freshened himself up at the well his feelings improve and he sighs in satisfaction about their triumph. He takes a seat with his fellow heroes, gives his toothy smile when they are introduced, and makes his own introduction. Glad to do my part. I am Robin Kirkko, Cleric of Sune. I can heal someone if they need it...He trails off, not really sure how to get to business after what's just happened.

Description

Robin is a straw haired tomcat. He is tall, strapping, and handsome, with blonde hair carefully tousled for a rakish look, blue eyes, and a strong jaw. He always dresses in clothes that show off his physique. He is, as one would expect of a cleric of Sune, incredibly vain and considers his hair his best feature. His focus on superficial matters might give the impression that he isn't all that bright. One the other hand, be sincerely sees the beauty in other people--whether outer beauty or inner beauty. He carries a shield depicting the face of a beautiful red haired maiden, and has a rosary of glass beads with the same symbol on the end dangling from his belt.

Stat Block

Robin Kirkko
M CG Human Cleric, Level 1, Init 0, HP 9/9, Speed 30
AC 14, Touch 10, Flat-footed 14, Fort 3, Ref 0, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 0   
  Morning Star  +2 (1d8+2, x2)
  Dagger   (1d4, 19–20/×2)
  Crossbow, light (Bolts (20)) 0 (1d8, 19–20/×2)
  Studded Leather Armor, Light Wooden Shield (+3 Armor, +1 Shield)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 14
Condition None

OOC

Lucas Léonide BlaiseAge 26 | Height 6''0 | Weight 126 lbs. | Hair Blonde | Eyes Gold | Complexion Fair skinned

This male appears to be between five foot nine and six feet, he is clad in scaled-mail baring the symbol of St Cuthbert; god of retribution. His hair is blonde reaching down as far as the edge of his ears with no curls or knots, though the subtle glint of oil portrays a lack of hygiene. Rounded features specifically around his nose, chin, and eyes give the impression that his origins are initially human, despite his unusual birth as an Aasimar.

His equipment consists of the aforementioned scaled-mail which is strapped over a green doublet with a second layer of brown leathers. His shoulders carry the straps of a backpack that appears to be full of various odds and ends; the outer layer consisting of iron buckles, a bedroll, and waterskin all strapped neatly against the burlap folds. His belt has two pouches that lay strapped shut, just beyond them is the hilt of a battleaxe on his right side.
| "My Speech" | 'My thoughts' | My actions.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/97/f7/e6/97f7e6e1fce46d0212e768a2f41c9a06.jpgMale Lawful Good Lesser Aasimar 1, Level 1, Init 3, HP 12/12, Speed 30ft
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus +1  
Abilities Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 14
Conditions None

Maneuver Grid

Known Maneuvers Numerical Value
CRUSADER’S STRIKE 1
VANGUARD STRIKE 2
STONE BONES 3
LEADING THE ATTACK 4
CHARGING MINOTAUR 5

Lucas slicks his hair back, recomposing himself after another brief coughing fit. He had forgotten himself and his manners, something that he should not be so careless as to forget. Turning to face the group, he places his hands on his hips and takes in another deep breath; introductions were in order. "It is a pleasure, though perhaps not under these circumstances..I am Lucas Blaise, last son of the house of Blaise, from Waterdeep far to the north." He pauses briefly, taking a moment to look at the smoke billowing out of the tavern. Something about it bothered him, something was missing. 'Oh gods' he thought. "Did you perchance say earlier that there were two more souls in the tavern?" He hoped he was incorrect, if not; there would be little time to find them.

DESCRIPTION Elia is a small kobold, well, a dragon really, barely over 2' tall with a tail that is actually a bit longer than she is tall. Her scales are purple, violet, and pink shades, quite vibrant, and her eyes are a luminous aqua blue-green (heavy on the blue). Her fins are more flexible than that of standard kobolds with stronger, more controlled support spines that allow her to flex and relax them, giving her much better control maneuvering in water than her land-bound brethren.

