Ghosts Come Home to Roost?

Sorithar

RodinToken.png.56386b76bbc0b62d9c4d7bada805098e.pngRodin Sethilaud

Wood Elf, Ranger

As they start to descend, Rodin realizes they need light and he pulls out a torch and lights it. He know he will have to drop it to use the bow, but can't use any weapon if you can't see.

OOC

Elven Lowlight vision, so he can see 40' a if full lit rather than the normal 20 of the torch.

Will take 10 on Spot and Listen checks for a total of 15 each when not in combat.

It gets a +3 bonus if any of those are applied to Drow or large spiders.

Appearance

spacer.png

Jessie quietly sneaks down the stairs into the darkness with Rodin trailing on her flank until the limited light prevents the Halfling from seeing much further ahead causing the diminutive rogue to pause.

Just as Jessie is about to turn and request a light source, suddenly the smell of Sulphur tickles her tiny nose as a brief flash of blue-green light to her right reveals a hint that some sort of chamber lies beyond the stairs below.

Quickly stowing her short bow, the tiny burglar slowly and quietly moves back up the stairs while continuing to face forward looking down into the darkness ready to quicken her pace should circumstances suddenly dictate.

Assuming she is able to make it up out of the gloom, once she reaches Rodin and the others Jessie will turn and whisper, "It's too dark to see much below, so eventually we're going to need Rodin's torch in order to see when we go down."

Continuing, the pickpocket says in the same hushed tone, "But until then, I'm pretty sure I saw one of the Fey.  It appeared as a flash of blue-green light and the smell of Sulphur fills the air below."

"However, that brief illumination did allow me to make out some kind of chamber at the bottom of the steps," she adds with a bit of a smile, but for the most part the lass's face is unusually serious.

"We really need to find a way to make peace with the Fey or somehow make it safely past them," Jessie suggests.  "We've had three fights and lost two of them.  We can't fight the Fey and then hope to take on an entire Kobold tribe thereafter."

"I'm small, so I'm willing to help if I can, but I don't know how to communicate with them, or what to offer or even what to talk about for that matter," the miniature child-like trickster reveals.

"I do advise keeping our weapons either concealed or sheaved so we don't present the appearance of a threat to the Fey, since we truly need to establish some type of non-aggression relationship with them," Jessie concludes.

OOC

Free Action:

Standard Action:

Move:

Jessie Tosscobble III's AppearanceJessie is small standing at 2 foot 8 inches and weighing a mere 27 pounds. As such, the lass intentionally keeps her brown hair long to cover her halfling features, which allows the rogue to pass herself off as a small humanoid or even young human or half-elven child when convenient or necessary.

Dressed dark purple clothing, which is overlaid with attractive black leather accoutrements, Jessie keeps the paraphernalia of her 'profession' secreted upon her person, and especially the authorities, except when in use.

Her friendly blue eyes and warm, sincere smile are disarming and allow the lass to paint a picture of a young girl who is completely unintimidating by all appearances, an assumption often made by others which suits her well and which she actively cultivates.

To promote this look of youth or innocence, most of Jessie's weapons, alchemical doodads, pack, and other equipment are kept hidden under her clothing and also by her large heavy dark green cloak.

Edited by Terran (see edit history)

Wood Elf, Ranger

If you like, I can lead the way. There are several different types of fey and I don't know a whole lot about them other than some are friendly, some are not and most are very mischievous. Being elf, I am distantly related to them so maybe they will be a little less likely to attack us if I lead the way?

It is clear he is not positive about that, but he is willing to try. If the group agrees, then he can lead the way, otherwise he will be right behind Jess as she leads the way, so his torch will give her light to see by.

OOC

Elven Lowlight vision, so he can see 40' a if full lit rather than the normal 20 of the torch.

Will take 10 on Spot and Listen checks for a total of 15 each when not in combat.

Appearance

Maximilian.png.5d0b75118b7e15d8198615dc6a532424.png

Maximilian Cornelius Spurbright   Human Wizard from Cormyr

Maximilian follows closely behind the others, cold iron dagger in his hand at the ready. He was already regretting not knowing the language of the fey, as the ability to parley in their own language could improve their opinion of he and his companions, or even make communication possible if they had no languages in common.

"I can hold the torch if necessary," Maximilian said to Rodin. "I'd only need to drop it to cast a spell, but I'm not eager to deplete my spells so early in the day."

