Closed Game  ·  7 members  ·  Game Expectations

Reign of Winter

Main OOC Thread

Inash

8 hours ago, LDDragon said:

Does cold resistance negate the environmental dangers of cold?

After reviewing the information Roughtrade so kindly linked, I'm inclined toward no, it does not. I'll go with it grants a fort save bonus equal to the resistance on related environmental damage saves though. So CR2 = +2 to fort saves v environmental cold effects. At some level of cold resistance (I haven't decided what), the environmental damage effects should shift too, so extreme cold has the very cold effects, etc. 

I will try to keep an eye on it, but feel free to let me know if I stray into 2e material, there's a lot of upgrades for changelings, but I'm gonna try to keep in the 1e realm.  i.e. no snow mays 🙂

3 hours ago, Inash said:

After reviewing the information Roughtrade so kindly linked, 

For some reason, the spot in your House Rules didn't copy/clone the original question.

3 hours ago, Inash said:

At some level of cold resistance (I haven't decided what), the environmental damage effects should shift too,

Resistances tend to come in 5s.  Cold Weather is defined as "Cold"An unprotected character in cold weather (below 40° F) must make a Fortitude save each hour (DC 15, +1 per previous check) or take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. A character who has the Survival skill may receive a bonus on this saving throw and might be able to apply this bonus to other characters as well (see the skill description).  - "Severe ColdIn conditions of severe cold or exposure (below 0° F), an unprotected character must make a Fortitude save once every 10 minutes (DC 15, +1 per previous check), taking 1d6 points of nonlethal damage on each failed save. A character who has the Survival skill may receive a bonus on this saving throw and might be able to apply this bonus to other characters as well. Characters wearing a cold weather outfit only need check once per hour for cold and exposure damage. and "Extreme Cold"Extreme cold (below –20° F) deals 1d6 points of lethal damage per minute (no save). In addition, a character must make a Fortitude save (DC 15, +1 per previous check) or take 1d4 points of nonlethal damage. You could go with the idea that each Resistance Upgrade after the first will reduce the environmental effects by one stage.

So 5 Resistance just gives the bonus to saves.  10 Resistance grants immunity to "Cold" and a bigger bonus on saves for the others.  15 Resistance works for "Severe Cold" and 20 Resistance gives immunity to "Extreme Cold" meaning all environmental hazards due to the temperature.  None of these would provide immunity to other effects.  Ice is still slippery.  I think the Ice Storm spell mentions specifically that half the damage comes from bludgeoning or something.  

I could also see some cosmetic benefits for having resistance.  You are more comfortable in chilly weather and with 5 Cold Resistance could probably pull off the 'ski bunny' costume like a fur bikini and boots with little need for a coat.

Addendum

One of the reasons I thought the 'three stage' thing worked was that Environmental Heat also has three stages of Hot, Severe Hot and Extreme Hot.  So it would work for Fire Resistance as well.  Nothing to do about Electricity and Acid.  You're either in the Hydrochloric Puddle or your out.  

3 hours ago, Wiz said:

2e material,

The Second Edition Material is (fairly) well marked on the Archives of Nethys.  The character creation is also very different.  You shouldn't have too much trouble noticing when you're on the wrong stuff.  The PFSRD doesn't have any 2nd edition stuff, but you have to be more careful about falling for 3rd party stuff.  It's pretty easy to stray unless you're watching the source notations at the bottom of the page.

That's more or less in line with my thinking. 5 Cold Resistance and you're thinking about 'spring skiing' in your bikini, which is apparently something Whistler is famous for.

spacer.png

Still need to be careful about the cold, but less affected.

Edited by Inash (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Inash said:

Why would an Undine be in the back-end of nowhere rural Taldan? The town is ~140 people. You've got an uphill fight to explain why the character would be there.

I'm not familiar with the Reign of Winter start.

If that's the case, you might want to note somewhere in the application requirements we have to explain what our character is doing at Taldan, and provide some background to the village.

Before I submit an application, I am interested in playing a Fighter - Gloomblade High Guardian

As a human, I am interested in the alternate race trait DimdwellerSource Blood of Shadows pg. 4
Characters with this trait are at home in gloomy conditions. Whenever these characters benefit from concealment or full concealment due to darkness or dim light, they gain a +2 racial bonus on Intimidate, Perception, and Stealth checks.

Dwarves can take this trait in place of the greed and stonecunning traits. Elves, gnomes, halflings, and half-orcs can take this trait in place of weapon familiarity. Half-elves can take this trait in place of adaptability. Humans can take this trait in place of the skilled trait, also gaining darkvision to a range of 60 feet.
, but the alternate race trait is not listed as official.

11 hours ago, Steel Warrior said:

Before I submit an application, I am interested in playing a Fighter - Gloomblade High Guardian

As a human, I am interested in the alternate race trait DimdwellerSource Blood of Shadows pg. 4
Characters with this trait are at home in gloomy conditions. Whenever these characters benefit from concealment or full concealment due to darkness or dim light, they gain a +2 racial bonus on Intimidate, Perception, and Stealth checks.

Dwarves can take this trait in place of the greed and stonecunning traits. Elves, gnomes, halflings, and half-orcs can take this trait in place of weapon familiarity. Half-elves can take this trait in place of adaptability. Humans can take this trait in place of the skilled trait, also gaining darkvision to a range of 60 feet.
, but the alternate race trait is not listed as official.

Dimdweller should be fine

I am wondering how you read the Fey Summoner ability of the First World Caller Wizard Archetype.

Fey Summoner: A First World caller is able to conjure fey creatures. He gains Augment Summoning as a bonus feat. He adds the following creatures to the summon monster list of the same level, allowing him to summon them with the appropriate summon monster spell: 1st—grimple (gremlin), mite, sprite; 2nd—atomie, fuath (gremlin), nixie; 3rd— leprechaun, nuglub (gremlin), pooka; 4th—kelpie, korred, twigjack; 5th—lampad, lurker in light, swan maiden; 6th—cold rider, oceanid, sangoi; 7th—alp, bogeyman, ijiraq; 8th—banelight, fastachee, rusalka; 9th—ankou, kamaitachi, wild hunt archer.

This ability is a function of the First World caller himself, and it applies even if he uses a scroll, wand, or other magic item to cast a summon monster spell. If he creates such an item and it is used by another character, the spell functions as an ordinary summon monster spell.

This replaces arcane school and Scribe Scroll.

You get this at first level. My question is if you multiclass to a prestige class the allows spellcasting to continue, does this expanded summoning continue? It doesn't say it is tied to wizard level.