Her "leather" armor, a bluish-gray toned material is rough to the touch, covered in small cartilage ridges from the sea eel its crafted from.
| SHEET
spacer.pngElia Argus
Female, Neutral Good, Dragonwrought Water Kobold, Warlock 1

AC/TAC/FFAC: 19/15/15 | HP: 6/6 | S/D/C/I/W/C: -2/+4/+0/+1/+0/+3 | F/R/W: +0/+4/+2 | Move: 30', Swim 30', Climb 20'
Darkvision 60', DR 2 / Cold Iron, Eldritch Blast 60' RTA 1d6 (20/x2)

As brief an inferno as it had been, the fire coupled with the heat in general was simply draining. She felt as if her limbs were weighted down by sinkers and she was trying to get to the surface despite not having helped with buckets. Her eyes weren't as bothered by the ash and smoke as the others, her second lids helping protect them, but the building itself cast a long shadow across the front stairs and it was at least a few degrees cooler there where they gathered.

She was quiet and remained relatively inconspicuous, off to the side for the most part, listening at first. When Roy, as he was named, started a shower of rain above himself she moved like a blur to get under the edge of it.

Peeking up at the armored figure, even though he was seated, she smiled. "Ahh, water... thank you sir Roy!" She stretched up into the light shower of rain and spread her fins as wide as they could go, exposing her skin to the water. "I am called Elia. I had sought this place but hadn't expected to find it in such a state. I'm uncertain what drew me here, simply that I needed to come. Some of us have been traveling together, informally, to get here..." She nodded to the others.

OoC

Name
Sense Motive
1d20 13

Robin Kirkko

egXhMPu.jpg

Robin's eyebrows go up at Elia's comment. "Well, I can say something drew me here too, though I am not sure what. I was given visions of something happening in Undermountain during services in the Temple of Sune, and the High Priestess has given me leave to come here to see what they mean. Even as a cleric... I can hear how strange that must sound." He glances at the others, feeling some little insecurity at openly speaking about things like mystic visions with strangers. "This is the place to come, isn't it? The Yawning Abyss? The entrance to Undermountain?"

Description

Robin is a straw haired tomcat. He is tall, strapping, and handsome, with blonde hair carefully tousled for a rakish look, blue eyes, and a strong jaw. He always dresses in clothes that show off his physique. He is, as one would expect of a cleric of Sune, incredibly vain and considers his hair his best feature. His focus on superficial matters might give the impression that he isn't all that bright. One the other hand, be sincerely sees the beauty in other people--whether outer beauty or inner beauty. He carries a shield depicting the face of a beautiful red haired maiden, and has a rosary of glass beads with the same symbol on the end dangling from his belt.

Stat Block

Robin Kirkko
  Dagger   (1d4, 19–20/×2)
Condition None

OOC

While the group is invested and involved meeting three strangers, Doallyn's curiosity gets the better of him and he decides to have a little peek- really, just a tiny peek. One small peek, nothing bad can come of that surely?

Doallyn goes on an adventure!

For instance, right here, beside the support beam and right below it. Here he finds the most distyinctive trails of conjurations and begins to peel it all apart to read its story. It is something of a slow process that must look quite silly since he is staring into nothing while making faces but if you were to see the magic at play, Doallyn could show you how the many overlapping magics are like so much dough that you can peel back with just the correct gesture.

Here. in a large pool that is seeping in the floor tiles and their cracks, the young mage finds the quiet blue of water conjured into existence.  In the ephemeral ripples of its nature he observes twinges of chaos where it meets its opposite element of fire... And there, right there is where he finds the telltale signature of an elemental that was brought into being. And oh was it hungry, Doallyn can read the heat's lingering presence. This, he is certain of.

Were he a poet, Doallyn could fathom the two schools of elements are at outright war in how they overlap with each other under the darkness that the smoke casts upon them. The smoke and the steam are more akin to a pair of daredevils, looming and lurking but they lack that something, that final spark of arcane power to set them in motion. (Thank goodness for that because otherwise Doallyn would be in a spot of trouble right about now! If that smoke cloud in the before had taken on a life of its own and come at them things would haver gotten ugly in a hurry.)