OOC

Appearance

spacer.png

Jessie smiles when Rodin offers to take the lead into the chamber occupied by the Fey whispering, "Thank you Rodin.  I'll back you up if needed, but let's try to avoid a fight if at all possible."

When Maximilian arms himself with a cold iron dagger and offers to carry the torch as long as he doesn't have to cast a spell, Jessie sighs and whispers, "Here, let me carry the torch."

Reaching into her pack, the tiny Halfling withdraws a small metal tin and fairly large clay jar while saying, "As I said before, I advise keeping weapons either sheaved or hidden so we don't provoke a fight."

Turning to face Maximilian, the diminutive rogue whispers, "No offense intended, but I would keep those hands empty for casting as you said," with a polite smile on her face.

Holding out the tin and crock, Jessie adds in the same low tone, "Let's try honey over vinegar.  Here's my last crock of pure sweet clover bee honey and a tin of dry sweet breads."

"Perhaps this will allow us to achieve a modicum of peace between our two groups so we can pass through without conflict," she adds.  "If not, we kill'em and take back my honey!"

OOC

Free Action:

Swift Action:

Standard Action:

Move:

Jessie Tosscobble III's AppearanceJessie is small standing at 2 foot 8 inches and weighing a mere 27 pounds. As such, the lass intentionally keeps her brown hair long to cover her halfling features, which allows the rogue to pass herself off as a small humanoid or even young human or half-elven child when convenient or necessary.

Dressed dark purple clothing, which is overlaid with attractive black leather accoutrements, Jessie keeps the paraphernalia of her 'profession' secreted upon her person, and especially the authorities, except when in use.

Her friendly blue eyes and warm, sincere smile are disarming and allow the lass to paint a picture of a young girl who is completely unintimidating by all appearances, an assumption often made by others which suits her well and which she actively cultivates.

To promote this look of youth or innocence, most of Jessie's weapons, alchemical doodads, pack, and other equipment are kept hidden under her clothing and also by her large heavy dark green cloak.

Maximilian.png.5d0b75118b7e15d8198615dc6a532424.png

Seeing the wisdom in Jessie's suggestion, Maximilian thinks for a moment before giving the halfling a respectful nod and sheathing his cold iron dagger again. He could do more damage with one of his limited number of spells than with that dagger, he knew from experience, and he makes sure he can get to his component bag quickly, should the need arise.

OOC

Appearance

spacer.png

Aeruiel Moonshadow   Half-Moon Elf Barbarian from Ashabenford

Aeruiel took up the rear of the party but still kept her hand ready on her weapon; at least one of them should be ready to spring into action in case the situation calls for it.

OoC

Using her Listen skill to keep alert.

AppearanceFemale half-elf, age 17, blonde, blue eyes, fair skin, 5'-7" tall weight about 125 lbs.

She is described as a willful and free spirited young woman, who likes playing pranks, and flies into fits of rage when bullied.

Edited by rauhric (see edit history)
Name
Listen
1d20+5 6

Wood Elf, Ranger

Rodin starts to pass the torch to Max, but then passes it to Jessie as she offers to carry it so Max's hands could be free if needed. He takes a deep breath and heads down the stairs with Jessie right behind him so he can see.

Hello? My friends and I are wondering if you would be willing to let us pass through your area? We mean you no harm. We are trying to sneak up on the kobolds and drive them out of the caverns. If you are willing to help that would be great, but if not then all we ask is for permission to go through your area so we can get to them.

OOC

Appearance

Name
Diplomacy if needed
1d20 7

image.jpeg.ef18e43ee7d96763c604dc89787a26ab.jpeg 

Dampness enfolds you as you descend the short stairway again. A faintly sulfurous smell tickles your nose, and it gets stronger the lower you go. At the base of the stair, you find yourselves in a rather wide, if low ceilinged cavern filled with small stalactites and stalagmites along with a small pool of water, the tint of its water relaying a notable depth beyond its edges.

Your steps into the cavern set off deep echoes that rumble in the depths of the chamber and clearly announce your arrival. As Rodin speaks, his voice echoes back from the walls of the cavern, setting off an unsettling acoustic effect.

Rodin's entreaty is responded to with silence at first, but suddenly, an echoing voice, ephemeral and a tad shrill, booms out in a ghostly cadence followed by a maniacal laughter.

"What do the living seek in the sepulcher of Galath the betrayed?! Betrayed by small-minded men, glory seekers and snivelers!"

