Basic Fantasy RPG

cailano

I'm newish. Never played but I've read some. I had the AD&D 2E Monster Manual and Players Handbook when I was 14-15, but I never played with my friends. At the time, we were deep in Palladium Fantasy and I used the MM as inspiration.

When 3E came out, I bought the books to read/collect. I eventually played in a campaign at my college RPG Club. I would say that was my first time actually playing D&D.

I’m an OSR GM for the most part. I watch Questing Beast and I have the Principia Apocrypha saved on my hard drive. I’ve watched the Barrowmaze trailer about twenty times and I never seem to get tired of it.

So, I’ve got some experience. I’m ready for Kharn to die either gloriously or hilariously.

I'm still pretty new to the OSR scene. It's not the same, but I grew up playing Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Warrior (the ones on NES). They've got big old-school flavor.

As far as table-top, I cut my teeth the week 3.5e came out. Quickly decided I needed to run a campaign. Kinda became a forever GM that way :/

I got into OSR about 6 months ago with Mörk Borg and Dark Fort. I love the random modularity of it! I am finding I prefer a toned-down, more realistic view to fantasy gaming than D&D/PF. I look back at that stuff and can't help but think it feels like medieval fantasy anime... Just seems super over-the-top in a detrimental kind of way. Can't quite place it.

I played AD&D back in the day but not since. I've been reading up on a few OSR games in the recent years but only two of them seemed intriguing enough (one being BF, bought a physical copy), so I was glad when I saw an opportunity to actually try it.

4 hours ago, guitarist said:

Played AD&D as a kid, so it’s old-hat for me.  🙂

Have you ever taken a look at OSRIC? It’s just AD&D but minus the walls of text and laid out in one book in a logical way. Great reference.