(Unnoted, unrecognized and unheeded, a small fire takes root under Doallyn's throat. The cough he passes off as nothing of import even though he coughs into a sleeve, curiosity driving him to learn out here in the fields.)

For a moment, a few even, Doallyn loses himself in wondering if-if-if, but makes nothing further of it. He would need more time, so much more time... But before his eyes turn into stniging horners and pain (OW OW OW! WHAT IS GOING ON! AAA!) his sight of magic reveals him something fascinating:
The Gateway Into The Realm Below is whence the fire came. It arrived with a great, fiery fist, and it did so with all the manners of a battering ram. Doallyn can see the remains of a Protective Circle around the stone wall acting as a barrier lest someone stumble into a deadly drop. The fist smashed through and... Became? Evolved?

With that realization also comes another:
He is choking! Blind, stumbling and coughing! 
Whoops?
The panic lasts for a lifetime longer before someone (who?) grabs Doallyn by the lapels and none too gently begins shoving him to where Doallyn's ears pinpoint the bustle of a waking city, as well as his new associates.

"Ahh, water... thank you sir Roy!"
Elia zipping over to join Roy in the rain draws a short-lived chuckle from the man. He happens to extend an arm over Elia's head but halts midway, and instead draws it back with a subdued:  "Ah-, ow- acgh, apologies. Just call me Roy." instead

Reactionary Sense Motive DC 12 - Do not read elsewise

It would appear Roy reached to try to offer your a head pat but realized that would be wholly inappropriate and thought better of it.

"Two others, in the back there were?"

image.jpeg.c743c745ba7e2fd7eda505e147f8e961.jpeg

Rolf

Rolf first looks to Roy for an answer but sees the kobold happily sharing the raincloud and opts to let the other man have his cool shower. He turns back to look fully at Chira. He blinks slowly before answering, his speech a bit slow in coming.

"Two others, yes- They were doing something in the cold room. A friend of Roy's and some lizardfolk. Try not to scream too loud when you see them."

"I am Lucas Blaise, last son of the house of Blaise,"
"They'll be fine."  Roy speaks now, grabbing a barrel for support as he begins to force himself back onto his feet. He doesn't try to hiide how slow he is about, and you see him leaning a lot of his weight on the barrel as well. "The cold room is the safest place in a fire." There is a moment as Roy looks Lucas over, paying special attention to the heraldry on the aasimar's person. "Well met, Ser. You are far from home. How fares your House?" 

Rolf, too, offers his respect a knight is due a small and quiet "Ser."

I am Robin Kirkko, Cleric of Sune"
"I'll live." Rolf answers but casts a glance at Roy who is slowly getting up, still under a large raincloud that now follows the approaching man.

"Spare a spark of life to mend a burned hand?" Roy asks of Robin and presents a burned gauntlet covered in scorch marks. "Mind the metal, it's a bit hot. Oh and, well met Robin Kirkko. Good to meet you."

Awareness Roll. Anyone can try. DC 16 Awareness check

Are you imagining or is the metal actually hissing under the present rain? If that's the case you dread to think how painful removing his armor will be later on.

There is a loud noise, a thump really, by the door- It is the sound of a boot kicking a door in a solid manner. Since the door is open it is redundant if this someone was trying to open it, so it probably serves another function.

Should you turn your view to that location, possibly interrupting what you were doing, you will have a chance to observe the following.
Kaldakaczil is perfectly located to lend a limb to the person getting a particular wizard back out so that Doallyn can start coughing his throat and lungs to less smoky state. The stranger arrives none too gently and is very quick to force Doallyn to move far from the door.

The Fourth

When you take a look at this newcomer... You would be acting charitable if you called this person looking like death warmed over.dream_TradingCard(9).jpg.dc3cd410f70fb68a3c2626ddab289ec9.jpg

Were you less than charitable you might wonder if you are looking at someone who is literally alive by willpower alone. His eyes are bright and focused enough to be the sole thing going for him. Well, that and a rigid posture like right out of some painting you might have seen someplace depicting the umpteenth great ancestor so and so who killed nineteen dragons and no doubt built four castles by looking at some rocks.