OOC

Note 1:  A Knowledge (Engineering) Check or Knowledge (Geography) Check might reveal more of this location.

MAP

[For sake of clarity, any reference to cardinal directions in posts will assume that North is Top of Map as posted, unless a Compass Rose is visible.]

Wood Elf, Ranger

Rodin keeps walking into the room.

Please come out and talk to us. Maybe there is something we can do for you to earn your trust? All we want is free passage through your area.

He studies the chamber as he moves deeper into it.

OOC

Appearance

Name
Knowledge - Geography check
1d20+2 14

spacer.png 

Rodin is met with silence once more. A moment later, the shrill echoing voice, booms out in a ghostly cadence once more.

"Who are you to summon me forth?! More glory seekers! Something to earn my trust say you?! The treasure of Galath is for Galath alone!

But know this! There is a winged creature who lairs above, and it mocks me, day and night. Bring me the head of this beast, and a one-tenth share of the treasure shall be yours!"

OOC

Note 1:  A Knowledge (Engineering) Check or Knowledge (Geography) Check might reveal more of this location.

MAP

[For sake of clarity, any reference to cardinal directions in posts will assume that North is Top of Map as posted, unless a Compass Rose is visible.]

spacer.png

Jessie frowns when her buddy Rodin's attempts to negotiate safe passage with the Fey supposedly living in the caves below the fortress ruins is met with a booming voice claiming to be Galath.

Well, this is going nowhere fast, thinks the tiny Halfling to herself when mention is made of killing the winged creature living in the oak tree above.  

Whispering to her colleagues, the diminutive rogue says, "This could be a trap. Could even be a Kobold ruse, but let me find out.  If attacked, I'll hit the deck and tumble back to you. You guys be ready to react, if needed."

Stepping forward with the large pot of honey and a tin of sweet crackers, Jessie calls out in her high-pitched voice, "We are not glory-seekers, snivelers, nor are we here for Galath's treasure."

"In fact, we came to add to Galath's treasure with a gift," she proclaims!  "The Kobolds are killing the bees who live here too, and these bees are the local source of honey, as I'm sure you know."

"Since honey now is in short supply until we can deal with these Kobolds, we brought a crock of fresh clover honey and tin of sweeties for you if you will allow us to simply pass through and back safely," she adds with a smile.

Assuming there is not a negative reaction, the Halfling burglar will reluctantly part with her precious honey by stepping forward, putting the crock down and placing the tin of sweet crackers beside of it, and then slowly backing off awaiting the reaction.

OOC

DM - Contingency - If there is a negative reaction, Jessie will not set the gift down and will simply fall back into the middle of the party's ranks

Free Action:

Swift Action:

Standard Action: Readied action to tumble and roll backwards toward party should an attack begin or hostile action be initiated, thus making her small profile even smaller and harder to hit during the tumble

Move:

Wood Elf, Ranger

Rodin lets Jessie move forward and offer her piece offering, but he thinks over what was said.

I am sorry, but we have encountered no winged creature up there. We have encountered giant stinky beetles and giant ants and some kobolds, but no winged creatures. There is the voice from the big tree that has talked to us, but we have not seen what is making the voice so cannot say if it has wings or not.

If that is who you mean, then maybe we can broker some kind of truce between you. I mean for the most part he or it seems to be more about having fun and surviving, which sounds a lot like what most people think of fey too. If you want to leave we could ask it to let you pass and then you two won't have to deal with each other any more. If you wish to stay, then maybe we can make an agreement between you to work together or at the least leave each other alone.

He hopes these guys and whatever is up the tree can be reasonable, but with fey, one can never be sure.

OOC

Appearance

spacer.png

Listening to the exchange and considering an alternative, Maximilian decides to ask a question. "Your offer of one-tenth of the treasure is most generous, and we would like to be helpful. Can you tell us what the winged creature looks like? It would help us if we knew what sort of winged creature to look for, as there might be quite a few different winged creatures up there."

OOC

Appearance

spacer.png 

The echoing voice is quick to respond in its ghostly cadence.

"Leave... Leave?! I am the ghost of Galath, I am bound to this place, it is my torment! Now you wish to torment me too!? I've no need to honey or sweets! Go, go forth and find this beast. It is small, elusive, scaly and rust in tone with curved horns and bat-like wings. A small dragon it seems! Bring me the head so it may torment me no more and a cut of the treasure of Galath shall be yours!"

OOC

Note 1:  

MAP

Edited by Sorithar (see edit history)