This man wears no armor but he does wear enough green colored finery that you would hesitate to mug him on a dark alley. By the ridig tension in him you are willing to wager his muscles replaced their young strength with old mean-ness. 

You also don't mean to be mean here but as far as first impressions go, this stranger is making you feel like you are looking at a a dead man who refuses to keel over out of spite.

"Like so," Roy tries to offer. He doesnb't quite manage to be as nonchalant as the situation might merit. Yet he still tries to clear his throat and indicates with both hands at the newest person. "Ladies and gents, as well as every other sorts: allow me to Introduce His Lordship most plentifully potent and potently plentiful, Lord Harm Mortton of The Black Eyerie."

Knowledge Nobility 10+. Must possess ranks to roll for this

That is *not* how you introduce a lord, Roy!

The apparent lord gives each of you a once-over with a calculating eye, and that is apparently that.
The introductions done, Roy clears his throat of phlegm.
"Now! I believe in neither fate for destiny but I do know that you six arrived with a perfect timing. Thus, I invite you six to sit with mine self upon these stairs, or in whichever manner you prefer, while my friend Varon observes that we are not eavesdropped on. I fear we have business to discuss since our interest coincide ever so slightly with Undermountain and a certain man who I was supposed to meet thius very morning, ho owns this very tavern in fact."

Robin Kirkko

egXhMPu.jpg

He takes a look at the gauntlet covered hand, careful not to bump it so as to cause further pain. "Nice to meet you too, Roy. Oof, glad you said something." He gives Roy a look of genuine compassion and holds his holy symbol over the hand as he recites a Sunite psalm, channeling positive energy to stimulate Roy's healing processes. All healing is a miracle of the gods, he believes. Divine healing spells simply speed it up. "Hope that helps." He smiles, and is interrupted by the arrival of Lord Mortton. He hastily stands to respectfully greet his Lordship. He's no expert on noble etiquette, but he does know that keeping his mouth shut around nobles is usually a good idea. So he simply gives his lordship a polite nod and takes a seat like's he's told

Description

Stat Block

Robin Kirkko
  Dagger   (1d4, 19–20/×2)
Condition None

OOC

Edited by Chaz Hoosier (see edit history)
Name
Awareness
1d20+3 1
Cure Light Wounds
1d8+1 3

spacer.png

Character Sheet

Kaldakaczil
Male Lawful Good Gold Dragon 1, Level 1, Init 1, HP 14/14, Speed 30ft, Swim 30ft
AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 1, Base Attack Bonus 1   
  Bite  +4 (1d8+4, x2)
  Unarmored (+1 Dex)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 14
Conditions None

Kaldakaczil was doing his best to not skulk about like some lowly chromatic dragon as he looked for the tavern's owner, only to be surprised as the door flung open, and he was handed a partially smoked conjurer. Getting a hold of the military-minded mage by holding his shirt collar in his maw, he'd half drag, half lift him over to a free chair so his lungs and throat can clear themselves of the lingering smoke.

"Careful, there. What got you so distracted you weren't realizing how much smoke you were breathing in?"

Edited by Amoren (see edit history)

DESCRIPTION Elia is a small kobold, well, a dragon really, barely over 2' tall with a tail that is actually a bit longer than she is tall. Her scales are purple, violet, and pink shades, quite vibrant, and her eyes are a luminous aqua blue-green (heavy on the blue). Her fins are more flexible than that of standard kobolds with stronger, more controlled support spines that allow her to flex and relax them, giving her much better control maneuvering in water than her land-bound brethren.

Her "leather" armor, a bluish-gray toned material is rough to the touch, covered in small cartilage ridges from the sea eel its crafted from.
| SHEET
spacer.pngElia Argus
Female, Neutral Good, Dragonwrought Water Kobold, Warlock 1

AC/TAC/FFAC: 19/15/15 | HP: 6/6 | S/D/C/I/W/C: -2/+4/+0/+1/+0/+3 | F/R/W: +0/+4/+2 | Move: 30', Swim 30', Climb 20'
Darkvision 60', DR 2 / Cold Iron, Eldritch Blast 60' RTA 1d6 (20/x2)

She watched the knight, finding his bemusement slightly entertaining. It wasn't something new to her. Not since she'd left home at least. She'd had quiet a few interactions with people that were simply unsure of what status she held or if she was simply someone's pet. Elia took no offense at the confusion, in fact she found the whole situation something that she tended to chuckle about later; the confused look on peoples faces as they tried to figure out how to interact with her.

"Certainly si... I mean, yes Roy." She smiled and stepped to the side, out of his way as he stood and moved. The brief shower while she had been next to the man was a wonderful relief from the heat and the little kobold simply sat, watched, and listened as the others spoke.

OoC

spacer.png

Doallyn McClare

Character Sheet

Male Neutral Good  Human Wizard,

Init +1 

HP: 5/5 

Speed: 30

AC: 11

Touch: 11 / Flat-footed: 10,

Fort +1 / Ref +1 / Will +3

Base Attack Bonus: +0

Abilities: Str 10, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 12, Cha 14

The question that Kaldakaczil asked Doallyn was simple enough.  However the smoke in his lungs made the concept of forming those words a but more difficult.  He could probably have written a dissertation on the magic he had looked at inside the smoke filled tavern. The burning discomfort in his lungs fought back against such lofty ideas.  Instead he tried to focus on the most important words and get them across. 

Seal... Broken.   *cough cough*    Fiery..Fist....  *cough*   Summoned  ...Fire not... Natural... *cough cough*   Elemental... *cough cough* 

He rubbed at his throat in discomfort.  This needing to breath thing was most troublesome. Elementals didn't need to breathe.  If he was going to need to work on that for future investigations. After all if he ever tried to travel to one of the Elemental Planes, he'd probably need to have such type of fail-safes in place ahead of time. 

Edited by ArcaneDesperado (see edit history)

spacer.png

Character Sheet

Kaldakaczil
Male Lawful Good Gold Dragon 1, Level 1, Init 1, HP 14/14, Speed 30ft, Swim 30ft
AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 1, Base Attack Bonus 1   
  Bite  +4 (1d8+4, x2)
  Unarmored (+1 Dex)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 14
Conditions None

"Was it an attack?" the gold rumbled, processing what Doallyn was saying, the stubs that would eventually grow into whiskers upon his scaled face twitching with thought. That reminded him that he hadn't found Durran when he went searching and was interrupted by the two, causing the dragon's gaze to glance back towards the old man who was speaking, listening to his words thoughtfully.

"Where is he, anyway? Is he alright?" Kaldakaczil would respond to Mortton, his long tail giving a worried flick behind him as he did so.

Lucas Léonide BlaiseAge 26 | Height 6''0 | Weight 126 lbs. | Hair Blonde | Eyes Gold | Complexion Fair skinned

This male appears to be between five foot nine and six feet, he is clad in scaled-mail baring the symbol of St Cuthbert; god of retribution. His hair is blonde reaching down as far as the edge of his ears with no curls or knots, though the subtle glint of oil portrays a lack of hygiene. Rounded features specifically around his nose, chin, and eyes give the impression that his origins are initially human, despite his unusual birth as an Aasimar.

His equipment consists of the aforementioned scaled-mail which is strapped over a green doublet with a second layer of brown leathers. His shoulders carry the straps of a backpack that appears to be full of various odds and ends; the outer layer consisting of iron buckles, a bedroll, and waterskin all strapped neatly against the burlap folds. His belt has two pouches that lay strapped shut, just beyond them is the hilt of a battleaxe on his right side.
| "My Speech" | 'My thoughts' | My actions.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/97/f7/e6/97f7e6e1fce46d0212e768a2f41c9a06.jpgMale Lawful Good Lesser Aasimar 1, Level 1, Init 3, HP 12/12, Speed 30ft
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, Fort 4, Ref 3, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus +1  
Abilities Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 14
Conditions None

Maneuver Grid

Known Maneuvers Numerical Value
CRUSADER’S STRIKE 1
VANGUARD STRIKE 2
STONE BONES 3
LEADING THE ATTACK 4
CHARGING MINOTAUR 5

"I appreciate your due respects, but they are unnecessary. The house has fallen into a swift decline, it has been nearly three decades since anyone has had any hand in correcting such errors" He pauses, placing his left hand upon his chin; both his index finger and thumb wrapped firmly along his jawline. "At least, that is what I have been led to believe..now, from what everyone else has had to say it seems I am not the only one who has suffered sleepless nights at the hand of strange visions, quite strange." He considered for a moment what this could mean, both for himself and his family house. Though, his thoughts are interrupted by the arrival of the elderly man - a noble if he were to believe the crude introductions of the tavern patrons.

Lucas offers a polite half-bow, releasing his chin to assume the correct poise necessary for due respects. He tried not to think about how old the gentleman may be, despite his obviously degrading health.

Edited by IWantBapo (see edit history)

"Hope that helps.

Robin's magic sinks into the gauntlet. It is hot to touch, searingly so in fact, but the magic he channels protects Robin. Roy in turn releases a deep, sigh of relief that actually becomes a lilting exhalation: it is not laughter in the true sense but there is no mistaking an "Ahh-ha-haa~-" when someone exhales it from their helmet in your immediate radius

"My gratitude," the armored man offers, and then turns to look at Lucas fully.

"I appreciate your due respects, but they are unnecessary"

"Ah, well. That..." You do not need to see his face to tell Roy is unhappy at the news news Lucas brings of his House. "I'm sorry. I...once met a few people. I had hoped... Ah. Nevermind."

Roy sits down near Elia and presents the smaller kobold the water amulet. "Keep the rain coming, please,"  bids the man to the much smaller creature. "Grasp it, and will it to be so. The amulet does the rest."

Roy looks abnout ready to start discussing business properly with your group but that is when Doallyn finally clears his throat enough to speak. The fisherman looks disturbed by the news. The other one spreads his hands in reponse; you need no particular skill to see that neither one is happy at the news.

Roy

A week agoA week is nine days long. I met with some friends who read the stars. They spoke of doom coming. I don't trust fate or destiny, or stars for that, but  I 963102255_EcafRomra.png.7f45272667f150b2311cb214b3e84820.pngdo trust those people enough to take them on their words. So we reached out, they talked to people they know, I talked with people I know... And wouldn't you know. Not one ship has arrived when three ought to have done so. Crime is skyrocketing. Every two-copper doomsayer is screaming godly vengeance. The city is on the verge of chaos. The City Council's sphinxes are about to call in mercenary companies to help City Watch. The catacombs are a mess- and that's just quick notes.

Roy pauses for a breath and to expel something from his nostrily. It sounds like he is heaving out a lung.

"Today, I was supposed to meet with some friends and Durnan in particular. We were planning on ventuiring down to scout the catacombs, and then to see if the way into the Undermountain remains barred. If things were bad, we would report it and begin our own efforts to keep the dead in their rest while experts... did something."

Roy pauses again. You hear him groan.

"I woke up in a room I rented, with the door barred on the other side and the lock jammed. The interior was on fire, Durnan was nowhere to be found. If not for you six, I don't expect that the tavern would be left."
 Here, Roy pauses yet again, to look at Doallyn.

"If you wizard is correct, someone smashed a heavily reinforced circle that bars the way to most things that try to escape through the pit entrance. So that's is what we are working with. People who should be here to do something are delayed or absent. City itself is at its own throat."

Roy coughs. Soot flies out through the visor.

"I can't ask you to help. The catacombs alone can be a death sentence, let alone trying to go down into the Undermountain where something awaits- what it is I don't know, but I do know planar tears when I see enough of them. And I'm wagering one or more rifts are coming about in that place."